Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

It's a catch up with City game.
Unfortunately, this is the lense that our signings have to be judged by at this stage. We want to go from a top 4 team to title winners. We need players who are serious upgrades in our first 11, in our current weakest positions. £50+m on players who don't fit that profile is a very questionable use of our limited funds.

luke511

Eriksens biggest issues though are physically not being mobile enough to move with the ball (mount can do), and not being energetic enough defensively which Fred provides (mount can do similarly), and not having stamina as he's in the latter parts of his career. Mount is all around a very good improvement to us. Yes we could and should take punts on guys like Kokcu all the same. But Mount himself is a very good player. Hell even just looking at what he can offer from an analytics perspective compared to mids in the 20/21 season for example:
  • 90th percentile progressive passing
  • 96th percentile progressive carries
  • Very solid defensive stats (60th percentile for a non DM is very good)
  • 99th percentile key passes
  • 98th percentile expected assists
  • 87th percentile non pen xG
  • Ok turnover numbers in terms of press resistance
  • Very good set piece delivery
Where he isn't elite is pass completion percentage, and traits like slowing the game down, dictating from that perspective. He'd be another that always likes to speed up play. So he's not perfect and it's something where our te would still have struggles, but would still be a huge improvement.

Given age and the quality of player along with his excellent attitude, it'd be a very good signing. ready to step in and start instantly, which a lot of the scouting punts for cheap aren't capable of doing even if they hit long term. We need help now given the age profile of ours midfielders, not someone for 3 years from now.
You make a fair point but data from 20/21 isn't the most reliable, I'd go as far to say it's probably the most unreliable, every game was like a training session.

luke511

Unfortunately, this is the lense that our signings have to be judged by at this stage. We want to go from a top 4 team to title winners. We need players who are serious upgrades in our first 11, in our current weakest positions. £50+m on players who don't fit that profile is a very questionable use of our limited funds.
Exactly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You make a fair point but data from 20/21 isn't the most reliable, I'd go as far to say it's probably the most unreliable, every game was like a training session.
Only use that one because 21/22 he played more advanced. Comparing him with AM's and wingers still gives him good numbers (93rd percentile progressive passes, 66th progressive carries, 74th xG, 79th xAG, strong defensive metrics), just not relevant as it's comparing to attackers and a different role to what Ten Hag would use him as. He's a very good 8/10 player essentially. He's not world class, but he is 24 and this season is entirely irrelevant to judge him. So I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if Ten Hag sees a top player in him, as Tuchel also felt that (and got a very good level out of him).

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
To be fair to the pundits, it's hard to know everything about every player out there or watch every game of football. It's usually worth disregarding their opinions on things that aren't close to the clubs they used to play for. We also don't know what Keane had been told by an ex Chelsea pundit off air, he could just be repeating something he heard in a casual conversation. There were some Chelsea fans on here this season claiming Mount was being an utter bellend behind the scenes, which was the real reason he was dropped and nothing to do with an injury.
If they don't know they should just say so, Keano was pretty definite in his opinion though

Mainoldo

Our midfield has been getting ran through all season even with big Cass. So this answers your question. He helps improve our balance. He won’t be the only signing and Chelsea’s Tuchel team battled with the best.

mu4c_20le

Mount is a CL winner and one of their best players even before they turned to shite. They are only forced to sell him because they need to ease up on their FFP restrictions.

luke511

Mount is a CL winner and one of their best players even before they turned to shite. They are only forced to sell him because they need to ease up on their FFP restrictions.
How about signing him next season for a free, save £55 million and Chelsea are still fecked for FFP. A much more appealing option.

Crimson King

How about signing him next season for a free, save £55 million and Chelsea are still fecked for FFP. A much more appealing option.
He probably wants to leave now, and someone else will sign him. He won't wait another year just to join Utd on a free.

luke511

He probably wants to leave now, and someone else will sign him. He won't wait another year just to join Utd on a free.
Beggars can't be choosers, there's no way Liverpool are signing him at that price with a year left on his contract. Maybe Newcastle instead? He'd probably rather stay at Chelsea or wait out for more options the following year.

Crimson King

Beggars can't be choosers, there's no way Liverpool are signing him at that price with a year left on his contract. Maybe Newcastle instead? He'd probably rather stay at Chelsea or wait out for more options the following year.
Who's begging though? There seems to be plenty of interest in him.

Listen, I'm not entirely sold on the idea either, but I think he's proven and you can do a lot worse for that fee if it's true. It's probably a deal that can be done pretty quickly too, so he could go on the pre-season tour.

As fans we don't tend to think about these things, and want a fancier name than Mount, but the manager has to live in the real world and try to put together a team will before next season starts.

JuriM

Mount is a nothing player. Name one thing he’s good at.
Calling Mount like player a nothing player shows how terrible a person you are only and how much you lack football knowledge - whether he is the right fit we need to add to our midfield atm. is another question. If Ten Hag sees him as the missing link, then let's go. He is still young and should have his best years ahead of him.

crossy1686

career ending
Calling Mount like player a nothing player shows how terrible a person you are only and how much you lack football knowledge - whether he is the right fit we need to add to our midfield atm. is another question. If Ten Hag sees him as the missing link, then let's go. He is still young and should have his best years ahead of him.
:lol: Harsh no? And you failed to answer the question, what’s he good at?

He’s the wrong fit, it won’t work out and we’ll be stuck with another player that doesn’t fit the team or the way we’re trying to play. What do we do if Ten Hag gets sacked next season and we’re stuck with another couple of players that can only play under him?

Mount has had three managers at Chelsea and has only looked good under Lampard and a couple of months under Tuchel, and even then it’s not like he was great.

Why don’t you enlighten us with your superior footballing knowledge and tell us why he’ll be a roaring success at United?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not sold on him but if ETH is wanting him, may be he has a plan. The least we can do is trust him and he deserves it given his recent signings. Also HG .

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It would be a very boring forum if we were all forced we agree with every decision the club makes and the manager makes.

We're spending £50+m on essentially an upgrade on VDB as Bruno's back up, which seems an inefficient use of our resources.

Fred and Mctominay should be replaced by an elite deep lying playmaker, and a player who can deputise for Casemiro as a DM when he's not playing. Mount fits neither category.
That’s just not an accurate analysis, not even a little bit. If he’s signed he’s being signed to be a partner to Casemiro to replace Eriksen, as an 8. Not as a DvdB replacement. He contributes to the defensive and attacking phase of the play and has a great engine. I’d venture to say it is an excellent use of resources. He covers two positions 8 and 10. Plus Rabiot on a free, who can cover 6 and 8.

Keanes Magic Hat

Not sold on him but if ETH is wanting him, may be he has a plan. The least we can do is trust him and he deserves it given his recent signings. Also HG .
I've absolute trust in ETH and he knows a lot more than me but I just dont see the attraction of Mount, not really sure what he does that well but a few good managers seem to like him.

luke511

Who's begging though? There seems to be plenty of interest in him.

Listen, I'm not entirely sold on the idea either, but I think he's proven and you can do a lot worse for that fee if it's true. It's probably a deal that can be done pretty quickly too, so he could go on the pre-season tour.

As fans we don't tend to think about these things, and want a fancier name than Mount, but the manager has to live in the real world and try to put together a team will before next season starts.
£55 million is a serious amount of cash for a player with one year left on his contract. I don't see anyone paying that apart from us and maybe Newcastle? I think it has potential to be a waste of money if we can sign Rabiot on a free for that role in the squad, whilst we still need a long term no 6 and deep lying playmaker.

Dominos

Werner and Havertz are also CL winners and played major roles in their run to that trophy.

Mount's comparable players in his position at other top clubs are Bruno, Odegaard, De Bruyne. He's miles behind them, so we're certainly not adding an elite player to our side.

So we have to hope and pray that we can somehow turn a decent but not great attacking player into a disciplined, elite deep lying midfielder. I just don't see it.

crossy1686

career ending
Not really, there are many facets of football that don't catch the average fans eye so aren't appreciated
And I agree with you, for me Modric is one of those players, his stats don’t do him justice, but I just don’t see anything near someone like Modric’s ability in Mount.

Dominos

That’s just not an accurate analysis, not even a little bit. If he’s signed he’s being signed to be a partner to Casemiro to replace Eriksen, as an 8. Not as a DvdB replacement. He contributes to the defensive and attacking phase of the play and has a great engine. I’d venture to say it is an excellent use of resources. He covers two positions 8 and 10. Plus Rabiot on a free, who can cover 6 and 8.
That's exactly the problem I described? We're trying to turn a decent attacking player into an elite level deep lying midfielder to replace Eriksen, which I don't think he is and I don't see him becoming.

At some point next season we'll realise Mount is not the answer as Casemiro's midfield partner and we'll be asking for another midfield signing. At this point we'll start to see him as an alternative Bruno when he doesn't play, which is the role VDB currently occupies (poorly, I might add). Mount will do a much better job at providing cover for Bruno than anyone else, but I don't see him as the answer to replace Eriksen's current role in the team.

crossy1686

career ending
Did you even watch it?
Yeah, it just said things like “he has intelligence to know when to press” and “he has athleticism, good close control and pace when carrying the ball” and 24 goals in 3 seasons.

But he still can’t beat a man and he’s easily crowded out of a game. We need leaders and big game players, not fair weather Sancho’s.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can understand why fans would be be underwhelmed by signing someone like Mason Mount. But I also completely understand why managers like EtH, Tuchel, Klopp and Arteta would want to sign a player like Mount. But the thread below provides some detail on why Mount would be a good fit for a team who want to dominate the game. And dominating the game also means defending from the front by pressing in a intelligent manner whilst showing good ability on the ball to dribble, run in-behind and retain possession under pressure. Mount has shown that at a higher level than the likes of Fred or Mctominay and his off the ball work higher up the pitch is needed. I don't see him playing in a deeper role but I can see why the aforementioned managers would want him in a more advanced midfield role. I think another midfielder will be brought in to play next to Casemiro and i'm hoping Hannibal Mejbri is seen as a rotation option behind Bruno and Mount in a advanced midfield position. I think Hannibal could surprise us if utilised in a functional team rather than the Birmingham team who were tipped for relegation. Brighton sent Caicedo on loan to a team in Belgium and that team ended up getting relegated. Caicedo was said to have not stoodout, but it's not easy to standout in a team that was struggling.

Mount isn't a exciting signing but rather he's a systems signing. And that system takes effect from the back hence it's reported that ten Hag wants a keeper aswell.

Hoof the ball

Imagine if Levy didn't let Kane leave, we gave Chelsea money for Mount and that freed them up to snatch Osimhen, whilst we do a last minute deal for Haller. The scenes. :lol:

JuriM

:lol: Harsh no? And you failed to answer the question, what’s he good at?

He’s the wrong fit, it won’t work out and we’ll be stuck with another player that doesn’t fit the team or the way we’re trying to play. What do we do if Ten Hag gets sacked next season and we’re stuck with another couple of players that can only play under him?

Mount has had three managers at Chelsea and has only looked good under Lampard and a couple of months under Tuchel, and even then it’s not like he was great.

Why don’t you enlighten us with your superior footballing knowledge and tell us why he’ll be a roaring success at United?
If you are coming out of the woodwork saying that someone is useless - that's a fast way to my shitlist, I have an ick for people like that.

Mason is box to box midfielder for the highest term of that, solid at both ends of the pitch, but we have this kind of player already and if we are selling both McTominay & Fred then and bring in Mason instead - we still have someone with more playmaking and game management skill set. Someone who can play the role Erikssen played for us the most this season.

Crimson King

I wouldn't trust Umaxit for their analysis of football players. They did a similar video about Lingard. Went to complete shit a year after that video.
The vid itself is by Anka who's a big Utd fan, as well as being a stats nerd. Some of the analysis might be based on his opinion, and I think he made the vid before we were seriously linked so he doesn't mention us as a destination, but I believe some of the tactical ideas he posits would fit with how EtH might be approaching this signing.

I've already said it in this thread but I'll say it again; I'm not totally sold on this signing either. I am trying to be open to it though, and see how it could work, and perhaps even be a bit of a masterstroke, especially if we get a proper CF in.

Chief123

Costa
Frimpong-Kim- Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro
Eriksen-Bruno
Mount
Kane-Rashford

Return of the diamond & the unamed, Rice covers or plays alongside Casemiro.Single sub of mount for winger changes to 433 & vice versa.​
For the last 10 years, every end of season/pre-season there are numerous posts like this suggesting we should play a diamond system. Never happens. Probably ever will for the foreseeable future.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
£55 million is a serious amount of cash for a player with one year left on his contract. I don't see anyone paying that apart from us and maybe Newcastle? I think it has potential to be a waste of money if we can sign Rabiot on a free for that role in the squad, whilst we still need a long term no 6 and deep lying playmaker.
Not anymore it's not, personally I don't think Mount is right for us but that doesn't make him a bad player, as a cog in the right structure he's probably very good, it could be that ETH is looking at him in conjunction with another addition to he team, one thing I do know though, ETH knows a heck of a lot more about managing a football team than any of us do!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
For the last 10 years, every end of season/pre-season there are numerous posts like this suggesting we should play a diamond system. Never happens. Probably ever will for the foreseeable future.
Diamond aside, any team that doesn't include Varane in it isn't gonna be right either for the near/medium future

Crimson King

Yeah, it just said things like “he has intelligence to know when to press” and “he has athleticism, good close control and pace when carrying the ball” and 24 goals in 3 seasons.

But he still can’t beat a man and he’s easily crowded out of a game. We need leaders and big game players, not fair weather Sancho’s.
Who are these players? How much are they going to cost?

edcunited1878

I can understand why fans would be be underwhelmed by signing someone like Mason Mount. But I also completely understand why managers like EtH, Tuchel, Klopp and Arteta would want to sign a player like Mount. But the thread below provides some detail on why Mount would be a good fit for a team who want to dominate the game. And dominating the game also means defending from the front by pressing in a intelligent manner whilst showing good ability on the ball to dribble, run in-behind and retain possession under pressure. Mount has shown that at a higher level than the likes of Fred or Mctominay and his off the ball work higher up the pitch is needed. I don't see him playing in a deeper role but I can see why the aforementioned managers would want him in a more advanced midfield role. I think another midfielder will be brought in to play next to Casemiro and i'm hoping Hannibal Mejbri is seen as a rotation option behind Bruno and Mount in a advanced midfield position. I think Hannibal could surprise us if utilised in a functional team rather than the Birmingham team who were tipped for relegation. Brighton sent Caicedo on loan to a team in Belgium and that team ended up getting relegated. Caicedo was said to have not stoodout, but it's not easy to standout in a team that was struggling.

Mount isn't a exciting signing but rather he's a systems signing. And that system takes effect from the back hence it's reported that ten Hag wants a keeper aswell.

People haven't really noticed the change in shape the past few matches, and again, it fits the bill with Mount.

Bruno and Eriksen are responsible for the left and right channel, especially when off the ball. When United are in possession, they both push forward with Casemiro behind or if the opposition is pinned in, Casemiro can push higher and be an overload.

Eriksen has gotten overran the past few matches, especially the Chelsea match, but that's the risk you take. With Mount, he wouldn't be as lightweight and has the knack for the defensive off ball work.

This would be a shrewed signing, even if it's higher than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.