Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

You think Mount isn't creative? From 2020-2022 he was 4th in the PL in expected assists. Dismissing him as some sort of engine merchant is ridiculous.
IMO Manchester United need creativity deep in the midfield. Everyone would say Bruno is more creative than Casemiro but at central midfield, Casemiro makes better passes and initiates attacks than Bruno. It's different skillset which I think Mount lacks. Any one can make a number of successful forward passes that are safe without causing opponents any trouble.

Real Name

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about.
So he should go for players he knows nothing about you reckon?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
IMO Manchester United need creativity deep in the midfield. Everyone would say Bruno is more creative than Casemiro but at central midfield, Casemiro makes better passes and initiates attacks than Bruno. It's different skillset which I think Mount lacks. Any one can make a number of successful forward passes that are safe without causing opponents any trouble.
Mount is plenty good at dropping deep and initiating attacks - I'd argue that he's far better at this than Bruno personally.

Mount played in front of Jorginho and Kante when he was at his best - those two have never pulled up trees creatively; the hub of the best Tuchel Chelsea was always Mount dropping deep and creating.

redIndianDevil

He needs people he can trust, right now. That mostly means either quality players who know the league (or are proven beyond any doubt, like Casemiro), or players outside the league he knows has what it takes mentally to play for him.

It's a bit boring, sure, but it will have to do for now.
How long do we have to follow this approach when it has been clear that it doesn't work? It was the same with Moyes signing Fellaini, Mourinho demanding Willian, Perisic, Matic etc. Ole with his British signings who "knew" the league. Sure sign a proven winner like Casemiro or try for talent beyond a doubt like de Jong but this?

Real Name

Mount is plenty good at dropping deep and initiating attacks - I'd argue that he's far better at this than Bruno personally.

Mount played in front of Jorginho and Kante when he was at his best - those two have never pulled up trees creatively; the hub of the best Tuchel Chelsea was always Mount dropping deep and creating.
@NK86.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can't say I'm turning cartwheels. When he has his less effective games he's like a ghost, he's coming off an absolute wasted season and I find him to be an unlikeable Scrappy Doo-style twerp in the mould of Wilshire.

That said he's been a fine player before, he's still young and ultimately I trust ten Hag to know the types of players he needs for this squad. If he's the big marquee signing of the summer I'd be disappointed, and as always when you're buying from a rival you judge whether that club are bothered about losing the player and whether we should be after the next signing they'll make instead, but it makes a nice change to see us get business done early. If Mount can hit the ground running and use what I hope will be an already-established understanding with the England players we have I'm more than happy to give him a chance.

redIndianDevil

So he should go for players he knows nothing about you reckon?
No. Sign talented players that we need is what I'm saying. Why does it have to be the most obvious, expensive ones? Then once the season starts we end up wondering where the feck did this player come from, he'd have been perfect for us.

padzilla

Hipster
If he's in the last year of his contract and pretty much a squad player at Chelsea then we shouldn't be looking to pay more than 20-30million at a push.

Clicks on The Guardian who claim Chelsea want 60 million for him, ha ha!

If we pay that then we deserve everything we get.

L1nk

If he's in the last year of his contract and pretty much a squad player at Chelsea then we shouldn't be looking to pay more than 20-30million at a push.

It's 2023 man 20-30million is just not gonna happen

PeteManic

Lets not forget that Mount is also best friends with Declan Rice since when they both came through Chelsea. Agent Mount.

Real Name

No. Sign talented players that we need is what I'm saying. Why does it have to be the most obvious, expensive ones? Then once the season starts we end up wondering where the feck did this player come from, he'd have been perfect for us.
He is talented. Who are those mythical talented players you're thinking of?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agree with most of this, but I have yet to see any evidence that ETH is “demanding” Mount.

It’s equally likely that we are signing him because Chelsea have offered him to us as surplus to their requirements, ETH hasn’t been given any alternatives and reckons he’s the best he’s going to get.

Edit: I do believe Mount is a much better player than lots of people in here seem to think.
If that’s the case there no reason for us to rush and make a move for this signing before the transfer window is even opened.

I think ETH has got a plan in his mind, and Mount (type of player) could be crucial to his plan.

redIndianDevil

If I remember correctly Tuchel's Chelsea were a bit goal shy and relied a lot of defensive resilience and wingbacks shouldering the creative responsibility.

fallengt

Im convinced glazers want to feck United up one last time before selling
55m is already overpriced for a backup player who has 1 year left on his contract.
Id rather keep Fred

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

Casemiro and Varane were in their last year of their contracts and we paid whatever Real Madrid wanted. We're the mugs everyone goes to when they need to offload someone for a ridiculous price.

redIndianDevil

He is talented. Who are those mythical talented players you're thinking of?
The same rebuttal again. "Why don't you name players?" It's not my fecking job to watch all leagues and suggest players. Our clubs employs people to do that. How the feck did Newcastle come up with Bruno Guimaraes?

Real Name

The same rebuttal again. "Why don't you name players?" It's not my fecking job to watch all leagues and suggest players. Our clubs employs people to do that. How the feck did Newcastle come up with Bruno Guimaraes?
Haha, well I know its not your job but I thought some players caught your eye. If we would be in for some talented, unknown player how would you know he's talented and worth a hassle?
You know Mount is expensive and obvious but you dont know who should we go for instead. Sounds legit.

redIndianDevil

I've already said Bruno lacks the skills to play deep, being marginally better than Mount is not what we should be looking for.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If I remember correctly Tuchel's Chelsea were a bit goal shy and relied a lot of defensive resilience and wingbacks shouldering the creative responsibility.
Don't really think this is accurate, outside of a terrible season of finishing in 20/21 where we accumulated 68.6 xG and only scored 58. In contrast, Man United had 63.2 xG and scored 73.

In 21/22, we scored 76 in the league despite a completely tumultuous situation off the pitch.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Agree with most of this, but I have yet to see any evidence that ETH is “demanding” Mount.

It’s equally likely that we are signing him because Chelsea have offered him to us as surplus to their requirements, ETH hasn’t been given any alternatives and reckons he’s the best he’s going to get.

Edit: I do believe Mount is a much better player than lots of people in here seem to think.
And I did not say he was demanding him. I'm saying that if Mount signs then it will be because the manager has made the decision that he can use this player

I don't know what he does. Every time I've watched him I forget he's there.

He might come in to replace Fred (erratic and likely leaving) and Eriksen (hasn't got the legs). He combines some of the best attributes of both, though is not as good at those attributes as either of them. If he's happy to rotate with them and play understudy to Bruno then sign him up for an appropriate fee. Whatever happens it will strengthen the squad when our biggest issue has been the drop off in quality with the bench players.

GazTheLegend

Mount is a bit underrated. There's a reason every manager he's had has preferred him over lots of other alternatives, including Southgate. Now while I don't trust Southgate as a manager - far too cautious and crap with subs - his backroom staff and analysts seem to have got it right with a number of players that otherwise you might not have expected, like Saka etc. Mount was preferred over Grealish and the like, and I'm sure he will be a good player for us if he comes.

iato89

FFS. Watch Kovacic playing an important role for City and Mount stinking up the midfield for us. 60m for a squad player. We deserve everything we get. We won't improve at all with this signing, it's just a sideways move. At best he'd be good to decent against low level PL clubs and go hiding during games that seriously matter. Why the feck can't be sign a proper central midfielder instead of diddling around with player who can do a job there. Also we will do a wonderful job of helping out another top 4 rival.

It doesn't matter that Liverpool wanted to sign Mount. There are a completely different team to us, their midfield don't rely on passing and holding possession. They rely solely on pressing and causing turnovers in dangerous areas and rely on their superior fullbacks. That's why their midfield needs engine more than vision, creativity and passing. We are no where close to that level of pressing, we don't have talented wide attackers and fullbacks to do that as well. All this talk of Liverpool wanting him so he must be good is just silly comparison. Liverpool made do with Henderson as their midfield lynchpin , their peak team had a midfield that lacked creativity. We are not like that at all. Also about Pochettino wanting him as well, that's fecking ridiculous too. If he really wanted and pushed for him, Chelsea would have found a way to sign him. Pochettino can clearly make do with out him, he is not going to come out and say he doesn't need Mount.

The only reason this transfer is defensible is because EtH is pushing for it. If Ole wanted to sign him everyone would be up in arms by now after his disaster signings. For me EtH has clearly shown he lacks wider knowledge about talent that is available, he has only ever demanded players who have played for him or he knows about. A good manager doesn't mean all his transfers are going to be successful as well. He really scared me in the last summer window on his insistence for de Jong and lack of alternative targets.

It's a crucial summer window for us, we don't have enough transfer funds, PL has become even more competitive with a new moneybags team joining in. Chelsea and Spurs will solely concentrate on the PL top 4 and one of them already have a quality manager. City, Arsenal, Newcastle all have a very good squad. Liverpool is a very dangerous team and as they showed late in the season they can steamroll teams(even without a midfield).
I bet you barely watched him play! He won 2 times player of the year at Chelsea (and in their CL winning season). Lots of managers want him (ETH, arteta, klopp and poch) yet for some reason, by your own knowledge you think he will be a bad signing!! Most of ETH are all success, whilst other need more time so he has the right to go for the players he want. The underrated of Mount is incredible here.

klsv

No one would question ETH's judgement if he was called Eric Ten Haggis.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Im convinced glazers want to feck United up one last time before selling
55m is already overpriced for a backup player who has 1 year left on his contract.
Id rather keep Fred
Would prefer not more than 40m for sure.

But harsh on him being labelled as “backup player”. He is only 24 and has more England caps than the likes of Grealish, Foden, Phillips, Maddison or Sancho etc. He was also 2 times Chelsea player of the season, including the time when they won CL.

How long do we have to follow this approach when it has been clear that it doesn't work? It was the same with Moyes signing Fellaini, Mourinho demanding Willian, Perisic, Matic etc. Ole with his British signings who "knew" the league. Sure sign a proven winner like Casemiro or try for talent beyond a doubt like de Jong but this?
I mean if your evaluation is that Moyes signing Fellaini and Mourinho Matic is the same as EtH bringing in Antony and Martinez simply because in all three cases the manager had previously worked with the player, I don't know quite what to tell you.

I'd say he's proven that he doesn't bring in these players simply as a desperate short term solution to save his own behind, no matter the consquences for the club down the line, like Mourinho.

If he somehow loses his mind and actually signs Weghorst I'll retract all this though :lol:

cyberman

No one would question ETH's judgement if he was called Eric Ten Haggis.
If Mount were the exact same player and had the exact same career but was coming from Bayern or Madrid, fans here would be creaming themselves over him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Chelsea will price them all out of a move initially, then realise they absolutely have to sell and probably start being more realistic when the more clubs approach them for more players.

You can't have a squad that big and expect premium fees for everyone.

Swedish_Plumber

Better players on paper have come here and “stunk the place up”. We’d do well to reserve our judgement until he’s played for us.

He’s won a lot already both personally and with Chelsea. That’s got to count for something.

justsomebloke

As our big go-to signing in midfield, this does feel a little bit underwhelming. That said, there's a lot of tosh on this thread about his level - I don't think there's any question he's a starting XI level player at United. Just not as clearly or as potentially transformative as some other names you could think of, especially at 60m +. But he's a pretty complete player, and could well turn out to be a successful signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.