Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Extremely impressive. Is he going to be a striker going forward or more like a 10?
At the peak of his senior career, I can see him being used, or rather most effective as a #10 in a similar mould to Rivaldo from an aesthetic standpoint, as opposed to quality. In the meantime, I expect him to continue in the same vein of playing as a #9

jb8521

Not sure if it's considered technique or anything like that but I've noticed he's got a good ability to create space for himself in the box, I think it's to do with how well he can shift the ball to either foot as he's comfortable with both feet, whenever he pulls it off he'll have a yard or two of space to himself it's really clever play. Really nice skill for a striker to have and helps him create lots of opportunities, hope he continues to develop as he is doing.
Yeah I think it's a bit of a mixture of him being so 2 footed and having a really long stride. The way he makes a yard of space and sets himself for shooting reminds me a lot of VanPersie, similar ability to generate a lot of power with very little back lift as well.

LimerickRed

This kid has scary potential. I think hes in the Arjen Robben mould, could see him on the RW turning defenders inside out. Dont see him as a 10, dribbling is his game not picking up the ball and looking for a defence splitting pass. For me, he is more exciting then Gomes

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Dont see him as a 10, dribbling is his game not picking up the ball and looking for a defence splitting pass. For me, he is more exciting then Gomes
Not every 10 is predicated with the task of making a defence splitting pass. Yes, you have those situated behind the striker tasked with the aforementioned, Ozil being an example. However, a 10 can also be used as a shadow striker, i.e. Jari Litmanen, Muller, Griezmann, Dybala, and Alli. The example I used in my initial post was Rivaldo, and his dribbling ability was a large part of his game.

LimerickRed

Not every 10 is predicated with the task of making a defence splitting pass. Yes, you have those situated behind the striker tasked with the aforementioned, Ozil being an example. However, a 10 can also be used as a shadow striker, i.e. Jari Litmanen, Muller, Griezmann, Dybala, and Alli. The example I used in my initial post was Rivaldo, and his dribbling ability was a large part of his game.
Ya when you use the Greizmann example I can see where you're coming from, could be very dangerous with Lukakus ever improving link up play, a lot of open space to run into

mattunited1978

doommonger
He's a number 9 for me, he's got all the attributes to be as complete a 9 as you'd find. Great finisher off both feet, fast, skilful, good technique, intelligent, holds the ball well, very good in the air and a good build, he's a year or 2 years younger than most the lads he's up against and already looks a match for them physically.

If he stays clear of bad injury and works hard the skys the limit for him imo.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
so finally we found our Mbappé. Wish him steady and injury-free development. With good head on his shoulders he should have a very high chance of making it here

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
After one year of searching!

Settle down though, long long way to go. Wilson looked pretty special at youth level, look at him now.
Actually I was watching youth team much more when Wilson was breaking through than these days but never rated Wilson, yes he had a good goalscoring record and was quick but he was really shit in the air and never looked any close agile to Greenwood who also seems way more skillful than Wilson but yeah it's not based on a big sample. Wilson also never seemed to work hard and had problems with ankles, he would never made it with us. he had a stamina of U16.

Classical Mechanic

Actually I was watching youth team much more when Wilson was breaking through than these days but never rated Wilson, yes he had a good goalscoring record and was quick but he was really shit in the air and never looked any close agile to Greenwood who also seems way more skillful than Wilson but yeah it's not based on a big sample. Wilson also never seemed to work hard and had problems with ankles, he would never made it with us. he had a stamina of U16.
It’s a fair point. Greenwood is now probably England U17s best player too. Wilson was never that important at international level.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I personally don't think he'll be a great winger from what I've seen of him. He could be something special in a central role though...
He is unlikely to ever break into the first team as central attacker. Not with Lukaku and Rashford all still quite young. Plus Gomes seems to have a future in the firs team as a 10. Besides, that is why I spoke of deliberate grooming.....he cant be ready now

NickyT

With his current run of form, I'd love to see him in the 23's just to see how he fares, wouldn't be surprised if he does well at that level

shayanr

I've mentioned it before in another thread but im gonna say it again. This lad is special. If he keeps developing his play as a 9 we'll have a player in the mould of van Persie. The way he moves, very similar style of play in my opinion. He too could start playing as a wide forward in the first team then move centrally later in his career.

Thiagoal

I've mentioned it before in another thread but im gonna say it again. This lad is special. If he keeps developing his play as a 9 we'll have a player in the mould of van Persie. The way he moves, very similar style of play in my opinion. He too could start playing as a wide forward in the first team then move centrally later in his career.
Interesting comparison to RVP as the goal he scored yesterday reminded me of the very same player!

Prodigal7

Born to play False 9. Everything about his game suits the role. I can't see him ever being a target man/traditional number 9 but no one is at the top level anymore bar Kane (and even he tries to work as part of the build up quite often now).

How's his overall game these last few months? I've not seen the U18s play in a while.

shayanr

Interesting comparison to RVP as the goal he scored yesterday reminded me of the very same player!
If you watch all of RVPs' goal for us you'd noticed a very similar goal vs west ham. It was his 50th goal if i remember correctly.

NickyT

Goal against TFC takes him to 17 in 19 for the season at 18/19 level, despite still being a schoolboy... I'm in awe of his talent.

LimerickRed

There should no forwards bought in the next few seasons with Chong and Greenwood coming through.

Not going to happen but would love to see Greenwood on the pre season tour! Any step up he has made he has taken to it like a duck to water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trizy

There should no forwards bought in the next few seasons with Chong and Greenwood coming through.

Not going to happen but would love to see Greenwood on the pre season tour! Any step up he has made he has taken to it like a duck to water.
And Angel Gomes. All 3 players will make it at PL level, lets hope they can be top level ones and not another midtable player (Cleverly, Drinkwater, Shawcross, Welbeck..etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.