Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

That's exactly the problem I described? We're trying to turn a decent attacking player into an elite level deep lying midfielder to replace Eriksen, which I don't think he is and I don't see him becoming.

At some point next season we'll realise Mount is not the answer as Casemiro's midfield partner and we'll be asking for another midfield signing. At this point we'll start to see him as an alternative Bruno when he doesn't play, which is the role VDB currently occupies (poorly, I might add). Mount will do a much better job at providing cover for Bruno than anyone else, but I don't see him as the answer to replace Eriksen's current role in the team.
I wouldn't look at him as a replacement for Eriksen. There just aren't any ready made DLP out there. There are only a few every generation, we were super lucky we had Scholes all those years.

If anything he's a replacement for Fred, except he's better technically and tactically. The fact Mount can play LW and AM to a good level also shouldn't be overlooked.

Mount wouldn't be our best player, by any stretch of the imagination, but he does plenty of things that allow our other players to do what they're good at. It's one of those signings that might not necessarily raise the ceiling that much on the team's level, but it certainly raises the floor a fair bit.

Chief123

Getting excited about Mount is like a Chelsea fan getting excited about the prospect of signing Lingard.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That last tweet in that thread is a bit of a red flag, because I don't think I've seen in an England side his pairing with Kane being particularly exciting...

Crimson King

I don’t know, it’s not my job to scout football players all year round but teams like Brighton, Brentford and Villa manage it quite easy enough.
So basically you don't know, you just assume they exist out there somewhere?

Even if they did, coming in to Brighton, Brentford or Villa is a much different prospect and pressure level than signing for Man Utd. For all the plaudits those teams get, if one of their players makes a mistake or has a bad game it's not plastered all over every aspect of sports media for the next week. You also never hear about the guys that do fail and get shipped off back to Belgium come the season's end. Where as we'll never fecking hear the end of Bebe or Djemba-Djemba!

Those teams also specifically sign systems players, which is why they manage to slot in so well. We don't have that system yet, but the manager is trying to get there. Who thought Martinez would work out as well as he did?

Have a bit of faith.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For the last 10 years, every end of season/pre-season there are numerous posts like this suggesting we should play a diamond system. Never happens. Probably ever will for the foreseeable future.
Yeah it’s not a formation I’ve ever been crazy over but I’m just trying to see how Mount would fit.

The other way I feel like we may see Mount is if we copy City’s tactics and have a false CB/CDM like Stones plays for them - but instead of having a CB we have Rice who plays as a CB only when needed and brings the ball out as a Libero to CDM. He has the best progressive carries in the league as a CDM.

Then as we know Kane is never going to press and likes to drop deep to play in the forward line anyway. So he swaps positions with Mount who does the pressing as well as can get played in by Kane.

Costa
AWB- Rice -Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro - Bruno
Mount
Antony- Kane-Rashford

To

Costa
AWB - Martinez - Shaw
Rice
Casemiro - Bruno
Kane
Antony - Mount - Rashford​

This will be deadly if the unnamed returns - because all three of Mount, Rashford & the unnamed can be played in by Kane - whilst having the protection of both Casemiro & Rice. Kane is deadly at scoring poachers goals from corners etc so we will have a huge goal output in 4 players.

We then have the creative ability of Casemiro, Bruno, Kane & Mount on the pitch - whilst having the scoring ability of our RW, Rashford, Mount & Kane. If we need even more creativity we can make Bruno do Mounts role (and does pressing/ played in by Kane) Eriksen play deeper to add some tempo to our passes whilst always having the defensive ability of Casemiro & Rice.

Id personally love to see that.

Last edited:

Smores

Wonder how many of those suddenly proclaiming the value of Mount have been consistently doing so in the past. I'd bet very few, always the same when we're linked with someone.

He's a half decent player and I'll trust ETH has a specific plan but can't say I see it. Seems unwise in terms of resource and priorities.

luke511

Not anymore it's not, personally I don't think Mount is right for us but that doesn't make him a bad player, as a cog in the right structure he's probably very good, it could be that ETH is looking at him in conjunction with another addition to he team, one thing I do know though, ETH knows a heck of a lot more about managing a football team than any of us do!
It still is a crazy amount of money for a player with a year left on contract coming out of a bad season.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We need a more equipped midfielder. I've been one of the vocal people about us needing 2 midfielders for us to really compete. Mount wouldn't be solving a big issue which we have. The issues of recycling the football and physicality in the middle part of the field is our biggest issues. If we can get our wildest wishes, a 60%, not even 100%, of Scholes and Keane would be the perfect summer recruitment. One 60% of Scholes quality, then another 60% of Keane physicality.

Sadly Mount is non of those. We need midfield style elevation urgently. We need to control games and compete physically to League demands.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This is most definitely up for debate
I doubt it, multiple caps, CL winner, Euro finalist, regular top premiership player. The lad can clearly play football. To say he is a nothing player and ask if what if anything he's good at is a bit silly.

He may not be the most exciting signing in your mind, but he'd be an excellent addition to any team that wants to to dominate possession which is how EtH says he likes to play, this season he's been pragmatic working with what he has, next I imagine he wants to play more in his preferred style and Mount obviously fits that well.

gajender

We need a more equipped midfielder. I've been one of the vocal people about us needing 2 midfielders for us to really compete. Mount wouldn't be solving a big issue which we have. The issues of recycling the football and physicality in the middle part of the field is our biggest issues. If we can get our wildest wishes, a 60%, not even 100%, of Scholes and Keane would be the perfect summer recruitment.

Sadly Mount is non of those. We need midfield style elevation urgently. We need to control games and compete physically to League demands.
I believe we would target another midfielder as well and Mount would most probably compete with Fernandes in the long run .

hobbers

Wow, so many cry babies on here, you have no idea how the manager wants to play or who suits his vision for next season.
Mount is definitely better then McTominay, DVB and Fred, its a squad game ans our squad needs improvement.
In a summer where our budget might be severely restricted, would you be happy spending somewhere between a third and a half of it replacing Fred with a better squad player?

saivet

Wonder how many of those suddenly proclaiming the value of Mount have been consistently doing so in the past. I'd bet very few, always the same when we're linked with someone.
Happens all the time. You'd have thought getting Weghorst in on loan was a great bit of a business if you read some the comments in his transfer thread.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm not against the idea of Mount, but I think he'd be brought in as cover in a few positions.

Right now, we don't really have a backup for Bruno, and he can play there. Right now we don't really have a backup for Eriksen, and he can play there.
I actually think it would be a shrewd signing, but not for the 50-60mil being thrown about.

If we moved on VdB, McTominay and Fred, while bringing in Mount and Caicedo for example, I think we have a good midfield, with good rotational options in all three positions.

Bruno - Mount
Caicedo - Mount - Eriksen
Casemiro - Caicedo

That is a huge improvement on what we have now

OrcaFat

I don’t know, it’s not my job to scout football players all year round but teams like Brighton, Brentford and Villa manage it quite easy enough.
Well that is sort of true but could they get the players who would stand out and make a difference at Utd? Occasionally they might but it’s not really the same for those clubs.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is most definitely up for debate
To you, maybe. To most folk he's the player who won Chelsea's Player of the Season in their CL winning year, and last year when they came third and made it to two cup finals. Hardly a "nothing player" just because you don't see his quality.

DavelinaJolie

Do we think this is a moneyball type signing in that he’s bringing things which might not be apparent?
No. Money all would be finding value where others aren't and as a result paying less for it. It's apparent from the reports that other teams clearly see his value and what he can bring as a player, and he's apparently going to cost a lot of money to get.

This seems more like a case of him being identified to due to attributes that Utd, and other teams, desire.

Licha-Vidic

I believe we would target another midfielder as well and Mount would most probably compete with Fernandes in the long run .
At what cost to compete with Bruno?
I've been advocate of binning Bruno off, so as the team can play with a flat 3 midfielders. But if we are trying to bring Mount as Bruno competition, we will not be solving anything.

Already teams have gone to fullbacks tucking in giving a 3-2 setup when starting attacks. Us we are still in a 4231 setup. We are not even on 433, we don't have competent midfielders yet.

Even yesterday you saw how Fulham was opening us wide open. That should be the first point to address.
We can't afford a Mount now. We need 2 Casemiro quality and effect midfielders, if not possible. 1 midfielder who has genuine quality, improves the Midfield immediately, takes his position immediately, his effect on the team is felt immediately Casemiro style.
We have too many passengers in the team, we need other quality players to help carry the load of the team.

Mount can be perfect for Pep as Gündoğan replacement. He will be going to an already established midfield in City. But for us we have major issues in our midfield to carry another non elite footballer.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'm not against the idea of Mount, but I think he'd be brought in as cover in a few positions.

Right now, we don't really have a backup for Bruno, and he can play there. Right now we don't really have a backup for Eriksen, and he can play there.
I actually think it would be a shrewd signing, but not for the 50-60mil being thrown about.

If we moved on VdB, McTominay and Fred, while bringing in Mount and Caicedo for example, I think we have a good midfield, with good rotational options in all three positions.

Bruno - Mount
Caicedo - Mount - Eriksen
Casemiro - Caicedo

That is a huge improvement on what we have now
Have we even been linked with caicedo? I’ve only seen arsenal and Liverpool linked with him.

crossy1686

career ending
I doubt it, multiple caps, CL winner, Euro finalist, regular top premiership player. The lad can clearly play football. To say he is a nothing player and ask if what if anything he's good at is a bit silly.

He may not be the most exciting signing in your mind, but he'd be an excellent addition to any team that wants to to dominate possession which is how EtH says he likes to play, this season he's been pragmatic working with what he has, next I imagine he wants to play more in his preferred style and Mount obviously fits that well.
And yet no one has yet been able to describe with any authority what he's actually good at. Instead people keep listing his CL win like Ross Turnbull hasn't also got a Champions League medal.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At what cost to compete with Bruno?
I've been advocate of binning Bruno off, so as the team can play with a flat 3 midfielders. But if we are trying to bring Mount as Bruno competition, we will not be solving anything.

Already teams have gone to fullbacks tucking in giving a 3-2 setup when starting attacks. Us we are still in a 4231 setup. We are not even on 433, we don't have competent midfielders yet.

Even yesterday you saw how Fulham was opening us wide open. That should be the first point to address.
We can't afford a Mount now. We need 2 Casemiro quality and effect midfielders, if not possible. 1 midfielder who has genuine quality, improves the Midfield immediately, takes his position immediately, his effect on the team is felt immediately Casemiro style.
We have too many passengers in the team, we need other quality players to help carry the load of the team.

Mount can be perfect for Pep as Gündoğan replacement. He will be going to an already established midfield in City. But for us we have major issues in our midfield to carry another non elite footballer.
4-2-3-1 is just a line up on paper just like Arsenal's on paper or City's whatever variant of 4-1-4-1 they put on paper.

Our FBs tuck in too, to support midfield. More often that not, it's Shaw, Malacia and at times Dalot.

Mainoldo

He's a half decent player and I'll trust ETH has a specific plan but can't say I see it. Seems unwise in terms of resource and priorities.
I back my opinion to have remained solid on him. Before the links.

crossy1686

career ending
Well that is sort of true but could they get the players who would stand out and make a difference at Utd? Occasionally they might but it’s not really the same for those clubs.
I'm sure they could in reality. We used to do it regularly under Fergie, albeit they might need some settling in time of up to a season but that's pretty much what Malacia has had to do this year.

We've said it a million times before but we were in for players like Caicedo before he moved to Brighton, we were sniffing around Eriksen when he was at Tottenham, we let Mane and VVD go to Liverpool, the list is never ending over the last 10 years. These players absolutely exist but we go for the easy available option all the time, and most of the time it's not the right option.

crossy1686

career ending
Have we even been linked with caicedo? I’ve only seen arsenal and Liverpool linked with him.
I've seen us linked but I can't remember where, probably someone on Twitter with questionable authority. It would make perfect sense for our lot to think he's good value at £70m when we missed out at £15m a few seasons ago.

crossy1686

career ending
So basically you don't know, you just assume they exist out there somewhere?

Even if they did, coming in to Brighton, Brentford or Villa is a much different prospect and pressure level than signing for Man Utd. For all the plaudits those teams get, if one of their players makes a mistake or has a bad game it's not plastered all over every aspect of sports media for the next week. You also never hear about the guys that do fail and get shipped off back to Belgium come the season's end. Where as we'll never fecking hear the end of Bebe or Djemba-Djemba!

Those teams also specifically sign systems players, which is why they manage to slot in so well. We don't have that system yet, but the manager is trying to get there. Who thought Martinez would work out as well as he did?

Have a bit of faith.
Of course they exist, where do you think we're getting these players from? Are we growing them under OT? Where are Brighton and Brentford getting them from?

We try buy them once they've already proven they can play in the PL, at which point they cost north of £60m so we can only buy one and then chase 4 players on free transfers. Just because you and I don't know who they are right now doesn't mean they aren't out there.

crossy1686

career ending
To you, maybe. To most folk he's the player who won Chelsea's Player of the Season in their CL winning year, and last year when they came third and made it to two cup finals. Hardly a "nothing player" just because you don't see his quality.
That doesn't say much really does it? I'm pretty sure he only got that because he scored in the final.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It still is a crazy amount of money for a player with a year left on contract coming out of a bad season.
I don't really care about the money, if it's the right player for the team and helps us be successful then the money doesn't really matter

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I've seen us linked but I can't remember where, probably someone on Twitter with questionable authority. It would make perfect sense for our lot to think he's good value at £70m when we missed out at £15m a few seasons ago.
Typical that though. But then again we paid 90m for pogba after letting him go on a free, twice may I add with no money back :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That doesn't say much really does it? I'm pretty sure he only got that because he scored in the final.
For both seasons? Well as long as you're pretty sure about it...

I mean, Havertz is the guy who got the goal in the final but let's not worry about that. I'm sure everything else you've said can be taken as gospel.

luke511

I don't really care about the money, if it's the right player for the team and helps us be successful then the money doesn't really matter
We’ll just have to wait and see until the end of the window. Hopefully we have the cash to buy Kane, one of Rice or Caicedo, a new GK and RB as well.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Mount has overall been pretty good in the PL. It just seems obvious to me that he lacks the very top quality, so not sure we should be looking at him.

crossy1686

career ending
For both seasons? Well as long as you're pretty sure about it...

I mean, Havertz is the guy who got the goal in the final but let's not worry about that. I'm sure everything else you've said can be taken as gospel.
:lol: was it? Could have sworn I've seen him score in a final, but then again, Havertz is equally shit so I could have confused the two of them.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Of course they exist, where do you think we're getting these players from? Are we growing them under OT? Where are Brighton and Brentford getting them from?

We try buy them once they've already proven they can play in the PL, at which point they cost north of £60m so we can only buy one and then chase 4 players on free transfers. Just because you and I don't know who they are right, if it doesn't work out they've lost li now doesn't mean they aren't out there.
The expectations of Brighton/Brentford and their owners/fans aren't the same, these teams can afford the risk, if it doesn't work out they lose little, they may end up1 2th instead of 8th, if United finish 6th instead of 4th there's merry hell to pay

Licha-Vidic

4-2-3-1 is just a line up on paper just like Arsenal's on paper or City's whatever variant of 4-1-4-1 they put on paper.

Our FBs tuck in too, to support midfield. More often that not, it's Shaw, Malacia and at times Dalot.
:D. No worries. Arsenal and City have genuine midfielders to start with. Players who can hold on the ball, pass for days without losing the ball

Let's wait and see how the season unfolds with the same midfield plus Mount. People will be still be surprised when we ship goals for fun away from home and getting hammered every once 2 months.
This things have been happening for a long time, even before this season.

And it's a symptom of how we set-up and the kind of midfielders we have. Maguire and Lindelof are not there to be blamed. McFred are not there to be blamed again but still this season we have been outrun in alot of games.

This wont change until we have 3 competent midfielders in the team

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We’ll just have to wait and see until the end of the window. Hopefully we have the cash to buy Kane, one of Rice or Caicedo, a new GK and RB as well.
We don't need a new RB, AWB is just fine, just 1 season under ETH has transformed him, another season and who knows what he can be, a GK can wait, we need another MF and probably another ST first

Status
Not open for further replies.