Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
We've got 3 strikers and they're all having to play in 3 different positions :lol:. Thought it was pretty poor form when we were going forward toward the end and Bruno tried to lay in Martial instead of Greenwood and he just stood there giving the mean mug to Bruno. Know your place rookie. Get back and do your defending and Bruno will find you on the next one.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Pretty one dimensional at the minute on the wing. He does one of 2 things:

1) comes inside and passes square. A Juan Mata trademark pass from right wing you could say.

2) comes inside and tries to get an early shot away which is blocked.

Needs to mix it up a bit. Not really trying to create at all and not using his right foot as much either.

lex talionis

Sophomore slump, no real cause for concern. He's still working hard and not losing his head when things aren't going right for him.

Who knows where his ceiling is, but for those who remember Cristiano Ronaldo at the same as Mason Greenwood is now, 19, you couldn't argue that Ronaldo was all that much better, if at all, than Greenwood is now. But how Greenwood pulls out of this pause in his development will tell us a lot about how good, or great, he will be when he's 21 years old.

G-MUFC

I'd like to see him playing as a central striker more often. He's not a right winger.
I don't think that Martial has done anything special this season, and Cavani is likely to be banned for three games soon.
We've seen at West Ham his ability when he's in the box.
We're the only top club around that would lump a player with his finishing ability out on the right wing!:mad:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought he was rather poor.

GueRed

look at all the anti-english crawling out the woodwork and turning on him

I bet they'll all fanboys of lazy duo martial and pogba who had years to prove themselves and flopped

Acole9

Outstanding
He was ok, there was one moment where Fernandes could've played him in and I think he would've had a good chance of scoring.

Holocene

I bet they'll all fanboys of lazy duo martial and pogba who had years to prove themselves and flopped
Some narrative you're running away with there.

He was poor today. He's limited on the right, always wanting to cut inside. I can't wait to see him given some games down the middle.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think it's accurate to disseminate words about Mason being a greedy player. He has shown on many occasions that he has a good vision for a pass and is capable of finding his target if it's on. However, he is starved of chances playing out wide at the moment. Starved of confidence. While the other winger and striker gets to play on the shoulder through the middle he has to keep width in the build up and is getting the ball with his back against the goal, way too much. When he does get the ball, it's usually too late for him to do much because of our slow build up on the left side and convoluted passing. This means when he gets a chance half as good as his partners up front, in the position he normally will score from, he'll obviously shoot his shot. The fact they haven't went in is what you have a problem with, not the fact he is shooting from those positions.

So stop saying he is greedy etc. He has proved he can score from them, he just needs more opportunities and better opportunities like Rashford and Martial have gotten without scoring. Greenwood is already the best finisher at the club, and looks like he has the potential to become the most tidy of our attackers in quick build up play as well. Considering he is the youngest of everyone too, I think it's fair to give him some time instead of putting simpleminded labels on him after barely one and a half season of football at the professional level. Rashford had a chance to pass to Greenwood for an easy tap in and didn't have his head up, that was way more selfish than anything I've seen Greenwood do this game. Lazy opinions growing.

I would like for us to not sub him off when the game is opening up and we get chances but he isn't there to finish them off. It makes no sense to me to let him play out wide in a tough game where he'll not see a lot of the ball around the box, then sub him off when he needs to get a goal. I think our other attackers should really let him shine, he is a kid and needs their help but I sense there might be some unhealthy competition going on. I hope I'm wrong and that the trio can build relationships on the pitch instead of competing to the point it ruins the chemistry. Greenwood would have no problem with passing the ball instead of shooting if his teammates did the same, I assure you.

GueRed

Some narrative you're running away with there.

He was poor today. He's limited on the right, always wanting to cut inside. I can't wait to see him given some games down the middle.
Mason is a baby in comparision to those experienced flops. they've been given enough time, one of them even wants out!

Fans turning on Mason who's had only one senior season under his belt and the anti english fans turning on him already is a joke

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was OK. He usually is a bit anonymous, but overall I liked his performance. I hope he starts on Sunday. Was close to scoring once, worked well to find space for a shot.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm waiting for a game where we pin a team in with him constantly getting on the ball like our best forwards in the past would do. We don't get him involved enough yet.

Holocene

Mason is a baby in comparision to those experienced flops. they've been given enough time, one of them even wants out!

Fans turning on Mason who's had only one senior season under his belt and the anti english fans turning on him already is a joke
I don't see fans turning on him. Criticism is fine. He's playing at the highest level and has lots of areas to his game where he can improve.

Mcking

I'm waiting for a game where we pin a team in with him constantly getting on the ball like our best forwards in the past would do. We don't get him involved enough yet.
He is part of the problem though. He just doesn't do much to allow us to maintain pressure.

TrustInOle

If he can improve his movement and decision making, which isn't really a criticism given his age, he will be impossible to play against. Always seems to have to try and beat a man before he gets his shots off. But would love to see him get a run of games as our striker.

Red00012

Anti English ? The English rags destroyed him the 1st opportunity they could .
There’s no one turning on him , if you have watched him he’s been only ok/ average compared to last season . He’s very predictable when he’s going to shoot as the defender is blocking it. Teams are doing their homework on him he just needs to change it up a bit.
granted he’s probably not a RW

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He actually played well today, he moved the ball well when he got it and unfortunately just never got a solid chance on goal. He’s a bit of a lost man on the right, we never seem to want to move the ball over there. Saying he had a poor match just because he didn’t score is stupid though, he clearly did well.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He confuses me. He doesn't do the things a 19 year old academy kid is supposed to do, but does the things they don't.

He's woeful at tracking back. He barely looks bothered half the time. He doesn't display great energy, or pashun. He doesn't look to play percentage balls for others.

But he does have a fantastic touch, and if he gets anywhere near the opponents box scares the sh*t out of them.

If he could just do more of the 'I'm new here so I want to impress' part of a young footballer, we'd look way better.

That said, if he doesn't start contributing in the league soon and we manage to get a right-sided attacker in...I really don't think you start him.

Mr PG

Didn’t do much wrong but starved of chances atm. Rarely ever loses the ball but he needs to learn behind the defense runs.

39th minute he controlled the ball so well from midfield and the pass to Martial and nice run but the return pass didn’t arrive.

Improves our intricate play by magnitudes but if he doesn’t score fans automtically assume he is poor.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's still like 12. He' doing fine.

meamth

I think he is the only first touch finishers among those 3.

Cavani is another one, but he wont be here for long.

He was alright, got involved in neat combination with Bruno in the first half, mostly overlooked by hungry Martial and Rashford. Nothing to worry about. He is not regressing ffs.

Matt851

He confuses me. He doesn't do the things a 19 year old academy kid is supposed to do, but does the things they don't.

He's woeful at tracking back. He barely looks bothered half the time. He doesn't display great energy, or pashun. He doesn't look to play percentage balls for others.

But he does have a fantastic touch, and if he gets anywhere near the opponents box scares the sh*t out of them.

If he could just do more of the 'I'm new here so I want to impress' part of a young footballer, we'd look way better.

That said, if he doesn't start contributing in the league soon and we manage to get a right-sided attacker in...I really don't think you start him.
I agree with this, he doesnt seem to get the ball as often as other attackers but think thats due to his poor movement and current poor form.

A lot of people are calling for him to play up front but its not exactly unusual for centre forwards with a slighter build to start playing out wide and i think right wing is probably his best position at the moment. He does need to improve in the position though, partly by increasing his workrate and also mixing it up more - sometimes going down the outside and crossing rather than just coming inside to shoot

He does have extra pressure put on him by the mess the club have made of recruiting a senior rw though. We really need a decent rw who doesnt want to come inside all the time but have instead bought two young prospects who are behind greenwood in there development. A more senior right winger would take some of the pressure of greenwood and free him up to play cf occassionally

GueRed

There’s no one turning on him , if you have watched him he’s been only ok/ average compared to last season . He’s very predictable when he’s going to shoot as the defender is blocking it. Teams are doing their homework on him he just needs to change it up a bit.

he's 19. he's a developing footballer and developing as a human being. He's not the finished article fans are expecting

Martial has been given SIX seasons to prove himself and still his fanboys fall over themselves over him

Greenwood has got only ONE senior season under his belt and you got the rat fans turning on him already

I bet Greenwood's haters are Martial and Pogba fanboys

He's got plenty of talent and could potentially have a great career. His inconsistency and poor decision making is due to his inexperience - if he learns and overcomes this then he'll be great. He's also dealing with teams preparing to stop him, he's no suprise element now.

MattyLT

RW isn't his favourite position, and it isn't where his future lies. He was the most anonymous of the attacking players yesterday. But he works hard, tracks back, presses the opposition and creates space for others by demanding a bit of attention from opposition defence. And that's all you can ask, so I gave him a 7 rating. But it's clear he doesn't have the penetration and creativity from the right that Rashford offers from the left. Hopefully, come January, we'll start seeing him more on top. He's good a holding up the ball, and bring others into play or attract fouls. And that will be a good thing for a striker to have.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah right wing isn't great for him. He can make it work sometimes but hes definitely a striker. Also he's cutting in on his left far too often right now. That Rashford pass where he dribbled through everyone then laid it off to Greenwood should be a first time shot with his right, instead he takes a couple of touches to bring it on his left and the chance is gone. Young and learning.

When the 3 of them play together though, I wish Ole would play Greenwood through the middle, and use Rashford and Martial on the wings. Rashford on the right and Martial left. It gives us better balance, and Martial will be happier/better playing deeper while we'd have the strikers instinct in Greenwood in the box. Should be Cavani and Greenwood rotating the #9 spot with Martial and Rashford as the left and right inside forwards/winger.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
For me, he does well whenever he gets the ball for the most part, but he struggles to consistently stay involved in the game. It think its a positional thing. Possibly a confidence thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was ok, there was one moment where Fernandes could've played him in and I think he would've had a good chance of scoring.
That really surprised me, he forced a pass to rashford instead and lost it when greenwood was wide open - that made me feel like they sense he's low on confidence or something.

To be fair to him he hardly had the ball, most of the time we went down the left - when he did get it he used it quite well.

Just needs to calm down a bit in the box, he's looked a little rushed lately. Anyway, 2nd season syndrome.

mav_9me

His right foot is great. Surprised to see him cut in so much all the time.

wolvored

Thats it in a nutshell. Opposition managers have watched him and hes not the surprise package he was. Hes 19 and going to make mistakes. If hes gonna be a top player hes got 4 maybe 5 years to improve no end. His ceiling is higher than Martials imo and will be a better striker than him.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
he's 19. he's a developing footballer and developing as a human being. He's not the finished article fans are expecting

Martial has been given SIX seasons to prove himself and still his fanboys fall over themselves over him

Greenwood has got only ONE senior season under his belt and you got the rat fans turning on him already

I bet Greenwood's haters are Martial and Pogba fanboys
You're inventing your own narrative here fella. People can be critical of him if he isn't putting in the performance but show me where people are writing him off like they've done with both Rashford and Martial so many times.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is great in his debut season, but like many others before him, got “found out” in his 2nd season. Seems he is going to follow Martial footsteps, talent player with brilliant and promising debut season, but afterwards becoming inconsistent over the years, but still manage to score 10-15 goals, and sometimes in good form could managed 20+ goals per season. (Martial was arguably our best player last season mind)

It’s still too early to judge though. But he is no Haaland for sure. I have no idea how good he could be, but he is surely a very talent young player with great finishing.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He is great in his debut season, but like many others before him, got “found out” in his 2nd season. Seems he is going to follow Martial footsteps, talent player with brilliant and promising debut season, but afterwards becoming inconsistent over the years, but still manage to score 10-15 goals, and sometimes 20 goals per season.
I’m glad you’ve mapped out his career for him, based on a handful of performances this season.

The majority of our fan base don’t even deserve the sheer depth of quality talent we get from our academy. Never seen more young players written off so fast as on here. He’s 19 and his whole career ahead of him. He’s a huge talent. He may or may not fulfil his promise but it is way too early to tell. How much he can develop between now and 22/23 is massive, and a difficult few months won’t change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.