Mateo Mejia

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Great to see him fit again, fingers crossed he can get a slice of good fortune and stay injury free.

Red Rash

Is the fact he has come back and training with the senior players significant in any way? Or is it just due to the international break?

Mickson

Has he played well recently?
He hasn't played recently. Been injured for a long time, in fact he has barely played for United at any level.

Is the fact he has come back and training with the senior players significant in any way? Or is it just due to the international break?
The youth teams have a lot of players on international duty, like the first team, so they are just putting the groups together.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Has he played well recently?
He's barely played at all, unless the poster watched him in Spain I don't know where the praise is coming from. He was highly rated when we signed him but he's essentially missed 2 years of football.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He's barely played at all, unless the poster watched him in Spain I don't know where the praise is coming from. He was highly rated when we signed him but he's essentially missed 2 years of football.
Looked a baller when he stuck 4 past Blackburn u16s, I hope he can get and stay fit to become a pro somewhere.

Acquire Me

Great to see him back. I read a lot about him when he join. Such a huge talent. Let’s hope the injuries are behind him now.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Supposedly called up to Colombia u20s, will be good for him to get some more games in competitive environments.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Supposedly called up to Colombia u20s, will be good for him to get some more games in competitive environments.
He has only started about four games for us in three years and missed three years of development.

I'm pleased he has been selected for Columbia youth but he hasn't kicked a ball for us since mid-August.

Fingers crossed.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has only started about four games for us in three years and missed three years of development.

I'm pleased he has been selected for Columbia youth but he hasn't kicked a ball for us since mid-August.

Fingers crossed.
Yeah, I am aware - was always looking out for him, only to be disappointed! I don't have high hopes of him making it here, but hope he makes a good career for himself.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Phew! I saw the thread and I was expecting to hear news of him being hit with some injury again. I can't remember an academy kid with such high potential but with such poor luck.

Thiagoal

Hopefully he can kick on and have a career in the game. Seems pretty slow the last few games I’ve watched but does seem to have a good strikers instinct

kundalini

Must say I’m surprised about this if true.

We gave D'Mani Mellor an extra year to get fit after a serious injury and kept Max Taylor until he had a chance of playing professionally. I don't think the decision is anything to do with first team chances or even getting a fee. We'd like him to have a career in the game and are willing to help him given his injuries.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
We gave D'Mani Mellor an extra year to get fit after a serious injury and kept Max Taylor until he had a chance of playing professionally. I don't think the decision is anything to do with first team chances or even getting a fee. We'd like him to have a career in the game and are willing to help him given his injuries.
Yeah that’s the most likely scenario. And I appreciate that we support our young players even when they might not have a future here. It’s not like we’re paying shedloads of wages for them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s smart, because it helps us with future recruitment. A reason so many overseas talents are willing to join the academy is not just because of the pathway to the first team, but also the unbelievable record we have in developing players who go on and have a professional career elsewhere. If you treat people as disposable, rather than, well, as people….you can’t expect to keep on recruiting the best young talents.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It’s smart, because it helps us with future recruitment. A reason so many overseas talents are willing to join the academy is not just because of the pathway to the first team, but also the unbelievable record we have in developing players who go on and have a professional career elsewhere. If you treat people as disposable, rather than, well, as people….you can’t expect to keep on recruiting the best young talents.
A really really good point that.

The academy isn't always about a path to the United first team.

In fact, it's actually secondary in the grand scheme of probability. Any player making it any pro level should be deemed a success.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The article said that we will send him out on loan.

KevinJoh

I don't think Mejia pro contract is a bad idea. He did not play for 2 years, since he came just in a few months he started to play regular football and he is showing some promising stuff. Of course far away from first team, but keep in mind that we don't have too many options in that position in U21 team. So, if he is loaned out that is OK, but also if he stays it could be good to have one stronger lad upfront as both Hugill and McNeill will definitely leave on loan or for good. Norkett left for Forest I can see, so we don't have alternatives for striker positions.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think there was rumours him and Emeran will go out on loan this season, it would be great if he can stay fit and get a full season somewhere.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Perhaps I’m mistaken but I believe we’ve usually published the contract length for 20-year olds before. A bit of a weird one from that perspective.

Mickson

Strange....if he is loaned out and does well for a season the club will not get a transfer fee for him.
I guess he stays because he can play LW and striker for the U21 for a year. Filling out the squad. Perhaps also because they're being nice because of all his injuries. There is no way Mejia will be a first-teamer at United.

Ace of Spades

Good luck to the lad, been very unlucky with injuries since he came here.

Still, a very good move for him and we also managed to get some sell on clause in there, so that one year extension was not useless thankfully.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Could be a decent deal for all parties that. It's not ridiculous to think that 25% could be worth a couple of mill or more in time. Good luck Mateo.