Mats Møller Dæhli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

That's all things that would count towards something being wrong with him. Not that he's a dick or is stupid. Mentally weak. I personally know people like this who could be professional football players now but turned back for these reasons and are now semi-pro at best.
Fair enough. Don't you think, though, that it's a little judgemental to me to call these perfectly normal things which plenty of people experience 'mental weakness'. A lot of people on here seem to not only hold professional footballers up to an extreme standard, but to regard only a narrow set of decisions as the 'right' ones or the 'strong' ones. We know nothing about what Daehli wants or cares about. Hell, maybe he's fallen madly in love with some Norwegian lass back home, who knows? Football may seem like the only thing he should care about to the fans, but that would be a stupid way to run your life as a player, because football only lasts a third of your life.

Reminds me a little of people berating Guardiola for his long-planned year out, saying he was weak and had crumbled under the pressure. In fact, he's just fecking rich and wanted to spend some of that money and time with his family. And now he's at the only club in the world better than the club he was at before.

Danillaco

Dæhli was interviewed by a Norwegian newspaper today. I can't be arsed to translate the whole thing, but here are the key points:

* Playing first team football for United was his dream, so the decision to leave was not an easy one.
* Nevertheless, his contract has a buy-back claue, should United become interested again.
* His reason for leaving is because he wishes to develop as a player. He feels that Molde is the best place for this.
* Solskjær was the most important motivation for his move. He's known Solskjær for a long time, and feels safer when he is in charge of his development.
* He's also inspired by Eikrem, who made a similar move and became pretty successful.

That is good enough for me. The buy-back clause is a real bonus for us.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
That is good enough for me. The buy-back clause is a real bonus for us.
Yep. He'll hopefully develop well under Ole. The Norwegian league isn't the most awesome arena, but for a 18-year-old with ambitions it's probably better to play first team football against at this level than spend another year in the United reserves and maybe go for a loan in Leage One or the Championship next season. I'm looking forward to following his progress, might even fecking watch Molde's matches just for that purpose.

Danillaco

Yep. He'll hopefully develop well under Ole. The Norwegian league isn't the most awesome arena, but for a 18-year-old with ambitions it's probably better to play first team football against at this level than spend another year in the United reserves and maybe go for a loan in Leage One or the Championship next season. I'm looking forward to following his progress, might even fecking watch Molde's matches just for that purpose.
Agreed. The thing is really get game, and first team experience on your belt. And I've been impressed and reassured that he wants to succeed at United, and this is only a so long. Let's see how Januzaj is handled, he is brilliant.

Eriku

Has looked sharp in his first match. Going to be interesting to see if he makes strides the same way Eikrem did.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
That's good to hear, hopefully he kicks on with his development.

Brightonian

Has looked sharp in his first match. Going to be interesting to see if he makes strides the same way Eikrem did.
I see him making even bigger ones. Eikrem was very good, and benefited from the responsibility of that orchestrating midfield role. But Daehli often looked the standout talent at United in a way Eikrem never quite did.

I'm in denial about the prospect he won't come back to us at some point. I'm counting it as a long-term loan, and no-one can tell me otherwise. :wenger:

Eirik Raude

First start for Molde yesterday in a league game. Impressed the whole country with his performance. Both classy and hard working. Most had him down as man of the match. I just love watching this lad play.

Genius Me!

Fantastic, sounds like it was a good move for him. Hopefully he progresses well enough to return home to us in a couple years.

lem8sh

Solskjaer comments yesterday after beating Lillestrom:

Mats was simply outstanding. The way he just keeps the ball on the ground, calms down and controls the flow of the game for the team.I am delighted! A few minutes into the game, I knew I made the right choice starting him.
He came to Molde for first team football, but he could’ve been at United now, playing for the first team. He’s in par with Adnan Januzaj. They grew up together in the U18-team, and Mats was player of the year.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Ole also said that he can't see him staying at Molde beyond next summer. I see a Dutch club in his future.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Don't we have a buy back option though?
The premise of my hunch is that he moves on next summer, by which time he won't be ready to play regularly for us, which is why he left in the first place.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The premise of my hunch is that he moves on next summer, by which time he won't be ready to play regularly for us, which is why he left in the first place.
I agree with that. I just think we should be smart about it and if he is making the supposed progress with regular game time ("Up there with Januzaj") then we should buy him back and just loan him somewhere else, in a more competitive league.

Becuase if he's sold on from Molde now, there's no guarantee we'll ever get him or if we do, we might end up paying a massive premium for someone we helped develop.

Commadus

Midfielders are seen as hellspawn at United. Blazers will do a deal for 50p if it makes them money.

Robbie Boy

Nah, iirc I think I read it was confirmed in this thread? I might be wrong though.
I don't know myself. I wasn't having a dig or anything but people seem to always presume this these days. In regards to Mats, I can see him going the same route as Eikrem alright and ending up in Holland.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I agree with that. I just think we should be smart about it and if he is making the supposed progress with regular game time ("Up there with Januzaj") then we should buy him back and just loan him somewhere else, in a more competitive league.

Becuase if he's sold on from Molde now, there's no guarantee we'll ever get him or if we do, we might end up paying a massive premium for someone we helped develop.
That might make sense from United's POV but Mats left to ensure his own progression, I doubt he'd be interested in the uncertainty that would accompany what you suggest.

Commadus

My mother always used to say if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Replace "nice" with "retarded" and you've got yourself a handy little tip you should adhere to before posting on redcafe.
Your sarcasm detector not working today?

Typical Pogue.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I still don't get why we sold him for a nominal fee rather than loaned him out for a season, Molde would have still taken him and next year we could loan him to a side in a better league, there'd be no shortage of interested parties.

LR7

I wouldn't like to see him move elsewhere. I hope we're keeping close tabs on him.

jb8521

He's a strange player he has good pace good short passing and exceptional dribbling but is a very poor striker of a ball when it comes to putting any power into it his shooting ability was always very poor unless he was passing the ball into the net it often looked like he just didn't have the technique or strength when it came to striking the ball even compared to younger players if he could sort this out he could be a great player

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Dæhli was interviewed by a Norwegian newspaper today. I can't be arsed to translate the whole thing, but here are the key points:

* Playing first team football for United was his dream, so the decision to leave was not an easy one.
* Nevertheless, his contract has a buy-back claue, should United become interested again.
* His reason for leaving is because he wishes to develop as a player. He feels that Molde is the best place for this.
* Solskjær was the most important motivation for his move. He's known Solskjær for a long time, and feels safer when he is in charge of his development.
* He's also inspired by Eikrem, who made a similar move and became pretty successful.

Genius Me!

I don't think he was on par with Januzaj at all and I don't think he'll ever be anything special.
I put Daehli in the same bracket as Pereira, the level below Januzaj. They're both talented, but they don't influence the matches almost near as consistently as Januzaj which sets him apart from most other youngsters.

Brightonian

I don't think he was on par with Januzaj at all and I don't think he'll ever be anything special.
I don't think he was excellent as consistently as Januzaj, but he got the POTY award ahead of him for a reason. I have a hunch about the lad. His future is very uncertain at the moment but if the club situation works out well for him, I see him having a very big future indeed.

Seems to be the presumption with every player that is sold these days.
Not United players. We don't normally sell a youth player until we're sure they're not going to make it here, and I can't remember any of our youngsters leaving with buy-back clauses before. Daehli confirmed that he has one in an interview.

PS18

In fairness, we're rarely privy to the details of these transfers (even the fees are usually a mystery) so we're not going to know if there's a clause involved 99% of the time. I suspect there's been a few, just nowhere near as many as some assume.

datura

In fairness, we're rarely privy to the details of these transfers (even the fees are usually a mystery) so we're not going to know if there's a clause involved 99% of the time. I suspect there's been a few, just nowhere near as many as some assume.
Yeah, much more likely to be a sell on clause then a buyback one.

Status
Not open for further replies.