Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Redstain

Such a weird situation whereby if he has some good performances he would be the most in form attacking player employed by the club (still while loaned). I don't think he'll return but given how open the club's statement was it wouldn't surprise me. If the new owners come before the closure of the season and set a standard then it gives further insight if the sale happens at all.

luke511

Such a weird situation whereby if he has some good performances he would be the most in form attacking player employed by the club (still while loaned). I don't think he'll return but given how open the club's statement was it wouldn't surprise me. If the new owners come before the closure of the season and set a standard then it gives further insight if the sale happens at all.
I think it’s odds on he’ll be playing for us next season. I don’t think anyone will pay the amount the club will want (70 million+), unless he turns into a world class player in the space of a season. He’ll most likely replace Martial in the squad and we’ll have him and Hojlund as our strikers.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If any of the tweets underneath are to be believed, it's about a female member of Senate accusing someone of sexual misconduct and him trying to use the Greenwood example to somehow demonstrate how someone's reputation is unfairly damaged.

If that's the situation, to say the whole comparison is a stretch would be putting it kindly.
Not to mention that he got half his facts wrong but then he is a politician so hes just doing his normal job!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it’s odds on he’ll be playing for us next season. I don’t think anyone will pay the amount the club will want (70 million+), unless he turns into a world class player in the space of a season. He’ll most likely replace Martial in the squad and we’ll have him and Hojlund as our strikers.
Wait until 11 months from now where ETH says Martial was very good when available and that we just need to get him fit again.

Borussia Teeth

I'd be ok with this

padzilla

Hipster
There's no way he can play for us again unless the club wants another explosive scandal, actually it would be par for the course.

MrWilliams

If he hits double digit goals in La Liga he’s coming back.

The “backlash” will die down within a few weeks.

vva

In recent news, it's said that Richard Arnold spoke to staff members that he's not expecting Greenwood would play for Man united again in future.
Unless there's successful take-over and changing the owner and CEO, it's nearly zero chance to predict his return.

Here's my favourite front four for future (in FM of course).
Hojlund
Nusa Nypan Greenwood

padzilla

Hipster
If he plays for us again then we officially will have hit rock-bottom that we're happy to play known domestic abusers as long as they are good at football.

Mr PG

I’m Greenwood’s biggest fan.l for football reasons. I believe he can be world class under ETH. People change and his girl forgave him as well.

Tyrion

He won't play for us again. The club may well try again next year but they'll panic when the backlash starts. Good form at Getafe may help get a higher price for him though.

No quotation marks needed. It was a backlash and many of our own fans would be put off if we played him again.

If he plays for us again then we officially will have hit rock-bottom that we're happy to play known domestic abusers as long as they are good at football.
We already know the scum running the club are happy to do that, they just got enough pushback they panicked. Greenwood isn't on loan because the clubs management has strong principles. He's on loan because even though they don't care about domestic violence, they're also cowards.

TheReligion

Abusive
He won't play for us again. The club may well try again next year but they'll panic when the backlash starts. Good form at Getafe may help get a higher price for him though.

No quotation marks needed. It was a backlash and many of our own fans would be put off if we played him again.

We already know the scum running the club are happy to do that, they just got enough pushback they panicked. Greenwood isn't on loan because the clubs management has strong principles. He's on loan because even though they don't care about domestic violence, they're also cowards.
I think he’ll be back at United next season.

Wouldn’t be so sure he’s going anywhere.

Trophy Room

I’m Greenwood’s biggest fan.l for football reasons. I believe he can be world class under ETH. People change and his girl forgave him as well.
I don’t give a shit if the girl forgave him. If he truly did those things then he should be in jail.

The fact that he isn’t (not even a hint of a trial) tells me that we don’t know the whole story. The whole thing could’ve been faked for Instagram followers for all we know. I’ve learned that things are not always what they seem.

That should’ve been the end of the matter but no, in the modern day court of (social) media he’s guilty for life and cannot play football for United again because Rachel Riley will stop being a fan? It’s ridiculous really. What the feck is the point of a legal system?

I just hope he and his family find some peace. There is a child in the middle of all of this.

Tyrion

I think he’ll be back at United next season.

Wouldn’t be so sure he’s going anywhere.
What's going to change between now and then that will make domestic violence charities, MPs and millions of fans change their minds?

Yorke to Cole

The question is whether he wants to return to the Premier League? We all know it is currently the most competitive in Europe. If wants to return to this division which is also his home, he will have to participate in some form public interview.

Yorke to Cole

What's going to change between now and then that will make domestic violence charities, MPs and millions of fans change their minds?
Who cares about them? They just comment on the issues at hand after putting their finger in the air and seeing which way the wind blows.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

It’s like everyone ignored the bit that this very website of Man Utd supporters unanimously voted for him never to feature for the club again.

do these people who randomly post in this thread think the backlash is purely from the media and Rachel Riley?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What if he had a 45 goal season and it was obvious he is the attacking talent in world football? I’m not saying that that would happen or we should bring him back ever but it would be amusing to see how that would change things.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People who think he'll return to the squad are deluded.

The thing that forced the U-turn on the club's part (i.e. the reactions of people both inside and outside the club) won't have changed next summer. And the negative reaction (which had only just begun when the club balked) will be worsened next time by the fact that the club will be going back on its decision to let him go.

luke511

What happens if no one pays the asking price, which will be a huge sum? I think the club will be prepared to upset a section of fans for a period of time in favour of an asset with a potential worth of £100 million.

Yorke to Cole

I don’t give a shit if the girl forgave him. If he truly did those things then he should be in jail.

The fact that he isn’t (not even a hint of a trial) tells me that we don’t know the whole story. The whole thing could’ve been faked for Instagram followers for all we know. I’ve learned that things are not always what they seem.

That should’ve been the end of the matter but no, in the modern day court of (social) media he’s guilty for life and cannot play football for United again because Rachel Riley will stop being a fan? It’s ridiculous really. What the feck is the point of a legal system?

I just hope he and his family find some peace. There is a child in the middle of all of this.
I agree. But United's weak leadership was exposed. The dithering and indecision was unforgivable.

I think there is more to this issue than meets the eye.

For United, what would be beneficial is a change of ownership and a change of structure in the board after a 100 day review, to see what needs clearing out and whom.

That will show competence and the likes of the Athletic can be repelled ( in their leaks and witch hunt reporting) in the same way City have with their 115 charges.

This would help United, not just with this issue but many others as well. As everyone knows.

TheReligion

Abusive
People who think he'll return to the squad are deluded.

The thing that forced the U-turn on the club's part (i.e. the reactions of people both inside and outside the club) won't have changed next summer. And the negative reaction (which had only just begun when the club balked) will be worsened next time by the fact that the club will be going back on its decision to let him go.
Disagree. I think its 50/50 but there’s still every chance he’s back here next season.

They didn’t terminate his contract and the wording of the statement is very ambiguous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Disagree. I think its 50/50 but there’s still every chance he’s back here next season.

They didn’t terminate his contract and the wording of the statement is very ambiguous.
So what will have changed next summer? The reaction from the media, the outrage from anti-abuse charities, the protests from fans, the statements from MPs, the threats of quitting from members of staff. All of that had barely started this summer and it was enough for the club to balk. It isn't going to have magically vanished in 12 months.

Them not terminating his contract doesn't tell you anything, as that was never going to be the outcome of their U-turn.

TheReligion

Abusive
So what will have changed next summer? The reaction from the media, the outrage from anti-abuse charities, the protests from fans, the statements from MPs, the threats of quitting from members of staff. All of that had barely started this summer and it was enough for the club to balk. It isn't going to have magically vanished in 12 months.

Them not terminating his contract doesn't tell you anything, as that was never going to be the outcome of their U-turn.
What will have changed? The passage of time. There would be no where near the same interest and furore, especially if this season goes well for him on and off the pitch.

Tyrion

Who cares about them? They just comment on the issues at hand after putting their finger in the air and seeing which way the wind blows.
Major news companies care about them and a large company obssessed with Internet trends would care about what the media says.

What if he had a 45 goal season and it was obvious he is the attacking talent in world football? I’m not saying that that would happen or we should bring him back ever but it would be amusing to see how that would change things.
He still wouldn't be likely to come back. I don't really think the management of the club care about on pitch success as much as placating sponsors so even if he was that good, they'd still be very unlikely to do it.

What happens if no one pays the asking price, which will be a huge sum? I think the club will be prepared to upset a section of fans for a period of time in favour of an asset with a potential worth of £100 million.
It won't be a huge sum. They won't get a huge sum and they can't play him without upsetting a lot (not some small section) of fans forever (not a period of time) so will accept a smaller fee. They've done it with everyone else we've sold.

luke511

Major news companies care about them and a large company obssessed with Internet trends would care about what the media says.

He still wouldn't be likely to come back. I don't really think the management of the club care about on pitch success as much as placating sponsors so even if he was that good, they'd still be very unlikely to do it.

It won't be a huge sum. They won't get a huge sum and they can't play him without upsetting a lot (not some small section) of fans forever (not a period of time) so will accept a smaller fee. They've done it with everyone else we've sold.
There's no way he's sold on the cheap. They've spent 15 years developing him and know how much he's worth at his full potential.

TheReligion

Abusive

I think the mistake you’re making is saying this now. A lot can change. As I said above if he has a good season, on and off field, plenty will change and it’s a totally different proposition.

Yorke to Cole

I really do not think what this era of MPs will hold much weight given many of the high profile indiscretions and even laws that have been broken by them since the Pandemic.

There was not much discussion from ministers about this. Also, they have many other global issues to deal with alongside failed domestic policy and a run up to a election.

If he wants to come back and play in this country, he should be allowed to play here.

He is not guilty in legal terms.

Tyrion

What will have changed? The passage of time. There would be no where near the same interest and furore, especially if this season goes well for him on and off the pitch.
People will care just as much about these issues in a year. It's not some minor topical thing. We're not talking about Jimmy Cars taxes here. We have pictures of bruises.

There's no way he's sold on the cheap. They've spent 15 years developing him and know how much he's worth at his full potential.
So what? Sponsors bring in more money and they'll all be asked questions about this. They'll take the hit. They did it with all the players we've sold in recent years. Pogba left on a free.

I really do not think what this era of MPs will hold much weight given many of the high profile indiscretions and even laws that have been broken by them since the Pandemic.

There was not much discussion from ministers about this. Also, they have many other global issues to deal with alongside failed domestic policy and a run up to a election.

If he wants to come back and play in this country, he should be allowed to play here.

He is not guilty in legal terms.
Every MP who talks about it means another news story. That means more online reaction and more questions from journalists and that's what made the club panic last time.

luke511

People will care just as much about these issues in a year. It's not some minor topical thing. We're not talking about Jimmy Cars taxes here. We have pictures of bruises.

So what? Sponsors bring in more money and they'll all be asked questions about this. They'll take the hit. They did it with all the players we've sold in recent years. Pogba left on a free.

Every MP who talks about it means another news story. That means more online reaction and more questions from journalists and that's what made the club panic last time.
The sponsors won't do diddly squat, legally they won't have a leg to stand on, contract is a contract. If he has potential to bring success on the pitch they'll probably be in favour of his return.

gormless

Whats up with those African politicians using Man Utd players in their speeches in the parliament.
I get his point and whats so annoying about the society in the anglo western world today but its what it is and its here to stay.
He calls it busyboy, for some its accountability. I agree more so with him but we been through this through 100s of pages in this thread.
No need to go over it again. We all know the views of the other side.
Greenwood is in Spain, its a different country, culture so yeah works out for him, works out for everyone.
I think they are just passionate about football, as is the entire continent so it’s an easy metaphor to use.

I was in a Sierra Leonian church last November and the vicar/pastor/father (no idea what his title was) used the Ronaldo and United situation in some sort of confused metaphor about wayward sons.

Tyrion

They won’t. Nor will the media.
Seriously? Will United be in the championship by then and not a big news story or do you think we're due for a big social change that makes us all care less about domestic violence? It'd take one of those two things for the issue to matter less.

The sponsors won't do diddly squat, legally they won't have a leg to stand on, contract is a contract. If he has potential to bring success on the pitch they'll probably be in favour of his return.
If they tell United, they're annoyed that their brand is being represented by Greenwood, United will pull a complete 180. United is an advertising company ultimately.

They don't care about success on the pitch. If they did, our sponsorship money would be halved. They care about people watching and this controversy would reduce the people watching.

RedDevil@84

No chance. Our PR department drives most of our decision making.