Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Rumours in the news now that 3-4 bigger clubs are interested, we are looking at 50M. :eek:
He’s potentially a brilliant player and still a good age. We wouldn’t have sold him for double that 3 years ago. It’s a good deal for them. I hope we can spark a bidding war because he’s going to be one of those what if players when he gets into a more dominant team

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But to sell him for the reason to spare him from abuse is a stupid argument.
Yes, it would be stupid if it were for that reason alone.

But let's get back to the real world:

United don't actually believe he's done nothing wrong. They don't actually believe he's some sort of victim here. And they certainly don't sit on any evidence that would make such a stance (Greenwood is innocent, there's nothing to see here, just a series of unfortunate circumstances) plausible in the slightest.

Pickle85

He’s potentially a brilliant player and still a good age. We wouldn’t have sold him for double that 3 years ago. It’s a good deal for them. I hope we can spark a bidding war because he’s going to be one of those what if players when he gets into a more dominant team
You mean one of those 'what if he hadn't been a disgusting (alleged) violent domestic abuser?' type players?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yes, it would be stupid if it were for that reason alone.

But let's get back to the real world:

United don't actually believe he's done nothing wrong. They don't actually believe he's some sort of victim here. And they certainly don't sit on any evidence that would make such a stance (Greenwood is innocent, there's nothing to see here, just a series of unfortunate circumstances) plausible in the slightest.
I'll always repeat what I'd heard on the grapevine a while ago.

United had massive concerns about Greenwood going back to around 2020/2021.

On the pitch, he was doing well but there were clear issues off the pitch long before this story came out.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

On the pitch, he was doing well but there were clear issues off the pitch long before this story came out.
That was quite a common concern, especially when that video came out of him in the car with his partner. Then what happened on England duty. There were red flags everywhere and think it was an MEN article who brought to light it started to seep into his professionalism under Ole.

I don't think any one truly imagined it would be as bad to the extent to what came out, but I hope that is a lesson to all when it comes to managing young men in the future and taking note of their behaviour.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Yeah.

There were stories about his behaviour going back to well before he made his debut for the first team.

As I've said before, when the Iceland thing made the news, it wasn't particularly surprising.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That was quite a common concern, especially when that video came out of him in the car with his partner. Then what happened on England duty. There were red flags everywhere and think it was an MEN article who brought to light it started to seep into his professionalism under Ole.

I don't think any one truly imagined it would be as bad to the extent to what came out, but I hope that is a lesson to all when it comes to managing young men in the future and taking note of their behaviour.

I could be misremembering, but didn't it take a while for Southgate to actually call him up, too? He made his debut for us in 2018 and only got his first cap in August 2020.I feel like there was something behind the scenes with "bad vibes" there too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I could be misremembering, but didn't it take a while for Southgate to actually call him up, too? He made his debut for us in 2018 and only got his first cap in August 2020.I feel like there was something behind the scenes with "bad vibes" there too.
So I think within that MEN article, there was a lot of noise that either his dad/agent were pretty demanding with his inclusion in England squads. I.e. if he's not guaranteed game time, he won't bother. I think Southgate didn't fancy adding his character to the squad in general, gave him a chance and the Iceland incident happened. Foden subsequently apologized and Greenwood didn't think he'd done anything that warranted an apology, allegedly.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't remember the exact details, but there was one particular story that did the rounds back in the day (again: well before he became a first team player) about the behaviour of United youth players abroad (training camp).

And it wasn't about drinking or anything like that - it was specifically about behaviour towards women.

Yeah, I know - that sounds very vague.

But the point is that the Iceland thing came as no surprise to people with some insight into his time as an academy player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like he is leaving Getafe for good. Maybe Napoli, Juventus or Dortmund bound.

Anyway, Ineos should make an announcement one way or another soon. Season already ended.
Agreed. The club should announce their intention as soon as possible instead of leaving it til the end again.

Yakuza_devils

Agreed. The club should announce their intention as soon as possible instead of leaving it til the end again.
Hope this is part of end of season review this week on the future of ETH, Greenwood and Sancho. Hope that with Ineos this time round we will have a swift and decisive decision for us to prepare well for next season.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He was renting it anyway wasn't he?
Fair point, I scanned it and assumed he was letting a place he owned out. It's not even clear from the article when he last lived there.

“The house was his home when he hit the big time with the club.

It was also where he was ordered out of bed by detectives when he was arrested, and became his sanctuary when waiting to find out if he was going to be charged.”
They say the bolded like it was a reason to stay.

Bondi77

Fair point, I scanned it and assumed he was letting a place he owned out. It's not even clear from the article when he last lived there.

It's the Sun mate,
They feed on scraps.

Alemar

So in the end of the day, his Getafe loan figures are as follows:
- 33 matches played
- 10G + 6A = 16 goal contributions
- 181 minutes per G/A
- 6 yellow cards, 1 straight red

Nothing spectacular, but on the other hand, only Bruno and Rasmus delivered better stats for United this season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So in the end of the day, his Getafe loan figures are as follows:
- 33 matches played
- 10G + 6A = 16 goal contributions
- 181 minutes per G/A
- 6 yellow cards, 1 straight red

Nothing spectacular, but on the other hand, only Bruno and Rasmus delivered better stats for United this season.
How many penalties and how many v semi pro players?

Ole'sgunnarwin

Can I just remind people that his girlfriend posted an image with blood all over her face saying this is what Mason Greenwood does to me?

I urge people to listen to that audio again. I don't know is that time has made people forget how vicious it was or because he's a valuable commodity at our club, you choose to forget it. Just think of someone like P Diddy, that's the level of man he is.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not sure about semi pro players. He scored 2G in 3 Copa del Rey matches, and 8G+6A in La Liga.

With regards to penalties - 2 out of 3 scored.
So 6 non penalty goals in 33 appearances.
He’s got a non-pen goal every 5 and a half games and an assist slightly worse than every 4 games. I can’t see Utd risking last summer’s furore this summer for that kind of return.

Litch

Can I just remind people that his girlfriend posted an image with blood all over her face saying this is what Mason Greenwood does to me?

I urge people to listen to that audio again. I don't know is that time has made people forget how vicious it was or because he's a valuable commodity at our club, you choose to forget it. Just think of someone like P Diddy, that's the level of man he is.
Its a ongoing debate and depends where your moral compass is set?

Probably the only person that really matters in a restorative way is the victim.

I guess its a job and whether you want someone who has alleged committed a crime (but not convicted) working for you.

There are thousands of fans across the world who have or done worst. Should they no longer be fans?

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's crass, but if they openly say "we're getting rid" then it weakens their hand during any negotiation with another club.

I think he'll go, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything from the club until we have a deal in place with a buyer.

Bert_

Not going to argue the DV and sports link. It's very well documented. And considering United has one of the biggest fanbases in the world, YES you are likely minimizing DV in the world if United does well.

I mean just consider this chat group. Would any of you be talking about Domestic Abuse if Greenwood was gone? Probably not. The fact that he's still here drives a conversation because of what happened. And I'm glad because I think awareness and perspective is what helps improve communities with complex issues like this.

I don't care about empty gestures like let's get rid of this person because they did something horrible. Might sound great in your heads, but running away doesn't solve any problems. Instead we should hold people accountable and make them learn from their mistakes. It's harder and makes everyone uncomfortable but I strongly believe it leads to better outcomes. There is no other way to hold him accountable since the courts acquitted him. So consider what you're proposing. Let him move somewhere else and hide away from what he did.

By no means is having him return mean that you are okay with what he's done. People only think 1 thing can be true at a time and that's just a limitation of how you choose to think and perceive the world. Hold him accountable, raise awareness for domestic violence, and stop sucking at football. Why not do all?
Olympian level mental gymnastics

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
:lol:

“we’d love to move to be close to better schools, but the house has so much of our history. grandad hung himself on that very bannister, the cleaner drowning in the pool. it would be such a wrench to get rid of it.”

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Probably the only person that really matters in a restorative way is the victim.

I guess its a job and whether you want someone who has alleged committed a crime (but not convicted) working for you.

There are thousands of fans across the world who have or done worst. Should they no longer be fans?
Ideally they wouldn’t be fans yes.

Alemar

So 6 non penalty goals in 33 appearances.
He’s got a non-pen goal every 5 and a half games and an assist slightly worse than every 4 games.
190 min per G/A in La Liga, or 222 min per non-penalty G/A. That’s better than Garnacho and Rashford delivered this season (significantly better than Rashford if we deduct his penalties).

Only Bruno and Hojlund performed better (both on absolute and per minute basis) this year, and there is also Amad with 3 G/A in 467 min

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

They’re not representing their clubs.

Bert_

Fans are not employees. There's loads of horrendous cnuts that support us but not much we can do about that aside from banning them from Old Trafford. And they do get banned by the way.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fans dont represent their clubs? You just have.
I think you know what I mean. If i batter my wife it’s “Joe bloggs from x has been arrested for battery” if a footballer does it, “Joe bloggs, Manchester United and England footballer has been arrested”

Not a good look

Ole'sgunnarwin

So I'm saying he's allegedly physically assaulted and sexually assaulted his girlfriend and your argument is but some fans have done worse?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
190 min per G/A in La Liga, or 222 min per non-penalty G/A. That’s better than Garnacho and Rashford delivered this season (significantly better than Rashford if we deduct his penalties).

Only Bruno and Hojlund performed better (both on absolute and per minute basis) this year, and there is also Amad with 3 G/A in 467 min

Rashford and Garnacho, and indeed most of Utd’s forward line, famously went for loads and loads of matches without any goals or assists at the beginning of the season, I’m sure you remember. I’m not sure of the value of comparing greenwood against a non-functioning front line in a team that had their lowest finish for 30 years. Greenwood’s numbers are nowhere near good enough. Rashford numbers are nowhere near good enough either. Compare Greenwood to someone at the level Utd are aiming to be.