Mateo Retegui

Raoul

Admin
Staff
An emerging name in the striker market.

A few sites linking us and a few other clubs with him lately. Bayern, PSG, and Madrid also allegedly interested.

"Mateo Retegui, the Argentine nugget that interests PSG, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester United"

Howson also made a video on him recently.

Last edited:

avgp_1

The biggest striker talent in Argentina after Alvarez apparently. Have only seen YouTube comps but he looks good.

Should also keep an eye out for Alan Varela. Could be a cheap understudy to Casemiro

TsuWave

clicked the video in the OP expecting a player comp and Howson's face popped up. Jump scare

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So he's 23 years old, his overall record is 5 goals in 29 games in some poor quality leagues. Am I missing something here?
I thought that too but his Wiki hasn't been updated in 3 years.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So he's 23 years old, his overall record is 5 goals in 29 games in some poor quality leagues. Am I missing something here?
Had a bunch of nothing loans before this season just gone where he went to Tigre and was top scorer in the Argentine league with 19 goals (second place had 14, and top scorer the year before, Alvarez managed 18 in a stronger team). The table on his wiki page hasn't been updated. He's still on Boca's books as far as I can tell.

Could be either a Kane-type late bloomer, or a one season wonder. Strangely, his kicking technique looks quite a lot like Kane as well for some reason.

Ekeke

He scored 19 in the league last year. Has started with 3 more in this one
6 penalties, 3 getting on the end of set pieces, 9 from normal open play and 1 goal on the counter making 10 overall open play

The 3 goals he's scored this season are all from open play rather than set pieces, so thats a positive trend away from relying on set pieces

I havent seen much of him to be honest. From what I have seen he looks a bit like an Argentine mini-Kane, a proper striker with a shot who can put the ball in with his feet or head or at the end of a set piece. But mini because of course I dont think he has the same talent. He may be more of a 10-15 goal a season striker in the premier league in the end.

Regardless at 23 he'd be a good option for our squad. But I'm certainly not convinced he's our end game starting striker. I thought Ojeda was better and as someone I have seen plenty of, although he plays as an attacker from the right. He's in the RVP mould with a great left foot. But he's just left for the MLS like a lot of the players who do well in Argentina

avgp_1

6 penalties, 3 getting on the end of set pieces, 9 from normal open play and 1 goal on the counter making 10 overall open play

The 3 goals he's scored this season are all from open play rather than set pieces, so thats a positive trend away from relying on set pieces

I havent seen much of him to be honest. From what I have seen he looks a bit like an Argentine mini-Kane, a proper striker with a shot who can put the ball in with his feet or head or at the end of a set piece. But mini because of course I dont think he has the same talent. He may be more of a 10-15 goal a season striker in the premier league in the end.

Regardless at 23 he'd be a good option for our squad. But I'm certainly not convinced he's our end game starting striker. I thought Ojeda was better and as someone I have seen plenty of, although he plays as an attacker from the right. He's in the RVP mould with a great left foot. But he's just left for the MLS like a lot of the players who do well in Argentina
Tbh haven't seen much of him either, mostly some compilations and match highlights. Will be interesting to follow his progress this year to see if he can better those numbers.

Argentinian clubs aren't rich and tend to not charge big fees which should be something we should also look at. Prestianni, Varela and maybe some other gems from there are still up for grabs

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would imagine with the amount we spent this summer just gone, we'll need to lean on signings like this if we want all areas covered in the squad. Hopefully if it's not this guy, we take a chance on someone else.

footballbite

Could be either a Kane-type late bloomer, or a one season wonder. Strangely, his kicking technique looks quite a lot like Kane as well for some reason.
I was coming on here to post the same thing - he plays (and even looks) quite a bit like Kane. He even takes penalties with the exact same run-up movement.

JohnnyLaw

How does he stack up against the other big Argentine lad we were linked with a few years ago?

Remember him being a bit of a unit, name started with G I think. I believe he went to Belgium at first and then to Italy. Don’t know where he’s at now but he didn’t make much of a splash since moving to europe.

Santos J

How does he stack up against the other big Argentine lad we were linked with a few years ago?

Remember him being a bit of a unit, name started with G I think. I believe he went to Belgium at first and then to Italy. Don’t know where he’s at now but he didn’t make much of a splash since moving to europe.
Hopefully better as he scored 1 in 29 in Spain's 2nd tier last season!

Davicho

Really? He is average at best. Not even close to Lautaro Martinez or Julián Álvarez.

davbon

Looking at the Youtube video, he looks like a very complete forward. I could definately see a scenario where we sell Martial in the summer and buy two new strikers, one high profile (like Kane or Osimhen) and one younger back-up (fx this guy). Strikers usually develop consistency later than other player (fx Kane, Drogba etc.)

cj_sparky

I wonder if this is more a case of Lisandro Martinez's agency, who also represent this guy offering him to United as an option.

Oldyella

I would imagine with the amount we spent this summer just gone, we'll need to lean on signings like this if we want all areas covered in the squad. Hopefully if it's not this guy, we take a chance on someone else.
Guess it all depends on the buy out. I like the idea the club is planning for both eventualities (rich owners/ Glazers mk.2)

SparkedIntoLife

According to a few Argentine fans, he's good and they think Boca were crazy to let him go. They generally believe he'll make it in Europe, especially Italy (dare I say, the most likely option as Francesco Totti is his agent) but may well be too slow for the Prem and not good enough for the very top clubs. As for Gaich, seems he just can't score and is well off the levels mooted. Veliz and Jose Lopez might be more promising Argentinian target man style prospects than Retegui and Gaich.

Valencia Shin Crosses

These types of transfers get me excited actually because he'd clearly be our second choice behind whoever we go after as far as big names this summer, but could end up being quality and wouldn't cost a significant portion of our budget. I do think regardless we need 2 strikers this summer, especially if Martial is sold

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Guess it all depends on the buy out. I like the idea the club is planning for both eventualities (rich owners/ Glazers mk.2)
Those aren't the only two options. Being sustainable is also very viable. We have invested a lot of money with not a lot of return, we shouldn't really be spending a great deal without significant sales this summer to be honest.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These types of transfers get me excited actually because he'd clearly be our second choice behind whoever we go after as far as big names this summer, but could end up being quality and wouldn't cost a significant portion of our budget. I do think regardless we need 2 strikers this summer, especially if Martial is sold
Whoever we wind up with, he needs to be a reliable goal scorer. Selling Martial and replacing him with someone who knocks in about 12-15 goals a year isn't going to move the needle next year.

Oldyella

Those aren't the only two options. Being sustainable is also very viable. We have invested a lot of money with not a lot of return, we shouldn't really be spending a great deal without significant sales this summer to be honest.
Sorry, when I say rich owners, I mean they leave us in a sustainable position. Someone who comes in, clears the debt and puts some money aside for stadium and training ground renovations is fine if they let us spend revenue on players. We dont need state backing, just owners who dont leech money from us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Whoever we wind up with, he needs to be a reliable goal scorer. Selling Martial and replacing him with someone who knocks in about 12-15 goals a year isn't going to move the needle next year.
I'm more talking about our 2nd/rotational striker (which is what I presume this guy would be). Obviously the main big striker signing needs to be more prolific yes.

Davicho

I'm sure you've watched a lot of him :lol: The confidence in your statement is admirable and laughable at the same time
Yes, i'm chilean and follow pretty close the argetinean league. He is not Premier League quality, never mind United quality.

LuckyScout78

We need @LuckyScout78 to give us a report on him.
Sorry buddy. I have to watch and observe a player live and direct before i write a report on him. I can't write report on all good football player and talents around the world. There are a lot of them.
I have to stand for what i am reporting and write about. So i have to watch them live.

But from the first look of him on youtube. Even we all know. Its their best part of theirs performance. But as a CF and striker. He does looks sharp and clinical. But again. I have to watch them live. To see and observe their overall play too. How theirs working rate on the pitch and link up play.

And 19 goals in 27 matches. On the highest level in Argentina. I think it's a really good achievement;)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very, very raw. Looks like he has talent though. Interesting to see what he looked like against Prem level players.