Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

I've never really cared for stepovers, but with Greenwood being so two-footed it almost seems unfair for defenders.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Whilst I agree with all of the above, do you think it's a very good environment for him to come into at the moment? He'd be starved of service in this team.
Tend to agree. If we were just lacking a bit of depth up front, or it was just that Lukaku was out of form I'd be all for giving him a chance. As it is, we're just complete shite.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tend to agree. If we were just lacking a bit of depth up front, or it was just that Lukaku was out of form I'd be all for giving him a chance. As it is, we're just complete shite.
Yeah, not sure it’s particularly fair on him. If Rashford is just as shite as Lukaku today, maybe we’d have nothing to lose!

ash_86

His finishing is so natural. Nothing like taking a major swing at the ball and all. Show's the grace of the player

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, not sure it’s particularly fair on him. If Rashford is just as shite as Lukaku today, maybe we’d have nothing to lose!
I doubt he would think it’s ‘unfair’ if he was given a chance in the first team.

As far as I am concerned, there is no formula that applies to everyone. Greenwood is a Manchester United player on a professional contract. There’s probably about 40-odd players that applies to, and any of them should be able to play for United if felt they can make a difference. If Greenwood simply isn’t at a level to do so yet, then fair enough. But some young players are more special than others, some are stronger than others and they will not all follow the same path to the first team.

Again, not saying he’s necessarily ready/good enough, but I’m just saying that I don’t agree that he shouldn’t play simply because of the number that is his age.

soap

After Rashford's performance today it looks like we really do have nothing to lose :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rashford's movement and energy was good, he just has no confidence in front of goal for some reason. Painful watching some of the dopey things our forwards in the first team do though I have to admit. Half the time it's like they've never played together before.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Impressed with him, he is coming on well.

I think the career path of James Wilson should serve as a bit of a reminder of what lies ahead though. Let he lad continue to develop. If he stays clear of injury I think he has every chance. As long as he keeps his head down...he seems quite grounded mind.

He and Chong really stand out ATM

soap

Impressed with him, he is coming on well.

I think the career path of James Wilson should serve as a bit of a reminder of what lies ahead though. Let he lad continue to develop. If he stays clear of injury I think he has every chance. As long as he keeps his head down...he seems quite grounded mind.

He and Chong really stand out ATM
Once Wilson started playing in the first team, I think most of us could tell quite quickly with that he probably wasn't going to make it. Don't think it was anything to do with attitude, he looked completely out of his depth most of the time. Januzaj would probably be a better example for Greenwood to take heed of - he looked special in his first season and then seemed to lose focus and desire.

I think if/when Greenwood gets his chance, again, we'll know pretty soon thereafter whether or not he could have what it takes. He certainly seems to have more in his locker than Wilson/Macheda/Welbeck did. As previously discussed he is absurdly two footed, as much so as any player I have ever seen and I'm not exaggerating. With some youth team strikers you worry that they're not going to be able to use their pace nearly as effectively against Premier League defenders, but an ability like that isn't going to hampered at all, he's still going to be just as ambidextrous when he makes the step up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Sometimes I wish we could do like in Fifa career mode and just skip past a few years until his potential is reached. I want to see him in our team immediately. Mbappe level talent

In Rainbows

Although he didn't pull it off, the move 34 seconds in was an incredible idea.

What is his flaw as a player? He's yet to show he's an incredible header? I'm struggling to think of anything else.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Although he didn't pull it off, the move 34 seconds in was an incredible idea.

What is his flaw as a player? He's yet to show he's an incredible header? I'm struggling to think of anything else.
Looks an unbelievable talkent. How's his hold up play though? At the higher levels you tend to get lesser space.

In Rainbows

Looks an unbelievable talkent. How's his hold up play though? At the higher levels you tend to get lesser space.
It's really good. He does a good job at multitasking (using strength to hold off defender, control ball, stay calm). Pogba was/is the same way. In contrast, even though Gomes has amazing technique, he panics at times when the ball is in the air falling down. And by panic, I mean that he worries too much about the opposition which leads to missing the ball where as Pogba in those situations often comes up with the ball.

I feel like that's something that can be taught, but sometimes it's natural for the player like with Greenwood and Pogba.

edit: I should specify that the Gomes thing is with the ball in the air. Obviously he's amazing under pressure with the ball on the ground.

Last edited:

dbs235

RE the RVP comparisons, he finishes similar to him but did RVP have that sort of dribbling ability when he was younger too? Because Greenwood looks amazing at that.

In Rainbows

RE the RVP comparisons, he finishes similar to him but did RVP have that sort of dribbling ability when he was younger too? Because Greenwood looks amazing at that.
I think he did. He started off as a winger at Feyenoord didn't he? Difference between he and Greenwood on attributes is that Greenwood is more two footed and I think Greenwood is slightly better at through balls. Maybe will be slightly more athletic too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know how good RVP's dribbling was when he was young but Greenwood reminds me of RVP in his style of play. The way he runs or shifts the ball from right foot to left, it's like he copied how RVP played.

Last edited:

sherrinford

I think he did. He started off as a winger at Feyenoord didn't he? Difference between he and Greenwood on attributes is that Greenwood is more two footed and I think Greenwood is slightly better at through balls. Maybe will be slightly more athletic too.
Those are the differences between Greenwood and Van Persie? Really, that’s it? If he can become a more athletic Van Persie with a stronger right foot and defence-splitting pass he will have done very well.

Classical Mechanic

Those are the differences between Greenwood and Van Persie? Really, that’s it? If he can become a more athletic Van Persie with a stronger right foot and defence-splitting pass he will have done very well.
Technical qualities are one thing. The big question with him, and all gifted prospects, is if they have the dedication and ability to handle the pressure that is required to be an elite level footballer. That is what will make or break him.

Handré1990

I don't know how good RVP's dribbling was when he was young but Greenwood reminds me of RVP in his style of play. The way he runs or shits the ball from right foot to left, it's like he copied how RVP played.
Like the pigeon and Young, only that Mason knows what’s going on? :wenger:

Handré1990

Couldn’t resist mate! :D

This kid though, I enjoyed every touch he had in that video! He seems comfortable in all attacking positions, and seems to be very aware of his surroundings at all times. The video was really good, because it showcases a lot of different aspects, perhaps the only skill missing is heading. Calm with a man on his back, quick feet, lethal shot in no-time, and passing and awareness. Looks incrdible, really.

Stojan Stamenic

He plays as a LWF side for U19, just can't wait for the moment when Butt decides to give him a chance as RWF. Have a feeling he will be much more productive than Chong on that position.

I would really like to see something like Gomes - Chong - Greenwood behind the striker i 4-2-3-1. Chong's runs are looking most effective through the middle and Angel looks class in that Ronaldinho playmaking role from the left side.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why is he number 8? Isn’t he a striker?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He plays as a LWF side for U19, just can't wait for the moment when Butt decides to give him a chance as RWF. Have a feeling he will be much more productive than Chong on that position.

I would really like to see something like Gomes - Chong - Greenwood behind the striker i 4-2-3-1. Chong's runs are looking most effective through the middle and Angel looks class in that Ronaldinho playmaking role from the left side.
What an exciting trio of youngsters.

Wonder how long it'll take for them to feature in the first team?

Mr PG

I hope not, he's a great little player.
Our new ball passing style is the best news for Gomes. I believe he could comfortably get into the first team now as his passing is excellent.

In Rainbows

You didn't understand what I said. You can be more well rounded and yet not be as good of a player due to that player maximizing what he has. What made Robin Van Persie amazing was his goal scoring was it not? Is that not the most important bit of a striker? The other qualities aren't as important in comparison to that. So unless Mason is able to replicate the goal scoring at 1st team level it does not matter having more to his game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Has to be a centre forward for me. He certainly could be good on the right, but in football you just don’t pass up the opportunity to get a top class centre forward.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Has to be a centre forward for me. He certainly could be good on the right, but in football you just don’t pass up the opportunity to get a top class centre forward.
Agree 100%, he's a center forward all day long, as complete a one as you could hope to find in a recently turned 17 yearold. It frustrates me seeing him picked in other positions, he's done all that coming through the ranks, for me he should be playing up top every game, learning his craft in the position he's got every chance of being a star in. Im pretty confident we'd of won that Juve match if he was up top instead of on the left.

TsuWave

RvP was an amazing dribbler

Status
Not open for further replies.