Mason Mount's Misfortune

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He’s better for us than Rice. Between Rice and Casmeiro we’d struggle to get out of our half.
Wasn't even remotely my point, and if we're going down the "who do we want more" route the answer is simple, Caicedo.

Rice is a better player with more potential than Mount so I don't see how they can be valued the same. The idea that Mount is a £100m player if his contract wasn't in its final year is nuts.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
If we do lend weight to the idea the no. 7 is a legendary shirt and it means more etc. then surely it is better that a steadier and more reliable player wears it after the run the number has had?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
£100m if his contract wasn't expiring in a year? Christ on a bike. English tax is mad. There's no way in hell this lad is worth anything close to what Rice is.
Tbf it just says that would be the asking price, not what he would actually go for. If he wasn't on the last year of the contract then in real terms he would probably just be regarded as unavailable, because it would take more to prize him from Chelsea than anyone would be willing to pay.

Idxomer

From The Athletic

He is set to be paid more than £200,000 per week, potentially rising to at least £250,000 per week with bonuses — in the same ballpark as the deal Chelsea had originally offered, as well as a rival proposal put forward by Liverpool.
People lost their minds over a number coming from a Chelsea mouthpiece.

RedStarUnited

If we do lend weight to the idea the no. 7 is a legendary shirt and it means more etc. then surely it is better that a steadier and more reliable player wears it after the run the number has had?
The people running our football team are all jokers.

I get Ten Hag might not care, but surely someone should have stepped in.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
That video of him with blonde hair reading off a prepared statement written by his PR team is a disgrace :lol: . Saying nothing would have been better.

El Zoido

I’d have rather seen Garnacho with #7, think this is a strange choice. Doesn’t really matter, like. I’d have got a Garnacho #7 shirt next season, but I sure as hell am not getting a Mason Mount shirt. Time to give Garnacho #11 and he can nail down that LW spot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wasn't even remotely my point, and if we're going down the "who do we want more" route the answer is simple, Caicedo.

Rice is a better player with more potential than Mount so I don't see how they can be valued the same. The idea that Mount is a £100m player if his contract wasn't in its final year is nuts.
Rice’s potential is grossly overstated. Anyway clubs set all sorts of asking prices. A year and a half ago we would have wanted 100m for Rashford and people would have laughed.

Massive Spanner

Tbf it just says that would be the asking price, not what he would actually go for. If he wasn't on the last year of the contract then in real terms he would probably just be regarded as unavailable, because it would take more to prize him from Chelsea than anyone would be willing to pay.
Yeah, more than likely. With fees as they are, it's pretty much impossible to snap up players from big clubs now unless they're in their final year, or just leave on a free (like Kane will probably have to do)

Betson

Have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by this signing when he was linked to us , but I now hopeful this can turn out to be a very good signing for us , nothing flashy or particularly exiting but he has been mostly consistently good in the premier league , maybe more of what we need right now.

As for the number , I could not care less who wears it. We need to stop worrying about trivial things like this and focus on the important stuff.

James35

I’m happy he took 7, you have to be confident and ready to take it, he could have said no surely, so for me it’s good. I want players with confidence and not ones who are willing to hide here whilst making loads of money.

Garnacho will get 11 I reckon and become our starting left winger for years to come.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The people running our football team are all jokers.

I get Ten Hag might not care, but surely someone should have stepped in.
My point that Mount is likely that player to stabilise the rocky road that the no. 7 has been on, if we do care about the squad numbers.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That video of him with blonde hair reading off a prepared statement written by his PR team is a disgrace :lol: . Saying nothing would have been better.
Nothing is sacred in the eyes of a football fan. Mount a Chelsea boy through and through and he still gets stick.

Pr?! feck me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s a footballer. Why do you expect him to be an incredible orator? I think Chelsea fans are looking for any narrative thread to make him out to be an enemy.

Massive Spanner

Rice’s potential is grossly overstated. Anyway clubs set all sorts of asking prices. A year and a half ago we would have wanted 100m for Rashford and people would have laughed.
He's a really good player, I've probably seen him and Mount play the same amount of times and Rice has regularly looked excellent and Mount has always looked very meh. Neither are remotely worth their fee but that's just what transfer prices have gone to these days especially with English internationals. I don't get it with Mount, sadly. He's never looked good, I've never seen him do anything that justifies the hype, just a meh player. I really hope I'm wrong. I reckon I am, given us and other clubs were chasing him, and Chelsea fans adore him and are pissed he's leaving, so yeah, hopefully he's actually as good as they all say!

TsuWave

We gave it to Ronaldo around a similar age.

He was publicly liking tweets saying he should get the 7. His brother also tweeted about it. It's only a number, but it's clear he wanted it, and players are highly superstitious - and I hope he doesn't feel down/less valued because of it.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
This is all too much for me. I need to lie down. I've cancelled all my plans for the week, including anniversary dinner with the missus. I'm writing a letter to the prime minister asking if we could ban the number 7 now.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He’s a footballer. Why do you expect him to be an incredible orator? I think Chelsea fans are looking for any narrative thread to make him out to be an enemy.
Seems you're getting quite emotional about this mate. I think that statement is pretty funny.

Abraxas

To be fair I don't think you have to be a world class orator to make a genuine message to the supporters. Just speak from the heart. Nobody cares if you say a sub optimal word or stutter a little, in fact it would look more genuine than that robotic effort.

The Firestarter

This is all too much for me. I need to lie down. I've cancelled all my plans for the week, including anniversary dinner with the missus. I'm writing a letter to the prime minister asking if we could ban the number 7 now.
You need to chill, Boii

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He’s better for us than Rice. Between Rice and Casmeiro we’d struggle to get out of our half.
To be fair, Rice is very good at carrying the ball from midfield. At one point he had better stats than most wingers in the league for distance travelled with the ball. It was mentioned when he signed for Arsenal that he was way ahead of any of their midfielders in this area, including their more attacking midfielders.

I think people don't really pay attention to what he can do and just lump him into the bracket as a midfield destroyer type.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Weirdos caring about the number 7. The last time it meant anything or had any gravitas attached to it was almost 15 years ago at this point. Get over it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What the feck is up with all you nerds crying over the number of the shirt? Fecking hell :lol: