Match Compilations

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
:drool: I love Vieira as a player but it always seemed funny to me that he tried his usual trick of flicking the ball over an oppo player but gave the ball away for the first Keane goal. It was only a few months after his error in the FA cup semi too.
Vieira was quite the player and in many ways I really wanted Pogba to emulate him and add Vieira's tenacity and dynamism to his arsenal (Pogba is more talented on the ball relatively).

Rather careless of Vieira as you mentioned and he didn't have a great game, although he's had good games against us at times.

I really think Keane's mentality is what set him apart from Vieira and the rest, there were games when I've seen Vieira go into his shell and be rather anonymous but Keane really used to thrive in those high pressure situations.

And that's the cue for @Gio to chip in with a neutral comment :wenger: :lol: .

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just :drool:. The Uruguayans simply couldn't get near him. The commentator's voice turned to jelly whenever Giresse got on the ball :lol:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

A decent performance by Francescoli. It has to be one of the most frustrating experiences in football, trying to watch that Uruguayan side. If only he'd been born 2 decades earlier or later...
Yes, they often played really ugly football. I used to unfairly think Francescoli was one of the more overrated players of that era when i had only seen the World Cup stuff, until i learned more about the context and saw more of him.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A decent performance by Francescoli. It has to be one of the most frustrating experiences in football, trying to watch that Uruguayan side. If only he'd been born 2 decades earlier or later...

Just :drool:. The Uruguayans simply couldn't get near him. The commentator's voice turned to jelly whenever Giresse got on the ball :lol:
D'oh. Both these comps weren't friendlies (@Šjor Bepo ) after all, but the Artemio Franchi Cup which was held between the Euros winners and the Copa America holders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemio_Franchi_Trophy

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yes, they often played really ugly football. I used to unfairly think Francescoli was one of the more overrated players of that era when i had only seen the World Cup stuff, until i learned more about the context and saw more of him.
Yeah, it's just interesting that they played Enzo up front or pushed forward and not in a relatively withdrawn role, although of course that didn't hinder them in the Copa Americas or in that game against Scotland. You'd ideally want your most creative player to be on the ball more often and not cut a frustrated figure foraging up front.

That said, from watching Francescoli I do get the feeling that he is relatively better at dribbling and forward play than at being a #10 or a pure playmaker. Perhaps I need to watch more of him at River during the nineties.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A brilliant game at Old Trafford and whilst the 4-0 thrashing we received at Camp Nou gets mentioned repeatedly, this game tends to be swept under the carpet. Barcelona had the edge in possession with Guardiola and Koeman pulling the strings but United had the better chances with Lee Sharpe and Kanchelskis running riot on the flanks.

Cruyff's dream team had the likes of Romario, Stoichkov, Guardiola, Koeman and Bakero - quite the side and they played some lovely football.

Keane's had better games individually (esp with regards to his long passing) but he more than makes up for it with the assist for Sharpe's equaliser in the 80th minute.

Edit: Blocked but I've appealed. Let's see...

Edit 2: Game is up again

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Simply outstanding performance against Austria in 1967 (a qualification game for the 1968 Euros).
Soviet Union were rated #1 European team of the year by France Football and were going into the 1968 at full speed. Shesternyov, Voronin, Streltsov, Chislenko were all world-class and there were brilliant young talent coming through in Byshovets, Khurtsilava etc. Chislenko had scored 10 goals in 13 international games that year.

And then Czechoslovakia kicks the shit out of USSR team right before the Euros, injuring multiple players... including Chislenko. His knee was hurt so badly that it basically finished his career at the top level, right at the time when he had reached his absolute peak. And then Voronin gets into a horrible car accident – it was a miracle that he had even survived that, half of his face had to be surgically reconstructed and he had never fully recovered. Torpedo had tried to play him in couple of games when his body allowed it, but they quickly realised that it's not really an option.

So we went to the Euros without 2 of our best and most in form players... and then add Streltsov to that, the party didn't allow him to participate in a major tournament even though he was allowed to play for the national team. We went to the semi-finals, draw with Italy and then lose the tie because of a coin-flip :mad:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Simply outstanding performance against Austria in 1967 (a qualification game for the 1968 Euros).
Soviet Union were rated #1 European team of the year by France Football and were going into the 1968 at full speed. Shesternyov, Voronin, Streltsov, Chislenko were all world-class and there were brilliant young talent coming through in Byshovets, Khurtsilava etc. Chislenko had scored 10 goals in 13 international games that year.

And then Czechoslovakia kicks the shit out of USSR team right before the Euros, injuring multiple players... including Chislenko. His knee was hurt so badly that it basically finished his career at the top level, right at the time when he had reached his absolute peak. And then Voronin gets into a horrible car accident – it was a miracle that he had even survived that, half of his face had to be surgically reconstructed and he had never fully recovered. Torpedo had tried to play him in couple of games when his body allowed it, but they quickly realised that it's not really an option.

So we went to the Euros without 2 of our best and most in form players... and then add Streltsov to that, the party didn't allow him to participate in a major tournament even though he was allowed to play for the national team. We went to the semi-finals, draw with Italy and then lose the tie because of a coin-flip :mad:
:drool: love the offside lines at Bergkamp assist haha

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Great performance. @2.24 for a second I thought the commentator was referring to Anatoliy Byshovets as the master passer :lol: before listening again and realised he was referring to Streltsov.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just brilliant again. Was kind of surprised when he didn't win the MOTM yet against although that could very well be my bias.

Gascoigne was already a brilliant player even at 21 and created some decent chances although he was subdued overall in this match, understandably enough.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Redondo and Tenerife put up a good fight but Barcelona were simply too strong and Romario was in red hot form. They weren't exactly helped by their goalie Manolo getting sent off on 30 minutes but crybaby Guardiola getting sent off in the 2nd half gave them a lifeline.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Redondo and Tenerife put up a good fight but Barcelona were simply too strong and Romario was in red hot form. They weren't exactly helped by their goalie Manolo getting sent off on 30 minutes but crybaby Guardiola getting sent off in the 2nd half gave them a lifeline.

The Tenerife defense had no idea what to do with him :lol: . They were getting sucked into the Dream team's passing carousel and before you knew it, Romario was somehow through on goal...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

In a match flooded with greats and a phenomenal midfield featuring Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Rui Costa, Gattuso and Cambiasso, Veron simply stood out with a cracking display - exhibiting both grit and class in equal measure. Just brilliant and mind you, it wasn't even him at his peak.

And just to show that it wasn't an one off. Here's his performance in the return fixture from the same season (not my comp).

If only he'd worked out at United...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Great performance from Gullit playing up front with Mancini behind him, in the hole (till he was subbed off). Just toys with the Juventus defense. A shame Kohler wasn't fit for this match, would have been quite the battle.

Baggio wasn't as impressive but showed some moments of class with a free kick hitting the upright and should have had a penalty too (Gullit too in fairness).

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Keane scores a brace in a tightly fought 2-1 victory, to end Arsenal's 31 game unbeaten run (including a 11 game winning streak) at Highbury.

Keane consistently had the upper hand over Vieira on this encounter and the Frenchman had a rather muted performance whilst Keane was inspirational as always.

The return fixture of this game at Old Trafford. Vieira and Petit were brilliant, esp in the opening exchanges, and United struggled to get going initially. Mind you, we hadn't played a Premier League game for exactly a month (due to the club world cup at Brazil).

Once Keane got going, he more or less drove United on, playing a key role in the equalizer with a delightful pass and showing off some jaw dropping moments of defensive brilliance (my favorite being the long busting run to make a great challenge and then following it up with a potentially goal saving block @2.45 :drool: )

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fantastic! A music could've been a bit louder though.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Incredible stuff. How on earth did you figure out who he was in a lot of the footage?
dont ask, still have nightmares.....
though he is quite "easy" to spot, in lot of games his balding head is quite visible and after some time you pick up his body movement, has a recognizable grandpa stroll.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A brilliant display from Keane as he provides 2 splendid assists - the first an incisive slide rule pass and the second, a lovely cross that Beckham would have been proud of.

United were a goal down and looked short on ideas, with Sir Alex Ferguson being sent off to the stands but Keane and his exceptional passing were very much the difference here.

He should have very well have had a hattrick of assists mind you, with Ruud missing a gilt edged opportunity (he'd go on to make up for it though).

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

A brilliant display from Keane as he provides 2 splendid assists - the first an incisive slide rule pass and the second, a lovely cross that Beckham would have been proud of.

United were a goal down and looked short on ideas, with Sir Alex Ferguson being sent off to the stands but Keane and his exceptional passing were very much the difference here.

He should have very well have had a hattrick of assists mind you, with Ruud missing a gilt edged opportunity (he'd go on to make up for it though).
Great watch that. Loved the commentary as well.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Scores a stunning free kick and one of his finest individual goals imo. Assists the other goal too for good measure :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

The game in which he scored the most iconic goal of his career.

Also some interesting trivia for those interested

England in Brazil is not just a normal friendly and it never has been. In fact it can change your life. This much became clear to Mark Hateley when the president of AC Milan called the team hotel and tried to sign him just a few hours after his goal in the Maracana Stadium.

Hateley said: ‘He called Ray Wilkins, who had already signed for Milan, and Ray came up to me the day after the game.

‘I laughed and told him I wasn’t sure Portsmouth would let me go.

‘But the deal was done between the clubs while I was away. I came back and sorted my side of the deal in a day and a half in London.

‘That goal went worldwide and I was an AC Milan player within 12 days. I was in the right place at the right time. I thought I was going on that tour to push the skips around.

‘I was a Second Division player at Portsmouth, a young and naive lad. I was 21 and had just scored for England in the Maracana.

‘It was like all my dreams had come true on one day. Then I find out Milan want me.

‘I went to Italy and was sent off for a head-butt in my first game. In my fifth game I scored in the derby against Inter and, from that point on, I couldn’t fail with the Milan fans. The club gave me an education, with Nils Liedholm and a young Fabio Capello who would take me out every day to work on my game.

‘It changed my life completely that goal against Brazil. It was ridiculous.’
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...rlain-look-famous-victory-Rio-De-Janeiro.html