Matic & Scott

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This seems like the best pairing, no? Scott is a big lad, high energy, can make a tackle & is a decent dribbler. Matic is good at intercepting & majority of his passes actually go where he wants them to go.

Pogba is a liability defensively, Fred is a liability period & Donny is.. well, I don’t even know what’s going on with him.

Anyway. I think this is the way to go. McTominay’s work rate can cover for Matic’s lack of mobility.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Who are we playing?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure Matic will work against high energy midfield, but Fred is such a problem these days. Usually I'd say he's better than Mctominay but not so sure anymore with his consistent sloppiness

Abraxas

I still think McFred will be the one the manager settles on because the league is so competitive, it's hard to get away with Matic.

Although Fred needs to take a seat for a few games to liven him up. Playing properly dozy football at the moment, but he can be better than this.

Pronewbie

Peep
It was a great substitution by Ole to try and win the game. Fred wasn't offering much going forward and his team-mates didn't trust him playing the ball forward. It looked like West Ham too prioritised marking out our CBs instead of Fred.

Matic may not have the legs to play a full game for us regularly and certainly looked leggy late on in the Newcastle game. We definitely need an upgrade in that position. Declan Rice looked the part.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Matic is our best player at dictating our play and advancing the ball forwards whether it's through line-breaking passes or dribbling upfield. The fact that he can resist pressing opposition is a huge bonus, too.

The problem is he's a liability defensively, which is where McTominay comes in. He's probably our best CM at covering the field which could negate Matic's immobility problem.

I'd definitely try them two with Pogba on the left drifting centrally.

NZT-One

This seems like the best pairing, no? Scott is a big lad, high energy, can make a tackle & is a decent dribbler. Matic is good at intercepting & majority of his passes actually go where he wants them to go.

Pogba is a liability defensively, Fred is a liability period & Donny is.. well, I don’t even know what’s going on with him.

Anyway. I think this is the way to go. McTominay’s work rate can cover for Matic’s lack of mobility.
McTominay isn't really high energy, is he? Fred is, McTominay is alright in that regard, surely way better than Matic and than Pogba for what its worth.

Matic is our best player at dictating our play and advancing the ball forwards whether it's through line-breaking passes or dribbling upfield. The fact that he can resist pressing opposition is a huge bonus, too.

The problem is he's a liability defensively, which is where McTominay comes in. He's probably our best CM at covering the field which could negate Matic's immobility problem.

I'd definitely try them two with Pogba on the left drifting centrally.
He played three minutes today and the goal was more down to Lingard than him. Matic time is gone, no need to constantly drag him. Had we started with him, I think Westham would have eaten us alive because we would have spent the game defending 20 yards closer to our own goal most of the time.

Holocene

Neither of them are liabilities. Talk about hyperbole.

Kag

Depends on the opposition. For all of Fred’s faults, Matic has his own.

Our midfield options are just shite, and we’re going to have to grin and bear it until we can be chewed to go out and fix it.

How many times do we have to see Matic prove his legs have gone before people stop with this nonsense?

5 years ago yes he would have been our best midfielder. Now he's a liability in the PL and a 5 minute cameo with one good pass doesn't change a thing. He would have been dead on his feet after 30 minutes at the pace of today's game.

Abraxas

How many times do we have to see Matic prove his legs have gone before people stop with this nonsense?

5 years ago yes he would have been our best midfielder. Now he's a liability in the PL and a 5 minute cameo with one good pass doesn't change a thing. He would have been dead on his feet after 30 minutes at the pace of today's game.
I think one or two possibly get carried away without looking at the context of the game. West Ham looked leggy at that stage and the space was there for Matic with little danger of the counter as they were set to defend the draw. He could have gone on a little earlier, even. It's not necessarily indicative of him being a great starting option.

Wheato

It was Matic who threaded that ball through to Lingard for his goal and for the win.

McFred weren't able to do that. They just play sideways passes.

It makes such a huge difference.

CloneMC16

Matic cannot play every game for 90 minutes. If Matic was 5 years younger, he would start every game. Matic has much better ability on the ball, but he doesn't have the legs. Ole will continue to play McFred, because it's our most solid midfield pairing. It's not the prettiest, but it does an okay job.

POF

Matic is the only option with any sort of composure in there. It was an excellent sub by Ole. Matic had the assist for the winner in the end.

Midfield is a huge problem position for United this season. They were really poor today.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Matic has the silk, but just cannot last long.

Therefore, McFred will be the go too midfield combo for any challenging games.
Fred's greatest attribute is his relentless energy and speed in short distances harrying players.

Redlyn

A younger Matic would have been a no brainer. He just doesn't have the legs.

McFred weren't able to do that. They just play sideways passes.

It makes such a huge difference.
This is an example of people basing the game on their preconceived notions rather than the other way around.

The majority of our attacks in the first half started with McTominay playing line-breaking passes, and he also sent Ronaldo clear on goal for what should have been an easy square across to Greenwood.

McTominay passed it well and had a good game today. He and Fred are not the same player.