Mason and Marcus's selfishness

snk123

...will cost us more points this season.

This is not a knee jerk reaction. I've been saying for over a year and will say again - it is ridiculous that we have professional coaches who have played so much football and can't see this.
In every match, there are 4-5 times where Greenwood doesn't pass when he should.

They are both really talented, but refuse to play the simple pass in crucial moments.

ExoduS

Greenwood usually passes well. I think he is pissed that Ronaldo did not pass to him in last few games. It's not gonna be all roses with Ronaldo.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's so much that I'm worried about Greenwood. It's that I'm worried this coaching team doesn't address issues.

manunited1919

No issue here. He usually passes well, but didn’t see any openings for a good pass today. Credit to Villa defense.

Woodenlung

Rashford hasn't even played a game this season and people are still having a go.

This place is full of absolute melts.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm not too worried about Greenwood in that respect. When he cuts in on his left I always fancy him to have a shot at goal.

PSV

Nah, Greenwood will learn so much from Ronaldo. And after being overlooked twice last weekend he's now doing the same thing. Progress. /s

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Nothing surprising about great youth players (Greenwood) or players who are the manager's favourite (Rashford) getting away with being selfish because they can make the difference.

It's up to the manager and coaches to make them play well for the team.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is a knee jerk reaction. Most of the time passes weren’t on for him, he got absolutely berated by morons for not passing the ball to an offside Ronaldo. :lol:

izec

The coaching team wont do anything about it, the lads should go out there enjoy themselves.

Besides what is the alternative? You would have to know what you are doing, which our coaches dont seem to know. Picking up wages without any sort of proper improvement is their mantra.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
A striker is supposed to be selfish.

Quite frankly there was no one ahead of him that he could pass to, the one time ronaldo was ahead but he was offside.

manunited1919

Yeah right ... Did you forget in the first half what he did to Bruno ?
He got a good opening himself, and any decent striker will take that shot himself once he gets the opening. I am actually happy he took that particular shot.

This is a knee jerk reaction. Most of the time passes weren’t on for him, he got absolutely berated by morons for not passing the ball to an offside Ronaldo. :lol:
Yup. A player with Greenwood's abilities will always go for the shot when it's on.

He should have squared it to Fernandes when he was through in the first half, but we've all seen Greenwood score from that position enough times to know exactly why he took it on.

More importantly, he's gone from being a bystander for large portions of the game to consistently looking like our most threatening player this season, which takes some doing when you consider the players around him. Going to have a massive season, and the idea that he'll "cost us points" is extremely silly from what we've seen in these first 6 games.

manunited1919

But Bruno was in a better position, a tap in position. If he takes the shot, it has to be much more venomous than that.
Agree his execution could have been better, but don’t see a glaring mistake on his decision making.

Davie Moyes

Probably the right foot shot with Bruno in a better position was the wrong decision. The rest were hopeful efforts but he has a knack usually of getting goals from these shots so not overly concerning.

The bigger concern for me today was our only chances created or efforts on goal all came from Mason. We offered absolutely nothing else.

LoneStar

There was an easy pass to Bruno who had a clear shot on goal but he decided to take the shot instead.
No striker would pass that opportunity by passing to a teammate.

Granted, he should have done so much better with that time and space. But he can't be blamed for going for it.

vanrooney

No striker would pass that opportunity by passing to a teammate.

Granted, he should have done so much better with that time and space. But he can't be blamed for going for it.
you are right- most strikers wont pass but i would love it if he did. In saf days most of the time if there was theopportunity for an open goal the ball was passed - could be revisionism though

LoneStar

you are right- most strikers wont pass but i would love it if he did. In saf days most of the time if there was theopportunity for an open goal the ball was passed - could be revisionism though
I was more shocked that he didn't really trouble the keeper there, should have been a goal for me, especially with his finishing ability.

CloneMC16

He was selfish, but he was our most dangerous player by far. There needs to be a better balance. I won't compare him to Rashford. Rashford did this in many games last season and ran into blind alleys constantly. Mason actually did make chances, but he needs to pass when it's on. Not passing to Bruno probably cost us this game tbh. If he passes, we highly likely go 1-0 up and win the game.

vanrooney

I was more shocked that he didn't really trouble the keeper there, should have been a goal for me, especially with his finishing ability.
absolutely - also thought he will score and always have a good feeling with him. But I would have preferred it if he squares it for a 100% chance. 1-0 up at a very decisive moment

RuudTom83

I think the pressure and the crowd got to Mason today, he wasn't as stone cold in front of goal as he normally is.

snk123

Thread by "Anthony's fanboy"
:lol: Martial can feck off as he’s not putting the effort required this season so far.

Now can we talk about glaring deficiency in Greenwood and Rashford’s decision making? How can our coaches not teach them when to pass and when to shoot?

snk123

Rashford hasn't even played a game this season and people are still having a go.

This place is full of absolute melts.
Unless he’s coming back with a brain transplant - its going to be the same “running into defenders” with him. And i have been saying this over 1.5 years now only to be shown stats of goals and assists.

Football is a team sport. You can have all the stats you want but you can’t win trophies on individual brilliance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Unless he’s coming back with a brain transplant - its going to be the same “running into defenders” with him. And i have been saying this over 1.5 years now only to be shown stats of goals and assists.

Football is a team sport. You can have all the stats you want but you can’t win trophies on individual brilliance.
Yeah goals and assists are overrated, I agree with that.

snk123

Yeah goals and assists are overrated, I agree with that.
I meant stats are overrated you smart ass. They don’t show you “decision making”.

Greenwood has amazing stats today…shots on target, dribbles, beating his man etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I meant stats are overrated you smart ass. They don’t show you “decision making”.

Greenwood has amazing stats today…shots on target, dribbles, beating his man etc.
Decision making is not just final pass in final third smart ass.

Every moment on the pitch involves decision making.

Stats are overrated for dumb guys who think high pass completion means better decision making and better passer of the ball.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That chance he had when he opted not to score the ball to Bruno he should've scored. That's the difference between this thread being made and another thread being made of his finishing.

pascell

No one would be arsed about his 'selfishness' if he'd stuck one in the top or bottom corner. You can't fault him for trying and he tried squaring/crossing it plenty of times during the week and today.

It's up to the coaching staff to make sure players are creating space for him to express himself and to get the shot off.

Bet none of you were arsed when he was selfish and won us the game vs Wolves eh!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
There was a 2 yard pass on for Bruno which would have been tap in for Bruno.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There was a 2 yard pass on for Bruno which would have been tap in for Bruno.
Okay, so one instance where he made the wrong decision. I think that justifies a thread slagging off him and a player that hasn’t featured this season yet.