Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Pscholes18

I think the higher ups give feck all about what he did and want him back ASAP. They are just buying their time until out of sight out of mind or a 100mil offer comes in.

Besides the obvious black cloud over his head, isn't he a bit of an arrogant cnut?

Yorke to Cole

Is this an important backdrop? I'm not really sure it is.

He was the one who put himself out of contention for a year from his own behaviour. I don't really see how Ronaldo can be a such a harmful impact if he had such a strong mentality as you suggest. When you even say he was a model professional in terms of application and conditioning - something Greenwood objectively wasn't.

I'm honestly struggling to understand the point in all that you wrote there apart from him being potentially sociopathic?
I wrote that in response to a discussion that occurred prior to what I wrote. I just did not quote anything that was said. There were suggestions that Greenwood "spat his dummy out" when Ronaldo joined and his on field professionalism was not what required.

The fact was, he was no worse than. Rashford, Sancho and others. If anything he was better. I recall a lot criticism of Rangnick when he withdrew Greenwood in the 1-0 nil defeat at home to Wolves. Rashford came on and was atrocious. After Wolves scored, he let a ball run under his foot and out of play when there was opportunity to attack that game.

Coincidentally, that was a match in which Ronaldo was captain.

Rangnick started introducing Elanga, so that is reflection of Sancho and Rashford's form. Cavani decided to check out as did Pogba. Ronaldo was not the signing for the club to make during that summer in terms of team dynamics. Period.

lysglimt

Scout
The biggest con is the potential blowback from sponsors or fans if he returns - the biggest pro is the way we are playing at the moment the blowback from sponsors and fans is happening anyway

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wrote that in response to a discussion that occurred prior to what I wrote. I just did not quote anything that was said. There were suggestions that Greenwood "spat his dummy out" when Ronaldo joined and his on field professionalism was not what required.

The fact was, he was no worse than. Rashford, Sancho and others. If anything he was better. I recall a lot criticism of Rangnick when he withdrew Greenwood in the 1-0 nil defeat at home to Wolves. Rashford came on and was atrocious. After Wolves scored, he let a ball run under his foot and out of play when there was opportunity to attack that game.

Coincidentally, that was a match in which Ronaldo was captain.

Rangnick started introducing Elanga, so that is reflection of Sancho and Rashford's form. Cavani decided to check out as did Pogba. Ronaldo was not the signing for the club to make during that summer in terms of team dynamics. Period.
These are all players who's attitudes are being questioned now though, I'm slightly confused if it's meant to be in defence of Greenwood?

Cavani is the only one I understand checking out because he had to be convinced to stay and then they went and signed Ronaldo for his position. I am with you it wasn't the right signing, but for someone like Greenwood, there's no way he can use it as some sort of excuse for his own performances that weren't great - or at least weren't at the level where he could be relied upon to lead the line.

Apologies if I'm missing the point, but in relation to Greenwood, I don't see how it should have any effect if he was the elite talent and had a strong mentality as you say.

Yorke to Cole

The biggest con is the potential blowback from sponsors or fans if he returns - the biggest pro is the way we are playing at the moment the blowback from sponsors and fans is happening anyway
The initial process suggested that sponsors were not opposed to him coming back and nor was the women's team as they are or were being run as a separate entity to the men's team. As a collective (individually they have felt different) they are more concerned with their progress and hoping for more funding into facilities and of course their own team.

Yorke to Cole

These are all players who's attitudes are being questioned now though, I'm slightly confused if it's meant to be in defence of Greenwood?

Cavani is the only one I understand checking out because he had to be convinced to stay and then they went and signed Ronaldo for his position. I am with you it wasn't the right signing, but for someone like Greenwood, there's no way he can use it as some sort of excuse for his own performances that weren't great - or at least weren't at the level where he could be relied upon to lead the line.

Apologies if I'm missing the point, but in relation to Greenwood, I don't see how it should have any effect if he was the elite talent and had a strong mentality as you say.
My apologies as I did not quote anything prior to what wrote last night ( I was exhausted yesterday, reading everything with INEOS/ trawler, and getting ready for Christmas).

What I am saying is, I do not think his form was spectacular but I do not think he was worse than Rashford, Sancho and others.

There were matches during his absence where I think he would have been better that what we had going into the end of the season. Sancho's best matches was Leeds 4-2 away and the 3-2 win against Spurs. I think Greenwood would have been better than what we had in the 1-0 defeat to Everton, we would have won that Cup tie with the scandalous hand ball.

Last edited:

Pes6Monster

I'm glad I'm such a simpleton that I don't feel the need to discuss the details of the UK's judicial system and the difference between "innocent", "guilty" and "not guilty" ad infinitum.

Nor do I feel the need to try to prove to others that he's a really good player, or that he's overrated.

All I need to know is that he's a wealthy man who threatened to rape his girlfriend. That he said "I don't care if you want to have sex with me", told her to "move your fecking legs up" to which she replied "I don't want to" and asked him to stop putting his penis near her. To which our golden boy replied with more demands and threats. This makes him a pretty vile cnut in my eyes, the type I don't want to see representing the club I support.

It sure is unfortunate for him to be in a situation where he, for whatever reason, cannot give public explanations to what I heard. Unfortunately nothing changes for me until he does.

Good that he's doing decently in Spain. Helps us to get rid of him.
Quite.

It's ridiculous this is even being discussed.

Get, and stay, out.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My apologies as I did not quote anything prior to what wrote last night ( I was exhausted yesterday, reading everything with INEOS/ trawler, and getting ready for Christmas).

What I am saying is, I do not think his form was spectacular but I do not think he was worse than Rashford, Sancho and others.

There were matches during his absence where I think he would have been better that what we had going into the end of the season. Sancho's best matches was Leeds 4-2 away and the 3-2 win against Spurs. I think Greenwood would have been better than what we had in the 1-0 defeat to Everton, we would have that Cup tie with the scandalous hand ball.
No need to apologise, It's Christmas after all!

For sure, Rashford at least picked it up after Ronaldo left, so you thought that may have been the cause - doesn't really seem to be though with his huge drop again.

I think you're right, but there are lots of games we also didn't need a selfish player like Greenwood. That's the point, we should be using both players to their strengths in rotation, especially as they're young lads. They both seemed to have issues not being regular starters though and expect to just start because of talent. There's fault on both sides here, context might explain some of it, but there's a lot of fault with both players as well. Saka for example was dropped in as a wing back for his development, with absolutely no grumble and just played his way into the right wing spot. Can you imagine either of those two if that was asked of them :lol: .

Yorke to Cole

No need to apologise, It's Christmas after all!

For sure, Rashford at least picked it up after Ronaldo left, so you thought that may have been the cause - doesn't really seem to be though with his huge drop again.

I think you're right, but there are lots of games we also didn't need a selfish player like Greenwood. That's the point, we should be using both players to their strengths in rotation, especially as they're young lads. They both seemed to have issues not being regular starters though and expect to just start because of talent. There's fault on both sides here, context might explain some of it, but there's a lot of fault with both players as well. Saka for example was dropped in as a wing back for his development, with absolutely no grumble and just played his way into the right wing spot. Can you imagine either of those two if that was asked of them :lol: .
Unfortunately, as much as I like Rashford as( I am sure the majority do in their heart of hearts despite bad performances) he is not the talisman that he has been perceived in the past.

Now I acknowledge that he does not seem that popular on this website, but I saw an interview with Jamie Jackson and he said "as good as Rashford is, he is not an elite player, he is to United what Sterling was to Man City."

Jackson in this instance was absolutely spot on in my opinion. He is more than capable in a Premier League winning team, but he is the support cast. As an analogy, if it was a movie up for Academy Awards, he would be nominated for supporting actor and it would be someone like Harry Kane as Best Actor.

Which leads us to think maybe Rashford expected someone like that walking through the door this summer and he is naturally disappointed?

Going back to Greenwood, I always remember what Ferguson said about him; "he is extremely cold and calm and he is always between the posts." In other words, he is potentially a dangerous finisher.

Again, my opinion, I think Greenwood has the potential to be that more ruthless finisher and mentally stronger than Rashford.

K Stand Knut

Personally I don't care how good he was, is or might become. He could be better than Messi at his height for all I care and I wouldn't have him back for one second.

This idea that some put about that he was never convicted in court, that charges were dropped, that people are innocent until proven guilty etc. is rendered entirely moot by the damning images and audio his partner released for the world to consume.

If there's even a shred of truth in that content then he's a reprehensible individual who has no right wearing the shirt and representing our great club.

Just my opinion of course.
What IF there isn’t a thread of truth??

Just saying

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Unfortunately, as much as I like Rashford as( I am sure the majority do in their heart of hearts despite bad performances) he is not the talisman that he has been perceived in the past.

Now I acknowledge that he does not seem that popular on this website, but I saw an interview with Jamie Jackson and he said "as good as Rashford is, he is not an elite player, he is to United what Sterling was to Man City."

Jackson in this instance was absolutely spot on in my opinion. He is more than capable in a Premier League winning team, but he is the support cast. As an analogy, if it was a movie up for Academy Awards, he would be nominated for supporting actor and it would be someone like Harry Kane as Best Actor.

Which leads us to think maybe Rashford expected someone like that walking through the door this summer and he is naturally disappointed?

Going back to Greenwood, I always remember what Ferguson said about him; "he is extremely cold and calm and he is always between the posts." In other words, he is potentially a dangerous finisher.

Again, my opinion, I think Greenwood has the potential to be that more ruthless finisher and mentally stronger than Rashford.
I'd have to agree with that as well.

He's a bit of an enigma, as I don't think there's a great deal that's changed with the team, so his downturn in form seems to be very internal to him. Or even if it's external, it seems extremely minor and doesn't warrant the sheer drop in quality and effort.

I would say you're right, but he's not proved he's anywhere near as professional as Rashford. If he's grown up a bit after all that's gone on and his time at Getafe turns him into a more dedicated and well rounded player - you're probably right. If he falls into the same pitfalls as he did when he came through, I think we'll be looking back at both careers and Rashford will come out on top.

Yorke to Cole

I'd have to agree with that as well.

He's a bit of an enigma, as I don't think there's a great deal that's changed with the team, so his downturn in form seems to be very internal to him. Or even if it's external, it seems extremely minor and doesn't warrant the sheer drop in quality and effort.

I would say you're right, but he's not proved he's anywhere near as professional as Rashford. If he's grown up a bit after all that's gone on and his time at Getafe turns him into a more dedicated and well rounded player - you're probably right. If he falls into the same pitfalls as he did when he came through, I think we'll be looking back at both careers and Rashford will come out on top.

You could well be right. I don't know. I don't know anything with club at the moment and what the future holds?

I think the profile of player that INEOS go for, may well change. Young, perhaps unknown. I would not be surprised if a lot of French nationals/African players get linked ked. The reason being Nice and the French academy Clairefontaine.

We shall see.

freddie the red

What IF there isn’t a thread of truth??

Just saying
What IF indeed!

The way the matter has been left in the public eye is, I think, regrettable but if there wasn't a shred of truth then what would there be to stop the partner from subsequently stating that it was all a mistake, things got out of hand, Mason didn't do this and we want to apologise for the misunderstanding and put it all behind us so that he can get on with his career at Manchester United?

We heard and saw what we heard and saw and it was disgusting. As far as I'm aware there's been no statement by either individual concerned to say that the audio/imagery was falsified or that devices/accounts had been hacked.

We do know that the case had to be dropped when a key witness (the partner concerned presumably) withdrew their testimony and (apparently) new evidence came to light, whatever that was, but there's been no evidence to suggest that Greenwood didn't actually do these things so we only have what we have.

I've formed my opinion based on that but am quite prepared to reconsider if new or different information is made available to the public.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
But Ronaldo was fine? Oh the morals
You want to ignore Greenwood's behaviour because you can find another United player who may have behaved very badly indeed? What an incredibly odd whataboutism.

If you aren't just wanting to ignore or condone Greenwood's behaviour you would presumably think we shouldn't have resigned Ronaldo. But no. So ....

Andersonson

You want to ignore Greenwood's behaviour because you can find another United player who may have behaved very badly indeed? What an incredibly odd whataboutism.

If you aren't just wanting to ignore or condone Greenwood's behaviour you would presumably think we shouldn't have resigned Ronaldo. But no. So ....
I don't want us to ignore anything, loaning him out was the right thing to do. We should recall him in januray. No point in giving him harder punishment than the standards set previously.

Trequarista10

This subreddit vividly reflects the split opinions. Should Greenwood return, he'd inevitably become the focal point of admiration, criticism, and scrutiny. Were I his advisor, I'd recommend staying in Spain—maintaining a low profile, learning from past errors, and concentrating on family and football.

At just 21, excelling on the field and developing his game, Greenwood, a rare and costly winger, should think twice about returning to Old Trafford. With confidence soaring and a solid contract, he can afford to bide his time. Real Madrid or Barcelona might come knocking, especially considering his potential availability at a reasonable price. His friend Bellingham might be whispering things in his ears.

While most analyze the situation from United's viewpoint, it's crucial to remember Greenwood holds sway over his future. Recall, even Ronaldo departed during Ferguson's reign. Does Greenwood truly desire a return? Consider this alternative perspective.
Agreed. If I were Greenwood's advisor or family member, I'd advise him to stay abroad and avoid returning to England where'd he become a very public figure of hate. He could be aiming for a move potentially to a Madrid or Barca, but if not, the likes of Atletico, PSG, Juve, Bayern, or a dozen or so clubs a tier below that. United's toothless attack isn't Greenwood's priority, rather the safety and privacy of his family. Returning to England to face a media storm both inside and outside of football, to play for an awful United side where he's expected to transform the attack, doesn't seem like an appealing option at all.

croadyman

I’m happy either way. I’ll stand by the clubs decision. We’ve not had him for like 2 years now anyway so it’s not like we’d miss him. He’d probably help us out yes but it would still hide the cracks. Can’t rely on certain individuals to bail us out if we can’t perform as a team.
Yeah I feel exactly the same,wonder if anyone from the club will meet with him whilst he is over here on that league break

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What IF indeed!

The way the matter has been left in the public eye is, I think, regrettable but if there wasn't a shred of truth then what would there be to stop the partner from subsequently stating that it was all a mistake, things got out of hand, Mason didn't do this and we want to apologise for the misunderstanding and put it all behind us so that he can get on with his career at Manchester United?

We heard and saw what we heard and saw and it was disgusting. As far as I'm aware there's been no statement by either individual concerned to say that the audio/imagery was falsified or that devices/accounts had been hacked.

We do know that the case had to be dropped when a key witness (the partner concerned presumably) withdrew their testimony and (apparently) new evidence came to light, whatever that was, but there's been no evidence to suggest that Greenwood didn't actually do these things so we only have what we have.

I've formed my opinion based on that but am quite prepared to reconsider if new or different information is made available to the public.
Very good post.

People seem to forget the bail breaking, and the judge's words on the handling of that too...

Also didn't the CPS statement say "witnesses" which means more than one pulled out? After he broke bail and got her pregnant of course.

In any case it seems people have moved on to the acceptance stage, so that's at least good.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Personally I don't care how good he was, is or might become. He could be better than Messi at his height for all I care and I wouldn't have him back for one second.

This idea that some put about that he was never convicted in court, that charges were dropped, that people are innocent until proven guilty etc. is rendered entirely moot by the damning images and audio his partner released for the world to consume.

If there's even a shred of truth in that content then he's a reprehensible individual who has no right wearing the shirt and representing our great club.

Just my opinion of course.
And my opinion too, for what it's worth.

ajaxunited34

Supports
United
He came close to losing it all.
Being sidelined for 18 months,being public enemy nr1 .
Not knowing if he'll ever play football again.
That must have been a wake-up call.
Life has probably taught him a lesson.
He will probably bow his head down and focus on his football.
Even his football might change as he was always accustomed to play in the stronger team.
At getafe they are streetfighters with an over my dead body mentality.
If he picks up that quality from his time at getafe.
His next club will have a sweet deal.
As i am certain we will not see him back at old trafford.
At the age of 21 the sky is still the limit for him.
He could become the next Ribery.

Last edited:

Litch

I think judgements based on moral compasses are always difficult cause as individuals and as a club, we all arent consistent in how we apply them whether as a fan or personally.

We have players who have committed crimes still playing at our club, yet they have been forgiven. We have owners who have committed crimes against our club, yet we still buy shirts and turn up every home game. We have black players that are racial abused on line by utd fans and players who have had family members abused in the ground. We have had angry fans protest outside of peoples houses that have children or love one inside. We have had dealth treats to players from utd fans.
Same fans that talk about human rights but want owners where thats questionable in their respective countries.

People might say, they arent 'true' fans but they are, just with a different moral compass and views as a consequence.

I think before we start applying our own views, we need to recognise the context how these are being applied and fresh eyes dont mean clean hands.

Last edited:

Demaw

Guys, can someone fill me in as I'm getting lost with all the information. Did he get sold to Getafe or loaned? Is Marcus still an actual contracted Man United player? Can the club bring him back to play with us etc if they want or have they permanently said no to him?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Guys, can someone fill me in as I'm getting lost with all the information. Did he get sold to Getafe or loaned? Is Marcus still an actual contracted Man United player? Can the club bring him back to play with us etc if they want or have they permanently said no to him?
Loaned, club can bring him back.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How… how can you not find that information?

Pickle85

I think judgements based on moral compasses are always difficult cause as individuals and as a club, we all arent consistent in how we apply them whether as a fan or personally.

We have players who have committed crimes still playing at our club, yet they have been forgiven. We have owners who have committed crimes against our club, yet we still buy shirts and turn up every home game. We have black players that are racial abused on line by utd fans and players who have had family members abused in the ground. We have had angry fans protest outside of peoples houses that have children or love one inside. We have had dealth treats to players from utd fans.
Same fans that talk about human rights but want owners where thats questionable in their respective countries.

People might say, they arent 'true' fans but they are, just with a different moral compass and views as a consequence.

I think before we start applying our own views, we need to recognise the context how these are being applied and fresh eyes dont mean clean hands.
I am likely being forgetful and dense but who?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

To make it clear then your post is that it’s hard to find greenwood guilty because Cantona kicked a racist; we have racist fans and that we’ve protested against the glazers?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Actually, reading up again the poster said 'We have players who have committed crimes still playing at our club'.
Yeah, don't mind my comment, should have stayed out. Only one i can think of is Maguire and the greece episode, but i think he appealed so im not sure if that even counts.

Pickle85

Yeah, don't mind my comment, should have stayed out. Only one i can think of is Maguire and the greece episode, but i think he appealed so im not sure if that even counts.
Fair play mate, in not even sure where it landed with Maguire either tbh