Matej Kovar image 40

Matej Kovar Czech Republic flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

Wonder where he will be next season, can't see another Czech loan as good progress, don't want him to stay as #2 and get no game time, I think PL may be a step too far at the moment, perhaps a top Championship team?
I'd say whoever the best team around that can make him #1 and plays the ball out from the back.

Winrar

I think he should be sold with a buy back option. Looks tidy with the ball at his feet, but I can’t see him getting too many chances unless he wants to be 2nd choice.

Ace of Spades

It would be a shame we can't bring a goalie through the ranks for a change. Not since Stepney?
Bringing any player through is difficult, but GK even more so. There was a small chance before Onana, but with him here there is no point to keep him.

Let him go to a good club, can become a really good keeper. Doubt his ambition is to sit on the bench as no.2 for us.

dutchred

It would be a shame we can't bring a goalie through the ranks for a change. Not since Stepney?
Stepney was bought from Chelsea. The Doc bought him to Chelsea from Milwall but he already had Peter Bonetti as first choice so he solh him to United

FerociousCorgis

hope if we sell there is a buy back clause or something. Would be better just to loan to make sure onana doesnt implode or something or if kovar explodes. Makes sense though that he doesnt fit the profile for united after bringing in onana. Wouldve been way too big a call to just go with kovar though

Blood Mage

We shouldn't sell him, he looks like a very promising keeper. And why would he swap Villa's bench for United's?

Fitchett

He's a brilliant keeper. We can't sell him, just loan him out to gain more first team experience.

edcunited1878

That is from the Express....but if we are to base some of the outgoings for our youth players, a sell on and right of first refusal may be in order

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It should be more than 50%, which Villa definitely will not go with. He just won Sparta the league and was GK of the season. Surely that should get us more than that Trafford kid.
Plus considering how much City sold their academy goalie to Burnley.... we have a league title player going for half?

We did get burnt on Zaha with that sell-on clause.

jeepers

That is from the Express....but if we are to base some of the outgoings for our youth players, a sell on and right of first refusal may be in order
First refusal might not great because if he does well, he would potentially go for top dollar and unless he becomes better than Onana, we will not spend big money on him. A low buyback, on the other hand, would make sense if our asking is really £6m, where if he does well, we can buy him back and sell him on.

Plus considering how much City sold their academy goalie to Burnley.... we have a league title player going for half?

We did get burnt on Zaha with that sell-on clause.
Yeah I mentioned Trafford in my previous post.

Zaha’s sell-on was reported to be 40% if I recall correctly? We really did get burnt on that. Could have been a nice sum.

Borussia Teeth

This looks like a poor deal.

In the Maguire/McTominay/Fred threads I'm practically insisting to other posters that we need to lower our values due to wages, player performance and spending power (or lack of) of interested clubs.

This however, does not make sense. Villa are a big club with very wealthy owners. They won't accept a sizable sell on clause or a low buy back. We should be getting £15m minimum or we should loan him out again to improve his value further.

With Onana being relatively young for a keeper, I don't think Kovar has a future here. But he is of the few academy players that we can genuinely raise a decent price for.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Zaha’s sell-on was reported to be 40% if I recall correctly? We really did get burnt on that. Could have been a nice sum.
That's the problem with big sell on clauses, the club selling see the 100m offer for their player as a 60m offer so they'll reject it, wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

It ruined Zaha's chances of a big move to Arsenal, ruined our chance at a decent fee (having sold him for a pittance) and ruined Palace's chance at getting any fee.

If clubs weren't so greedy it would make sense, but what we should do is insert a buyback clause (like City with Lavia) that can be activated after two years, increasing in value each subsequent year, as well as a match bid clause - of course this is only workable if we sell our players stupidly cheap.

Unsure how City manage to get top dollar and generous clauses in their unknown talent?

Remember the geese

I think he's a potential £30-40m keeper. I regard him higher than Henderson. We won't get that type of fee this summer obviously, but we'd be fools not to loan him out to a Premier League club for a year or two in order for him to showcase his potential and maximise his value. If he is sold for a paltry £6m, I'd want a hefty sell on clause and a buy back option.

GoldanoGraham

Is he still with us? Any possibility of him being the No2 this season? Looked great in first couple of preseason games.

ThanksBoss26

Is he still with us? Any possibility of him being the No2 this season? Looked great in first couple of preseason games.
He is, been linked with both loan and permanent moves but still here.

Heaton is staying though and will be ahead of him. Almost certain Kovar will head off, I reckon on loan.

Idxomer

There should be a considerable sell-on clause, he's worth more than that.

Varun1

What the hell... very disappointed that it's a permanent move, and for €9m only!

Bwuk

Good move all round. I think he’ll do really well at Leverkusen but he was never gonna get minutes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.