Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

FriedClams

Innocent in the eyes of the law and the club deemed him not guilty given more facts than any of us have. Ultimately, it's not our job to be judge and jury of this situation.

Some people in this thread have literally wished for that and for him to be nothing but a disaster in his career. Sad.
I think it’s much sadder that you are hoping people are going to be upset that Greenwood and his partner can be happy, but then again you are the poster who at the start of the Ukraine war kept insinuating that you wanted Russia to just wipe out Ukraine.

DevTheRed

What I don’t get is if the plan all along was to loan him out why make a massive deal out of saying ‘Mason has to rebuild his career away from Old Trafford’.. it’s so open ended and could be taken in so many different ways.

I feel like after the statement we made there is going to be such a massive backlash IF he does come back and play for us.. it could’ve been worded so much better.

I don’t know if it’s possible for him to get any good publicity out there (it’s looking like a good start) but I hope he gets it and makes his reintroduction easier if he does come back.

I do wonder if there is some kind of agreement between United and Getafe about Masons media presence.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
For some reason, I do wish him well there and want him to do well. Despite my mind telling my I must be an awful human to not wish him the worst.

Will follow how he does over there.

NotThatSoph

Innocent in the eyes of the law and the club deemed him not guilty given more facts than any of us have. Ultimately, it's not our job to be judge and jury of this situation.
They never claimed this, and you know that.

flameinthesun

There are players who are out for a year with injury and come back to the level they were before. If he's kept up his fitness to a decent level then the talent that he has will shine through. You don't lose his finishing ability on either foot.

Mainoldo

There are players who are out for a year with injury and come back to the level they were before. If he's kept up his fitness to a decent level then the talent that he has will shine through. You don't lose his finishing ability on either foot.
Let’s be honest. Finishing wise you just get better with age.

FriedClams

For some reason, I do wish him well there and want him to do well. Despite my mind telling my I must be an awful human to not wish him the worst.

Will follow how he does over there.
nothing wrong with wanting him to do well, when you consider what that encompasses. There needs to be, at some point, some kind of sit down interview conducted by a respected media figure, where he at the very least apologizes and takes ownership. No one should stand in his way if he wants to become a better person, live and learn, and if he can do that and reach the top level as a footballer again, I’ll have huge respect for the mental strength he must have to deal with all of this and come out successfully. But he MUST apologize and find a way to sway some people into backing his redemption arc.

people have made comparisons with American athletes, but it’s just not the same. Most of England as a nation wanted Beckham dead because he got sent off in a World Cup game, the people and media here are just different.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anyone had a look on the Getafe forum/website and seen what there fans are saying? I mean he could be the difference for them in getting relegated or not.

Hackman2210

So are you saying you wanted him back playing for Utd?
Yep - I certainly did. I coach youth rugby and at 19 these kids need as much help as they can get, not to be thrown to the wolves. I hope he runs his contract out and then goes to Real or Barca or City. We've let the lad down IMO.
Everyone agreed that it was not possible for him to play at United this season. But vigilante journalism and activism to push him out and make sure he never plays anywhere again, irked a lot of people here.
Dont think people are expecting him to come back, but it will be good if he does okay somewhere else. Its good for everyone involved in this matter.
I didnt agree that - I wanted him back. I believe it was Rachel Riley who wanted him fecked off to the outer hebrides.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Getafe are going full in on him. Made their point that he is ‘innocent’ and have flooded their social media with positive reactions, training footage etc.

They’ve obviously had a plan how they’d manage him (which surprisingly wasn’t leaked) and they seem to be sticking to it.

Be interesting to hear how fans at away, or even home grounds in Spain take to him.
United were apparently prepared to do the same a few weeks ago.

NotQuiteManc

Wish him do well there, even if only for the sake of the partner and child and the rest of family.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I reckon if Spanish fans take well to him then a bigger Spanish team like Madrid/Barca may come calling next year.
Which is positive for us and we’ll get a decent fee for him. I don’t want him to play for us again, but am happy to take as much money as possible.

United were apparently prepared to do the same a few weeks ago.
Wonder how many fans sitting on the fence would have been swayed if this happened. Fans are very fickle so I would expect a fair number of them to have got behind him.

stevoc

I still find this whole thing very strange still seeing some of the picture and videos of him at Getafe, personally I don't think he should play for United again. But I do have to question the motivations of the likes of Crofton and the Athletic in their reporting on this.

He'll most likely do well at Getafe and then get a move to a much bigger club and no one in the British media will make much of a fuss about it. Even if he moves back to the PL I doubt we would see the same level of negative press. It seems some sections of the media were just determined that he shouldn't play for United again.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I still find this whole thing very strange still seeing some of the picture and videos of him at Getafe, personally I don't think he should play for United again. But I do have to question the motivations of the likes of Crofton and the Athletic in their reporting on this.

He'll most likely do well at Getafe and then get a move to a much bigger club and no one in the British media will make much of a fuss about it. Even if he moves back to the PL I doubt we would see the same level of negative press. It seems some sections of the media were just determined that he shouldn't play for United again.
...why?

Hughes35

If he tears it up there I think the club will bring him back next season.

Him playing first team football again allows peoples minds to become used to the fact he's back and playing as normal.

If he's still good enough, I can't see him not starting for us again..... Or us selling him for a decent fee.

RedRoach

Anyone had a look on the Getafe forum/website and seen what there fans are saying? I mean he could be the difference for them in getting relegated or not.
There is a thread here https://getafeweb.mforos.mobi/18849/13018058-mason-greenwood/

Quite divided opinions some saying it is a spectacular signing that a team like Getafe would never have been able to complete before, others concerned about the impact to the image of the club, some saying it is a risky signing that is probably not worth the hassle etc

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Crofton has been milking this as a vehicle for professional aggrandizement for weeks. In the beginning, his initial piece discussing United's plans to reincorporate the player was pretty good. Since then, its been a lot of "hey look at me, I'm relevant and the only one you should listen to".

As for the player, I expect him to do well. He's been away from the game, but given how young he is, I don't see any reason why after an initial period of getting used to his surroundings, he won't resume knocking in goals - especially given La Liga's reputation on defending.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I think depending on how this loan goes, there will be a media interview with him sometime in middle of the season, and the process to reintegrate him will start again.

InfiniteBoredom

Ultimately we don't know jack shit about their nature of relationship. Men can be abused too (I'm not saying Harriot is a psychopathic girlfriend)

The club specifically said they listened to extended version of the clip and personal investigation related to the case.

They concluded something but it's for sure not rape.

Physical abuse between couples is out there, I've seen it, experienced it. People overreacting because it's Mason.
I’ve also seen how abuse victim behave within my close relations, yours isn’t the authority in the matter, so I’d advise against poo-pooing the opinions of others as ‘overreaction’, when you are here conflating cheating with abuse.

stevoc

Because I personally doubt their motivations are entirely altruistic in the way they've been reporting on this and the leaks from United they published. I suspect it's for their own benefit as they know anything negative to do with United equals mega clicks.

Crofton has been milking this as a vehicle for professional aggrandizement for weeks. In the beginning, his initial piece discussing United's plans to reincorporate the player was pretty good. Since then, its been a lot of "hey look at me, I'm relevant and the only one you should listen to".

As for the player, I expect him to do well. He's been away from the game, but given how young he is, I don't see any reason why after an initial period of getting used to his surroundings, he won't resume knocking in goals - especially given La Liga's reputation on defending.
Yep I agree, I said in anohter thread before it was locked, given the nature of the leaks they published and how it forced United's hand I wouldn't be surprised if United aren't too co-operative and/or welcoming to Crofton/The Athletic in the future. Ok this time the leaks lead to an outcome most of us wanted, but I also feel United might want to put a marker down for the future with other Journalists that are thinking of leaking sensitive club information.

bosskeano

give the kid the opportunity to grow up and learn from his mistake. let him learn how to be a good husband and a good father. If he learns those two things, No one should have a problem with him coming back to United for the start of the 24-25 campaign.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
There is a thread here https://getafeweb.mforos.mobi/18849/13018058-mason-greenwood/

Quite divided opinions some saying it is a spectacular signing that a team like Getafe would never have been able to complete before, others concerned about the impact to the image of the club, some saying it is a risky signing that is probably not worth the hassle etc
Bet the ones saying it’s a risky signing won’t be saying that if he keeps them in the league. The image of the club will be worse if there relegated.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I looked through a Getafe forum after seeing this post. (edit: someone got to it before me)

General take is: people are glad that a player of that quality is there, are skeptical (if not downright opposed) due to the accusations and the media pile-on that will ensue (since Getafe already have a bad image).

Some translations:

It's a complicated signing as far as media goes. Accused of mistreatment, set aside by United, absolved in a trial, but lots of controversy because he's no saint. I have doubts about the suitability of this transfer. Don't know what to think.

Well if they were already complaining about us, with Greenwood's arrival they're going to say we're equivalent to the Camorra. I've seen messages saying that between Greenwood and Damián, Getafe will be a terror. Looking at it as a sporting decision, it seems an amazing signing. If it weren't for his legal problems, a player like this would never come to Getafe. Before the accusations his transfermarkt value was 50m ("crack" level). Let's see if we are lucky, he focuses on playing and doesn't do anything stupid. He saves his career and our season is saved.

From a sporting perspective it's a stratospheric signing, we are not yet aware of the player we've brought. This signing to me is the most important one in la Liga this season, only behind Bellingham's. I can't understand how Torres has brought this player, it's spectactular. Now, if we're already a team people don't like, this is going to bring more naysayers.

We're all euphoric, me first, and we have to remember the player is very young, has not played in 2 years, has serious behavior problems, and is British. Which means it's a total mystery and his adaptation might take a long time, if it ever happens. More a media signing and to improve morale than a guaranteed performer.

To me, this signing is not good because of the media problem. We already have too many controversies to add another one, plus after reading the Athletic article, I like it even less. I wouldn't have brought him.

This signing, with all that it entails, will not have a middle ground. As far as I see it, he'll either do great or be one of the biggest flops in Getafe's history. Let's hope he is focused, wanting to redeem his image, and that it translates to the pitch. If he's not focused, with the famous 'adaptation' of English players outside of the islands, and the kind of life they can have in Madrid, it will be very bad.

This guy probably doesn't even know where Getafe is but I hope he has a good head on his shoulders and takes advantage of the opportunity. I admit I don't know him, but from the comments it sounds like he'd be an amazing signing for any La Liga team, but in our Getafe with our "pleasing" football, I don't think he fits at all. I hope I'm wrong.

This kid is not absolved in any trial, he's been lucky that the charges were dropped. But he admits his behavior (he has no choice because there are really strong audios that leave him exposed). I don't want to pounce on him because I'm no lawyer and I haven't followed the case, but I find the signing embarrassing.

https://getafeweb.mforos.com/18849/13018058-mason-greenwood/

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
give the kid the opportunity to grow up and learn from his mistake. let him learn how to be a good husband and a good father. If he learns those two things, No one should have a problem with him coming back to United for the start of the 24-25 campaign.
Didn't realise that only took a football season to learn at the age of 21, I'm well behind.

RedStarUnited

Which is positive for us and we’ll get a decent fee for him. I don’t want him to play for us again, but am happy to take as much money as possible.

Wonder how many fans sitting on the fence would have been swayed if this happened. Fans are very fickle so I would expect a fair number of them to have got behind him.
Isn't that a contradiction? I assume you don't want him to play for us for moral reasons, but then you are pushing said morality aside to get a lot of money for him?

Smores

He'll need to publicly speak about the situation before that happens. The vague meaningless statements don't cut it. If at the end of the season or before he does an interview to clarify and apologise in meaningful terms then I expect most won't have a problem.

Unless that happens then I don't see how he can throw off the baggage of it all. A large amount of people think he avoided justice and currently have no reason to believe he's changed.

I know some here are probably buying their kid a Getafe Greenwood shirt as if it's a 'justice for Suarez' situation but I certainly wouldn't buy his shirt for my kid until he's admitted mistakes.

bosskeano

Didn't realise that only took a football season to learn at the age of 21, I'm well behind.
sarcasm duly noted....that said, if you are married and have a child, trust me it doesn't take more than a football season to learn that behavior

He'll need to publicly speak about the situation before that happens. The vague meaningless statements don't cut it. If at the end of the season or before he does an interview to clarify and apologise in meaningful terms then I expect most won't have a problem.

Unless that happens then I don't see how he can throw off the baggage of it all. A large amount of people think he avoided justice and currently have no reason to believe he's changed.

I know some here are probably buying their kid a Getafe Greenwood shirt as if it's a 'justice for Suarez' situation but I certainly wouldn't buy his shirt for my kid until he's admitted mistakes.
see i disagree....NO ONE has the right to expect him to speak publicly about it. It's a private matter nad it should stay private between himself, his family and hopefully a family counselor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I think it would be a gamechanger if he and his partner do a controlled interview within the United media ecosystem where he offers some form of apology and she asks the audience to give him another chance at United. If that is done on the back of a successful loan spell that is juxtaposed against our probably woeful striker situation over the coming months, then the sentiment to bring him back would be pretty strong among a majority of the global fan base imo.

meamth

Still with the daddy's d1ck thing? Such a weird couple. And that they are still together after all this is still weirder.
It's not that weird. This is my assumption what happened.

1. Mason cheated on her or fooling around.
2. She became paranoid, controlling.
3. They fight a lot after that.
4. Physically hitting each other.
5. One night when they had a big fight Harriot took all the photos just in case.
6. They got back together again. Maintain the relationship.
7. They fight again and Mason threatened to leave her.
8. She said she will upload evidence saying Mason is abusive and she will destroy his career.
9. The reaction was global, it goes way out of hand.
10. She took off the evidence, but too late.
11. Parents got involved.
12. And then what publicly happened, happened.

It's the most logical explanation.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout

5. One night when they had a big fight Harriot took all the photos just in case.
8. She said she will upload evidence saying Mason is abusive and she will destroy his career.

Is it feck the most logical explanation :lol:

Santos J

In what fecking world :lol: