Mats Hummels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lots of talks about him in the media. He has also come out to say he wants to win trophies. Would he really consider joining Bayern?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ffs, I hope there's no truth to it. I really don't want him back at Bayern, he already annoys me enough while playing for Dortmund.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Ffs, I hope there's no truth to it. I really don't want him back at Bayern, he already annoys me enough while playing for Dortmund.
Why don't you want him back?

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
:lol: What about when he plays in the NT?

I've been saying for weeks that I'm convinced he'll leave. I would have ruled out Bayern for two reasons: Loyalty to his Dad and his own reaction to Götze's move. Mats has been very proud to have a different attitude as compared to the 'usual' football player. If he joins Bayern, I suspect he'd have a hard time accepting he isn't as special in that regard as he thought he is. :D

Lots of talks about him in the media. He has also come out to say he wants to win trophies. Would he really consider joining Bayern?
His Dad said the same before Hummels' last extension at Dortmund so that's the typical agent talk. As written above and in previous weeks, I'm convinced Hummels will move but not necessarily to Bayern.

Donut

I've been saying for weeks that I'm convinced he'll leave. I would have ruled out Bayern for two reasons: Loyalty to his Dad and his own reaction to Götze's move. Mats has been very proud to have a different attitude as compared to the 'usual' football player. If he joins Bayern, I suspect he'd have a hard time accepting he isn't as special in that regard as he thought he is. :D
Where do you think then? England? Maybe Barcelona?

Revan

Assumptionman
Cause he's a hipster. He left Bayern so Balu doesn't want him back, yadda yadda.

Hummels is the best German CB and will improve Bayern even further. And soon enough, Balu will be saying good things about him.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Can't stand him. Everytime he opens his mouth, he annoys me. I'd also prefer it if we stopped signing Dortmund players. We've found so many quality players all around Europe in recent years, it's simply unnecessary. And it's not like Hummels is playing a season that makes him a no brainer centerback choice.

That's different.

Aboutreika18

Cause he's a hipster. He left Bayern so Balu doesn't want him back, yadda yadda.

Hummels is the best German CB and will improve Bayern even further. And soon enough, Balu will be saying good things about him.
That's very ironic, coming from you of all posters. :lol:

And Bayern already have the best German CB.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

What the feck? Hummels isn't a hipster, he's not the best German CB and he hasn't improved one bit in 3 years now. In fact he has declined from his peak years (2010-2013). I certainly don't hold any grudges because he left Bayern. It was a perfectly reasonable decision by him and I've never said a bad word about that at all.

Skills

Snitch
He nearly always makes a twat of himself on the defensive end when I watch him.

Would still take him though, think he can cut that out under a more pragmatic coach like Mourinho.

Revan

Assumptionman
What the feck? Hummels isn't a hipster, he's not the best German CB and he hasn't improved one bit in 3 years now. In fact he has declined from his peak years (2010-2013). I certainly don't hold any grudges because he left Bayern. It was a perfectly reasonable decision by him and I've never said a bad word about that at all.
But you are. :)

He's better than Boateng IMO.

Agree that he hasn't improved since last world cup but he is still very good. Would be a nice signing for Bayern IMO.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He's better than Boateng IMO.
Fair enough, but I'm fairly certain that even many Dortmund fans would disagree with that. Maybe one or two will give their opinion on it.

ravi2

I dont think there is any way he would sign for Bayern, he had a go at Gotze for doing that exact same thing.
I can see him going to Spain tho.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I dont think there is any way he would sign for Bayern, he had a go at Gotze for doing that exact same thing.
I can see him going to Spain tho.
I wouldn't read anything into comments a footballer made 3 years ago. Opinions can change so quickly. But I hope there's some truth to the rumours about Barca being interested. Would love to see him go there, because Pique + Hummels sounds like a truely awful centerback pair to me. They have the same weaknesses and I really can't see that working well.

ravi2

I wouldn't read anything into comments a footballer made 3 years ago. Opinions can change so quickly. But I hope there's some truth to the rumours about Barca being interested. Would love to see him go there, because Pique + Hummels sounds like a truely awful centerback pair to me. They have the same weaknesses and I really can't see that working well.
You dont think he would make a better partner for Pique than Mascherano?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
No, not really. They need to partner Pique with someone who's quick and agressive. Not someone who's pretty much the same type of player with the same strengths and weaknesses. Mascherano did well in Puyol's role, Hummels simply can't do that. Barca's interest in Marquinhos makes a lot of sense in that regard.

ravi2

No, not really. They need to partner Pique with someone who's quick and agressive. Not someone who's pretty much the same type of player with the same strengths and weaknesses. Mascherano did well in Puyol's role, Hummels simply can't do that. Barca's interest in Marquinhos makes a lot of sense in that regard.

That is fair.
Alaba-Hummels-Boateng-Lahm would be a hell of a backline.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
They are too similar with Pique, imo. Mascherano is faster, sharper and tougher - both Pique and Hummels are a little lazy ball-playing CB's who need their "Puyol" (Mascherano is basically an inferior version of him) to play alongside them

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
ffs, almost word for word, even Mascherano - Puyol comparison.

It's a pretty obvious thought though

Skills

Snitch
Mascherano is very underrated here as a CB.
Yeah, every year people expect Barca to try and upgrade him. He's their best defender, and just a great player. Was unbelievably good at the world cup too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hummels is nowhere near as good as Boateng.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Him joining Bayern would go against everything he said in that context. So even if his father won't rule it out I'm a bit reluctant to believe it. Also the source for these rumours ("Express") isn't even remotely reliable.

I kind of agree with Balu. Hummels hasn't been his best in the past two or three seasons, at least not consistently. Everything considered Boateng easily outperformed him over that timespan. However imo he recovered this season and found his consistency under Tuchel. If he can keep it up he and Boateng look like a really terrific partnership on paper.

Regarding the annoyance factor: I often wonder myself whether what he says is geuine or if his statements are just well dressed up empty phrases to keep working on the image of the sophisticated footballer who is a bit above most of his colleagues.

Rumours that Chelsea want him. Makes sense with Terry set to leave.
Doesn't really makes sense from Hummel's point of view though. Chelsea's squad doesn't look nearly as strong as the top clubs' and they don't even play EL/CL next season.

If he wants to win a CL his destinations should be Barca, Real, Bayern and maybe City, because of the Pep factor.

Last edited:

Crossie

Supports
Where do you think then? England? Maybe Barcelona?
I'm not ruling Bayern out. I've felt for quite some time that Hummels is too full of himself having a special attitude towards his career and possible employer but OTOH it's not long ago that he pretty categorically said it's either an extension or a move abroad, and that he would like to experience life in another country. Now you can argue that Bavaria is a foreign country but he's been living there for many years so it shouldn't feel foreign to him. It would be a surprising move but more surprising transfers have happened.

I'm pretty sure he said Barcelona is his dream but I'm not sure they are really after him (don't trust rumors from Spain or BILD). I don't know if Real could be an option. In England I'd rule out Liverpool but I wouldn't rule out any other typical top 4 club.

That's different.
:lol::lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He'd still be my number 1 CB signing if he's available, just has the perfect game to complement Smalling in my opinion.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What? Why is that laughable? I always tolerate players I don't like in the nationalteam, while I'd hate it if they played for my club. Is that really such a weird thing?

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
Can't stand him. Almost as unlikeable as Klopp. He's nowhere near the level of Boateng, not during the last 3 years.

ZupZup

Controversial opinion incoming...

I don't think he's any better than Blind.

Blackwidow

I do not want him back at Bayern - but there are some things that would speak for it.

His father - who is his agent and who has worked for Bayern many years - is still very often on the Bayern trainings grounds and seems to have a good relationship with Bayern again - and everyone of his family (I am not sure about his mother - but brother, his wife's family, father etc.) is living in Munich and he is spending a lot time there. Yes, abroad might be interesting, too - but if you e.g. plan your family and his wife is talking about getting kids you might think about staying near your family to have help with it.

He has a very good relationship to Lahm, Neuer and Müller.

Mainoldo

Never wanted him as I always thought he would be too slow. But after watchin Blind... Change of heart. But now I think what's the point we have Blind.

Crossie

Supports
What? Why is that laughable? I always tolerate players I don't like in the nationalteam, while I'd hate it if they played for my club. Is that really such a weird thing?
To me, yes. I'm less tolerant than you. I can't switch on and off. If I don't like a player, I don't like him anywhere. Neither at Dortmund, at the NT nor at any club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He would certainly partner Smalling very well, and would leave Blind to play the LB or CDM position more freely too. We certainly could do with the options, as it's really been a miracle that Smalling/Blind stayed fit most of the season knowing our usual CB problems. I would definitely take him, but I don't think he is as good as everybody makes out. He really seems to struggle against pacey players, but the added height over Blind would certainly help the team in certain games.

I think he's more likely to go to either City/Barca/Chelsea though.

Crossie

Supports
He would certainly partner Smalling very well, and would leave Blind to play the LB or CDM position more freely too. We certainly could do with the options, as it's really been a miracle that Smalling/Blind stayed fit most of the season knowing our usual CB problems. I would definitely take him, but I don't think he is as good as everybody makes out. He really seems to struggle against pacey players, but the added height over Blind would certainly help the team in certain games.

I think he's more likely to go to either City/Barca/Chelsea though.
Sphaero has written oodles of times about Hummels and speedy players so I refer to one of his posts for a good read. I'm not sure Hummels would get along well with LvG, Pep or Mourinho for a longer period of time and therefore, provided any of the mentioned clubs are interested, I'd say Barcelona first, Chelsea second choice.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
To me, yes. I'm less tolerant than you. I can't switch on and off. If I don't like a player, I don't like him anywhere. Neither at Dortmund, at the NT nor at any club.
I don't switch on and off. I don't mind him playing for Germany because he's quality and I don't dislike him as a player at all. It's just easier to ignore his interviews when he isn't talking about the club I support on a regular basis. The few times something meaningful happens for the nationalteam I can tolerate, it's pretty much once every two years. That being said, Lahm did annoy me in an almost similar way for quite some time, but he really changed since 2013 and is so much more relaxed and likeable since. So there's hope for Hummels after all.

Crossie

Supports
I see. Your first post left me under the impression that you don't like him as a player and therefore oppose a return. It should be relatively easy to ignore his interviews.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
A Hummels transfer to Bayern also puts the rumours about Götze's return to Dortmund into a different light. It is much easier to imagine Rummenigge allowing it to happen if we get Hummels in return. They only have one year left on their contracts, too. Both clubs could then easily save face in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.