Mason Mount's Misfortune

Tiber

Owen and Mount. Guess we have given up hyping the 7 shirt

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Legacy.

Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo

Now it's seems it's for the average player. It's what we get now, Owen, Valencia, Mason bloody Mount.

He is average at best, so to see him wearing 7 suggests no one cares about the past history of that number.

Can see why some don't care, and why others are disgusted.
Anyone who is ‘disgusted’ needs to get a grip on their lives

CM

PR this. PR THAT! No good news ever exists it’s all PR I tell you! Believe NOTHING! (unless it’s bad news then we’re balls deep in that)
I'm referencing this Athletic tweet where they're hamming up the jeopardy involved in getting the deal done.

Maybe Whitwell wasn't the one who put that particular tweet out, to be fair. It's still an entirely dull sequence of events though and that tweet presents it as being something exciting that we've never seen before.

Idxomer

Giving #7 to Garnacho would've been similar to giving #11 to Januzaj, the kid has started only 5 league games with us.

OverratedOpinion

That’s exactly why I think it should be earn’t.
No one cares mate. It's a number.

If we sign a keeper and give him number 74 and he saves a penalty that wins us the FA Cup are you going to complain that he wasn't wearing the same number as Van Der Sar or Schmeichel?

Drifter

American
Not feeling it with this signing , but welcome to OT , hope he proves me wrong.

MUFC OK

It's a strange move from the club.

There is still a big no7 cult and you've just thrown him under the bus.

Not far off giving Maguire the armband after 4 months.
Might be the fact they are both a bit bland but this signing reminds of the Maguire deal more than any other.

MUFC OK

#7 also means he's sold as our marquee signing for this summer, I'd understand more if he got 10 and Rashy the 7, weird choice.
Of course he is. We’re trying to squeeze Onana and Hojlund for 40m a piece and then that’s us done.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Did Michael Owen and Sanchez earn it?

it’s a fecking number who cares
It might be a fecking number at other clubs but not for us, the number 7 to us means more than just a number, it means what the Number 10 means to Barca, it's means the most creative and electrifying player within our ranks.

Yes over the last 15yrs we've had players not fit to wear it, but that can't take away what the likes of Best, Cantona and Ronaldo(1st stint) did wearing that Number.

Imo this is a mistake that follows a long line of mistakes in regards with this number over the last decade or So, Mason Mount our Number 7, Piff give me a break,

I mean a player who isn't worth the amount of money we've just spent on him, a Player who isn't amazing at basically anything...?

I hope he proves me wrong but I strongly doubt it, best bet is in a year time he'll be demanding a shirt change Valencia style.

Garnacho for me was the obvious choice!

Idxomer

Legacy.

Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo

Now it's seems it's for the average player. It's what we get now, Owen, Valencia, Mason bloody Mount.

He is average at best, so to see him wearing 7 suggests no one cares about the past history of that number.

Can see why some don't care, and why others are disgusted.
Best wore all sorts of numbers and even Robson didn't always wear it. The legacy of #7 is a bit overstated.

saivet

Might be the fact they are both a bit bland but this signing reminds of the Maguire deal more than any other.
As players or personality? I think personality wise, Mount comes across as a great guy that will be well liked in the dressing room and by fans. I'm not a big fan of him as a player but wouldn't consider Mount as a bland personality.

Real Name

It might be a fecking number at other clubs but not for us, the number 7 to us means more than just a number, it means what the Number 10 means to Barca, it's means the most creative and electrifying player within our ranks.

Yes over the last 15yrs we've had players not fit to wear it, but that can't take away what the likes of Best, Cantona and Ronaldo(1st stint) did wearing that Number.

Imo this is a mistake that follows a long line of mistakes in regards with this number over the last decade or So, Mason Mount our Number 7, Piff give me a break,

I mean a player who isn't worth the amount of money we've just spent on him, a Player who isn't amazing at basically anything...?

I hope he proves me wrong but I strongly doubt it, best bet is in a year time he'll be demanding a shirt change Valencia style.

Quality meltdown.

Chairman Steve

I don’t care that much about shirt number OCD. It’s just a number at the end of the day.

People will lose their minds if Onana joins and he picks No.24 instead of No.1.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The shirt number is probably a good indicator of how central Mount is to ETH’s United vision.

OverratedOpinion

So just to be clear, you're happy Mount got the number 7 yeah?

tomaldinho1

You think the current incarnation of Eriksen starts over Mount? And you worry that we will be more of a "disaster waiting to happen"??

Mount is excellent defensively off the ball and Eriksen is nearly non existent. I wish you could explain to me how you worked that one out.

You lot are amazing.
Let's see. Half the caf was adamant Eriksen was going to play 10 and it was very obvious he'd play in the CM pair because he'd played the role before for a prolonged period of his career and that was were the need was. ETH signing Mount who has never, bar the odd game, played in the role you seem to think he will is bold. I mean Antony is excellent off the ball, it doesn't mean he can play CM. Eriksen actually plays CM and positionally doesn't need to be that advanced, Mount doesn't have his passing range so it's intriguing if he then is going to be paired with the most loose player positionally we have in Bruno as 8's.

saivet

I don’t care that much about shirt number OCD. It’s just a number at the end of the day.

People will lose their minds if Onana joins and he picks No.24 instead of No.1.
I don't particularly care either but rightly or wrongly, there is a degree of added pressure from the fans and media associated to wearing the no.7 shirt for United.

Malone_Post

Regardless of what you think about Mount as a player, a midfielder wearing #7 just looks wrong. Our squad numbers genuinely set off my OCD. I hated when Baily was #3 and that Lindelof is #2.

The correct numbers should be

Varane #4
Dalot/AWB #2
Shaw #3
Mount #19
Garnacho #7

Does it actually matter? No
Does it still annoy me? Absolutely :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Do they still sell the shirts where you have to pay by the letter/number? Honestly good value on that front.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If everyone is fit I think our strongest line up still includes Eriksen over Mount - he's definitely upgradeable with someone like Caceido but I struggle to see it with Mount because he's just never really played that role and I doubt you can just slot into it despite being a very intelligent player. Case on his own (any player to be honest on their own) is super high risk. If we do see him there we are going to have to dominate the ball to the a similar level as City do because that midfield three in transition (Case/Mount/Bruno) is a disaster waiting to happen if we don't.

I can see Rashford being our 9 this season and Mount starting LW. For me we'd lack a lot of pace in the attack that way given Bruno, Mount and Antony are not that fast. Only other thing I guess we aren't discussing is Antony getting dropped for Mount given there are rumours he's got this reoccurring ankle issue so we'd have Rashford - Martial - Mount as a front three.
Mount will start ahead of Eriksen. I like the latter but defenders waltz past him for fun whereas Mount is quite a complete footballer.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Our manager is a sly one. In order to get Mount and for him to choose United over Liverpool and Arsenal he baited Mount with number 7. Then it's over.

Steve 007

I honestly don’t care what number he has.
Ten Haag inherited a first choice midfield of Bruno, Fred and McT

He changed it to Bruno, Erickson and Casimero which was quite successful but always had to bring on Fred or McT when Erickson was tired or Injured or Cas was suspended. VDB just didn’t quite click so this is great business.

I saw in the cup final that Casimero was finished for the season, looked knackered. We need young legs in there to spread the load.

Real Name

Regardless of what you think about Mount as a player, a midfielder wearing #7 just looks wrong. Our squad numbers genuinely set off my OCD. I hated when Baily was #3 and that Lindelof is #2.

The correct numbers should be

Varane #4
Dalot/AWB #2
Shaw #3
Mount #19
Garnacho #7

Does it actually matter? No
Does it still annoy me? Absolutely :lol:
Varane is 19.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Personally think we should've given the number 7 to Onana. He'd be one of our most skillful players anyway.

DickDastardly

We know Ronny won't give him a ring and say good luck kiddo, but we might get Becks to do a nice cool rebranding publicity video for the new no 7.

I'd like that.

Give us some old school vibe and put some pressure on Mase to deliver.