Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he actually wants to return I would actually be surprised if SJR didn’t bring him back into the fold. It’s what the club wanted to do initially based on their own investigation and then backed out last second to leave it to INEOS to handle the PR of it all. To me, it’s all lining up for a return. Just curious how they will navigate appeasing the vocal minority, or maybe they just don’t care. I think they need to offer clear reasoning but I don’t expect them to reveal too much details into the personal life of Greenwood and his partner.
Personally I don't think SJR will care either way. He will make the final decision himself after consulting with ETH, the executive.team, and probably a video call with Greenwood himself, and those on the other side of whatever the final decision is will have to live with it.

Widow

Well if people are going to post in his defence that pictures of them looking like a happy family are proof that he’s matured, then I can retort that at one time the Wests looked like a happy family at first glance too
You're free to post whatever you want, within reason obviously. My take wasn't really about your picture hence why I didn't quote it directly, it was regarding how none of us know what happens behind closed doors, good, bad and the ugly.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Bingo! But also

the point being anyone can post a load of happy family pictures. Bit it doesn’t always post a picture of what’s been happening behind closed doors
Well ok at least I understand why you posted it but you have to admit it's pretty weird out of context when you didn't quote anything

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
THIS. Whatever is posted on social media never paints the full picture of what is truly happening behind the scenes. There is not context. It’s all procured. Makes ya think
I absolutely agree and that's been one of my major points since the start of this thread !

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This whole situation has become ludicrous.

Since the charges were dropped: the couple have reconciled, had a baby together, post adorable photos on social media, Mason nominated for La Liga player of the month, the owner and manager seem to want him back. Now even Mason is clamouring to come back even after what their family went through.

The argument against him is become weaker. There's nothing more he could have done in this scenario short of time travel. There is no point being machoistic and continuing to single Manchester United out when other clubs and institutions continue to do whatever they want and support who they want with no repercussions.
People are allowed to have different views. I think it's really unfair to "quality control" this post just because it doesn't fall into the same line of thinking as the person who tagged it.

the_cliff

I have to admit that I haven't watched any Getafe games but note that he is currently nominated for La Liga Young Player of the Month, ready won Getafe POTM and the likes of Griezmann have been talking him up so he must be doing something to impress out in Spain.
I've watched some of his games. He was brilliant against Atletico but was terrible in the last 2 games. He's inconsistent and shines through his ability because of the average players around him. Now you can say that's because of his break from football and that it may take him a while to get into rythm but overall from what I've seen from him he's overrated and will by no means be an automatic starter for us if he comes back (like most people are claiming). Natural finishing ability is only one aspect of football.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've watched some of his games. He was brilliant against Atletico but was terrible in the last 2 games. He's inconsistent and shines through his ability because of the average players around him. Now you can say that's because of his break from football and that it may take him a while to get into rythm but overall from what I've seen from him he's overrated and will by no means be an automatic starter for us if he comes back (like most people are claiming). Natural finishing ability is only one aspect of football.
He's been generally effective in the games I've seen. Started the season very rusty and has regained significant confidence and swagger over the past couple of months, despite the fact that Getafe seem to prefer starting their attacks down the left.

Gandalf

He's been generally effective in the games I've seen. Started the season very rusty and has regained significant confidence and swagger over the past couple of months, despite the fact that Getafe seem to prefer starting their attacks down the left.
He did have a purple patch but despite some goal involvements his last couple of performances have been fairly poor and one thing that stands out is that the overall lack of effort out of possession and disinterest in defending that he was known for at United are still present. The long break obviously did not help but I am not certain that he was ever going to become the player he could be because he just does not have the mental attitude to maximize his natural gifts.

Red00012

Who had since dropped the case for god knows why and is now back with him.

The Biggest victim is the club. We had invested hugely on him in time and development only to lose him for almost nothing. Not to forget the huge bad publicity we got for something we had no fault upon. It's a shame that the club can't sue him. If players gets money because they are actively pushing the United brand then surely they can be sued for damaging that same brand
Devilish wasnt hanging in the devenish

the_cliff

From what I've seen he's been effective in some games. Not all. He's also 10x lazier than Rashford and would get under a lot of fans skin within 2-3 games of him playing. Greenwood is not an Mbappe level talent and tbh is not worth the drama he'll bring to the team anyway. The best thing we could do is just move him on and spend our money properly. Of course he has talent and could end up being a decent player but I don't think he's the Rooney level talent that people are making him out to be.

When you compare him to an Antony it's night and day so I can see why fans are overhyping him and think he's the second coming but I don't think he starts over Garnacho on the right for us anyway. Garnacho is a much better talent.

BoulderDevil

NOT THIS! But that works both ways, right? No one on here knows what happened behind closed doors but it seems okay to assume one way but not the other.

Edit: This is just an observation, my thoughts on the matter are so far my own.
Kind of what I was playing at ;)

macheda14

From what I've seen he's been effective in some games. Not all. He's also 10x lazier than Rashford and would get under a lot of fans skin within 2-3 games of him playing. Greenwood is not an Mbappe level talent and tbh is not worth the drama he'll bring to the team anyway. The best thing we could do is just move him on and spend our money properly. Of course he has talent and could end up being a decent player but I don't think he's the Rooney level talent that people are making him out to be.

When you compare him to an Antony it's night and day so I can see why fans are overhyping him and think he's the second coming but I don't think he starts over Garnacho on the right for us anyway. Garnacho is a much better talent.
I hate the guy. But at the time of him bursting on the scene he was a super super talent in as much as he had skill sets far beyond his years and so much talent - there was a reason the club thought they had a potential superstar in the making. But he wasn’t showing the mentality, he became very selfish very young. If he had a great work rate as well who knows what he could and even can do as a footballer. But I don’t want him to do it here.

the_cliff

I hate the guy. But at the time of him bursting on the scene he was a super super talent in as much as he had skill sets far beyond his years and so much talent - there was a reason the club thought they had a potential superstar in the making. But he wasn’t showing the mentality, he became very selfish very young. If he had a great work rate as well who knows what he could and even can do as a footballer. But I don’t want him to do it here.
I agree with you there and I think people are making the mistake of still thinking he's the 18 year old that came through. Greenwood is 22 years old now although still young people were envisioning him being a 20 league goal a season attacker by now. He'll very likely end up finishing this season with less league goals than his first full season for United in the premier league as an 18-19 year old.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't think anyone is overhyping him at all. We've already seen what he was capable of when he was playing semi-consistently as a teenager. This level of skill doesn't go away just because a player turns 22 and doesn't play for 18 months, and indeed we've seen numerous examples of players who were out of the game for lengthy periods due to bad injuries and came back to be just as good or better as they were before. As for the Garnacho comparison, it sounds like a bit of recency bias. Although Garnacho is amazing, he has contributed about 12 goals so far during the same age range when Greenwood contributed 29. So all things said, I'd say Greenwood is/was a significantly deadlier finisher.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ye that's all fair and I'd need to see more from him before thinking it was worth the effort of bringing him back - but in the context of not having played for 18months, adapting to a new league and playing for a relatively weak team he's doing better than I expected.

His manager says he expects him to have a stronger end to the season as he hits full fitness, we shall see.

croadyman

Some noise coming out today (albeit from the Sun) that Greenwood wants to come back and ETH wants him also.

At this point, I think I'd be surprised if they don't at least try and re-integrate him.

They are very weak sources reporting it so wouldn't feel too concerned by this. There is a guy in our Skittle team who clearly has a serious dislike for Utd,thinks he should have gone down for ten years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Honestly I have no clue why that photo is posted here but then I've missed most of the last few pages, I'm pretty sure it has absolutely no relevance to anything to do with Mason Greenwood though.
I'd have thought it was incredibly obvious. The frequent claims of "they are a happy family" as justification for "forgiving", ignoring or denying what happened are meaningless.

Tarrou

I agree with this. I also agree with @Davicho's comment that at sometime forgiveness or having 'served your time' has to be enough.

I'm sure that there are people working in, say, all the major supermarkets who have be found guilty of bad crimes, but those businesses are not hounded by the press.

They wanted to hang Uber out to dry for employing someone who had been charged with something like sexual harassment and said that Uber should lose their license. Again, I'm sure that there are high street shops that employ people, quite rightly, with similar or worse crimes but those companies aren't a target of hate in the country.
I agree with you, and for a healthy society there has to be a path for forgiveness. I’m not sure how he would expect the fans to forgive him without even commenting on what he did so he can begin that process, but that’s another topic. And I understand he has likely received advice to keep quiet.

Fact is you are exposed to a different set of expectations once you become a Manchester United player, well any pro footballer to an extent but with bigger clubs the brand value is so big the companies simply can’t tolerate certain behaviours without it causing problems by just keeping them on the payroll.

His redemption ark simply lies elsewhere for all kinds of reasons. Some of those reasons might be unfair, but that’s life.. what he did to his partner was a thousand times more unfair than what he has to endure as the consequences of those actions IMO

Aside from all the issues surrounding Mason returning to a United shirt, it’s surely not going to be a nice experience for his partner to be put under that spotlight again, with all the media focus being on him and their relationship, not to mention all the chants in the grounds, tweets from morons etc… it will be relentless

Last edited:
Reactions: moses

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bit random but the official La Liga YouTube channel has done a video on him:

slaggy

Don't want to equivocate on this. He should be brought back in, whatever the reception, especially in current circumstances. Man Utd pays the price either way, whether we don't have another striker of quality or we're pilloried in the media. Rock and hard place, damned if you do damned if you don't and all that. At least we tried, at least we offered a path of redemption. If a twat like Kurt Zouma found his way back into the squad and has his misgivings thoroughly forgotten within half a season, a dumb young man like Greenwood should be offered a platform to grow up in an environment that itself is trying to rehabilitate how they have been doing things. To be honest, the club with all its dysfunctions probably should have taught and protected its young footballers better than they have and have their share of blame to take in all this. Pretending that it's just a Greenwood problem and isolating him is yet another line of mismanagement. Beyond all the bleating about morality - we have a striker problem. He's a good proven striker for us. Sometimes the straightest line makes the most sense. Being pragmatic isn't being out of touch. My sense of it is that the vast majority of fans would like him back because it just plainly makes sense, but the most vocal of fans are the ones being listened to the most.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They are very weak sources reporting it so wouldn't feel too concerned by this. There is a guy in our Skittle team who clearly has a serious dislike for Utd,thinks he should have gone down for ten years.
I think he’s used the Sun as his mouthpiece. Multiple times.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Just scrolled past a Man United fan page on Instagram where they put up an post about Greenwood and added a voting poll - out of 24k votes, 88% voted for "Bring him back" and the other 12% "We dont want him back".

It feels like many supporters truly dont care about what players have done as long as they are not found guilty in court - and the ones that are against him returning are the ones making a lot of noise - so I had a feeling the poll would be 90%+ not wanting him back (probably would be here In a forum with more "real" supporters then Instagram 13-25 years old maybe just voting without even knowing the whole true and is only voting for Mason Greenwood the football player and not for him as a person or the situation).

Another thing, that does not help the "we dont want him back" side is that neither ETH, Glazers, directors or even Sir Ratcliffe are sounding like that they have any bigger problems sitting down and talking to him in June - a lot of Spanish/English newspapers also reporting that Greenwood has informed Man United that he would rather turn down offers from A. Madrid, Inter, Barcelona. Milan and Bayern if United are willing to take him back since he feels he owes the club a lot.

I would much rather pay Milan 50m euros + Greenwood for Rafael Leon (now that they seem to have decided that he is to expensive for them, he want a salary close to what the star players in PL earn and they need to cash in to rebuild - they are in a much higher need of 2-3 players high Seria A standard for 30-35m then one superstar upfront but missing one CB, CDM, CM, ST at least - would be like us going all in for lets say Mbappe and then have tons of positions and no players to cover them and years of FFP problems). Rafael Leons potential is a high as Masons, only 2 years older and we can play Garnacho on his as it seems best position, RW, and Leon on LW. Not that this will happen probably, but this would be a scenario that would at least make both the "yes bring him back" and "no way" camps satisfied. Also selling Greenwood is pure "profit" seeing it from FFP perspective so if we get the 40-60m that is reported, we would only have to add 40-50 from the current transfer budget and we have still need to sell/let go of Sancho, Maguire/Varane (even though we didnt trigger his contact extension, I am sure we just wanted to sit down with him in June offer him probably a decent salary cut but make 2 instead of 1 year and probably sell him 2025 to Saudi, who most likely would pay us good money, 30-40m euro next summer just because he is huge "name" down there), AWB, Lindelöf, Evens (?), Eriksen, VDB, Hannibal, Pellistri, Martial, Bayindir etc (that should gives us at least another 150m euros with Berrada in charge from this summer together with "Ineos" and Dan Ashworth - people who seem to know how seal deals both ways.

So if It was up to me, i would try to make a swap deal (just because I dont believe we will get near what he is worth in cash, a lot of clubs are bleeding money, cant invest because of the FFP or will use the case he went through against us if we decide to go out with a club announcement declaring that we dont want him here at any cost - which would be a dumb move and maybe the reason why ETH or Sir Ratcliffe doesn't want to write him of in public).

Barcelona will try to sell Raphinha (valued same as Mason) this summer, Milan have Rafael Leon (if they somehow dont make him agree on contract way below what he can earn in PL) - the other mentioned being interested are A. Madrid (maybe offer them cash+Greenwood for Felix, cant see how Barcelona would be it around the FFP again and buy him when the loan expires) and PSG (but they are after everybody as it seems now that Mbappe is leaving, but O. Dembele without injuries and with a coach who believes in him could be a fantastic asset for us also).

My feeling is that if we add him as a part of a deal in bringing in a more expensive player then him, we could probably get 55-60m euros.
Cash upfront, maybe 40-45m euros.
Or, taking him back and hope for the best I guess - dont know what do say or feel about it, if it becomes reality really. Man United has been my club for 30 years and It wont change, Greenwood or not, but it would not be my proudest day as an United fan.

IRELANDUNITED

The fact he was a young English player playing for Manchester United means he couldn’t possibly be under the spotlight anymore than he is and was. If he was a Brazilian playing for Bournemouth I think the matter would essentially have been forgotten about by now.

Im not saying it’s wrong that he’s been under this scrutiny, nor that I think he should return, but these are the facts. There’s more pressure and responsibility playing for United than any other club in the world.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Pretending that it's just a Greenwood problem and isolating him is yet another line of mismanagement. Beyond all the bleating about morality - we have a striker problem. He's a good proven striker for us. Sometimes the straightest line makes the most sense. Being pragmatic isn't being out of touch. My sense of it is that the vast majority of fans would like him back because it just plainly makes sense, but the most vocal of fans are the ones being listened to the most.
"Pretending that it's just a Greenwood problem" - Well, whatever happened, is just a problem he himself caused - who else it there to blame do you mean?

"Beyond all the bleating about morality - we have a striker problem. He's a good proven striker for us." - Well, when Höjlund is available, he would be the number 1 on the position for hopefully another 10 years - not saying we dont need backup, but Greenwood is way to good cutting in from right side and using his dribbling skills, pace and the fact the he can shoot with both left and right foot makes him a nightmare for the defenders and GK. So even if we take him back, it would be to cover up for us selling 2 out 4 RWs - Sancho, Pellistri, Antony or Amad. So we will still need a striker who can score goals but who is also fine with playing 10-15 games from start and jump in when needed. Maybe someone who is 26-28 years, proven at highest level, not to expensive but can still be our main guy if Höjlund picks up a injury + that we will probably try to promote someone from our youth team as third choice (even If i am not to sure we have a striker anywhere near being ready for the PL in our U21s or U18s next season already).

"My sense of it is that the vast majority of fans would like him back because it just plainly makes sense, but the most vocal of fans are the ones being listened to the most." - Yes, unfortunately it seems like the big crowd, not the most passionate 5% of the supporters are positive to bring him back - I mentioned earlier that i saw an Instagram post, where they added a poll, 88% voted for him to comeback out of many thousands votes. I truly dont believe that most fans care about the past, most people have their own problems and dont care about that happened 2 years ago between then 2 teenagers unfortunately. The average football fan turns in when its match day and just supports the team and would forget about his past as soon as the first 5-10 game passes and people in general starts to accept that he is playing for the club again - and lets say he bursts and takes 2-3 steps in his game and delivers 20G+10A next season and United as a team plays a great football, closing the gap to the top 2-3 and so on - the 88% would soon be 99%.

That is how the world works today - just look at how many less protest against the wars in Ukraine and Palestina there are at the moment, people (children, women) are getting killed by the thousands and we seem to forget in a couple of months (not the Celtic fans, respect to them). Now, most people just scroll pass the horrors in the world - and so would are fan base (99 out of 100), but even faster, forget and forgive Greenwood and move on.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
All this talk about Mason is all Antony fault. If he had come and performed as advertised, nobody would give a shite about MG and his scumbaggy self. Not only has Antony not performed, he's also brought some of the same issues. Can't expressed enough, how disappointed I am with that transfer.
Admittedly had a good chuckle at this :lol: “it’s Antony’s fault”.

Gosh, he really has been that absolutely shite, hasn’t he? :(.
edit: let me not derail the thread. Apologies.

Pickle85

Don't want to equivocate on this. He should be brought back in, whatever the reception, especially in current circumstances. Man Utd pays the price either way, whether we don't have another striker of quality or we're pilloried in the media. Rock and hard place, damned if you do damned if you don't and all that. At least we tried, at least we offered a path of redemption. If a twat like Kurt Zouma found his way back into the squad and has his misgivings thoroughly forgotten within half a season, a dumb young man like Greenwood should be offered a platform to grow up in an environment that itself is trying to rehabilitate how they have been doing things. To be honest, the club with all its dysfunctions probably should have taught and protected its young footballers better than they have and have their share of blame to take in all this. Pretending that it's just a Greenwood problem and isolating him is yet another line of mismanagement. Beyond all the bleating about morality - we have a striker problem. He's a good proven striker for us. Sometimes the straightest line makes the most sense. Being pragmatic isn't being out of touch. My sense of it is that the vast majority of fans would like him back because it just plainly makes sense, but the most vocal of fans are the ones being listened to the most.
Bleating about morality? Yeah, stupid us as a fan base for wanting players that represent the club to be above violently assaulting their partners and attempting to rape them.

CM

All this talk about Mason is all Antony fault. If he had come and performed as advertised, nobody would give a shite about MG and his scumbaggy self. Not only has Antony not performed, he's also brought some of the same issues. Can't expressed enough, how disappointed I am with that transfer.
Not the other way around? Antony was signed as a direct consequence of Greenwood's actions in the first place.

As far as Greenwood is concerned, I'd be looking to ship him as quickly as possible in the summer. Find a club who wants to sign him and insert a high sell-on fee into his contract to compensate for any money we might miss out on up front. The sooner we end his association with our club, the better. There's no benefit in dragging this out.

GMoore23

He did have a purple patch but despite some goal involvements his last couple of performances have been fairly poor and one thing that stands out is that the overall lack of effort out of possession and disinterest in defending that he was known for at United are still present. The long break obviously did not help but I am not certain that he was ever going to become the player he could be because he just does not have the mental attitude to maximize his natural gifts.
I agree with you. He was really starting to annoy me long before his arrest.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well ok at least I understand why you posted it but you have to admit it's pretty weird out of context when you didn't quote anything

After literally months of people recycling the 'happy family' angle and ignoring all the frequently posted long winded context, I though it was pretty obvious to be honest.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
If only this was just about football, he'd be playing for this club and probably starting in a few hours against Fulham. He, however, did what he did and I think a lot needs to happen for him to come back. Some interviews, charity work and clarity would be a good start. I also think this is an opportunity to address domestic abuse in a constructive way. Shunning a player out to Spain and keeping the how and why stuff away will not 'solve' any problem. I would really like to see more of a debate on how stuff like this happens at all, but is maybe more at the fore in football where young men from often not so great backgrounds get a lot of attention all of a sudden. See if there is a pathway to help young players deal with the stresses of the spotlight without getting aggressive or sexually abusive.

I think if there's more openness about the subject, it might get prevented in future cases. That's what everyone wants, I'd imagine. This openness shouldn't be about excuses for the perpetrator (Greenwood), but about building understanding of these kinds of problems and ways for clubs and people to deal with it at an early stage.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The fact he was a young English player playing for Manchester United means he couldn’t possibly be under the spotlight anymore than he is and was. If he was a Brazilian playing for Bournemouth I think the matter would essentially have been forgotten about by now.

Im not saying it’s wrong that he’s been under this scrutiny, nor that I think he should return, but these are the facts. There’s more pressure and responsibility playing for United than any other club in the world.
Rubbish. He is under the spotlight because his behaviour was recorded and exposed in public.

brontelicious

I also think this is an opportunity to address domestic abuse in a constructive way.

I would really like to see more of a debate on how stuff like this happens at all, but is maybe more at the fore in football where young men from often not so great backgrounds get a lot of attention all of a sudden.

See if there is a pathway to help young players deal with the stresses of the spotlight without getting aggressive or sexually abusive.
With respect, I dispute whether or not you want a 'constructive' debate at all.

It seems you want the discussion tailored to justify Greenwood coming back.

Everybody knows what domestic violence is ditto coercive behaviour and attempted rape.

Greenwood's age, background and stress being used to 'mitigate' his behaviour is insulting to others his age, anyone from a similar background and anyone, of any age or description, who has a stressful job.

Reactions: Wibble

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
People are allowed to have different views. I think it's really unfair to "quality control" this post just because it doesn't fall into the same line of thinking as the person who tagged it.
Thank goodness we have you to mod the mods. Doubly so as you obviously know the full context of the mod actions.

Or perhaps mind your own business and wind your neck in.