Gaming Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just started playing this on PS5 after finally giving up on the slog of AC Valhalla. Looks and runs so smoothly. :drool:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Really enjoying being back in this world after first playing these over ten years ago. About halfway through ME3 at the moment. They hold up really well even if the combat is pretty shallow by today's standards.

The story is great and I don't really think a game like this has been made since. With the decisions carrying over to different games.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I started this on Xbox years ago and think I stopped.

Got in on PlayStation know and going again, just been made a spectre in ME1.

It's alright so far, story is alright, gathering team members seems fun, not keen on pressing x to open every fecking door mind.

It's not held up too badly I don't think, yeah, the place isn't packed with people and it doesn't always feel alive (the nightclub is an example, nobody seems to be interacting, just stood about).

I'm actually listening to dialogue in this for some reason and not skipping 90% of it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

It's alright so far, story is alright, gathering team members seems fun, not keen on pressing x to open every fecking door mind.

It's not held up too badly I don't think, yeah, the place isn't packed with people and it doesn't always feel alive (the nightclub is an example, nobody seems to be interacting, just stood about).

I'm actually listening to dialogue in this for some reason and not skipping 90% of it.
The story is the best part of ME1.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Really enjoying being back in this world after first playing these over ten years ago. About halfway through ME3 at the moment. They hold up really well even if the combat is pretty shallow by today's standards.

The story is great and I don't really think a game like this has been made since. With the decisions carrying over to different games.
How does this work? I am halfway through the first game and when I finish it and start the 2 game, it will happen automatically ?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How does this work? I am halfway through the first game and when I finish it and start the 2 game, it will happen automatically ?
Assuming you're playing legendary edition and on the same platform it'll use your save file from the end of the first game to carry them over. I think you can pick a save file to use when you start. It also carries some stats and such as I recall.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Assuming you're playing legendary edition and on the same platform it'll use your save file from the end of the first game to carry them over. I think you can pick a save file to use when you start. It also carries some stats and such as I recall.
Yeah been playing the LE which was on PS+ last month. Carrying over of progress is really interesting. Cant wait to see how it plays out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah been playing the LE which was on PS+ last month. Carrying over of progress is really interesting. Cant wait to see how it plays out.
Yep it gives you the option to start ME2 with your previous Shepard. So all the ramifications from the decisions you made carry over.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Only ever played ME2 and Andromeda. Love them both.

Started ME1 for the first time last night and am totally hooked! Gameplay is a little rough round the edges due to its age but it’s got a great feel to it.

Wish I had another few days off work.

AaronRedDevil

Only ever played ME2 and Andromeda. Love them both.

Started ME1 for the first time last night and am totally hooked! Gameplay is a little rough round the edges due to its age but it’s got a great feel to it.

Wish I had another few days off work.
Lucky. Wish I could wipe my memory and play this again. One of the best trilogies ever made.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Blitzed through this and Andromeda after getting the game pass for the Xbox last year, absolutely loved the games. Thoroughly enjoyable.
I heard Andromeda wasn’t that good. Is it worth playing?

Ainu

I didn't play through the whole thing (not even close), but I would say: not at all, stay away. It's not terrible, there's just nothing interesting about it. At some point I asked myself "why the feck am I playing this" and never looked back.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not as good as the others but still has it's fun ME moments. There are far worse games out there that take far longer to complete.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I played Andromeda before the original trilogy and I did quite enjoy it. It's not as good as the original trilogy, but then again I'm a fan of big exploratory games and found it quite fun.

I might not be the best judge though, I loved AC Valhalla and Fallout (see my username) but I get the feeling they aren't terribly popular here either :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I played Andromeda before the original trilogy and I did quite enjoy it. It's not as good as the original trilogy, but then again I'm a fan of big exploratory games and found it quite fun.

I might not be the best judge though, I loved AC Valhalla and Fallout (see my username) but I get the feeling they aren't terribly popular here either :lol:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas were great! The rest, maybe not so much.

Maybe I'll give Andromeda a miss. I hear there's a 5th game in development though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Maybe I'll give Andromeda a miss. I hear there's a 5th game in development though.
Fallout 2 is awesome too, though a bit dated.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I played 4 first and loved it, but 3 and NV are fantastic. Getting kicked out the vault after saving them in 3 always irrationally annoyed me though :mad::lol:

Yeah fair enough and yes there is, already have seen Liara in the teaser trailer and she was great so excited to see what happens there.

Massive Spanner

I played Andromeda a while after launch when most of the bugs were fixed and I enjoyed it. Definitely lacks the magic of the original trilogy but it was still fun.

Siorac

Andromeda felt like a bit of a chore. It lacked imagination: you go to a different effing galaxy and yet most aliens you encounter are just humanoids in different colours. The volus or the hanar in the originals are far more interesting than any species we stumble upon in Andromeda.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Andromeda felt like a bit of a chore. It lacked imagination: you go to a different effing galaxy and yet most aliens you encounter are just humanoids in different colours. The volus or the hanar in the originals are far more interesting than any species we stumble upon in Andromeda.
Yeah, but there is a new species to feck.

Volumiza

It's still pretty good and enjoyable but not perfect at all. I never actually completed it, I ran out of puff on one particular sequence and never went back. Worth a play if on offer any time definitely.

Bebe

Bioware in its heyday had some of the best writing in all of gaming imo.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I feel like I'm nearing the end of 1, atleast over half way through, and I feel like it's just starting :lol: got the choice of 3 missions near the start and I have done 1 of them. Is it literally the 3 missions , a boss fight and some side quests?

The mission I did, did take a couple hours tbf.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel like I'm nearing the end of 1, atleast over half way through, and I feel like it's just starting :lol: got the choice of 3 missions near the start and I have done 1 of them. Is it literally the 3 missions , a boss fight and some side quests?

It's those 3 missions (all 3 are big), then one big mission and then the final last mission + boss fight.

I think just the main storyline would be around 10 hours, but all the extras/ship conversations at least double that play time

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Every time I see this thread bump it makes me want to play them all over again :lol: absolutely love this series.

Even with all the flaws of the ME3 ending, i adored the gameplay and the stories throughout it.

CloneMC16

There are a couple story missions after those you get near the start. There are quite a lot of side quests you can do. You probably spend more time completing side quests than the main story if you do all of them. There is also the Bring Down The Sky DLC. That takes a couple hours to complete.

Volumiza

About an hour into ME1 (for the first time) I was starting to question whether I could be bothered to play it. 2 hours, quietly hooked. By 6 hours, was absolutely loving it and totally remembering what made ME2 one of my all time favourites. Now I think I’m nearing the end of the story and wishing I could sit and play it all day. Sadly I’ve got to go out :(

Such a shame there aren’t more space / sci fi rpg games that have such rich lore and world building. Brilliant storytelling and one of the few games that the dialogue and relation building is so great and natural.

I have high hopes for Starfield mind you.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

They're not big games. The first especially I think you can blast through in under 20 hours.
About an hour into ME1 (for the first time) I was starting to question whether I could be bothered to play it. 2 hours, quietly hooked. By 6 hours, was absolutely loving it and totally remembering what made ME2 one of my all time favourites. Now I think I’m nearing the end of the story and wishing I could sit and play it all day. Sadly I’ve got to go out :(

Such a shame there aren’t more space / sci fi rpg games that have such rich lore and world building. Brilliant storytelling and one of the few games that the dialogue and relation building is so great and natural.

I have high hopes for Starfield mind you.
ME1 is all about the brilliant story. The combat is horrible and repetive but the story, world, lore, characters are all epic. It’s an amazing space opera. I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked up for a tv show yet with the amount of adaptations going around.

2 is a much better “game” (with a bit of a weaker story as the awkward middle child), you’ll love it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished all 3. Been great fun playing back through them. Clunky ending to 3 I forgot about and wish that one was less of an FPS but overall such a great set of games. Would love them to make new ones with the current technology we have.

Volumiza

They're not big games. The first especially I think you can blast through in under 20 hours.

ME1 is all about the brilliant story. The combat is horrible and repetive but the story, world, lore, characters are all epic. It’s an amazing space opera. I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked up for a tv show yet with the amount of adaptations going around.

2 is a much better “game” (with a bit of a weaker story as the awkward middle child), you’ll love it.
I’ve already played ME2. Really loved it and I’ve always said it’s one of my all timers although never played 3. ME legendary edition was a good December gift for me.

Volumiza

Finished all 3. Been great fun playing back through them. Clunky ending to 3 I forgot about and wish that one was less of an FPS but overall such a great set of games. Would love them to make new ones with the current technology we have.
Yeah was thinking the same. I know all these remakes and sequels are a bit of a bore but some games just deserve it.

Can you imagine a next gen citadel? Awesome.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah was thinking the same. I know all these remakes and sequels are a bit of a bore but some games just deserve it.

Can you imagine a next gen citadel? Awesome.
I was thinking a brand new game but another trilogy where the decisions carry over. Would be pretty cool.

Volumiza

I was thinking a brand new game but another trilogy where the decisions carry over. Would be pretty cool.
Yeah, more of this universe / world would be brill. It’s all there, just build more on the existing history, a bit like Elder Scrolls / Star Wars.

Like I said, it’s strange and a shame that there aren’t more games like this. Space is such a natural environment for this type of game and the different races are just cool. Most space games are just shooters.