Mason Mount's Misfortune

Todd

I don't think he's the midfielder that we desperately need, and I don't think he's going to solve our midfield problems, but I'm just some guy on the internet. I'll be cheering for the lad like all the rest of them and I hope he proves me wrong.

He shouldn't have been given the 7 shirt, though. Garnacho has a good reason to feel hard done over that.

madzo2007

Surprised he was given 7, since I thought Varane would take 4 and Mount then 19

But we've had worse players wear 7. Valencia, Owen, Sanchez, Depay, Di Maria all wore it and didn't do to well

The-Mezzala

Where do you think we play him ? Potentially as an 8 with Bruno and Casemiro as 6 in a 433. Or do you think ETH might play him behind the striker and drop Bruno back. Kinda like he did a bit last season

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
7 is the highest honour in a United shirt. It’s a beautiful number. (Not all have lived up to it) but it’s special. Every so often a special player occupies it. It’s time we have a new one for the history books.
Yeah, it's just a number in the grand scheme of things regardless of the history. I'm probably in the minority, but the idea of living up to a shirt number is cringe as far as I'm concerned.

Pronewbie

Peep
I don't think he's the midfielder that we desperately need, and I don't think he's going to solve our midfield problems, but I'm just some guy on the internet. I'll be cheering for the lad like all the rest of them and I hope he proves me wrong.

He shouldn't have been given the 7 shirt, though. Garnacho has a good reason to feel hard done over that.
I actually think it'd spur someone like Garnacho on. Based on player convos the lad seems the sort who needs a regular kick up the arse to stay disciplined and motivated.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
First big wages, then the no.7 shirt and now he's been given Old Trafford as his residence!

This is ridiculous!
4d Chess from the Glazers, give him a £500,000 a week contract, let the fans blame Murtough and Fletch but also make Mount foot the cost for the leaking roof.

Todd

I actually think it'd spur someone like Garnacho on. Based on player convos the lad seems the sort who needs a regular kick up the arse to stay disciplined and motivated.
Let's hope that he's furious about it and plans on terrorizing the league to demonstrate what a foolish decision it was.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Owen
Valencia
Depay
????
Cavani
Old Ronaldo.

Fairly sure I am missing one but it's hardly a parade of success attached to this so called special king making number after Ronaldo's sale in 2009.

There have been 4 great ones and 5 shite ones. The odds aren't great.

clarkydaz

Owen
Valencia
Depay
????
Cavani
Old Ronaldo.

Fairly sure I am missing one but it's hardly a parade of success attached to this so called special king making number after Ronaldo's sale in 2009.

There have been 4 great ones and 5 shite ones. The odds aren't great.
Di Maria

ForeverRed1

Yeah, it's just a number in the grand scheme of things regardless of the history. I'm probably in the minority, but the idea of living up to a shirt number is cringe as far as I'm concerned.
My fave players have been cantona, beckham and Ronaldo so maybe that’s why I love the number so much.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He also wore 8, 9, 10 and 11. Mostly he was 7 or 11.
I think over half his games were in 11. The 7 mythos is almost entirely a Fergie-era creation.

sugar_kane

The obsession with shirt numbers is juvenile but there’s no way Ten Hag isn’t aware of Garnacho’s lust for this number and the implication of not giving it to him.

I totally agree he shouldn’t have been given it right now (again, I don’t give a shit but Garnacho does and inflating his ego more in this moment is definitely not the right thing to do) but it’s strange we didn’t leave it open to give him something to strive for.

It almost seems like a bit of a feck you which doesn’t really fit with what you’d expect from Ten Hag.

Revaulx

Sigh. Should've been Garnacho. He was twerking for it and was the perfect type of player for it too. Giving it to a central mid is weird.
You’re too young to remember Bryan Robson?

And if players are “twerking for it” that’s all the more reason not to cave in to them.

Kaos

The outrage over the number 7 shirt is hilarious.

People are forgetting the reason why Garnacho wasn't brought into the first team early on was because of attitude concerns. Maybe trust the manager on this one?

FizzyWomack

Personally I think we all need to support the lad and be happy he's been given the number 7. It's obviously a famous number for us and giving it to Mason is a good move in my opinion. It seems to be a bit of a "go on, just take this in your stride" move from the club, for me it's not a big deal in comparison if Garnacho was to be given it right now. If we gave Garnacho the number 7 I think it'd be blown way out of proportion, possibly making his ego/form falter because of it.

Mount will be a good player for us, and you can print that.

berbasloth4

A lot might have doubts over the signing but to Ten Haags credit his signings have been quite decent. I don’t think mount improves our starting 11 but he improves what we have in reserve

leeroyTX

Where do you think we play him ? Potentially as an 8 with Bruno and Casemiro as 6 in a 433. Or do you think ETH might play him behind the striker and drop Bruno back. Kinda like he did a bit last season
I can see that, where they drop Bruno deeper. I thought it was very successful. Bruno was doing very well in that spot, dropping bombs all over the field. I think it gave him some freedom that he doesn't have when he's further up.

KD6-3.7

Not really the biggest fan of the signing personally but the uproar about him being given No.7 is kind of hilarious when that jersey has essentially lost all its glory.

But now all it's done is add unnecessary pressure with the high fee because his own fans will be on him for having No.7

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's got a overall rating of 81 on FIFA23. He's not at the level we're aspiring to be... at.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I had a suspicion when he signed that our plan was to play him on the wing. Now that he took the number 7, that suspicion has grown even more.

He's a good player and will probably be a quality signing, but the marketing around this has been a bit over the top IMO, as if he's some talismanic marquee signing.