Match Compilations

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

First of all the footage quality isn't great but bear through with it.

I guess it's easy to see why he's labelled as Cabeza Magica (Magic Head). He scores a bullet header and the opposition just couldn't handle him aerially at all.

Pele said:
Someone that headed better than me was Spencer. I was good, but he was spectacular heading the ball. In general, he would do it with a burst, but without actually sprinting
He might be one of the greatest headers of the ball ever and a brilliant goalscorer (record goalscorer in Copa Libertadores and a single goal behind Pele in the Intercontinental Cup) but Spencer's game was much more than that.

He was a complete forward with his searing pace, making him a constant threat on the break, great link up play and dribbling skills and most of all, he was a really dynamic and intelligent forward always capable of finding pockets of space. In this game alone, he gets fouled by the keeper twice outside the box, with River's defenders being unable to cope with his pace and movement on the break.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Really shows off his one touch link up play in this one but also his versatility and intelligence as he frequently dropped off yo the flanks, interchanged positions with Joya on the left and scored an amazing solo goal, winning the ball inside his own half and dribbling past a player before dinking it over the keeper.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@antohan Been meaning to ask but what's up with the aggregate system in the finals? I noticed that Penarol won 2-0 in the 1st leg and then lost 3-2 in the second but it still went to playoffs?

The defeat in the playoff v. Peñarol (by 4–2 after River won 2–0 at the end of the first half) was a quite a shock for River Plate. The team returned to Argentina to play the domestic league match v. Banfield. During the match, Banfield supporters threw a chicken (with its body painted a red sash) into the field to make fun of River Plate players.

Since that time, and up to present days, the nickname gallinas has remained to refer to River Plate when the team loses a match that could have won
:lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@antohan Been meaning to ask but what's up with the aggregate system in the finals? I noticed that Penarol won 2-0 in the 1st leg and then lost 3-2 in the second but it still went to playoffs?

Aggregates and away goals didn't matter, else we would have won in 1962 (lost 2-1H and won 3-2A vs Santos) and 1965 (lost 1-0A and won 3-1H vs Independiente).

It was a rather shite setup as whoever won the first game spent the second kicking lumps into the other team (reds were a rarity). We managed a win both times, but the Independiente game in particular was absolute carnage and half the team played through injuries in the final third game.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Aggregates and away goals didn't matter, else we would have won in 1962 (lost 2-1H and won 3-2A vs Santos) and 1965 (lost 1-0A and won 3-1H vs Independiente).

It was a rather shite setup as whoever won the first game spent the second kicking lumps into the other team (reds were a rarity). We managed a win both times, but the Independiente game in particular was absolute carnage and half the team played through injuries in the final third game.
That's interesting. Couldn't have thought of fixtures in which the home advantage played a bigger role or red cards being more pertinent. Spencer was fouled by the goalie twice outside the box in the playoffs and was pulled down cynically right outside the box when he was through on goal in the first leg.

All three occasions were brushed off as though nothing out of the norm had happened :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

If he had a magnet in his boot during the game against United, I'd like to know what the feck did he have in his boots this time round :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I remember watching Redondo at Argentinos back in 1987 or 88.

He was an 18yo kid then and I had a bit of a goofy laugh prematch at a player called Redondo (round) with a very round face, small round eyes, and therefore destined to pig out and end up being a very round baller.

Then the game started and he was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

The third time in his career that Müller scores 4 for West Germany (he'd go on to repeat that one more time) in this friendly against Soviet Union - in many ways the dress rehearsal to the 1972 Euros final featuring both sides.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

If he had a magnet in his boot during the game against United, I'd like to know what the feck did he have in his boots this time round :lol:
Majestic. There’s a lot of great hair in that Tenerife midfield so kudos for picking him out.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Majestic. There’s a lot of great hair in that Tenerife midfield so kudos for picking him out.
Yup, Del Solar (#4) had long hair, was left footed and was playing alongside Redondo so that was a real pain in the ass and the (#7) too but Redondo's lanky legs was the key to differentiating all of them, when it got confusing :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

An interesting game with Keane filling in as a makeshift right back, despite not being fully match fit. Has one or two shaky moments at the start but settles in and really grows into the match, capping off an excellent display with a great assist for Mark Hughes.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

:lol: @ Müller scoring twice in rapid succession before Beckenbauer can get a touch. And Müller does it twice...

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Had been looking for this game for ages!

Robson inspiring yet another stunning comeback from out of nowhere. United might just have been one goal down but we barely threatened in the first half and then Robson pops up with that iconic goal...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

He's just ridiculous. Was rather unlucky for the own goal but otherwise a brilliant display as usual. Would go on to win MOTM in the final against Kendall's Everton.

Next up - Bryan Robson vs Graeme Souness :drool:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Probably the only full game of Robson and Souness playing together.

A great game to see Robson's goalscoring potential and his impeccably timed runs into the box.

Souness and Liverpool's midfield struggled to cope up with Robson and he should have had more than two goals that he ended up scoring.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Probably the only full game of Robson and Souness playing together.

A great game to see Robson's goalscoring potential and his impeccably timed runs into the box.

Souness and Liverpool's midfield struggled to cope up with Robson and he should have had more than two goals that he ended up scoring.
:drool:

edit: this goes for all of those recent Robson/McGrath videos.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Even on a bad day he produces a MOTM winning performance, passing was even more hit and miss then usual and his runs didnt really came through that day(think he was coming back from some injury) but a proper warrior mode in the middle of the park as usual. Absolute joy to watch.
Lineker and Hansen were also impressive. Beardsley, Rush and Barnes not so much.

harms

Staff
Shades of Redondo here, even though Sousa wasn't quite as magical on the ball as him. Starts as Juventus' deepest midfielder, although he constantly participates in aggressive pressing. Some nice direct passing and it seems like it's almost impossible to get the ball of him without a foul. For the last 15 minutes or so Lippi had moved him behind the strikers to exploit Zeman's overzealous tactics, which had worked quite well. The game should've ended 4:2, but 20 seconds without Sousa on the pitch was enough for Lazio to score their third. Insane game!

He was so unlucky – his top level career was pretty much finished at 25 because of his knees, even though he had somehow managed to win another CL with Dortmund.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

I know it's a friendly but it's yet another ridiculous performance. You could even see the Milan players getting frustrated after a while - they were up there as one of the best club sides at that time and they were getting schooled by some Tenerife midfielder.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A great game from Haßler from the right wing. Plenty of craft & graft as he mans that right flank and provides the assist for the 2nd goal.

Interestingly enough Littbarski used to play as the #10 and Haßler on the right from the few games of Köln that I've watched .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I know it's a friendly but it's yet another ridiculous performance. You could even see the Milan players getting frustrated after a while - they were up there as one of the best club sides at that time and they were getting schooled by some Tenerife midfielder.
:drool:

That was a hairy week going cold turkey without any Joga videos.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
On Redondo, one of the reasons why I don't rate him that highly is because of his relatively short peak and his lack of International credentials. Watching a few games of Tenerife isn't enough to conclusively change that view but it's quite clear he was already a brilliant player from those games.

He wasn't just the best midfielder on the pitch but the best player hands down and that too against the likes of Real and Barca etc and during some pretty big games too (like the title decider for Real for instance or the European tie against Baggio's Juve).

Does anyone have any insights into his consistency (over the season ratings or him making the team of the season etc) during his spell at Tenerife?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Keane scores a brace in a tightly fought 2-1 victory, to end Arsenal's 31 game unbeaten run (including a 11 game winning streak) at Highbury.

Keane consistently had the upper hand over Vieira on this encounter and the Frenchman had a rather muted performance whilst Keane was inspirational as always.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Someone who probably deserves more recognition. A great goalscorer but a tidy all round forward too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just brilliant as usual. The Overath-Beckenbauer midfield pairing was just :drool: .

harms

Staff
Not the best game to open my Chislenko series, but this is the first one that isn't blocked by FIFA :)
His performance that night reminded me of Cruyff's description of van Hanegem: "When Van Hanegem has a bad game, he rolls up his sleeves and starts tackling". The amount of pressing and defensive game that Chislenko does in every game is insane for an attacking player, especially of his era.

And then, of course, there's this bit of pure magic from him, one of my favourite plays of the 60's:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A decent performance by Francescoli. It has to be one of the most frustrating experiences in football, trying to watch that Uruguayan side. If only he'd been born 2 decades earlier or later...

Šjor Bepo

A decent performance by Francescoli. It has to be one of the most frustrating experiences in football, trying to watch that Uruguayan side. If only he'd been born 2 decades earlier or later...
for the second i thought you made a vid for Claudio Lopez :lol: thought "ohh what a nice guy that joga character...."

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Not the best game to open my Chislenko series, but this is the first one that isn't blocked by FIFA :)
His performance that night reminded me of Cruyff's description of van Hanegem: "When Van Hanegem has a bad game, he rolls up his sleeves and starts tackling". The amount of pressing and defensive game that Chislenko does in every game is insane for an attacking player, especially of his era.

And then, of course, there's this bit of pure magic from him, one of my favourite plays of the 60's:
Suarez stole the show but both Voronin and Chilslenko were really impressive (Yashin too iirc). Didn't realize he was quite comfortable cutting on to his left foot too.

for the second i thought you made a vid for Claudio Lopez :lol: thought "ohh what a nice guy that joga character...."

harms

Staff
Suarez stole the show but both Voronin and Chilslenko were really impressive (Yashin too iirc). Didn't realize he was quite comfortable cutting on to his left foot too.
Suarez was so good! Literally a class apart to anyone else in that game, even though Voronin & a few others also had a brilliant game.

Šjor Bepo

Suarez was so good! Literally a class apart to anyone else in that game, even though Voronin & a few others also had a brilliant game.
is it ever any different?

Irwin99

Keane scores a brace in a tightly fought 2-1 victory, to end Arsenal's 31 game unbeaten run (including a 11 game winning streak) at Highbury.

Keane consistently had the upper hand over Vieira on this encounter and the Frenchman had a rather muted performance whilst Keane was inspirational as always.
:drool: I love Vieira as a player but it always seemed funny to me that he tried his usual trick of flicking the ball over an oppo player but gave the ball away for the first Keane goal. It was only a few months after his error in the FA cup semi too.