g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rashford played 59 games for the u18s with 25 goals & 4 assists. Greenwood has played 27 games with 26 goals & 9 assists
My bad. Those are some ridiculous stats.

jb8521

Have people given up on Gomes already? Haven't been following the u23's closely this season so I don't know if his development has been stagnant.
His initial step up to the u23s last season was a struggle but he's been much better this season & has 4 goals & 2 assists from 8 games for the u18s & u19s this season & has had some really good games so is adapting to the more physical side.

AltiUn

Have people given up on Gomes already? Haven't been following the u23's closely this season so I don't know if his development has been stagnant.
I hope not, he's a great little player.

FromTheBench

Gomes due to his size will take time to develop as he moves up the levels.

Earlier someone was comparing him to xavi, scholes, pirlo etc....but he doesn't have that all round consistent passing range for me. It is likes of Eriksson or especially Iniesta that he will be seeking to emulate in terms of small Am's. He has little to no chance under Jose though.

Btw,Lvg would have probably thrown in Greenwood by now. At least that was something exciting about his tenure even though signings and football was shit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Greenwood is in a great setup right now also, he's got Chong and Bahui running passed him regularly giving him passing options and creating space.

If he tried that in the first team he'd be isolated :nervous:

99withaflake

Yet another goal today. That's 11 games, 14 goals, 4 assists.

With Lukaku playing so poorly, and Sanchez maybe not 100% fit, I'd be tempted to put him on the bench against Everton.

If we need a goal with 10 mins to go, is there any harm in giving him a shot?

MrBest

With Lukaku playing so poorly, and Sanchez maybe not 100% fit, I'd be tempted to put him on the bench against Everton.

How old is he?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

Agreed but I completely lost hope that would happen after he failed to make the bench in the league cup vs Derby. That would've been a perfect game to have him on the bench and maybe give him some minutes.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

There is certainly harm watching Lukaku do nothing. Maybe it should be the other way round. 80 mins for Greenwood, 10 for Lukaku

99withaflake

Agreed but I completely lost hope that would happen after he failed to make the bench in the league cup vs Derby. That would've been a perfect game to have him on the bench and maybe give him some minutes.
I totally agree. Really wish Jose gave some youngsters a chance in that game. Such a wasted opportunity.

reddaz71

Chong and Greenwood actually merit first team squad inclusion, sadly the manager does not have the foresight or bravery to do what a true Utd manager would do and take a chance with youth!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
What we don't want is another situation like Adnan. We have to trust the coaches.

99withaflake

There is certainly harm watching Lukaku do nothing. Maybe it should be the other way round. 80 mins for Greenwood, 10 for Lukaku
Imagine the scenes if that happened. Lukaku needs a game or two out of the starting line up. 100%. Whether it's to rest him, give him a kick up the ass, whatever the reason, he can't keep starting every game.

I've only seen extended highlights of Greenwood but he looks and sounds like the best player to come through the academy in years. Surely he'll be pushing for a place on the 1st team bench soon.

99withaflake

Chong and Greenwood actually merit first team squad inclusion, sadly the manager does not have the foresight or bravery to do what a true Utd manager would do and take a chance with youth!
Chong made the bench this evening? And has been training with the first team.

What we don't want is another situation like Adnan. We have to trust the coaches.
Agreed. I trust the coaches more than my YouTube research :D but I think he's physically ready and obviously unbelievably talented. It's a question of if he's mentally ready and picking the right moment. Hope it's soon.

MrBest

I know it's only YouTube but wow! This guy looks good. Great centre of gravity, bursts of pace, desire to attack, desire to bring others into the game and technically sound. May need to catch a youth game to watch him more. Not sure if I would say he is ready to replace lukaku but would be great to see him bag 500 mins this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His performance against Juventus U19s:

It's easily believable if someone said this is young Van Persie's footage. The way he runs and moves is very similar. Looked very good in that video.

Last edited:

Joseunited

I've watched most of the U18 games this season and this kid is the real deal, scoring in just about every game so far but it would be foolish to throw him into the first team.Let's all just remember that he has just turned 17.It doesn't matter how bad things are going with the first team, this kid needs to stay where he is with the odd game for the U23's, help the U18's win the Youth cup and let him develop as a footballer.

Thiagoal

I think the key to a 17 year old making it in the first team is physicality and mentallity. Physically, Mason is ready, he's got the body of an early 20's player and could mix it up with older players I have no doubt. Mentally, well I guess the coaches would know that... on the outside he looks like a rounded individual.

He definitely deserves some minutes this season, I personally would play him wide right- let's be honest he can't be any worse than what we've seen over he past few seasons.

Bola

We are so short of attacking options on the bench that it is a crime that someone like Greenwood isn't getting a chance.

It was pleasing to see Chong on the bench last night, so maybe there is hope. But then in the same breath we see Darmian being a regular feature of the match day squad - any chance that Jose could give Ethan Laird his place?

AltiUn

I've watched most of the U18 games this season and this kid is the real deal, scoring in just about every game so far but it would be foolish to throw him into the first team.Let's all just remember that he has just turned 17.It doesn't matter how bad things are going with the first team, this kid needs to stay where he is with the odd game for the U23's, help the U18's win the Youth cup and let him develop as a footballer.
He needs promoting to the u23s as soon as really, same with Laird and Traore, u18s isn't a challenge for them anymore they're far too good for that level and leaving them there won't benefit them.

Ephrem

When I look into our under 19's I just cant stop thinking about how many of them would be a first team in the next 3-5 years. I haven't seen this kind of talent at the same time in our academy any time at all.

I really think if someone is willing to put the effort here then we will have class of 2019/2020 here. Looking at Greenwood,Chong,Laird,Gomes,O'Connor and my favorite Garner, can't help thinking that we have some gems coming out of the academy at the right time. I have no idea who will our coach next season but hoping for someone who sees the talent and is ready to build the team using this guys. This guys are the future, keep them in a group and slowly put them in the first team.

Red_toad

Let’s get LvG back then eh :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well as Jose has given debts to a few youngsters, which is being blatantly ignored, maybe he is...
Excellent well done, give a debut. The only player he has really taken a chance on here is McTomminay, and for that you have to question his judgement.
After Tuanzebe played vs Arsenal and was very good he was then nowhere to be seen again.
Giving Gomez a debut in a dead rubber game and then him never being seen again doesn't change anything.

reddaz71

Yeah mate fully aware of things that happened near 30 years ago, the game has evolved a bit since then.
Your missing the point pal, arguably the kids we have atm probably have more hunger and passion than many in the 1st team,a genuine Utd mgr would embrace giving youth its head,especially if they are showing plenty of promise which our current kids are doing!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wonder how many of our posters would have wanted Messi in the first team at 17. ‘Not ready yet’, ‘will be eaten alive at this level’, ‘needs to spend time in the 23s first’, ‘needs a loan’, ‘some posters really think a 17 year old from the academy would do better than x, an international?’.

It’s easy to say now that ‘everyone isn’t Messi’, but at 17, he was just another very talented young player put into the first team squad. I think Mason is showing enough for us to test the waters. Michael Owen was a Liverpool regular around the same age, and wasn’t built like a boxer either. Greenwood is on a professional contract now. No such thing as ‘too young’ anymore.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wonder how many of our posters would have wanted Messi in the first team at 17. ‘Not ready yet’, ‘will be eaten alive at this level’, ‘needs to spend time in the 23s first’, ‘needs a loan’, ‘some posters really think a 17 year old from the academy would do better than x, an international?’.

It’s easy to say now that ‘everyone isn’t Messi’, but at 17, he was just another very talented young player put into the first team squad. I think Mason is showing enough for us to test the waters. Michael Owen was a Liverpool regular around the same age, and wasn’t built like a boxer either. Greenwood is on a professional contract now. No such thing as ‘too young’ anymore.
Whilst I agree with all of the above, do you think it's a very good environment for him to come into at the moment? He'd be starved of service in this team.

Raw

Would have been nice if we didn't shit the bed against Derby. Could have got some minutes in the League Cup to test him out.

Maybe we'll see some of him if we get an easy tie in the FA Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.