g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Pickle85

There are all sorts of opinions in this thread but I don't think I've seen anyone suggest they would have a problem with United selling him and reinvesting the cash (speak up if I'm wrong!).

I'm of the opinion that it's even still possible for him to return to Old Trafford, but it would need some kind of interview with him and his partner otherwise it would likely be the same reaction as before so it's up to them to decide how much they want to return to England.
Without wishing to get sucked into the circular arguments that I often do, what would the interview have to reveal for you to accept him coming back? If he admitted assaulting her but apologised and talked about how he'd reformed, would that be acceptable to you?

Adamsk7

There are all sorts of opinions in this thread but I don't think I've seen anyone suggest they would have a problem with United selling him and reinvesting the cash (speak up if I'm wrong!).

I'm of the opinion that it's even still possible for him to return to Old Trafford, but it would need some kind of interview with him and his partner otherwise it would likely be the same reaction as before so it's up to them to decide how much they want to return to England.
Well yes none of us but we are heavily biased towards Utd. The wider footballing and especially non footballing fanbase will think differently.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Without wishing to get sucked into the circular arguments that I often do, what would the interview have to reveal for you to accept him coming back? If he admitted assaulting her but apologised and talked about how he'd reformed, would that be acceptable to you?
It's a redundant point. In a way it applies to everyone. If a hypothetical thing that makes it OK happens then it's OK.

For context, I think @Rood was happy with the club's decision for him to return originally but agreed that because of the backlash it was right for him to go on loan. So maybe the content of the interview not important as the effect?

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
It’s optics isn’t it. The clubs reputation is more important and we can’t really be seen to be profiting from this. I know the argument would be that we’re selling him for cheap compared to his footballing ability but at this point it’s past that, it was the moment this whole thing wasn’t about football.

I’m sure there will be different opinions on this and all are valid, I’m just looking at the likeliest option. Especially now we have a huge company like Ineos in our corner because it’s their optics too, which is even more important to them due to their line of work.
We'd be the first team ever to sell a player and give some of that money to charity, I highly doubt we'll start a weird trend and convince other clubs to also give away their income just because a player did something wrong.

Very strange concept and as people have said, we're in desperate need of money.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's actually more a question for you because I don't personally need any interview.

The reason I say one has to happen is because i don't agree with the view that says people will forget and the club should just push it through. I fully recognise many will not accept him back without further info and the club cannot go through the same negative publicity as last summer - 1 player is not worth disrupting the whole club and squad (Men & Women Teams).

Borussia Teeth

These talks of giving money to charity are ridiculous. When we sell him we should benefit.

If he was actually convicted and maybe did a short stint in jail or had his sentence suspended (I know this probably wouldn't happen regarding rape) and returned to the club during his contract, then yes, we should donate a fee, probably just rip his contract up really.

However, he hasn't been convicted. He is not guilty in the eyes of the law and possibly (doubtful) not guilty at all. We should take every penny.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Well yes none of us but we are heavily biased towards Utd. The wider footballing and especially non footballing fanbase will think differently.
Non footballing fanbase? What's that?

Are you talking about opposition fans? Couldn't give a feck about them!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's a redundant point. In a way it applies to everyone. If a hypothetical thing that makes it OK happens then it's OK.

For context, I think @Rood was happy with the club's decision for him to return originally but agreed that because of the backlash it was right for him to go on loan. So maybe the content of the interview not important as the effect?
Not quite - I actually said it was best for him to go on loan even before the backlash because after 18 months out we had no idea what level he was at either mentally or physically. Going elsewhere to prove he deserved to return to United was the right decision, just stupid that the club was forced into this rather than coming to that conclusion themselves.

Dion

Personally an admission of guilt about what we all know happened during that audio recording, an admission of guilt that he was wrong and abusive to break bail conditions and a statement that immediately after the interview he was going to hand himself into the nearest police station and plead guilty to all relevant charges.

Then when he's served whatever sentence handed to him by a judge, including signing any register required upon release, then he can come back.

Marcus

Personally an admission of guilt about what we all know happened during that audio recording, an admission of guilt that he was wrong and abusive to break bail conditions and a statement that immediately after the interview he was going to hand himself into the nearest police station and plead guilty to all relevant charges.

Then when he's served whatever sentence handed to him by a judge, including signing any register required upon release, then he can come back.
That is pure fantasy. Assuming he is guilty. He has a partner and kid. Why would he admit guilt? And serve time away from them? His United contract would also expire and he would probably incriminate his partner for perjuring herself. His travel to certain countries would also be restricted. Let's just maximise what we can get from the sell on fee.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Greenwood isn’t worth all the effort and implications the club have to deal with not to mention the moral quagmire it will find itself in.

Greenwood is no Messi.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Stop with the charity donation suff. It is irrelevant and distracting - the definition of adds nothing to the conversation.

Son

We will undoubtedly need forward competition and rotation to deal with the fixture congestion and quality required for a good next season. Mason fits the profile exactly of strong competition for CF and RF and even LF.
Assume we actually get a 50 Mil fee for him. I think it would require 80 million minimum to buy a suitable replacement. I'm not a great scout so couldn't name names. But not only would it be expensive but also very difficult to find a player willing to come to UTD that fits the quality and profile.

We obviously have other holes in the squad that need filling. Just adds to the headache unfortunately.
We would need about 80m so let’s say 30m / 40m on top of a greenwood sale. INEOS I imagine would cover that figure alone to keep away from the potential awful PR against our club having greenwood in the team.

Cloud7

I don’t really talk about this much but for me the situation is clear.

Mason at the very least made a big mistake and I don’t think any of us will ever know the real truth or nuances. The cost of that mistake is that he can never play for Manchester United again. Considering what was at stake, the fact that he can still have a career at the top level is enough of a second chance for me.
For everyone’s health I think it’s time to stop the hate, the bickering and the what ifs and just accept the situation for what it is. There are far more important things in life than the fate of a footballer that ultimately created this situation for himself.

As for the club, the best we can hope for is a quality swap deal plus some cash to donate to charity. If we receive a fee, there will be a lot of external pressure which will just increase exposure on it all again.

Personally I’m just ready to move away from it now. I respect everyone else’s opinion.
Manchester United is in no way or form responsible for Greenwood did. This is entirely of his own doing. The club should not donate any fee to any sort of charity, as it’s a ridiculous suggestion for this case and a ridiculous precedent to set going forward.

Bondi77

I thought the PR team at Utd would have kicked into gear already on this but maybe there is still talk with big Jim regarding the issue.
If the club does not want him back or even if Mason has decided that he no longer wants to play in England and make his life somewhere else then he will be playing his football for one one of the top three clubs in one of the top leagues in Europe within two years in my humble opinion.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Why on Earth would he do that?

If he gives details of his guilt, he is re-arrested and undoubtedly jailed.

If he gives details of why he’s not guilty, she would be arrested and probably jailed.

This “tell all interview” can never happen. We just need to move on.

Pickle85

This would also do it for me. There's nothing else he could say, I don't think, that would tempt me into bringing him back. I don't believe for a second he didn't do it so any excuses would ring hollow.

Pickle85

If he gives details of why he’s not guilty, she would be arrested and probably jailed.

Well it can, but it won't, for the reasons you lay out above (he's a gutless coward unwilling to take responsibility for his actions).

Pickle85

That's actually more a question for you because I don't personally need any interview.

The reason I say one has to happen is because i don't agree with the view that says people will forget and the club should just push it through. I fully recognise many will not accept him back without further info and the club cannot go through the same negative publicity as last summer - 1 player is not worth disrupting the whole club and squad (Men & Women Teams).
So you'd take him back now as it stands, without any additional explanations or apologies (if it didn't disrupt the squad)? Fair play for the straightforward answer, it just seems morally bankrupt to me.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not quite - I actually said it was best for him to go on loan even before the backlash because after 18 months out we had no idea what level he was at either mentally or physically. Going elsewhere to prove he deserved to return to United was the right decision, just stupid that the club was forced into this rather than coming to that conclusion themselves.
Ah OK. I knew it wasn't to do with the allegations.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Who in their right mind would implicate themselves and serve time when they don’t need to? Pure fantasy stuff and honestly that doesn’t make you a coward, it makes you pretty sensible.

Pickle85

Explain. Because from what I understand, this would make 99.99999% of the world “gutless cowards”.
I think it's pretty self-explanatory, no? I think he's a gutless coward because he's unwilling to take responsibility for his actions.

Pickle85

Who in their right mind would implicate themselves and serve time when they don’t need to? Pure fantasy stuff and honestly that doesn’t make you a coward, it makes you pretty sensible.
Who in their right minds would attempt to force themselves on a person that they allegedly love and beat them up? Also, in this context I don't think sensible is a word that's in great taste. I think the sensible thing would have been for him not to assault and attempt to rape his partner (allegedly etc) in the first place.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I think it's pretty self-explanatory, no? I think he's a gutless coward because he's unwilling to take responsibility for his actions.
Not really. By giving more information he would either send himself to prison (and end his football career) or incriminate his fiancée and mother of his child.

Anyone that chose to do the above would be mad.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So you'd take him back now as it stands, without any additional explanations or apologies (if it didn't disrupt the squad)? Fair play for the straightforward answer, it just seems morally bankrupt to me.
Not now No - I said several times that in the summer I'm open to his return depending on how he performs on and off the pitch, he's still on probation for me and then I will assess.

Only seems that to you because you believe he's guilty, not everyone shares that opinion so obviously others will have a different outlook.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I thought the PR team at Utd would have kicked into gear already on this but maybe there is still talk with big Jim regarding the issue.
If the club does not want him back or even if Mason has decided that he no longer wants to play in England and make his life somewhere else then he will be playing his football for one one of the top three clubs in one of the top leagues in Europe within two years in my humble opinion.
It won't be top of the list, first need to sort DoF and the recruitment structure. Then they will look at the situation of all loan players including Greenwood.

As you say, we have no idea if he even wants to return at this point.

Telsim

Halfway through the season now. Done decently for Getafe, considering the time he spent off the pitch. I'd have him back for next season. Could play on that right wing and as a striker, and it would save the club some money, which would be used to fill other holes in the squad. If he doesn't want to come back, just sell him to them with a sell-on clause. This would also put some much needed cash in our chest.

Pickle85

Not now No - I said several times that in the summer I'm open to his return depending on how he performs on and off the pitch, he's still on probation for me and then I will assess.

Only seems that to you because you believe he's guilty, not everyone shares that opinion so obviously others will have a different outlook.
I take your point and yes, my opinion on his guilt obviously has an impact, but you seem to be saying that his guilt (or otherwise) has no bearing on whether you'd take him back at the club, unless I'm misunderstanding you? Or simply that we'll never 100% know whether he's guilty one way or the other, so despite what we DO know, you'll err on the side of innocence in how you'd handle the situation from here.

parmenio

Halfway through the season now. Done decently for Getafe, considering the time he spent off the pitch. I'd have him back for next season. Could play on that right wing and as a striker, and it would save the club some money, which would be used to fill other holes in the squad. If he doesn't want to come back, just sell him to them with a sell-on clause. This would also put some much needed cash in our chest.
He will never play for United again.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Can someone help clear something up for me.

How many goals has Greenwood got from open play against the top ten teams in La Liga? What about top fifteen?

Dion

Where do you think I said he would do that?

The question was "what would he have to do?"
That is pure fantasy. Assuming he is guilty. He has a partner and kid. Why would he admit guilt? And serve time away from them? His United contract would also expire and he would probably incriminate his partner for perjuring herself. His travel to certain countries would also be restricted. Let's just maximise what we can get from the sell on fee.
This also applies to you Marcus, what question do you think I was answering here. Because it wasn't "what do you think he will do"?

I'll give you a hint, it was "what would he have to do for you to welcome him back?"