Mason Mount

Classical Mechanic

Mount is a good all rounder but I don’t see him as top level. He’s better than Lingard but he’s not the threat that Foden, Sancho etc are in the attacking midfield positions. He looks like a good character though in terms of mentality, similar to Bruno, and that in itself can boost an entire teams performance.

can’t understand why CHO has fallen down the pecking order as I think he’s got a lot more to him game than Mount.
There's plenty more gifted players in the England setup but Mount has that attitude and work rate that managers love. The key difference between him and Jesse is their mentality. Lingard by his own admission struggles with confidence whereas Mount is really positive and confident. If Mount can iron out a few of his weaknesses and become more consistent with his quality he can be a very good player.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard also failed the eye test and ended up an EPL legend. Not saying the same will happen with Mount but you can see why he sees him as a pet project.
This. And KDB had similar attributes when we signed him, great striker of the ball and a bit of an all-round game but nothing overwhelmingly special. Mount most importantly has Lampardian :D levels of work rate and determination so is as close as you'd get to being a shoe-in for development into a top player - barring injuries.

Classical Mechanic

He made Wyscout team of the season

Be interested to see the metrics that he's topping to get in if anyone knows? I'd guess things like progressives runs, pressing, xGChain & xGBuildup. He certainly doesn't lead in the more obvious metrics.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's Wyscout. One of the world's leading data analysis and scouting resources. It's used by most top clubs.
And so it must be correct? haha. Statistical analysis can not tell the full story, it will include anomalies and outliers. Mount being in the side along with Jimenez as the striker seems odd to me

Pagh Wraith

No chance IMO. It will be Kante, Mount and Havertz as the 3. Kovacic and Jorginho on the bench.
Kovačić is the first name on the team sheet for Chelsea. Would be very surprised to see him on the bench.

Classical Mechanic

And so it must be correct? haha. Statistical analysis can not tell the full story, it will include anomalies and outliers. Mount being in the side along with Jimenez as the striker seems odd to me
Good chance that it tell a bigger part of the story than the opinion of completely uneducated fans.

It's not whoscored which is limited, it's a company that is a leader in the football data analysis field. As far as I'm aware they use numerous metrics that assess a lot of the things that fans don't pick up on.

Personally I'm not a massive fan of Mount because I like end product, like most fans. It would go some way to explaining why Lampard keeps playing him and why England like him so much, having him ahead of guys like Maddison and Grealish.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good chance that it tell a bigger part of the story than the opinion of completely uneducated fans.

It's not whoscored which is limited, it's a company that is a leader in the football data analysis field. As far as I'm aware they use numerous metrics that assess a lot of the things that fans don't pick up on.

Personally I'm not a massive fan of Mount because I like end product, like most fans. It would go some way to explaining why Lampard keeps playing him and why England like him so much, having him ahead of guys like Maddison and Grealish.
Speak for yourself.

There is a reason clubs scout players and don't just sign based off of their analysis. Statistical analysis is only a supplementary tool, reason being the nature of statistics means you will have anomalies and outliers. Just like xG is a better version of previous statistics you still find many players break the model.

We will see how much he plays next season. However the main point is a team based on stats doesn't mean much and will likely have errors

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Kovačić is the first name on the team sheet for Chelsea. Would be very surprised to see him on the bench.
As much as i like Kova he hasn't been that, Barkley has been selected over him a fair bit.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Speak for yourself.

There is a reason clubs scout players and don't just sign based off of their analysis. Statistical analysis is only a supplementary tool, reason being the nature of statistics means you will have anomalies and outliers. Just like xG is a better version of previous statistics you still find many players break the model.

We will see how much he plays next season. However the main point is a team based on stats doesn't mean much and will likely have errors
Barring injury he will play 45 games at an absolute minimum.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
As much as i like Kova he hasn't been that, Barkley has been selected over him a fair bit.
i dont think the stats back that up this season

Kovacic
Pl Games 31... Pl mins 2074
CL Games 8... CL mins 612

Barkley
PL Games 21... PL mins 1104
CL Games 3... CL mins 161

and as its the mount thread he for comparison has
Mount
PL Games 37... PL mins 2874
CL Games 8... CL mins 451

Classical Mechanic

Speak for yourself.

Or the data backs up why he's backed very strongly by the two sides that are working with him.

Pagh Wraith

Under Sarri, but surely not this season. He's been phenomenal I think. Most forward passes in the league, most progressive runs in the league, highest dribble success rate in the league. Also voted player of the season by some distance by Chelsea fans online if that counts for anything. I'm a big fan of his although that is also down to his style which is very easy on the eye.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He made Wyscout team of the season

Be interested to see the metrics that he's topping to get in if anyone knows? I'd guess things like progressives runs, pressing, xGChain & xGBuildup. He certainly doesn't lead in the more obvious metrics.
Most pressures of any player in the top 6 (13th overall, remarkable given Chelsea were 3rd in possession this year) while also finishing 10th in shot creating actions in the league. A very valuable combination (albeit one that's understandably under the radar). Mount is really the cornerstone to our entire press; without him we always look disjointed.

Under Sarri, but surely not this season. He's been phenomenal I think. Most forward passes in the league, most progressive runs in the league, highest dribble success rate in the league. Also voted player of the season by some distance by Chelsea fans online if that counts for anything. I'm a big fan of his although that is also down to his style which is very easy on the eye.
Barkley has played over Kovacic when we've used a 4-3-3 as one of the two 8s. Kovacic is our best midfielder in a double pivot, but increasingly it seems Lampard wants to use a 4-3-3. Mount will definitely take one of the spots as an 8; would expect Havertz on the other side and Kovacic on the bench to allow for tactical flexibility.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He’s an excellent player and has been Chelsea’s best midfielder since he’s been in the first team. It’s really weird how memes from pissed off Grealish fanboys has convinced 90% of PL fans that he’s trash.

Classical Mechanic

He’s an excellent player and has been Chelsea’s best midfielder since he’s been in the first team. It’s really weird how memes from pissed off Grealish fanboys has convinced 90% of PL fans that he’s trash.
I think he's defintely a player who is underrated because so many think he's actually a terrible player when he's actually pretty good. Off the ball he's one of the best in the league. If you watch him under Tuchel so far his movement has been really intelligent and he links Chelsea from defence to attack. I think because he's usually in the part of the move before the final moment his good work goes unregistered to many. I think if he can sharpen up his end product, score more and become a bit stronger in physical battles he can be a top player.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think he's defintely a player who is underrated because so many think he's actually a terrible player when he's actually pretty good. Off the ball he's one of the best in the league. If you watch him under Tuchel so far his movement has been really intelligent and he links Chelsea from defence to attack. I think because he's usually in the part of the move before the final moment his good work goes unregistered to many. I think if he can sharpen up his end product, score more and become a bit stronger in physical battles he can be a top player.
It was his pressure that led to the poor backpass as well - right now he's second in the league in pressures and fourth in shots created. Quite a similar profile to Bruno actually, who's 3rd in pressures and 2nd in shots created - obviously Mount is nowhere near Bruno yet, but the archetype fits as relentless workers off the ball who are immensely productive in the final third.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It was his pressure that led to the poor backpass as well - right now he's second in the league in pressures and fourth in shots created. Quite a similar profile to Bruno actually, who's 3rd in pressures and 2nd in shots created - obviously Mount is nowhere near Bruno yet, but the archetype fits as relentless workers off the ball who are immensely productive in the final third.
If he can fix his shooting and develop into a player that can contribute 10+ goals per season, he will be one hell of an all-rounder. He took his goal so well yesterday with his weak foot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If he can fix his shooting and develop into a player that can contribute 10+ goals per season, he will be one hell of an all-rounder. He took his goal so well yesterday with his weak foot.
Yeah absolutely - that's the critical next step in his development that would take him from excellent player to knocking on the door of world class.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah absolutely - that's the critical next step in his development that would take him from excellent player to knocking on the door of world class.
I'm quite chuffed that Tuchel has got his hands on him. I've noticed a slightly different Mount in the last 4 games. He's more assertive. Tuchel has him patrolling areas in the pocket when we're in possession that suits him like a glove.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm quite chuffed that Tuchel has got his hands on him. I've noticed a slightly different Mount in the last 4 games. He's more assertive. Tuchel has him patrolling areas in the pocket when we're in possession that suits him like a glove.
I think he's clearly giving him more freedom than Lampard did and he's been tasked with a greater focus on finding space - with 5 men behind the ball generally, there's more spaces for Mount to try to exploit. Using him as a quasi-false 9 is a really intriguing development I think.

Tuchel has a phenomenal record of working with young players; for as much as Lampard favoured Mount working with Tuchel can only be a positive for him.