Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYAS

@Strelok

The full-backs push high up to stretch and provide width while the two DMs (Wilian Arao and Gerson) cover the mid-zones out wide behind the FBs.

It also must be noted that they did this while playing a very high line and so the spaces were very compact - it minimised the risk of getting countered and at the same time the two wide forwards and the two techno-midgets were always pretty close together in attacking zones to initiate the combination play to break down parked buses. When they can’t do that and it’s too congested in the centre of the opposition defence they ping it out wide to Felipe Luis or Rafinha.

In my first post on the issue I mentioned it in a counter-attacking scenario where the two forwards would split - but to break down a low block as you mentioned, the above scenario is how they went about it for most of their games.

Strelok

@Strelok

The full-backs push high up to stretch and provide width while the two DMs (Wilian Arao and Gerson) cover the mid-zones out wide behind the FBs.

It also must be noted that they did this while playing a very high line and so the spaces were very compact - it minimised the risk of getting countered and at the same time the two wide forwards and the two techno-midgets were always pretty close together in attacking zones to initiate the combination play to break down parked buses. When they can’t do that and it’s too congested in the centre of the opposition defence they ping it out wide to Felipe Luis or Rafinha.

In my first post on the issue I mentioned it in a counter-attacking scenario where the two forwards would split - but to break down a low block as you mentioned, the above scenario is how they went about it for most of their games.
Thank you for the details info.

This sounds interesting but imo a bit risky against most PL teams. Most of them have good pacey wingers/forwards. While we have Maguire and Telles on the left. In a very high line. Imo they'd simply focus to attack that weak point by playing long ball to the space behind them. Fred alone won't suffice I think.

NYAS

Thank you for the details info.

This sounds interesting but imo a bit risky against most PL teams. Most of them have good pacey wingers/forwards. While we have Maguire and Telles on the left. In a very high line. Imo they'd simply focus to attack that weak point by playing long ball to the space behind them. Fred alone won't suffice I think.
Yes the main issue for me in that scenario is we need Axel to solidify a spot in the defence. Maguire and Lindelof would get killed in a high-line counter. On the other hand remember how good Smalling was alongside Blind under LVG defending those situations. So a pacey CB is essential.

Flamengo did get killed a few times with that by the way, they didn’t have a particularly quick CB, certainly not as fast as Axel/Smalling. But they scored so many goals at the other end so it didn’t matter much.

Strelok

Yes the main issue for me in that scenario is we need Axel to solidify a spot in the defence. Maguire and Lindelof would get killed in a high-line counter. On the other hand remember how good Smalling was alongside Blind under LVG defending those situations. So a pacey CB is essential.

Flamengo did get killed a few times with that by the way, they didn’t have a particularly quick CB, certainly not as fast as Axel/Smalling. But they scored so many goals at the other end so it didn’t matter much.
The last part is very interesting.

Thanks again.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Massive game (maybe couple) for him to lockdown the striker spot.

Could be the beginning of something amazing

G-MUFC

I would love Mason to get a good run of games playing centrally as a striker. His finishing is sensational and hopefully he'll become a better player with learning from Cavani.
I'd love to see him score the winners against Leipzig and City in the next week!

meamth

Dont know why Greenwood lashed out at that last chance when he was clean through 1v1.
I like that. Gone were the days of top forwards trying to hit the ball first time ala RVP, Rooney (pre bald days), Ruud, Shearer..

He is trying stuff like that and I'd like him to keep trying until he gets the confidence and timing right.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
This kid is a real talent. In my view, he is a center forward, not inside forward. Has excellent shooting ability. Off the ball movement could be better, but that will come with good coaching.

I am no United fan, but I genuinely feel happy when academy players make it at the top level.

NYAS

This kid is a real talent. In my view, he is a center forward, not inside forward. Has excellent shooting ability. Off the ball movement could be better, but that will come with good coaching.

I am no United fan, but I genuinely feel happy when academy players make it at the top level.
Yeah Greenwood might be good but he’s nowhere near as good as Roy Krishna ;)

ash_86

I like to see hm improve his movement. I'm worried if that's something that needs to come naturally.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Man, that early chance. That's the sort of thing he usually makes light work off.
Yep. Given how shambolic we were i really don't think it would have made a difference.

snk123

Selfish af. One of the worst players to play with if you’re his team mate

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Greenwood won the penalty and he looked good in the build up. Some of his touches to take him away from a marker were top quality. However, the part of his game we rely most on was missing tonight. He had sight of goal in good areas tonight. Didn't take the chance.

OldTrevil

Him, Pogba and Bruno are the only attacking players that would get any credit from me tonight, and still the latter's first half perfirmance was a stinker

spiriticon

Can't believe I'm about to say this but he's learning too much from Rashford and Martial and turning into them.

He did ok tonight but man he really needed to score that chance

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought he was brilliant personally

All strikers are going to have games where they don't hit the back of the net but remember this kid is 19 years old

Gonna be WC

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think he got clattered. Defender tried to manhandle him. Perhaps safe to say both tried to get an edge in a not totally honest way and the defender came off worse
Yeah this is what I thought, defender was a bit of an idiot to clatter into the back of him.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I actually thought he was really bad until the final 15-20 minutes when he came alive. Much like the team in general. Anyway not a slight against him, he’s not the issue in any way.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think he got clattered. Defender tried to manhandle him. Perhaps safe to say both tried to get an edge in a not totally honest way and the defender came off worse
Absolute run of the mill shoulder to shoulder challenge and Greenwood threw himself to the ground. It was a very soft penalty. Who cares though. We're out.

Conor

Rashford should have passed to him on the edge of the box in the first half, he would have buried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.