Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephrem

If he can grow significanly, he’ll make a brilliant central defender. If he remains relatively short, it’ll be as a fullback he emerges. Either way, he’s a Rolls Royce.
He is the reason why I don't us to sign a right back. Get a LB , use Valencia/TFM as right back options and give some cameo for this kid. He have what it takes !!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ethan Laird really stands out to me, he has an incredible maturity to his play, and has excellent decision making which for someone who is only just 16 is impressive.
Remember seeing him in an under age tournament when he was about 12 and he looked quality then. Hope he keeps developing because he's a real good blend of pace, strength, defensive and offensive ability. Would be nice to have a well balanced full back coming through.

Kostov

I wish in a situation like this one, when Lukaku is badly out of form, the manager would have the balls to just throw a kid like Greenwood into the frame. Feck it, at least underachievers sit out, and at worst we give the kid a chance. We could unearth a gem in the meantime.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wish in a situation like this one, when Lukaku is badly out of form, the manager would have the balls to just throw a kid like Greenwood into the frame. Feck it, at least underachievers sit out, and at worst we give the kid a chance. We could unearth a gem in the meantime.
He's not ready plain and simple, Martial and Rashford, as inconsistent as they're been are still way ahead of Greenwood. Besides, all the people clamouring for Greenwood will be the first to turn on him when he doesn't perform.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's not ready plain and simple, Martial and Rashford, as inconsistent as they're been are still way ahead of Greenwood. Besides, all the people clamouring for Greenwood will be the first to turn on him when he doesn't perform.
This.

High expectations cut both ways.

Kostov

Was Rashford ready when he was thrown in the team under LVG? There are other examples. Mason will be 17 on Monday I know, but you never know in football.

And fans are generally much more tolerating with young player and ones from our own academy. Chances are slim, but we could have given him minutes against Derby, we wouldn't have lost anything really. It wouldn't have been worse than the shit show we witnessed.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We won't know till we throw him in, and now with Mourinho and Pogba going through a slow and painful divorce it might just be the right time.

Some might, but not all, but feel free to name and shame.

Kostov

This.

High expectations cut both ways.
Like with Lingard maybe? He is 26 and his average talent is tolerated just because he is from the academy. When did our own fans turn on a 17-20 year old who are learning the game? Rashford is still considered our golden boy for example.

Kostov

We won't know till we throw him in, and now with Mourinho and Pogba going through a slow and painful divorce it might just be the right time.

Some might, but not all, but feel free to name and shame.
Yeah I want to see an example when our fans were against our own kids.

AltiUn

Was Rashford ready when he was thrown in the team under LVG? There are other examples. Mason will be 17 on Monday I know, but you never know in football.

And fans are generally much more tolerating with young player and ones from our own academy. Chances are slim, but we could have given him minutes against Derby, we wouldn't have lost anything really. It wouldn't have been worse than the shit show we witnessed.
Rashford looked good when he first broke through and has since stalled as a player. There are other examples, agreed, but there are also examples where it amounted to nothing such as Januzaj, Wilson and Macheda all looking very good initially then fizzling out.

I like Greenwood, I think he's the best we have in our academy at the moment (well, a toss up between him and Chong) but I don't think we should be putting him in the first team, he hasn't filled out yet so the strength he employs well in the youth team would be wasted and it's a very important aspect of his game, he's sixteen there's no rush, maybe 5 minutes here or there wouldn't hurt but that isn't what you said initially.

And people are only tolerant if they start well (see Januzaj/Rashford), Lingard and McTominay both have had very audible critics since day one. It took some exceptional form from Lingard last season to temporarily silence them, Rashford also has started to grow a fairly sizeable amount of critics and he's someone who did start well.

Kostov

Rashford looked good when he first broke through and has since stalled as a player. There are other examples, agreed, but there are also examples where it amounted to nothing such as Januzaj, Wilson and Macheda all looking very good initially then fizzling out.

I like Greenwood, I think he's the best we have in our academy at the moment (well, a toss up between him and Chong) but I don't think we should be putting him in the first team, he hasn't filled out yet so the strength he employs well in the youth team would be wasted and it's a very important aspect of his game, he's sixteen there's no rush, maybe 5 minutes here or there wouldn't hurt but that isn't what you said initially.

And people are only tolerant if they start well (see Januzaj/Rashford), Lingard and McTominay both have had very audible critics since day one. It took some exceptional form from Lingard last season to temporarily silence them, Rashford also has started to grow a fairly sizeable amount of critics and he's someone who did start well.
Yes there are also examples of young players breaking in at first team level, and letting the fame go in their heads. That shouldn't stop us from promoting them early, eventually there will be ones that will go all the way.

You are right also. it wasn't what I said initially, and that's a more unrealistic than the said 5-15 minutes here and there. But he could have been very easily involved vs a side like Derby, and even if we lost the feeling would have been better, seeing kids play.

I don't agree about that last part, people have been tolerant with players like Januzaj and Rashford because of their talent demonstrated, people will always hope it might change. With players like Lingard and McTominay it's about obvios lack of talent and taking place of other young players who are more talented. Chong could have got the minutes of Lingard for example, and we might have gotten a proper winger, instead we must put up with averageness. That exceptional form from Lingard seems like a purple patch most of us suspected. He has 10 times more useless games, and people have right to doubt his actual contribution to the team.

Arka_BleedingRed

Hoping to see this kid near and about our 1st team under an attacking manager who can actually teach and improve the players.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Signed a professional contract today.

AltiUn

Signed a professional contract today.

With more and more English youth players moving abroad for opportunities it's good to see we've tied him up.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Stupid decision, we're a sinking ship etc etc Mourinho's a cnut etc etc

99withaflake

I'd like to see him on the bench at the weekend, and thrown on for 15 mins if our forwards are still under-performing.

8 games
11 goals
3 assists

Keep going, lad!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'd like to see him on the bench at the weekend, and thrown on for 15 mins if our forwards are still under-performing.

8 games
11 goals
3 assists

Keep going, lad!
My fear would be either Mason becoming a Possebon or a Macheda having been thrown in so early at barely 17. Either psychologically damaged from the over-physical approach that EPL defenders would offer to a young kid or him slacking off, thinking he has made it -- especially if he bypasses the U23.

The Class of 92 had each other to spur each other forward.

Fergietime@99

My fear would be either Mason becoming a Possebon or a Macheda having been thrown in so early at barely 17. Either psychologically damaged from the over-physical approach that EPL defenders would offer to a young kid or him slacking off, thinking he has made it -- especially if he bypasses the U23.

Who did Rashford have to spur him on or Mbappe or Dembele. If he is good enough he's old enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thiagoal

To be honest I don't go along with that theory! The reason players don't make it is because ultimately they're not good enough! Whether that be physically or mentally!

The likes of Rooney, Owen etc got thrown in at this age and thrived because they were truely quality players! Mason I believe would do the same. Just look at how Jadon is doing at Dortmund

Last edited:

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
To be honest I don't go along with that theory! The reason players don't make it is because ultimately they're not good enough! Whether that be physically or mentally!

The likes of Rooney, Owen etc got thrown in at this age and thrived because they were truely quality players! Mason I believe would do the same.
Tbf, Rooney and Owen weren’t just quality players. They were prolly the two best young English talents in the past 20 years! Freakish, once in a generation types. Geez, no pressure or anything... :rolleyes:

AltiUn

Who did Rashford have to spur him on or Mbappe or Dembele. If he is good enough he's old enough.
People keep using Rashford for an example but his development has stalled and hasn't really progressed for a few seasons now. I'm not sure he'd look any better than the other attackers anyway, every single one of them is struggling at the moment, the system doesn't suit them at all and I doubt it'd suit Greenwood either.

VJ1762

People keep using Rashford for an example but his development has stalled and hasn't really progressed for a few seasons now.
Not to be that guy, but he has played only 2 full seasons as a professional. I think he will be a very good player for us in the future.

That said, I think Mason should wait atleast another year before playing in the first team. The atmosphere around the club right now is toxic and is not conducive to his development.

We don't want the media saying why he is not starting important games if he puts up a good performance on his debut.

99withaflake

Tbf, Rooney and Owen weren’t just quality players. They were prolly the two best young English talents in the past 20 years! Freakish, once in a generation types. Geez, no pressure or anything... :rolleyes:
I'm quite greedy. I only want one of the best English strikers of a generation. If someone turns out to be the 10th best English striker around, they probably shouldn't be at our club :)

Just looking though David Beckham's introduction to the first team and he had to wait a long time between his first substitute appearance and first Premier League start. Two and a half years in fact!

Becks made his debut in September 92 as a substitute in the League Cup, didn't sign as a professional until January 93, made his first full appearance in the League Cup in September 94, started a Champions League game shortly afterwards, then went out on loan to Preston, before making his Premier League debut in April 1995.

Maybe I take back what I said above then :D If Mason isn't getting substitute appearances by the end of this season though, I'd hope he goes out on loan somewhere for the first half of next season so that he can continue to develop. The level he's currently playing at looks a bit below him.

Acole9

Outstanding
The goals he's scoring for the under 18's are too easy for him. I've got to say I don't think he should've gone on the pre season tour, he didn't look ready. Another year and he could well be considered for the first team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The goals he's scoring for the under 18's are too easy for him. I've got to say I don't think he should've gone on the pre season tour, he didn't look ready. Another year and he could well be considered for the first team.
He looked very comfortable in pre-season .

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
superstar in the making, just hope he's put into the first team post mourinho, we need a coach who can work with kids. Mason has a great future if everything goes well, like if the pattern wasn't the opposite lately he

Bwuk

Going off the form from Lukaku this year Greenwood wouldn’t do any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.