Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

The price is what makes this good or bad for me, At around the 25m mark its a very good signing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Funny enough, Chelsea fans say he's a natural 8 and not a 10.
I could be wrong but to me he has always looked like an attacking 8, some of them used to be deployed higher than a CM but lower than a traditional ten, like Stankovic. Now the impression that I have and it could be wrong is that Mount has two flaws his positioning and his ability to disappear during certain games but that could easily be due to him being around 21-22 years old when I largely watched him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I am sick and tired of us signing non flashy and non star players. I want us to sign bombastic kind of talents with proven records at a big club. Players like Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Pogba and Alexis Sanchez.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wouldn’t Maddison be a better buy for a similar price?
Definitely. Mount is only effective when he has space. Maddison excels under pressure and in tight spaces, which is what we need.

If Mount is going to be our ball carrier from deep then we are in trouble because his touch is often loose, and he isn't a particularly impressive passer. Maddison on the other hand always keeps the ball close which is why it's so hard to dispossess him without fouling him so, even though he's no Scholes when it comes to passing, you can at least trust him to protect the ball.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
According to The Athletic, Mount himself has always said that no.8 is his best position

AlPistacho

[/QUOTE]
I could be wrong but to me he has always looked like an attacking 8, some of them used to be deployed higher than a CM but lower than a traditional ten, like Stankovic. Now the impression that I have and it could be wrong is that Mount has two flaws his positioning and his ability to disappear during certain games but that could easily be due to him being around 21-22 years old when I largely watched him.
I think you’re right. Probably signed because he’s the player to play between Casemiro and Bruno.

When I’ve seen him play he’s always appeared out of position either wide or too far toward. I think at United in ETH system he’ll play in his natural position that utilises all his attributes.

Kaos

The price is what makes this good or bad for me, At around the 25m mark its a very good signing.
Itll be double that at least. No chance Chelsea sell for anything that low. Arsenal and Liverpool would happily bid 30-40 million, so we'll be trying to price them out.

saivet

As a no.10 I think Maddison is better than Mount but given ETH wants to play Mount as a no.8, I'd be similarly if not more concerned about Maddison's capability of playing in CM. Maddison has less of an engine, less experience in deeper positions and is probably less reliable, albeit more talented/flashy than Mount.

Even with MacAllister, I think he probably seems more solid defensively than Mount as a CM but that's about it, if I had to choose one I'd likely go with Mount as a no.8 rather than Maddison or MacAllister.

AlPistacho

Which is fair enough, but you'd hope we wouldn't be splurging 60m and above on him. Is he an automatic starter over Eriksen?
Eriksen has been a decent signing, very good for a free signing. But let’s not kid ourselves he doesn’t dominate the game technically long enough and doesn’t make up for it with work rate. Lots of matches he’s been a passenger. Not rubbish but just a passenger. It’s one thing to make mistakes like say Fred, but it’s another for the game to just pass by you like you’re not even there like McTomminay.

cyberman

Definitely. Mount is only effective when he has space. Maddison excels under pressure and in tight spaces, which is what we need.

If Mount is going to be our ball carrier from deep then we are in trouble because his touch is often loose, and he isn't a particularly impressive passer. Maddison on the other hand always keeps the ball close which is why it's so hard to dispossess him without fouling him so, even though he's no Scholes when it comes to passing, you can at least trust him to protect the ball.
Why would you value fouls for a ball carrier? Doesn’t that suggest he can’t get away from players?

saivet

I think this will largely be the case at United too. He's not one to control games and get his foot on the ball nor does he have good defensive awareness. It's easy to say he's good defensively as he's a great presser, particularly high up the pitch, but being good defensively as an attacking player is an entirely different ball game to being good defensively in defensive or the middle thirds.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact Macallister went to Liverpool makes me sure the guy is shit. Most of their signings have been underwhelming for some time now.

Overrated Argentinian Player from Brighton that no club at the peak of their powers bought.

estel_manutd

I’d rather dominate the game via passing than via work rate - Mount *might* help us with the latter, but certainly not with the former. I am truly stumped by this potential signing. Also, paying anything more than £40 million for him would be madness.

redIndianDevil

FFS. Watch Kovacic playing an important role for City and Mount stinking up the midfield for us. 60m for a squad player. We deserve everything we get. We won't improve at all with this signing, it's just a sideways move. At best he'd be good to decent against low level PL clubs and go hiding during games that seriously matter. Why the feck can't be sign a proper central midfielder instead of diddling around with player who can do a job there. Also we will do a wonderful job of helping out another top 4 rival.

It doesn't matter that Liverpool wanted to sign Mount. There are a completely different team to us, their midfield don't rely on passing and holding possession. They rely solely on pressing and causing turnovers in dangerous areas and rely on their superior fullbacks. That's why their midfield needs engine more than vision, creativity and passing. We are no where close to that level of pressing, we don't have talented wide attackers and fullbacks to do that as well. All this talk of Liverpool wanting him so he must be good is just silly comparison. Liverpool made do with Henderson as their midfield lynchpin , their peak team had a midfield that lacked creativity. We are not like that at all. Also about Pochettino wanting him as well, that's fecking ridiculous too. If he really wanted and pushed for him, Chelsea would have found a way to sign him. Pochettino can clearly make do with out him, he is not going to come out and say he doesn't need Mount.

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about. A good manager doesn't mean all his transfers are going to be successful as well. He really scared me in the last summer window on his insistence for de Jong and lack of alternative targets.

It's a crucial summer window for us, we don't have enough transfer funds, PL has become even more competitive with a new moneybags team joining in. Chelsea and Spurs will solely concentrate on the PL top 4 and one of them already have a quality manager. City, Arsenal, Newcastle all have a very good squad. Liverpool is a very dangerous team and as they showed late in the season they can steamroll teams(even without a midfield).

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

Agree with most of this, but I have yet to see any evidence that ETH is “demanding” Mount.

It’s equally likely that we are signing him because Chelsea have offered him to us as surplus to their requirements, ETH hasn’t been given any alternatives and reckons he’s the best he’s going to get.

Edit: I do believe Mount is a much better player than lots of people in here seem to think.
Most of the transfer news have stated that EtH is pushing for Mount.

L1nk

But i'd argue that between Mount and Maddison, Maddison is more similar to Bruno and he's not going to replace Bruno so I can see why Mount is the option that's being preferred

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Wouldn’t Maddison be a better buy for a similar price?
He would be a very good choice if we're looking for a pure #10. What doesn't make any sense for us at the moment.

Mount is better for what we need but still I am not sure if he's the right profile (I would prefer someone who plays deeper than him).

Baneofthegame

FFS. Watch Kovacic playing an important role for City and Mount stinking up the midfield for us. 60m for a squad player. We deserve everything we get. We won't improve at all with this signing, it's just a sideways move. At best he'd be good to decent against low level PL clubs and go hiding during games that seriously matter. Why the feck can't be sign a proper central midfielder instead of diddling around with player who can do a job there. Also we will do a wonderful job of helping out another top 4 rival.

It doesn't matter that Liverpool wanted to sign Mount. There are a completely different team to us, their midfield don't rely on passing and holding possession. They rely solely on pressing and causing turnovers in dangerous areas and rely on their superior fullbacks. That's why their midfield needs engine more than vision, creativity and passing. We are no where close to that level of pressing, we don't have talented wide attackers and fullbacks to do that as well. All this talk of Liverpool wanting him so he must be good is just silly comparison. Liverpool made do with Henderson as their midfield lynchpin , their peak team had a midfield that lacked creativity. We are not like that at all. Also about Pochettino wanting him as well, that's fecking ridiculous too. If he really wanted and pushed for him, Chelsea would have found a way to sign him. Pochettino can clearly make do with out him, he is not going to come out and say he doesn't need Mount.

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about. A good manager doesn't mean all his transfers are going to be successful as well. He really scared in the last summer window on his insistence for de Jong and lack of alternative targets.

It's a crucial summer window for us, we don't have enough transfer funds, PL has become even more competitive with a new moneybags team joining in. Chelsea and Spurs will solely concentrate on the PL top 4 and one of them already have a quality manager. City, Arsenal, Newcastle all have a very good squad. Liverpool is a very dangerous team and as they showed late in the season they can steamroll teams(even without a midfield).
You must be fun at parties.

Josh 76

For the first time we have a manager who is after players to fit into his system. For too long Utd have gone for big name players and they have all been underwhelming.

Im excited about this approach to be honest. Klopp has done this for last few years and it’s worked well.

L1nk

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about. A good manager doesn't mean all his transfers are going to be successful as well. He really scared in the last summer window on his insistence for de Jong and lack of alternative targets.

You mean like hiding in the CL final against City?

I don't understand why you seem to think you know what we need more than our actual manager and recruitment team, surely ETH knows what he needs, he's not just signing Mount because he likes his name but otherwise has no clue how he's going to use him

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's absolutely an 8. People are getting fixated on where he's written on a teamsheet and thus completely dismissing one of Mount's best attributes - his tactical flexibility and intelligence to fill a variety of roles within the same match.

When Chelsea were humming, the formation was a 3-4-2-1 with Mount and Werner as inside forwards. But very obviously they weren't playing the same position - Werner pushed much higher, Mount dropped deep, Havertz floated around in between the two of them. The common denominator for Chelsea struggling was when Mount would get isolated too far up the pitch - when he is able to drop into a pocket of space and turn, he's typically excellent (usually due to either Werner pushing high, or Alonso / Chilwell). Playing him as a left 8 for United thus makes a ton of sense - Rashford will push up higher and Mount will have ample space between the lines to wreak havoc.

redIndianDevil

You mean like hiding in the CL final against City?

I don't understand why you seem to think you know what we need more than our actual manager and recruitment team, surely ETH knows what he needs, he's not just signing Mount because he likes his name but otherwise has no clue how he's going to use him
I don't get what you mean by the first line.

I'm not claiming to know more than the managers. It's just my opinion. The same defence has been used over and over by our fans when Moyes, Ole, Mourinho, LvG all demanded players. Managers are not infallible when it comes to transfers. Why do you think almost all big clubs have a sporting director handling transfers?

Lights Out

Maddison is a random name in the sense they're not alike.
There are countless articles around comparing the two and there was a even a debate on which one should go to the World Cup last year.

But fair do’s, they’re nothing alike, I just randomly plucked a name out of the air that was a similar age, similar position, same nationality, similar availability and similar stats.

Don't Kill Bill

That and he hasn't signed or kicked a ball for us yet. If he comes and shines the transfer will be defensible.

redIndianDevil

That and he hasn't signed or kicked a ball for us yet. If he comes and shines the transfer will be defensible.
60m and 250k+ wages as well when our rumoured transfer budget is 100m(+ player sales). Can you think about the reaction if our board is pushing for this instead of EtH?

For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about.
He needs people he can trust, right now. That mostly means either quality players who know the league (or are proven beyond any doubt, like Casemiro), or players outside the league he knows has what it takes mentally to play for him.

It's a bit boring, sure, but it will have to do for now.

Real Name

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about. A good manager doesn't mean all his transfers are going to be successful as well. He really scared me in the last summer window on his insistence for de Jong and lack of alternative targets.

Who do we have then?
No talented fullbacks, not possession based midfielders, wide attackers not talented too.
I'm sure ETH knows why he wants Mount and is maybe going for something similar as Liverpool as opposed to possession based play.

Status
Not open for further replies.