Matej Kovar image 40

Matej Kovar Czech Republic flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Buyback clause and right of first refusal. Can someone explain the difference between the two and why we would want both?
Buyback clause is a set figure triggered in certain circumstances, right of first refusal is we get first chocie to match any bid they accept and negotaite with the player. I know it is more complicated but the buyback might be fixed at 25M should we choose to initiate a move but the right of first refusal kicks in if they accept a bid from elsewhere for less than the clause, say 17M protecting our right to have first crack at negotiating with the player even if the price is below our buyback clause.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Buyback clause is a set figure triggered in certain circumstances, right of first refusal is we get first chocie to match any bid they accept and negotaite with the player. I know it is more complicated but the buyback might be fixed at 25M should we choose to initiate a move but the right of first refusal kicks in if they accept a bid from elsewhere for less than the clause, say 17M protecting our right to have first crack at negotiating with the player even if the price is below our buyback clause.
Yeah but logically it doesn't make sense. If the player performs so good that we are thinking of signing him then they won't sell him for lower than our low buy back clause.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sweet. All bases covered so. Seems like a good move for everyone then. Plus, as I said, earlier, helps our relationship with Leverkusen if we’re keen on signing one of their players.

Gandalf

Yeah but logically it doesn't make sense. If the player performs so good that we are thinking of signing him then they won't sell him for lower than our low buy back clause.
Well the reality is that buyback clauses are almost never used. I don't really expect us to bring Matej back unless he becomes a world beater and Onana flops. They are too close in age to co-exist and so if Onana succeeds we would be looking for someone younger than Matej as his eventual successor. It has not been mentioned but I would have been far more interested in a sell on clause than a buy back clause as we are more likely to benefit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.