Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I fully expect Mata to leave, especially so late into the transfer window. We all know the transfer madness that goes down in the last days of the window and Mata leaving is not impossible by any means. There are transfers seem impossible to materialize only to happen in the last day or last few days of the window. It's quite strange but happens all the time.

Earlier in the summer there were reports stating that Mourinho does not like Mata for some reason. Most of the fans laughed at these reports but they certainly do not look ridiculous now, do they? I saw the news about Willian's signing on the skysports transfer clockwatch earlier today and there was also a bit about Mata ''reportedly'' not being first choice if (when) Chelsea get Willian.

It's madness though. Mata is Chelsea's best player and getting rid of him would be hilarious. It would certainly weaken them as a team and would reduce the quality of their starting eleven because Mata is better than all of their attacking midfielders.

Mata really had wonderful games agains us the last couple of seasons and I'd be much more confident of us lining up against a Mata-less Chelsea team. Willian could easily flop in the Prem, won't be the first Brazillian to do it. We have a few examples of that ourselves.

Mister Ed

Swapping Mata for Rooney won't happen, when will people realize swap transfers never happen in real life? This is not football manager.

To entertain the idea, I'm not sure if I'd agree to a straight swap between the two. Mata is class but Rooney is better, that said, I hold grudges against Rooney so I don't know.
Uhm Ibrahimovic went to Barca for Eto'o and like €46 million cash.... Swap deal right there !

Granted they aren't very common, usually teams just do their business with several teams for different players. But in rare circumstances it can happen. When both teams have a player they both want from eachother, and those players play in a similar position, a swap is always possible. If you are looking to sell a player, you need to find a replacement, if the ideal replacement is at the club you are selling your player to, and that club would be willing to part with that player, all conditions are in place for a Swap (ofc the players need to want to go aswell etc...).

-We currently don't really have a need for Rooney as a striker and would benefit more from having someone like Mata as an AM.

-Chelsea don't really need Mata as an AM (now that they signed Willian), but they do need a quality striker (and Rooney is a wet dream for Mourinho).

Rooney wants to go to Chelsea, if Chelsea would want to let go of Mata and Mata wouldn't oppose a move to us, i couldn't see why a swap would be an unrealistic thing that could never happen.

It has happend in similar situations. Barcelona wanted Ibrahimovic as he represented a striker with more power, yet technicaly very strong. Inter was interested in Eto'o and saw in him an ideal replacement. Ibra was considered the beter player at that time, and he was pivotal for Inter, but the extra cash made it attractive and so it happend.

If Chelsea are serious about Rooney and they really want him as their striker, a swap is the most logical thing that could happen. Ofcourse Rooney is the beter player from two (proved alot more, and mourinho knows this, altho some Chelsea clearly don't) so a swap would include they adding cash to it so it becomes attractive for us.

I have always said i currently rate Rooney at £35m to £40 m, but this for a foreign club, if we would let him go to a rival it would have to be more in the region of £45m to £50m. I think if i would have to put a price on Mata, i'd say he worth something between £30m to £35m. So Mata plus £10m would be a fair deal. It would benefit both clubs, solves alot of problems at once. We get rid of the Rooney situation, we get a creative attacking midfielder, Chelsea get one of the best strikers in the game and they don't have to many players for the attacking midfield anymore. In terms of money it cost Chelsea £30m for Willian and £10m as extra cash in the swap. I think for that kind of money Mourinho would always have signed to get Rooney in his hands.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
it was Cash + Keith Gillespie for Andy Cole

that being said it is a lot more common on the continent for it to happen

Feed Me

I'm hungry
it was Cash + Keith Gillespie for Andy Cole

that being said it is a lot more common on the continent for it to happen

But that's more of a makeweight than a swap.

The media often float the notion of a straight swap - such as Rooney for Mata - but these are far less common.

Jacob

But that's more of a makeweight than a swap.

The media often float the notion of a straight swap - such as Rooney for Mata - but these are far less common.
This is my point.

Mister Ed

He may be off on a loan to Atletico Madrid.....WTF ?!?! :houllier:

http://www.le10sport.com/football/m...-forcing-de-latletico-madrid-pour-mata-115476

They say Spanish media is reporting it....

I really wouldn't understand this. What a down step for Mata, he was their best player last year, and now he has to feck off on a loan deal to Atletico. Jose can go feck himself if this is true. If you don't want him anymore, he would be more than welcome here with us, and if you add some money to it, you can have Rooney too ! :mad:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Loan to Atletico? Surely there's someone out there that will be interested in signing him? Fantastic player, I don't understand why Mourinho doesn't want him but they can have Rooney if they give us Mata plus cash.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Uhm Ibrahimovic went to Barca for Eto'o and like €46 million cash.... Swap deal right there !

Granted they aren't very common, usually teams just do their business with several teams for different players. But in rare circumstances it can happen. When both teams have a player they both want from eachother, and those players play in a similar position, a swap is always possible. If you are looking to sell a player, you need to find a replacement, if the ideal replacement is at the club you are selling your player to, and that club would be willing to part with that player, all conditions are in place for a Swap (ofc the players need to want to go aswell etc...).

-We currently don't really have a need for Rooney as a striker and would benefit more from having someone like Mata as an AM.

-Chelsea don't really need Mata as an AM (now that they signed Willian), but they do need a quality striker (and Rooney is a wet dream for Mourinho).

Rooney wants to go to Chelsea, if Chelsea would want to let go of Mata and Mata wouldn't oppose a move to us, i couldn't see why a swap would be an unrealistic thing that could never happen.

It has happend in similar situations. Barcelona wanted Ibrahimovic as he represented a striker with more power, yet technicaly very strong. Inter was interested in Eto'o and saw in him an ideal replacement. Ibra was considered the beter player at that time, and he was pivotal for Inter, but the extra cash made it attractive and so it happend.

I'm not so sure about that. Eto'o had several great season for Barca and known to be a big game player regularly performing in the CL.

coolredwine

lameredboots
If the rumours surrounding Mata are true, then Real are better off getting him than overpaying massively for Bale. He is a superior player to Bale, imo.

Ainu

Mourinho is batshit crazy if he wants to get rid of Mata. He's been their standout player for 2 years now. I just don't understand this rumour. Mourinho is a bit special but you can't say he's an unintelligent manager. Why would you want to get rid of your best player who hasn't given any indication that he'd want to leave the club? Madness.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I refuse to believe this is true.

Someone will be getting an excellent bargain otherwise.
Someone will be getting one of the world's best players on loan. It's the most insane thing I've ever heard.

ricky-romeo

spurs are making a move for mata. they might lose bale but if end up with mata, in addition with soldado, lamela and a few others they could be a force to reckon with.

we should bid for mata now. use that 30 million that we were suppose to pay for fabregas.

Cina

If Tottenham get Mata they'll have strengthened from Bale. :lol:
Mata won't be able to do for Spurs what Bale did last season so they really wouldn't. I guess overall they would have given the players they've brought in this window though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mata won't be able to do for Spurs what Bale did last season so they really wouldn't. I guess overall they would have given the players they've brought in this window though.
Mata in this current Spurs team would be better then Bale in the current Spurs team. Last season it wasn't the case because Spurs needed someone to score more than anything, but now they have an actual striker so it isn't the case anymore. Also Mata>Bale IMO.

golden_blunder

Staff
Mata in this current Spurs team would be better then Bale in the current Spurs team. Last season it wasn't the case because Spurs needed someone to score more than anything, but now they have an actual striker so it isn't the case anymore. Also Mata>Bale IMO.
i know its early days yet but to me it looks like they still need a striker. Their last 2 wins have come courtesy of dubious penalties

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The most insane scenario from our point of view now would be if we sold Rooney to Chelsea for £40m and they sold Mata somewhere else for less than that price because we wouldn't take him. It'd be pretty typical of us though.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The most insane scenario from our point of view now would be if we sold Rooney to Chelsea for £40m and they sold Mata somewhere else for less than that price because we wouldn't take him. It'd be pretty typical of us though.

When have we done something like that before? and if we did then how is it pretty typical?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He only scored 18 goals and got 34 assists. Certainly deserves a loan out for that shocking season.
It would be like if we decided to loan RvP to Napoli or something.

It probably won't happen, but the mere fact it can be (to a certain extent) reasonably discussed just shows how bonkers this transfer window has been.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
i know its early days yet but to me it looks like they still need a striker. Their last 2 wins have come courtesy of dubious penalties
Soldado's a class striker IMO, they just lack creativity and aren't really making chances. They weren't a very creative team last season either, they just had Bale score plenty of screamers from range to bail them out.

Sarni

When have we done something like that before? and if we did then how is it pretty typical?
Us refusing to get obvious targets like Mata before other team comes in and signs them? It happens pretty often to be fair.

golden_blunder

Staff
Soldado's a class striker IMO, they just lack creativity and aren't really making chances. They weren't a very creative team last season either, they just had Bale score plenty of screamers from range to bail them out.
fair point, particularly with the 2 central midfielders being more ball winners than creative

walsh

Us refusing to get obvious targets like Mata before other team comes in and signs them? It happens pretty often to be fair.
Mata was not and still isn't an obvious fit for our team, though. Oh, sorry, I forgot people get annoyed whenever another team signs a good player.

Sarni

I'd say it's pretty obvious that Spurs with Lamela and Mata would be stronger.

Sarni

Mata was not and still isn't an obvious fit for our team, though. Oh, sorry, I forgot people get annoyed whenever another team signs a good player.
He is though. He's one of the best players in the league, he's more creative than anyone we have and we need a creative player in midfield and he's also better on the wing than anyone we have. He's an obvious target and would instantly become our second best player. He won't play in a midfield two but as an offensive midfielder behind a forward or cutting in from the flank he's as good as it gets. An offensive midfield three with Mata, in-form Kagawa and one of Nani/Valencia would be insanely good.

walsh

He is though. He's one of the best players in the league, he's more creative than anyone we have and we need a creative player in midfield and he's also better on the wing than anyone we have. He's an obvious target and would instantly become our second best player. He won't play in a midfield two but as an offensive midfielder behind a forward or cutting in from the flank he's as good as it gets. An offensive midfield three with Mata, in-form Kagawa and one of Nani/Valencia would be insanely good.
Yeah but you're changing the setup of the team. Kagawa might not currently be quite at the same level as Mata but he's certainly one of our most talented players and he couldn't break into the team because we don't traditionally play with a playmaker at #10. Mata hasn't really played on the wing since his Valencia days unless I'm mistaken, he's become almost exclusively someone who plays through the middle. He would be a complete luxury signing for us and obviously he was deemed unnecessary when he joined Chelsea as well. We've got areas we actually need to strengthen to focus on (hopefully).

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

We need to sign every good player that becomes available, because we are the only option for these clubs that will result in success!

Cina

A straight swap of Mata for Rooney would make both teams stronger and therefore City would be the ones negatively impacted, makes all sort of sense to me ;)

Sarni

A straight swap of Mata for Rooney would make both teams stronger and therefore City would be the ones negatively impacted, makes all sort of sense to me ;)
IMO having Rooney would improve Chelsea more than having Mata would improve us but Chelsea are going to get more out of Mata than we'll get out of Rooney if both stay. I'd love it if we swapped Rooney for Mata, we'd have a player that might actually want to play for us and a damn good one.

Ash_G

IMO having Rooney would improve Chelsea more than having Mata would improve us but Chelsea are going to get more out of Mata than we'll get out of Rooney if both stay. I'd love it if we swapped Rooney for Mata, we'd have a player that might actually want to play for us and a damn good one.
Thing is I'm not so sure mata wouldn't improve us just as much as Rooney them. I think we'd all put RVP as a better striker than Rooney and so we'd still have the lead there and i fancy Hernandez as a second choice striker more than the ones they have. So then when you look at the improvement in our attack, mata someone who brings a huge amount of creativity and arguably a skill that we lack, someone who can carry the ball well but will also find those tricky passes. Kagawa hasn't really shown himself to be someone who will carry the ball like that, an nani doesn't really have those passes in his locker. I can see a mata kagawa and nani/Valencia front 3 behibd RVP being great and at least as good as there's.

I mean we'd be taking their best player from last season and giving then someone capable of being a top class player over a season but soneone who is also prone to dips on form and not quite as good a lead striker as RVP, in return we get an attacker currently playing better than any we have. As you said we'd also be swapping someone who's heart isn't in it for someone who's got no reason to be down providing he wants to come.

Midfield is still even and I'd take our defensive options over there's. I'd be open to the swap if it were proposed, if we got some cash out of it personally would say its a great deal. Mata is only going to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.