Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nice video @harms

Just curious...how long do these compilations take for you?
Nowadays – not that much longer than watching the game itself, if the footage is good, of course. Maybe x1,5-x2? I rarely do those in one go, it’s usually a background task that I come back to during a day multiple times. Shesternyov’s one probably took about 120 minutes – I know the player well, footage is great, his role is super clear... the last one took a bit longer as I did all three of Baxter/Law/Seeler in one go, but again, footage was clear and all players were clearly recognizable... I’ve looked at replays for way too long though, especially on Baxter’s, looking for patterns of play and simply enjoying it, so it was probably around 2-2,5 hours in the end (the footage itself was around 60 minutes, they sometimes cut all the “boring” stuff out of old games before showing them on TV, sadly; 60 minutes gives you a fair assessment of the game though, especially since they usually cut out the bits where the ball was out etc.).

If the footage is poor or I want to watch replays for other reasons, it can drag out almost indefinitely though.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
nice though surprisingly short, turned Pele mode on in second half:lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Scores one of the best goals of his career and some nice link up play between him and Del Piero (& Toricelli :lol: )

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't want to clog this thread up you guy's are doing an amazing work so here is the last one I'd like to share.

Cambiasso vs Bayern Munchen

harms

Staff
In a game that caused a proper meltdown in Argentine press, Maradona still managed to almost scored 2 goals that wouldn't look out of place in any player's all-time highlights compilation. Fecking ridiculous.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Thiago Silva and PSG up against Tito Vilanova's Barca. This performance showcases Silva's full defensive repertoire, pressing resistance, passing game, and a towering header on the post right before PSG's first goal. Have put a perhaps unusual focus on off the ball movement to highlight the constant adjustments he makes according to the flow of the situation.

Individual stats:
tackles (att.succ.): 4/4
interceptions: 7
clearances: 8
blocks: 1
aerial duels won: 3
fouls: -

For those only interested in the main action, I've also posted a 9 minutes "populist" version in the Thiago Silva thread.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Synco Great vid. That was an excellent defensive performance. Really good at reading the game and made astute tackles. Also good in the air. His passing was fine but nothing special, he did a few of those diagonal clipped balls forward that Rio used to do which 9 out of 10 times just lost the ball. I did though like his dribble forward and his close control was really good.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Thiago Silva and PSG up against Tito Vilanova's Barca. This performance showcases Silva's full defensive repertoire, pressing resistance, passing game, and a towering header on the post right before PSG's first goal. Have put a perhaps unusual focus on off the ball movement to highlight the constant adjustments he makes according to the flow of the situation.

Individual stats:
tackles (att.succ.): 4/4
interceptions: 7
clearances: 8
blocks: 1
aerial duels won: 3
fouls: -

For those only interested in the main action, I've also posted a 9 minutes "populist" version in the Thiago Silva thread.
Masterclass. Lots of impressive examples of defending his blind side there, seamlessly reading runs, picking up and passing on players. Very, very few in the last couple of decades are capable of defending to that level.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco Great vid. That was an excellent defensive performance. Really good at reading the game and made astute tackles. Also good in the air.
Cheers, Physio.
His passing was fine but nothing special, he did a few of those diagonal clipped balls forward that Rio used to do which 9 out of 10 times just lost the ball.
Have to disagree on this one, as I'd include clean short passing out of pressure as well, which was mostly excellent. Long passes were also much better than 1/10 :D

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Have to disagree on this one, as I'd include clean short passing out of pressure counts as well, which was mostly excellent. Long passes were also much better than 1/10 :D
Short passing was very good and he did do some good long passes. There was 2 or 3 occasions he went for that diagonal clipped ball forward that I hate, that was all.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Short passing was very good and he did do some good long passes. There was 2 or 3 occasions he went for that diagonal clipped ball forward that I hate, that was all.
Get it. And I'd say at least for his earlier Milan time his long passing was a bit too ambitious at times, although that was part of the team's style (and perhaps Serie A football in general back then). I think a case can be made that Silva's passing has evolved with the game as a whole, mainly in terms of risk management.

(Already mentioned it in a PM, it's generally remarkable how far passing standards seem to have risen even in the last 10 years. Maybe there's simply pre-Pep and post-Pep football in that regard.)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
To be fair Tifo rarely create insightful content for those who are already introduced to tactical basics (like Michael Cox & co.). Not that it’s bad – their target audience is much wider and they do good job explaining stuff to them.

Well, that sounded snobbish.
Anyone else want to get all high and mighty today over the rest of the forum?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Well, in the Silva thread I called the video I posted here the "full-on nerd version", so there's that :D

harms

Staff
:lol:

I’ve mentioned my own snobbishness, it has to count for something!

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Get it. And I'd say at least for his earlier Milan time his long passing was a bit too ambitious at times, although that was part of the team's style (and perhaps Serie A football in general back then). I think a case can be made that Silva's passing has evolved with the game as a whole, mainly in terms of risk management.

(Already mentioned it in a PM, it's generally remarkable how far passing standards seem to have risen even in the last 10 years. Maybe there's simply pre-Pep and post-Pep football in that regard.)
Not sure if you're just talking about defenders here Synco, but unfortunately i don't think passing standards had risen everywhere though, i'd argue they've actually declined over the last 10-15 years in some of the non-elite national teams. Especially for eastern european teams that used to produce a good amount of technically proficient midfielders like Russia, Romania, Serbia, Czechia, Slovakia, Bulgaria. Most of the time up until sometime in the '00s those teams used to be very neat and tidy in passing technique and in buildup/overall team passing setups even if they didn't have the depth/quality i other areas throughout the entire side to avoid often playing on the counter against the bigger teams, but when i watch any play now it's rare they show much invention in team passing or are even technically able to string 5-10 passes together with any regularity.

Croatia have avoided it after looking like they were going the same way during the early-mid 00s and Hungary seem to be finally improving again recently, especially technically, yet overall it's not a good time to follow football in the region if you value good technical football.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

One of the more awkward and funnier matches that I've watched :lol: . Breitenigge scored a hattrick each, with Müller scoring a brace.

Cruyff's comp to follow, I expected him to have a poor game going by some of the reports but he put on a decent showing imo.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

The glorious bastard, could watch him all day :drool:

harms

Staff
One of the more awkward and funnier matches that I've watched :lol: . Breitenigge scored a hattrick each, with Müller scoring a brace.

Cruyff's comp to follow, I expected him to have a poor game going by some of the reports but he put on a decent showing imo.
Oh, yeah, it was one of the weirdest games that I've ever watched :lol:
They didn't came to have fun, they came to win.

harms

Staff

I'm pretty sure that FIFA will simply deny my appeal, so watch it while it's still there! :)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

I'm pretty sure that FIFA will simply deny my appeal, so watch it while it's still there! :)
Remarkable defensive presence again. The scene at 3:10 isn't spectacular, but pure control & dominance. One of the defenders who combine brains, physicality, pace, and (as it seems to me) a quite clean tackling style. Game on the ball is pretty basic but neat, long passing sometimes good, sometimes a bit off.

The game looks really slow at times, I remember that from other 1970 WC games as well. I always put it down to heat and altitude.

Mazurkiewicz sweep at 6:55 is noted for future draft discussions.

harms

Staff
The game looks really slow at times, I remember that from other 1970 WC games as well. I always put it down to heat and altitude.
Yeah. This one, as well as the opening games by the Soviets, started at noon, you can see that there’s barely any shadows at the beginning of the game as the sun is right above them. One of the Russian voices that you can hear in the background is Anzor Kavazashvili, the Soviet keeper, his input was quite insightful. He said (and I agree) that the tempo of the game was dictated by the Uruguayan team – Soviets played more energetic football that was more natural for them in the first 10 minutes, but then accepted the tempo, which was a big mistake.

Uruguayans played very smart, managed to mostly disrupt Soviet attacks, dragged the game to the extra-time and scored a funny goal. They got lucky, of course – in quite a few moments where Soviet forwards failed to convert obvious chances and with their goal... but I should say that they’ve totally deserved that luck and were the worthy winners in the end despite going into the game as huge underdogs.

P.S. In the opening game the Soviet manager put the reserves on the field for all of the official ceremonies (those took about an hour right under the scorching sun), and right before the starting whistle he put on the real starting XI that spent previous hour in a cool dressing room with air-conditioning. Quite cheeky.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@harms On a similar note at Mexico ‘70 during the Brazil v England clash, Zagallo kept his boys in at half time beyond the time for returning to the park, leaving the England players stewing in the heat for a few extra minutes.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Not too often that you are on the receiving end of a 8-0 thrashing but still stand out as the best player on the pitch :drool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Maracanã :drool:

Thiago Silva with an outstanding game in almost every way - notable exception being the fateful lapse in the 64th minute (Scolari's face :lol:). A showcase for how crucial he was to give that gung-ho Brazil side the necessary stability to see out a match like this. Put Dante in this game (not a slight on him, btw), and they might have even gone out in the quarters.

Edit: Like for the last one, I also uploaded a more condensed version (link).

Last edited:

harms

Staff

Every time I watch him play I wonder were there actually any players unequivocally better than him?