Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It seems like a harsh straight red but perhaps the referee beforehand told everyone that any dissent would be dealt with in this way. A red can be issued for dissent if the official deems it necessary.

When you show dissent to a match official you always run the risk of being sent off. Perhaps Greenwood hasn't learnt quite how to keep his emotions in check.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Very harsh red.

Telling a ref to feck off should be a straight red but it almost never is.

I once got a straight red because the ref thought I called him a "fecking cnut" (I hadn't).

Wing Attack Plan R

Public backlash is public backlash, as we have learned.
He walked right into that one.

On a different note, if Greenwood ever plans on playing in England again, he and his girlfriend will have to tell their story/come up with a plausible story. A year at Getafe won’t do anything. If they come up with some Zapruder footage to show Greenwood is innocent, or she spins some magical fable about how it was a Halloween prank gone wrong — then maybe he can play in England. They are only delaying the moment of reckoning. If they have some halfway believable explanation, why don’t they spit it out? Unless he plans on staying in Spain the rest of his career.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
3 red cards in one game is ridiculous.
Ye Greenwood was the second red, they were already 10men and 0-2 down at that point

Weirdly they were never down to 8 men because the 3rd guy got red card for saying something to the linesman after getting subbed!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The referee’s version of events were disputed by Getafe head coach Jose Bordalas, who told his post-match press conference that Greenwood told his teammates he had said ‘f*** sake’ and had not insulted anyone.

“The player has told me that he said ‘f*** sake’ and did not insult anyone,” Bordalas said.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The referee’s version of events were disputed by Getafe head coach Jose Bordalas, who told his post-match press conference that Greenwood told his teammates he had said ‘f*** sake’ and had not insulted anyone.

“The player has told me that he said ‘f*** sake’ and did not insult anyone,” Bordalas said.
Goal says - Getafe head coach Jose Bordalas stood by Greenwood after the match, telling reporters: "He's a good kid. He doesn't speak Spanish. He told me that he said 'don't f*ck with me'. He hadn't whistled the fouls that were coming at him from a few metres away. It's frustration, he didn't insult anyone. It's a comment saying 'don't f*ck with me, you're not whistling'.

However, the match report filed by referee Vazquez contradicts Bordalas' and Greenwood's version of events. The match official claims in his notes that the 22-year-old English forward said "f*ck you" while gesticulating with his arm outstretched, before leaving the field of play furious.

sepulturite

Yes you can. You're letting your dislike for the man cloud your judgement.
I'm really curious what your story is with the constant defence of greenwood in this thread, and being surprised that some of us dislike him after what he did, are you surprised at that? Does that mean you do still like the man despite what he's done? Because that says alot more about you than anything if you can sweep something like what he's done under the rug.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I'm really curious what your story is with the constant defence of greenwood in this thread, and being surprised that some of us dislike him after what he did, are you surprised at that? Does that mean you do still like the man despite what he's done? Because that says alot more about you than anything if you can sweep something like what he's done under the rug.
That's some strange logic there, he didn't act surprised at all but @Wibble has shown a repetitive need to go out of his way to turn everything more negative than it needs to be, no objectivity, you can dislike someone and separate the player and give a view on a performance with bias.

Also the poster you quoted never stated to "Like" Greenwood or be "Surprised some dislike him", I personally can't judge what he did as like everybody I don't have the full picture. The tapes that were released were disgusting, nobody can claim different but it doesn't have context, that's not me suggesting he is not guilty it's saying we don't have the full story so I prefer not to comment on that.

The player, I rate and have an interest in, the person, I have no view on the person other than to follow the law which says he isn't being charged, anything else is conjecture. One point in your favor is I don't buy this "The club exonerated him and accepted the explanation" argument as we know full well the Glazers make stupid decision after stupid decision. I will look forward to SJR and his team assessing the situation and be keen to see their outcome as they are being portrayed as more competent.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Goal says - Getafe head coach Jose Bordalas stood by Greenwood after the match, telling reporters: "He's a good kid. He doesn't speak Spanish. He told me that he said 'don't f*ck with me'. He hadn't whistled the fouls that were coming at him from a few metres away. It's frustration, he didn't insult anyone. It's a comment saying 'don't f*ck with me, you're not whistling'.

However, the match report filed by referee Vazquez contradicts Bordalas' and Greenwood's version of events. The match official claims in his notes that the 22-year-old English forward said "f*ck you" while gesticulating with his arm outstretched, before leaving the field of play furious.
I assume Google Translate issues on the Spanish equivalent of 'feck sake' or whatever

For completeness the 3rd red according to the ref was for "La concha de tu madre". Literally 'the shell of your mum' but obviously means something quite different!

We really need these public ref reports in England

Litch

That's some strange logic there, he didn't act surprised at all but @Wibble has shown a repetitive need to go out of his way to turn everything more negative than it needs to be, no objectivity, you can dislike someone and separate the player and give a view on a performance with bias.

Also the poster you quoted never stated to "Like" Greenwood or be "Surprised some dislike him", I personally can't judge what he did as like everybody I don't have the full picture. The tapes that were released were disgusting, nobody can claim different but it doesn't have context, that's not me suggesting he is not guilty it's saying we don't have the full story so I prefer not to comment on that.

The player, I rate and have an interest in, the person, I have no view on the person other than to follow the law which says he isn't being charged, anything else is conjecture. One point in your favor is I don't buy this "The club exonerated him and accepted the explanation" argument as we know full well the Glazers make stupid decision after stupid decision. I will look forward to SJR and his team assessing the situation and be keen to see their outcome as they are being portrayed as more competent.
Might be me but some of moderators on here at times need more moderatorating than anyone else.....

simmee

I don't want Greenwood back but this thread is ridiculous. It's constantly derailed by mods trolling and baiting with one-liners and then banning/giving warnings to people that actually wants to discuss Greenwood's football.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Might be me but some of moderators on here at times need more moderatorating than anyone else.....
I don't want Greenwood back but this thread is ridiculous. It's constantly derailed by mods trolling and baiting with one-liners and then banning/giving warnings to people that actually wants to discuss Greenwood's football.
I can only hope I won't be paid, I'm calling a spade and a spade and I can understand it being a sensitive topic but I think we need to be objective is all, I want him back for his talent and make no secret of it but if SJR decides it's not the way to go, so be it, I'm a United fan first and foremost I just don't like judging people based on social media as hard as that is sometimes as those recordings didn't sit well with me at all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not really a case of trolling or baiting. It just isn't a Greenwood fan club thread, it's one where people can offer any opinion but if the opinion starts to become libellous or untrue and people consistently want to post these things they'll be deleted or warned. On both sides. People are free to discuss in this thread both his football and the off-field situation.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

More negative than it needs to be. :lol:

The guy is a total flog and it should be totally obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of morality and ethics why an organisation should want nothing to do with him.

While a percentage of posters on here continue to act as if he did nothing because his prosecution wasn't progressed it needs to be repeating again and again.

Litch

Not really a case of trolling or baiting. It just isn't a Greenwood fan club thread, it's one where people can offer any opinion but if the opinion starts to become libellous or untrue and people consistently want to post these things they'll be deleted or warned. On both sides. People are free to discuss in this thread both his football and the off-field situation.
I think its more about how mods influence and steer the nature of the discussions. If the measure is 'truth or becoming libellous', then like said, some of the mods need moderatoring more so than posters.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think its more about how mods influence and steer the nature of the discussions. If the measure is 'truth or becoming libellous', then like said, some of the mods need moderatoring more so than posters.
Show me one thing that is even vaguely libellous that I have posted.

If my personal opinion of Greenwood apologists was used as a moderating standard there wouldn't be many left. My opinion is my personal opinion and I don't warn or ban people because they think Greenwood should be given a second chance at United. I do post my personal opinion as my personal opinion and if you don't like what I say report me if you think I break the rules. I won't influence or deal with any such reports.

Last edited:

sepulturite

The guy is a total flog and it should be totally obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of morality and ethics why an organisation should want nothing to do with him.

While a percentage of posters on here continue to act as if he did nothing because his prosecution wasn't progressed it needs to be repeating again and again.
Yep exactly this, I completely agree.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very harsh red.

Telling a ref to feck off should be a straight red but it almost never is.

I once got a straight red because the ref thought I called him a "fecking cnut" (I hadn't).
The John Terry defence.

It's a strange one, because I can't imagine in England if a foreign player said feck you/off directly to a ref in their own language, it would ever be pulled up. I guess that's the issue with English being a lingua franca.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Libellous comments about the alleged victim's father/family are allowed here all the time because it supports some agendas.

The Moderation of this thread is not balanced in the slightest - either allow all speculative theories or none.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

I don't pretend he did nothing, I'm saying we don't have all the facts, that is a fact. Anything beyond half the story and speculating or drawing conclusions is close minded, I'll admit based on the evidence I sit similarly with you but I am able to separate the little evidence we have on the man and the footballer, that's all, it's not personal for me and as stated previously I will accept the decision the club make as they have more information on the topic than I.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Literally happens every game in the PL. Seen our players do it so many times.
Slightly different when used casually/conversationally. Greenwood told the ref to feck off with added repeated hand gestures. Context matters.

And of course you might often get away with it. But if you do tell a ref to feck off then you really can't complain if you end up carded.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Slightly different when used casually/conversationally. Greenwood told the ref to feck off with added repeated hand gestures. Context matters.
Don't know how true it is but the manager said Greenwood was saying "Feck this it's been 3 times and no card" and the hand gesture supports that...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't pretend he did nothing, I'm saying we don't have all the facts, that is a fact. Anything beyond half the story and speculating or drawing conclusions is close minded, I'll admit based on the evidence I sit similarly with you but I am able to separate the little evidence we have on the man and the footballer, that's all, it's not personal for me and as stated previously I will accept the decision the club make as they have more information on the topic than I.
We have plenty of facts. Just because the facts alone aren't enough for a prosecution due to the complainant withdrew cooperation doesn't mean Greenwood isn't an utter flog who shouldn't be within a million miles of the club. He makes Giggs seem angelic in comparison (also a massive flog).

I also don't give a flying feck what the club think. They have cocked most things up recently so why not this as well?

Widow

Well said

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Libellous comments about the alleged victim's father/family are allowed here all the time because it supports some agendas.

The Moderation of this thread is not balanced in the slightest - either allow all speculative theories or none.
They're deleted or given warnings when we pick up on it or they're reported. As always, we rely on members of the forum to use the report function.

Last edited:

Litch

If my personal opinion of Greenwood apologists was used as a moderating standard there wouldn't be many left. My opinion is my personal opinion and I don't warn or ban people because they think Greenwood should be given a second chance at United. I do post my personal opinion as my personal opinion and if you don't like what I say report me if you think I break the rules. I won't influence or deal with any such reports.
I think you go way beyond the boundaries of a mod and are in a position of privilege to inadvertently influence and steer discussions. Just my personal opinion.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Im curious how one can seperate a player from his personality like that, after being accused of such things. Do you still cheer him on in such circumstances if he scores etc? If so, then surely all you’re doing is sticking your head in the sand

golden_blunder

Staff
I think you go way beyond the boundaries of a mod and are in a position of privilege to inadvertently influence and steer discussions. Just my personal opinion.
The board position was to not discuss MG at all until the club sorts it out. The mods argued that there was a need for people to have some kind of platform to air their views. A mod is entitled to air their views as much as anyone. You don’t expect us to sit on the fence for such an issue?

perhaps we should have stuck to the original board position and just shut down any discussion at all on the matter

lastly, if people don’t like it here they are always welcome to go and find somewhere that suits them better

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Im curious how one can seperate a player from his personality like that, after being accused of such things. Do you still cheer him on in such circumstances if he scores etc? If so, then surely all you’re doing is sticking your head in the sand
So I accept we know very little about any player beyond typically what they allow you to see in public, I cheer if my team scores and it's that simple for me. I respect if you feel differently and accept that but context is so important and we don't have that around the facts, if he had been convicted then he wouldn't play football for our club so I wouldn't have to cheer him if he scored but these players have so much so young and feel entitled, I don't doubt they have all done things wrong at various levels and some are better/ worse at hiding it so I don't play that game, I simply want the best for my club, it's that black and white, I have to hope and trust that the proper authorities deal with any issues according to the law, they are better placed to make those decisions with more experience and information.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

For what it's worth, I wouldn't report you nor do I think you can be accused of libel, I simply think it's biased view and you are looking to downplay achievements on the field because of the off field issues, which is completely your right to do so, I just prefer to be measured, of what I know of the person I think it's despicable but the players is uniquely talented.

In response also to your earlier comment on trusting the club, I can only hope that SJR and his team are more experienced/ qualified than the Glazers who clearly on focus on value/ money and they will make a more informed decision.

golden_blunder

Staff
So I accept we know very little about any player beyond typically what they allow you to see in public, I cheer if my team scores and it's that simple for me. I respect if you feel differently and accept that but context is so important and we don't have that around the facts, if he had been convicted then he wouldn't play football for our club so I wouldn't have to cheer him if he scored but these players have so much so young and feel entitled, I don't doubt they have all done things wrong at various levels and some are better/ worse at hiding it so I don't play that game, I simply want the best for my club, it's that black and white, I have to hope and trust that the proper authorities deal with any issues according to the law, they are better placed to make those decisions with more experience and information.
Fair play to you but unfortunately I can’t see things that simple. There is enough doubt in my mind, despite no conviction there are enough things not adding up which suggests to me that he’s not been a very nice person to his girlfriend. (To put it mildly). I can’t support someone like that personally

Litch

The board position was to not discuss MG at all until the club sorts it out. The mods argued that there was a need for people to have some kind of platform to air their views. A mod is entitled to air their views as much as anyone. You don’t expect us to sit on the fence for such an issue?

perhaps we should have stuck to the original board position and just shut down any discussion at all on the matter

lastly, if people don’t like it here they are always welcome to go and find somewhere that suits them better
Yep, maybe you should have, would have had less mods marking their own homework.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

And of course you might often get away with it. But if you do tell a ref to feck off then you really can't complain if you end up carded.
Did he say that? (in what language?)

I just saw the 1-2-3-4 counting gesture (for the fouls on him) and throwing his arms up a bit. Not googled/been on social media to check details

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yep, maybe you should have, would have had less mods marking their own homework.
agreed. can’t believe that hardly any of the mods openly endorse threatening to beat up and rape a partner. it’s like what’s the point of having all that power if you’re not going to even bother abusing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wibble

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Fair play to you but unfortunately I can’t see things that simple. There is enough doubt in my mind, despite no conviction there are enough things not adding up which suggests to me that he’s not been a very nice person to his girlfriend. (To put it mildly). I can’t support someone like that personally
I respect and understand that ,I have a question: If your life depended on it and you had to say yes or no where you vote in terms of whether there are other players in the squad that in their life have made similar horrific choices? I would vote yes and that money covers it up, hence I've come to the conclusion that I don't hold of any these people up in anyway some pillar of goodness and encourage my children not to idolize these people but respect their ability and graft to get their position

golden_blunder

Staff
I respect and understand that ,I have a question: If your life depended on it and you had to say yes or no where you vote in terms of whether there are other players in the squad that in their life have made similar horrific choices? I would vote yes and that money covers it up, hence I've come to the conclusion that I don't hold of any these people up in anyway some pillar of goodness and encourage my children not to idolize these people but respect their ability and graft to get their position
I would still vote against. For any player in similar circumstances. Please don’t hold up Cantona, the Bible or any nonsense that’s been thrown out as similar though.
I think the club has to draw a line as to how players should behave and hold them responsible if they cross those lines. Otherwise these young lads (and any impressionable young ones out there) can think that that they can do what they want and there’s no consequence.