Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I can honestly see a swap deal with Rooney on the cards. Hope I'm wrong. Saying that most on here would have jumped at the chance in the summer. Blind.

I would love us to sign Mata but not at the expense of Rooney.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Can't see a swap deal, because they don't happen, but Rooney is first name on the team sheet and Mata is a bit part player this season. Mata's value is half that of Rooney's.
You can't be serious.

Rooney is three years older, on huge wages, wants out and will have one year left on his contract in the summer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can't see a swap deal, because they don't happen, but Rooney is first name on the team sheet and Mata is a bit part player this season. Mata's value is half that of Rooney's.
How much did you pay for RVP again? Oh that's right, a pittance for the best player in the league because his contract was running out.

Rooney could sign a pre contract agreement this season to join us for free.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He said no such thing, never mentioned Mata. You let your imagination running wild.
I'm joining the dots and of course it might be wrong but it seems bloody obvious.

1. Rumours as Mourinho first joins up that Mata doesn't feature in his plans.

2. Rumours that he is up for sale.

3. A leak presumed from United that they bid cash plus player for Rooney and it's revealed Mata is that player but it's quickly denied by Chelsea and some sources put it down to United fighting fire with fire - you unsettle our player, we'll unsettle yours.

4. Season starts and Mata struggles for playing time with Mourinho stating he must work harder on the pitch, same rumours resurface that Mata doesn't fit the system due to his lack of pace.

5. Mourinho come out and admits that they were not able to sign Rooney with either a cash bid or a swap.

It all fits in rather well IMO.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
How much would people say is a fair price for him?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mata wants to stay, Rooney has tried more than once to get the feck out of dodge.
But Rooney is more valuable to us than mata is to you, clearly. Mata is barely deemed necessary at Chelsea now.

Summit

Mata? Round 40 million going by today's market. Given how Chelsea rate him, round 25-30 million.
I would say 40m no problem after last season. In fact, when all the rumours were floating around that Rooney wanted to leave I would have been happy with a straight swap at the time. 25m now IMO is fair like you say.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But Rooney is more valuable to us than mata is to you, clearly. Mata is barely deemed necessary at Chelsea now.
It's almost exactly the same as the RVP situation, they desperately wanted him to stay but in the end would not allow him to leave for nothing so cashed in while the could, despite the sum being a lot less than the player would be worth if his contract was not about to expire.

SATA

How much did you pay for RVP again? Oh that's right, a pittance for the best player in the league because his contract was running out.

You can't do that between domestic clubs, no?

Summit

A player that is not in the first 11 at a team like Chelsea and sells to a team like United - an honest price would be somewhere around £20-25m.
I agree. But as we know he is capable of being worth upto 40m plus, should we not give a feck about whether he is in the team or not?

Summit

Yep. If Rooney hasn't signed with us soon, then our hand will be forced.

togg

It's almost exactly the same as the RVP situation, they desperately wanted him to stay but in the end would not allow him to leave for nothing so cashed in while the could, despite the sum being a lot less than the player would be worth if his contract was not about to expire.
I think some of the comments concerning Rooney by Moyes recently kind of hint that he believes there is a chance he will be off in the summer.

MDFC Manager

I think some of the comments concerning Rooney by Moyes recently kind of hint that he believes there is a chance he will be off in the summer.
And that kinda explains the Cavani rumors I guess.

Sir A1ex

This season? How's that?

Matey boy at Dortmund just signed one to join Bayern. I don't think England can have different rules.
You'd think so, but the Germans seem to do it a lot more than other countries. They are also weirdly up-front about transfers, with players continuing to play for one club after openly signing for another. Not sure I like that part.

Woodzy

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
It all fits in rather well IMO.

Well, in you mind it does, but it's because you want it to be the truth. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but it proves nothing. Chelsea confirmed that it was cash only bid for Rooney, and the swap remark from Mourinho may refer to that leak from United camp, rather than what CFC had to offer. I simply cannot imagine Chelsea offering their last two seasons' best player in a swap deal to a direct title rival and the league champions, not to mention Mata being happy at the club, younger, fitter and getting a fraction of what Rooney gets, with a contract that runs till 2018. Those swap deals happen very rarely, anyway, especially with such high profile players involved.

Bestie07

Did I say this season? I meant next (January 2015 right?).
I'm quite certain that players transferring domestically within England can't sign a new deal with their new club unless the previous deal has expired. Rooney can start negotiating with foreign clubs in January next year if he doesn't sign a new deal with us before then.

dan_alex

Did I say this season? I meant next (January 2015 right?).

Next summer, Rooney will be nearly 30, and I don't see him maturing particularly well into his thirties to be honest. I wouldn't get too excited about it.

I'm also fairly confident he will stay in Manchester at any rate.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Well, in you mind it does, but it's because you want it to be the truth. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but it proves nothing. Chelsea confirmed that it was cash only bid for Rooney, and the swap remark from Mourinho may refer to that leak from United camp, rather than what CFC had to offer. I simply cannot imagine Chelsea offering their last two seasons' best player in a swap deal to a direct title rival and the league champions, not to mention Mata being happy at the club, younger, fitter and getting a fraction of what Rooney gets, with a contract that runs till 2018. Those swap deals happen very rarely, anyway, especially with such high profile players involved.
The player you describe there is obviously not the one Mourinho feels he has though. After averaging 60 games over the previous two seasons, he hasn't even made 20 appearances in all competitions this year as we're past the half way stage.

If he was indeed as important to Mourinho as you state why is he not getting the game time and continually being linked with a move away.

It's not "what I want to believe" either. I don't see him ever playing here and Whike he's a great player I don't see him able to replace Rooney in the number 10 role for us nor do I think he's the sort of player we could bring the best of out wide.

togg

Next summer, Rooney will be nearly 30, and I don't see him maturing particularly well into his thirties to be honest. I wouldn't get too excited about it.

I'm also fairly confident he will stay in Manchester at any rate.
Yeah..fergie said as much that Rooney will not have longevity in his career at the top level mainly because of his build. Of course, he could move completely to midfield and extend his influence there for a bit.

United have obviously had all but probabaly one (maybe next season) of his best years

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The player you describe there is obviously not the one Mourinho feels he has though. After averaging 60 games over the previous two seasons, he hasn't even made 20 appearances in all competitions this year as we're past the half way stage.

If he was indeed as important to Mourinho as you state why is he not getting the game time and continually being linked with a move away.

It's not "what I want to believe" either. I don't see him ever playing here and Whike he's a great player I don't see him able to replace Rooney in the number 10 role for us nor do I think he's the sort of player we could bring the best of out wide.

I never said he was important to Mourinho. What I said was, he was valuable to the club, and they wouldn't entertain the idea of selling their best player in the summer to the direct rival, especially since he never wanted to leave in the first place.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I never said he was important to Mourinho. What I said was, he was valuable to the club, and they wouldn't entertain the idea of selling their best player in the summer to the direct rival, especially since he never wanted to leave in the first place.
They were desperate to sign Rooney and I think they'd have felt prising him away from us would have been a real statement. Considering how desperate you were for a striker of his ilk and how many Mata alternatives you had (turning out he wasn't even first choice), I really don't see how it is far fetched.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I have some monopoly money to buy this fella, if that is any use?

Varun

Staff
Pity we didn't do that with Fabregas, instead of wasting all summer on him.

We almost certainly did. You think all that bidding and the public comments was without talking with fabregas's team?

Varun

Staff
Went really well then, didn't it?

Hardly surprising when we value him at 35mil. Our bids really blew my mind, its almost as if we want to live in a cave and totally ignore how the market is.

Status
Not open for further replies.