Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

Good deal, really pleased.

Some of you lot massively underrating Mount. 2x Chelsea player of the season, fair amount of England caps, still 24, CL winner……

£55m is a good price. Christ, look at Rice.
Ironically, this is that weird case in which fans underrate a player without considering age.
Mount is 24, if he were playing at Benfica giving the same performances he has been for Chelsea, we would be all over him and people would have been praising the signing.

Klean

This place is my daily dose of comedy.

Mad because we haven't signed [insert flavor of the month player here]. Signs a Player the manager wants. The fee too expensive, horrible transfer, what are they thinking....

Some of you need to stop playing FIFA and let people who actually do football for a living do their jobs.

izec

We've just funded their purchase of Caicedo, who is already a better player than Mount, who is a Lingard regen in my book.
I usually dont agree with many of your posts (i believe, maybe it is another poster with a similar name), but here you are spot on. An absolute useless transfer and 60m down the drain in a summer, where we needed to catch up. Another expensive (English) mistake after Sancho. We deserve to be where we are and watch City challenge for big trophies if we waste money like we do.

Ahmer Baig

Once again Man Utd taken for a ride over paying for a player. Why then say the offer was final when they were going to increase the price. The clubs know that Man Utd will always pay over the above asking price.

Darlington Padgett

£10m over the initial bid, which wouldn't even get you a backup keeper nowadays. Plus the two teams above us have secured Kovacic and Rice. We couldn't walk away, what do people want?
We also missed out on Rabiot which I believe gave us no option but to pay the extra 5m.

Dobba

It's simple enough guys. He's simultaneously a crap signing who'll flop and won't make us any better and we are absolutely without question going to be successful enough to pay every penny of the add-ons to this deal.

We've just funded their purchase of Caicedo, who is already a better player than Mount, who is a Lingard regen in my book.
We’ve been ripped off and given Chelsea the funds to sign Kanté Mk II.
Jesus Christ :lol:

The £125m they'd gotten from the Saudis, Arsenal and City before we turned up didn't cover it, but the £55m we're giving them suddenly does.

dinostar77

Not sure what to make of mount. ETH wanted him, but ETH wanted Martinez and Antony, the former being a amazing signing, the latter no so much.

Remains to be seen which sidw Mount falls on. Hopefully ETH gets his keeper and striker of choice.

Know we lack some squad depth, but would be good to see the full ETH philosophy on the pitch.

telstar96

In summary, a player who can fill in as a left winger, advanced 8, 10 but not do any of it to a starter level IMO for a title challenging outfit. He worked in that Chelsea outfit under Tuchel because it was a very bespoke system with width provided from the wing backs and Mount had a very versatile role where he could help make the midfield a 3 off the ball and then be a free roaming player in attack with no real responsibility but was expected to get the odd goal and assist which he did well before his recent downturn in form. In the league this system was easy to prepare for and Mount wasn't able to be dynamic and unpredictable enough to push Chelsea to the next level, whereas in UCL he was a surprise package from a tactical perspective.

Based on his age, last year of contract and the fact he doesn't really fill any gaping hole in this United squad - on balance, £40m would be a fair price but is he going to be a rotation option or shoehorned into the starting XI. I like him but am struggling to see the tactical fit here between him and Bruno? Seems more of a player who would sort out Liverpool's current issues or fit in at Newcastle.
If you haven't managed to catch this, Raees' breakdown of Mount's game. I think by United's standards - not the biggest 'overpayment' I have seen. Going to be intriguing how Mount is used as it isn't a seamless fit into this side and that does concern me but can ETH unlock new elements from Mount tactically? As a wideman or as a 10 - due to Bruno's presence, he isn't going to bring £55m worth of improvement. But if he can adapt to a midfield based role, he could be a potential revelation that no one was expecting.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Regarding the original post I had quoted, which is basically about big money moves and the divisive opinion, only Martinez/Antony, AWB and Casemiro applies here. Martinez/Antony came with glowing rave reviews from Ajax fans and incredible stats, Casemiro's achievements are enough said even if there were a few but consistent murmurs of age/last paycheck and AWB was a young english talent, who had shown insane athleticism and growth after 1 year in the PL. At worst, the opinion was 50 (in favour/not negative)/50 (not keen/negative) for those.

With Mount it feels 40/60 and it feels more pronounced because (I'm assuming) the majority of the one's not too keen on the move have unlike the above transfers mentioned actually watched him way more regularly in the league and internationally. So in some ways, it's comes from a more informed opinion. That's all I have to say about that because it's done deal now.

My personal opinion is that it feels like an opportunity lost where the floor is definitely raised but not the ceiling. I fully expect Mount to perform 'well' but then I expect our team to perform well anyways after a year of growth under ETH with hopefully better game managing from him/the players and the fact we now know where we stand as a team; it also doesn't hurt that individually we will have the superior players to the opposition 80% of the time. I'm a bit sour but I suppose if I took a step back and realise, perhaps if Mount helps us beat those teams more convincingly (against those said 80% of other 'lower' teams), then it will certainly be another level of progression that I can't be unhappy about. It's just the other 20% and taking another transformative step I was hoping for (not as one single player of course but even then I feel his potential influence seems to be on the lower end).
I can understand that, and I appreciate that it's probably not the giant step forward that many want. I think as I get older and tired of seeing up go through ups and downs I'm just pleased that this is anothet step in the right direction, no matter how small.

Beaucoup

We’ve paid at least 20 million more than we should for a very average player

Raven

Mad because we haven't signed [insert flavor of the month player here]. Signs a Player the manager wants. The fee too expensive, horrible transfer, what are they thinking....

Some of you need to stop playing FIFA and let people who actually do football for a living do their jobs.
May as well shut down the caf in that case.

stu_1992

Done deal it seems. Like most, think we overpayed, but then he was never going to come too much cheaper given the circumstances. 50m would have been about fair.

It's an interesting one though, and I hope it works out for whatever we have planned for him. Having him play the 8 role you'd have to imagine is the plan, and fill in at 10 if/when Fernandes can't play. Will definitely give us more legs in the middle in games where that's needed, in comparison to Eriksen.

I'm hopeful it will be a very good signing anyway. I can't lie, I always assumed he was overrated by Chelsea because he was a home grown player and just in general as he was decent young English player. I'm hoping that turns out to be incorrect.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

Nonsense! Don't sell us so short, we're smarter than them, man.

The Red Thinker

I am very happy with this deal. How many times did we play 433 and find out that Eriksen just could not cope with the running needed to play that way. Mason Mount is that guy. He is crucial to our tactical flexibility.

Great for transitions. Great for presses. Great for progressions. It will make a massive difference.

Oranges038

A step closer to not having to look at Fred or McT in a Utd shirt ever again. That can only be a good thing.

He's a good player, maybe not 60m good, but ETH wants him and that's good enough for me. 2 years ago he had 29/ 30 g/a for Chelsea. If he can hit 2/3 of that along with his work rate and versatility he'll be a good signing.

Born2Lose

Considering his contract situation, I think we've overpaid even if he is a success. Funny how quickly the faith in ETH evaporates the minute he signs a player the hipsters don't like.

Lyng

A step closer to not having to look at Fred or McT in a Utd shirt ever again. That can only be a good thing.

He's a good player, maybe not 60m good, but ETH wants him and that's good enough for me. 2 years ago he had 29/ 30 g/a for Chelsea. If he can hit 2/3 of that along with his work rate and versatility he'll be a good signing.
This is exactly how I feel. I trust ETH and the less we have to watch McT and Fred the better.

kaku06

The hate for this signing has already begun. You know posters who are so sure that he’s gonna be a flop or is a shit signing would be found no where if he performs for us. You would think we are signing Harry winks for 60m the way people are reacting.

zenith

This seems to be a signing to replace both eriksen and VDB at the same time. Really not sure how this will work out but since ETH was so keen on him, I'm eager to see how this works out.

Our manager for sure wants more creativity in the squad and that should explain mount as a signing. Currently, if bruno is having an off day, we are in serious trouble

Raven

I usually dont agree with many of your posts (i believe, maybe it is another poster with a similar name), but here you are spot on. An absolute useless transfer and 60m down the drain in a summer, where we needed to catch up. Another expensive (English) mistake after Sancho. We deserve to be where we are and watch City challenge for big trophies if we waste money like we do.
Caicedo was so obviously the better signing but we've just presented him to Chelsea on a silver fecking platter. Absolute waste of time. I don't usually get so pissed off with signings but this one is just too much.

UDontMessWith24

If Rice is worth £100 million on the open market, then this lad is worth that much too.

He is the same age and has had a much more accomplished career thus far. Two times POTY and CL winner with one of the worlds biggest clubs.

It’s a great piece of business in comparison and adds real quality and tactical flexibility to our midfield.

Even if we just add Onana and a striker now, we are a completely different proposition next season.
He was excellent for Tuchel, a progressive, imaginative manager similar to ETH.
I usually don't advocate book burning but it may be necessary here

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Overpaying but that is nothing new to us. Be a decent squad option. Hopefully still more to come in as not convinced he is the quality you’d be pinning all your hopes on for the midfield but certainly a good player to have in the squad.
Somehow don't see him being a squad option for that amount. I'm expecting a regular starting spot for him.

Mr PG

People can moan all they want but we needed Mount just to make top 4 imo. It's better to overpay a little bit than go for the manager's second choice or drag this on to the end of the window.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
When we played Mase in midfield instead of wing, one very true criticism was he was constantly too far forward in attack creating a huge gap in the middle. Fix that and Mase will cook. He truly does have a tireless motor.

Nori-

Insulting another member
Fans like this need to take a hike, go support a different team, stop bringing everyone down. The manager got the player he wanted, he is the manager, not you.
Let’s all be like you Matthew, let’s not have an opinion and whatever the manager wants is a great bit of business, no questions asked.

Maybe we should give Juve another £89m for Pogba this summer? Make sure you don’t question it though, someone else always knows better.

…..Tw*t.

Belisarius

If Rice is worth £100 million on the open market, then this lad is worth that much too.

He is the same age and has had a much more accomplished career thus far. Two times POTY and CL winner with one of the worlds biggest clubs.

It’s a great piece of business in comparison and adds real quality and tactical flexibility to our midfield.

Even if we just add Onana and a striker now, we are a completely different proposition next season.
I mostly agree with the above. I was also impressed that when Chelsea began dragging their feet we found negotiating tactics to force the pace and get this over the line in the month of June. I think that will be really helpful to our overall window as it allows us to commit to selling at least one of Fred/Donny/Scott early enough in the window that we can probably get one out the door. That will in turn free up funds to help us afford both a GK and a striker (though I'm pessimistic we'll get a striker for any kind of reasonable fee). Doing this early in the window at a reasonable fee is very important.

I also think Mount's age profile is great. We're not buying a 30 year old here. This guy could easily have 7 or 8 good seasons at United. I expect that this will come to be seen by United fans as a very good piece of business probably as early as this Christmas, certainly in the next two or three years.

criticalanalysis

I can understand that, and I appreciate that it's probably not the giant step forward that many want. I think as I get older and tired of seeing up go through ups and downs I'm just pleased that this is anothet step in the right direction, no matter how small.
I suppose I raised my expectations with ETH's development this year, which is basically 'very good' and at best I would say Mount is 'good' so overall I'm on a net negative!

As they say, it's the hope that gets you. Anyways once we announce Onana, I'll be all green smileys again.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Isn't he more of a hardworking number 10?

Could we be planning to switch to some 4-2-2-2 / 4-3-3 hybrid:

Rashford - Hojlund

Mount - Fernandes

Casemiro - Caicedo

Shaw - Martinez - Varane - Dalot

Onana

Does anyone know how we amortize the +5? I have been wondering about these add-on fees, especially as it looks like a large part of any incoming Henderson fee will be in add-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.