Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He could be anything he wants. He has no real weaknesses of a top class modern striker. He can head it, pass it, dribble and importantly in the modern game - he’s a threat from anywhere within 25 yards - be that with a direct shot (off both feet) or by going past one or two and engineering a shot.

Then to top it off, he’s got good physical gifts too, and will be able to protect himself from defenders. Can play 9, 10, 7 or 11. Basically, if you designed a forward on the computer, you wouldn’t get far away from the attributes Mason Greenwood has.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So for someone who doesn't watch the reserves who's the biggest talent Gomes, Chong on Greenwood?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So for someone who doesn't watch the reserves who's the biggest talent Gomes, Chong on Greenwood?
Well Mason is still playing at u18 level while the other two are playing above, and in a much worse team.

That said, pound for pound, Mason has been the most impressive in 2018, followed by Chong. I think in terms of tools, Greenwood looks to have the most ingredients to become a top top player, but Gomes could easily surpass both too if things go right (although my suspicion with him has long been that he’s a bit overhyped).

All 3 could become top tier players, but I think Greenwood is most likely to, he seems to have the least amount of question marks in his game.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like our other youngsters, shouldn't be anywhere near the toxicity of our first team till there is a change.

POF

Signed a professional contract today.

Great news. Hopefully a 10 year contract!

There are some really talented youngsters in the United academy at the moment but Greenwood is the best by a long long way.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Like our other youngsters, shouldn't be anywhere near the toxicity of our first team till there is a change.
One argument may be that Greenwood (or any other youngster) is not ready, but I don’t subscribe to this theory that they must all enter football in perfect conditions/circumstances. Ultimately, they are paid by their clubs and here to serve their clubs. If the club thinks they can help, they should be used. It is their dream to be a pro at the top level, and they must be ready for the call when it comes and seize their opportunity.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Personal preference really, they're all excellent. Mason is the player with the least obvious flaws in his game and I'd say he's destined for first team football, he's really brilliant at everything a striker needs to succeed. His two footedness is a delight as it adds a whole dimension to his game most strikers will never have. His final ball for a kid is ridiculous, whenever he has the ball in the box you just feel like a goal's coming.

Chong can be slightly erratic with his finishing but his determination is top class, he has basically everything you want in a winger and when he's on song he scores some brilliant goals and his crossing is pretty great too. Due to the position he plays, RW, it's hard to not see him getting some opportunities in the second half of the season. He was the best player in the U23s almost immediately after moving up in January, whereas some of the others took a little time to find their feet.

My personal favourite is Gomes though, I think he's got the most obvious flaws, mainly he doesn't impose himself on every game which he could be doing considering his level of talent and he's quite small. That said he's by far the most technically gifted player I've seen us produce in years. As a pure footballer he's one of the best in the country of his age that I've seen; agility, dribbling, passing, vision and composure he has it all. We play some of our best football when Gomes is at the heart of our moves, he just has that footballing brain.

What makes them so good for me is the understanding they all seem to have with any player around them, you can't teach things like that. They all know what runs to make and when to make them, when to be available for a pass, when to hold on to the ball and when to release it. They'll all go on to have fantastic careers IMO.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He could be anything he wants. He has no real weaknesses of a top class modern striker. He can head it, pass it, dribble and importantly in the modern game - he’s a threat from anywhere within 25 yards - be that with a direct shot (off both feet) or by going past one or two and engineering a shot.

Then to top it off, he’s got good physical gifts too, and will be able to protect himself from defenders. Can play 9, 10, 7 or 11. Basically, if you designed a forward on the computer, you wouldn’t get far away from the attributes Mason Greenwood has.
What about pace?

Fosu-Mens

That said, pound for pound, Mason has been the most impressive in 2018, followed by Chong. I think in terms of tools, Greenwood looks to have the most ingredients to become a top top player, but Gomes could easily surpass both too if things go right (although my suspicion with him has long been that he’s a bit overhyped).
If you remember Mats Daehli a few years back? Or Martin Odegaard? They both have similar problems to that that Gomes will have.
Despite both having superb technique, they are small and lack end product on top level. Gomes will struggle with the same, simply based on his physique.

If you are small, then you have to be fast, like Mertens, Insigne or Hazard. Unless he becomes the new Pirlo/Xavi/Scholes.

SteveW

The goals he's scoring for the under 18's are too easy for him. I've got to say I don't think he should've gone on the pre season tour, he didn't look ready. Another year and he could well be considered for the first team.
Not ready for the premier league but i thought he did absolutely fine in preseason. For a 16 year old he seemed very comfortable and confident.

SteveW

If you remember Mats Daehli a few years back? Or Martin Odegaard? They both have similar problems to that that Gomes will have.
Despite both having superb technique, they are small and lack end product on top level. Gomes will struggle with the same, simply based on his physique.

If you are small, then you have to be fast, like Mertens, Insigne or Hazard. Unless he becomes the new Pirlo/Xavi/Scholes.
You'll get abused for saying this but it's very possible that you are correct. To me he seems a terrific footballer but his size and lack of searing pace do mean he needs to make it at CM. This is where he plays his football these days so it looks like the coaches agree. I'm just not quite seeing the special passing ranges of Pirlo/Xavi/Scholes etc. Time will tell.

I know it's very early but Greenwood looks almost a certainty to me. Just so well rounded, big and strong for his age, passing range, speed, dribbling, finishing, touch, confidence etc He seems to actually have it all.

redom

Not ready for the premier league but i thought he did absolutely fine in preseason. For a 16 year old he seemed very comfortable and confident.
From the bits I've seen of him he reminds me a bit of Ravel in terms of how he is in games, in that he knows he's better than 99% of other players at that level but he also knows how to make it count and understands the game so has a swagger and confidence. Obviously his playstyle is very different to Ravels and hopefully his development is too but just his pitch presence reminds me of him a bit.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was Rashford this good for the U18s?
He didn't really play that much for the U18s before he got promoted to the first team. I'm pretty sure he wasn't playing as a striker though.

SteveW

From the bits I've seen of him he reminds me a bit of Ravel in terms of how he is in games, in that he knows he's better than 99% of other players at that level but he also knows how to make it count and understands the game so has a swagger and confidence. Obviously his playstyle is very different to Ravels and hopefully his development is too but just his pitch presence reminds me of him a bit.
Agreed. He's too good for it already.

I tend to be pessimistic about young players. 99% of them get insanely overhyped on here. From memory I can think of only 4 players I was fairly certain of from very early on. Rossi, Welbeck, Ravel and now Greenwood. And right now he looks better than at least 2 of them at the same age.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well Mason is still playing at u18 level while the other two are playing above, and in a much worse team.

All 3 could become top tier players, but I think Greenwood is most likely to, he seems to have the least amount of question marks in his game.
Personal preference really, they're all excellent. Mason is the player with the least obvious flaws in his game and I'd say he's destined for first team football, he's really brilliant at everything a striker needs to succeed. His two footedness is a delight as it adds a whole dimension to his game most strikers will never have. His final ball for a kid is ridiculous, whenever he has the ball in the box you just feel like a goal's coming.

Chong can be slightly erratic with his finishing but his determination is top class, he has basically everything you want in a winger and when he's on song he scores some brilliant goals and his crossing is pretty great too. Due to the position he plays, RW, it's hard to not see him getting some opportunities in the second half of the season. He was the best player in the U23s almost immediately after moving up in January, whereas some of the others took a little time to find their feet.

My personal favourite is Gomes though, I think he's got the most obvious flaws, mainly he doesn't impose himself on every game which he could be doing considering his level of talent and he's quite small. That said he's by far the most technically gifted player I've seen us produce in years. As a pure footballer he's one of the best in the country of his age that I've seen; agility, dribbling, passing, vision and composure he has it all. We play some of our best football when Gomes is at the heart of our moves, he just has that footballing brain.

What makes them so good for me is the understanding they all seem to have with any player around them, you can't teach things like that. They all know what runs to make and when to make them, when to be available for a pass, when to hold on to the ball and when to release it. They'll all go on to have fantastic careers IMO.
Thanks chaps :)

Fosu-Mens

You'll get abused for saying this but it's very possible that you are correct. To me he seems a terrific footballer but his size and lack of searing pace do mean he needs to make it at CM. This is where he plays his football these days so it looks like the coaches agree. I'm just not quite seeing the special passing ranges of Pirlo/Xavi/Scholes etc. Time will tell.

I know it's very early but Greenwood looks almost a certainty to me. Just so well rounded, big and strong for his age, passing range, speed, dribbling, finishing, touch, confidence etc He seems to actually have it all.
I might. As for Greenwood, he does seem to have it all. A much more balanced player compared to Rashford and Martial. Uncertainties as far as i can see is if his head is right and injuries.

lysglimt

Scout
Greenwood for me - I still have small reservations about the other two. Chong has had some bad injuries, and he still makes some strange decisions once in a while - Gomes can be quite anonymous for long periods of games. Greenwood for me has no real weaknesses. And he is probably the most lethal striker I have seen below first-team level since Macheda. But in addition to pure goalscoring, he is quick, has excellent control and a good range of passing. I said Ravel Morrison was the biggest talent I have seen since Giggs, but Greenwood certainly is up there with Ravel...at least.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I might. As for Greenwood, he does seem to have it all. A much more balanced player compared to Rashford and Martial. Uncertainties as far as i can see is if his head is right and injuries.
How's that an uncertainty if he hasn't demonstrated any issues to date. Plus isn't that an 'uncertainty,' with all sportspeople at the end of the day?

I feel people are being a little sceptical due to the problems Ravel Morrison had

Classical Mechanic

I wasn't keen on the RVP comparisons at first because MG is two footed and is a very good dribbler and winger. I think the technique and finesse he has, along with the bow legged gait is reminiscent of RVP, however.

Inigo Montoya

I wasn't keen on the RVP comparisons at first because MG is two footed and is a very good dribbler and winger. I think the technique and finesse he has, along with the bow legged gait is reminiscent of RVP, however.
I think it was more the classy left footed finishes

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's my pick as most likely to make it. I like Chong, Garner, Gomes (who looked interesting in CM Vs Valencia) and a few others like Laird etc, but Greenwood makes the right decisions already, his technique is spot on and he's got that sprinkling of star quality. I don't think it will be long before he's knocking on the door of the first team.

Utdstar01

He's my pick as most likely to make it. I like Chong, Garner, Gomes (who looked interesting in CM Vs Valencia) and a few others like Laird etc, but Greenwood makes the right decisions already, his technique is spot on and he's got that sprinkling of star quality. I don't think it will be long before he's knocking on the door of the first team.
Laird has looked unbelievable of late and has built some real consistency to his game. Its not like he's playing so well because of his physique either, he contributes offensively and his decision making has been top notch. Also only just turned 17!

Fosu-Mens

How's that an uncertainty if he hasn't demonstrated any issues to date. Plus isn't that an 'uncertainty,' with all sportspeople at the end of the day?

I feel people are being a little sceptical due to the problems Ravel Morrison had
Was not suggestion that he has portrayed behaviour similar to how Morrison behaved, but that we can't know how he will perform in front of 75000 people.
That being said, i'm not sceptical of Greenwood. As far as i see it he may become really really good. And he does not have any weaknesses in his game(apart from defensive, but he is an attacker.).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Shame the lad isn't few years older because that's exactly what we need to put healthy pressure of squad rivalry on Big Rom.

After seeing him scoring from multiple positions, looks like United got natural talent there.

Bwuk

Shame the lad isn't few years older because that's exactly what we need to put healthy pressure of squad rivalry on Big Rom.

After seeing him scoring from multiple positions, looks like United got natural talent there.
Could he do any worse than Lukaku? It’s been like playing a man down most of this season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Could he do any worse than Lukaku ? It’s been like playing a man down most of this season.
Recently ? Nope. The fans love him and I can see Old Trafford and especially away fans doing everything to provide the boy with strongest support.

He's basically the only spark of excitement we can get this season so far, of course among Dalot and Shaw trying their hardest to become big time players and break Valencia's & Young's reign. We probably won't see Axel, Mensah, Chong and Gomes just yet so we might at least provide some sort of hope in Greenwood.

Inigo Montoya

Could he do any worse than Lukaku? It’s been like playing a man down most of this season.
In this team with Jose managing? He'd be dropped after a mistake,head back to the youth with his confidence shattered and the rest will read like a bad ending to a promising storyline.

Better he waits for a new coach or hopefully a change in fortunes.

My money's on the former

jb8521

He didn't really play that much for the U18s before he got promoted to the first team. I'm pretty sure he wasn't playing as a striker though.
Rashford played 59 games for the u18s with 25 goals & 4 assists. Greenwood has played 27 games with 26 goals & 9 assists

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love his composure when finishing. Has that real striker ability. Absolutely no doubt about his position. No need to worry about this guy being stuck at the leftwing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The interesting thing with Mason is trying to figure out which is his more favored leg or for me anyway. One of the MUTV pundits said that you can tell a player's more favored leg by the way he takes his pens.

Mason missed with a pen with his right leg. But then later proceeds to score a couple of goals with his left.

:houllier::houllier:

BlueHaze

This is a lad I am extremly excited for. He seems really special and I think he has a great future ahead of him but then again I thought the same about Gomes so you never know what happens in the future as he might not be what we all hope he will be. The step from what he's doing right now to the PL is massive.

Kingeric1966

In this team with Jose managing? He'd be dropped after a mistake,head back to the youth with his confidence shattered and the rest will read like a bad ending to a promising storyline.

Better he waits for a new coach or hopefully a change in fortunes.

My money's on the former
Totally agree do not let Jose ruin him , wait for Jose to get sacked and give a chance then

Maybe if he has a growth spurt and turns out to be 6ft 5 then Jose will play him

Prodigy24

This is a lad I am extremly excited for. He seems really special and I think he has a great future ahead of him but then again I thought the same about Gomes so you never know what happens in the future as he might not be what we all hope he will be. The step from what he's doing right now to the PL is massive.
Have people given up on Gomes already? Haven't been following the u23's closely this season so I don't know if his development has been stagnant.

I agree - Jose needs to leave before we start promoting the youth. He's already on the verge of ruining Rashford.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Just had a watch of the Valencia highlights on the previous page, didn't realise how often he dropped in to receive the ball. Most of the times that he received the ball he already had someone else ahead of him.

That sort of movement causes massive issues for defenders and the fact he makes good decisions when he has the ball in that area will be a massive addition to his arsenal when moving up to senior level. Not going to get into a debate about when that should be, but I'll look forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.