Mason Mount's Misfortune

johannes_fd

Interesting decision to give him nr 7 off the bat. I think he will turn out to be a great signing. Good motor, good assist/goal numbers, can play multiple positions and well suited for the modern game in the midfield. Great for high pressing, is press resistant and will definately improve our first eleven. For 60m he’s a bargain honestly. Especially giving the usual english tax…!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I have a bad feeling about this signing
Why? Surely Mount is at the very least solid and reliable - both in performance and (seemingly) character.

If the wages are actually 200k I think it’s a signing that could reward Utd in the long term.

Giving him the 7 is a bit meh and dour, but I can’t see him going the way of Maguire for example. He’s got more about him than that I think.

pogbasformerbarber

The honest to goodness panic about him wearing #7 is exactly why he should get it. This has been viewed by fans, and maybe even by some players, with far too much importance for far too long of a time.

It’s of course an important number, but not one that needs to add actual significance to the wearer…I.e. you need to be Cantona/Ronaldo levels if you wear it…otherwise you’re a disappointment.

Do I sometimes feel like I’m jinxing the club with my behavior? Sure…but I fully realize in reality my actions have no bearing on outcomes. The only way the #7 becomes a burden is if there is so much added pressure to the wearer that it actually affects their play. That’s mad and stupid. Our #7 needs to be an important player, like it is on every club, but this idea that it needs to be a Ronaldo level talent otherwise it’s a curse needs to end. Maybe Mount is the perfect player to move us forward…

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Signing has warmed on me. Seems to have the right attitude, personality as well as the physical attributes to it too. Having an extra offensive energy beside Bruno, who can make darting runs into the box will be big for us.

Love the boiling piss of some seeing him get the number 7.
An easy comeback to “should have given it to Garnacho” is just putting on unnecessary pressure on an 18 year old who has hardly solidified a starting berth just yet.

Mount alone will not make this summer a successful one, but I can definitely see why he’s the mould of player Ten Hagg wants.

All aboard the Mount train. Looking forward to seeing him work with Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro and hopefully a decent striker who’ll be able to finish off his set pieces.

Hopefully we’ll see a lot of people on here with egg on their faces later in to the season.

MOUNT, MOUNT, MAAASON MOUNT, HE COST US 60MILLION POUNDS, COME OOON..

(To the tune of that god awful chant someone shared yesterday).
I totally agree with this, sums up my feelings about all of this perfectly, on every point, from warming up to the signing and looking forward to seeing how he integrates into EtH’s United setup, to enjoying the meltdown over him being given the 7 shirt.

I’d only disagree about the chant, I think he’s more accustomed to simpler chants at his former club, something along the lines of:

“MASON, MASON, MASON!
MASON, MASON, MASON!”
(To the tune of the “Chewsey” chant)

would make the lad feel at home instantly.:D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why? Surely Mount is at the very least solid and reliable - both in performance and (seemingly) character.

If the wages are actually 200k I think it’s a signing that could reward Utd in the long term.

Giving him the 7 is a bit meh and dour, but I can’t see him going the way of Maguire for example. He’s got more about him than that I think.
Yeah. Set aside his (imho) overpaid wage and transfer fee, his signing improves the overall quality of our team. His quality has been proven at high level, at the right age, homegrown, and fit EtH's player profile.

Nothing to dislike from him.

Irwin99

Welcome Mason. The 7 shirt is a bit of a shock but considering we've had the likes of Owen and Valencia wear it, i guess it shouldn't be a big deal.

RedDevil@84

First big wages, then the no.7 shirt and now he's been given Old Trafford as his residence!

This is ridiculous!
That's 4D chess from Glazers. Now he has to fix that leaking roof if he wants to live peacefully.

Edit: And the leaky toilets.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Weird Mariano #7 at Madrid vibe but i think he'll be a good signing and fit right in
Hopefully he means you can't get the required calibre of striker you need for this season :angel:

Big Andy

Bloke
The honest to goodness panic about him wearing #7 is exactly why he should get it. This has been viewed by fans, and maybe even by some players, with far too much importance for far too long of a time.

It’s of course an important number, but not one that needs to add actual significance to the wearer…I.e. you need to be Cantona/Ronaldo levels if you wear it…otherwise you’re a disappointment.

Do I sometimes feel like I’m jinxing the club with my behavior? Sure…but I fully realize in reality my actions have no bearing on outcomes. The only way the #7 becomes a burden is if there is so much added pressure to the wearer that it actually affects their play. That’s mad and stupid. Our #7 needs to be an important player, like it is on every club, but this idea that it needs to be a Ronaldo level talent otherwise it’s a curse needs to end. Maybe Mount is the perfect player to move us forward…
To be fair, if a number on the back of a shirt is "too much" for a player to handle, then they don't deserve to be a professional footballer. If they're actively thinking during a game "Shit, I'm wearing the number 7" then they should be sacked for being a cnut.

Remember the geese

Weird Mariano #7 at Madrid vibe but i think he'll be a good signing and fit right in
Hopefully he means you can't get the required calibre of striker you need for this season :angel:
We can't. There are only 2 who are any good and neither will be coming.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
We can't. There are only 2 who are any good and neither will be coming.
I'm sure something ala Casemiro will pop in the last few days. Maybe not Kane or Osimhen but definitely someone better than WW on loan

tomaldinho1

"Calls people embarassing", "Tries to mock opinion based on self deprecating name", "you're wasting everyone's time"

Then I suggest you may have forgotten to filter something on a site due to you denying something which is clearly true and I'm aggressive?

You're astounding mate. I'm now going to let you have the last word as I am unable to prove something obvious to you if your eyes won't.

Have a great day.
The frantic wriggling to avoid acceptance here is
astounding

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Just a feeling or probably traumatic..since we arent so blessed with many hits recently

Teja

This means he's going to start right? And the plan really is Casemiro - Mount - Bruno.

Tony247

No. 7!!

For christ sake :lol: Here I was hoping this deal to collapse

Member 101269

No7 is an interesting move. I just dont see him as good enough for our no 7. That said, i wish him we and welcome him to united :D

Abraxas

Not thrilled by it. I look at a potential midfield of Casemiro, Bruno and Mount as lacking calmness and authority with their passing. I don't see the consistent force within that group that keeps things ticking over reliably. You've essentially got two number ten type midfidlers that want to try and create and a holding midfielder that can be quite ambitious with passing but also inconsistent. Bit of a weird balance.

I can see it working a lot at home and against weaker sides, but there will be times our ability to control things comes under question, I think.

That said, it probably does improve us somewhat because Eriksen really lost the plot physically as the season progressed. It was nothing to do with types of players or skills at that point. He was a dead man walking and couldn't put in 90 min performances. So at least Mount resolves that. But then again, many could have resolved that so I'm clutching at straws a bit to try and understand why we were really keen on Mount of all people.