Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFC Manager

The quick, even premature, announcement re Schweiny makes it seem strange that nothing official has been tweeted re Darmian. Not as done as we think? Or have they had to rush the Bastian announcement out because Rummenige has jumped the gun?
The latter, I think. Has happened quite often since last summer. Selling club jumps the gun...we have to then immediately announce as well.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I bet Darmian was doing his medical then Schweinsteiger came and we were like YOU OUT NOW. Schweinsteiger first.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will probably be announced in a few hours once the excitement dies down so he's jot completely overshadowed from basti

Devil may care

Poor lad will be hoping that he doesn't have a press conference with Bastian. The media will forget he is there, when he is actually a vital signing for us. It might actually take some pressure off him if we sign some big names.
It would be a bit like the presser last year where Blind was introduced with Falcao. Joking aside though from the bits and pieces I've read Darmian seems like the type of player that will be happy enough to dodge the spotlight stuff and just get on with things.

Raptori

Special needs
It would be a bit like the presser last year where Blind was introduced with Falcao. Joking aside though from the bits and pieces I've read Darmian seems like the type of player that will be happy enough to dodge the spotlight stuff and just get on with things.
Yeah I was about to say that, pretty sure a lot of players would be happy to be overshadowed like that. Takes the pressure off a bit.

Mister Ed

Poor darmian signing confirmed yesterday but then Schweinsteiger happens and suddenly nobody cares anymore, same as with Blind.

Don't worry fella I'am here for you, DARMIAAAAAAAn !:D

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
He just needs to read the pages from when he was on the plane to see that he's very welcome here and that the muppets love him. F*ck juventus Darmian!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In a way, it's actually awesome that Schweinsteiger is overshadowing Darmian. Transitioning from Torino to United is tough enough as it is, so it's better if he stays in the background and works on integrating himself into the squad while Pigmounter hogs all the attention. A lot of the supposedly lesser signings work out in no small part because the limelight/ burden of expectations is off them. Not just Vidic and Evra, but the likes of Azpilicueta for Chelsea, Abidal for Barcelona and the likes. Like @Devil may care said, Darmian's seems quite reserved in terms of his personality. Someone who's reportedly more focussed on performing rather than media posturing and whatnot. So the coincidental (?) arrangement does kind of suit him too.

Also,
F*ck juventus!
Maybe every post in this thread should end this way to make him feel welcome.

RetroStu

I know this is all but done but i just wish they would fecking confirm it!, no thought for us muppets at all.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We still love you (and that despite barely having seen you play). True love that is!

rotherham_red

The radio silence on this one since LVG's comments and the fact that we didn't announce the signing after being pre-empted by Bayern for Schweinsteiger certainly does suggest that we are planning a big reveal, along the lines of what De Telegraaf were reporting on the three signings by Monday... Maybe the hopes of Schneiderlin aren't dead after all :drool:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Has anyone been tracking the cabs leaving Carrington?

MDFC Manager

For the second time today, I've been logged out of the caf when I've clicked this thread. :nervous:

hbgreg

"Matteo, please lay down."
"F*ck juventus!"
"Uh, okay.. does this hurt?"
"F*ck juventus!"

"This is gonna take a while."

Deleted member 78215

Maybe we're gearing up for a triple platinum release.

I expect the unveiling of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Darmian together next week.

buckooo1978

Really hoping he wasn't introduced to Phil Jones in the medical centre before his test .... could be a few weeks out

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe we're gearing up for a triple platinum release.

I expect the unveiling of Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Darmian together next week.
I think the club fly out to the US on Monday and the press follow on Tuesday, so if not tomorrow it will be later in the week.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just to keep the mood while we wait for the official announcement.

Words from a couple more Torino fans who've joined to wish him luck.

Gentlemen, ManUtd is my favorite English team but I am first and foremost a fan of Torino FC (aka Toro). I registered at RedCafe because I was curious of your reaction on the signing of Matteo Darmian. I watched every match he played in the last four years. I'm probably biased, but I can tell you that you'll love the guy and the player.

As a person, he's not the usual modern spoiled footballer: no tattoos , no piercings, no weird hairdos, no flashy sportcars, no slutty girlfriends. Never uttered a bad or unwise word, never showed jealousy or bad feelings towards anybody.

As a player, his growth has been impressive. He started as a central defender, then, being of normal built, he was turned into a right back (he's right foot) for a 4 defense. Torino took him 4 years ago, the team was then playing 4-2-4, then 2 years ago turned into 3-5-2 and Darmian (by the way, he's not Armenian. Possibly one of his ancestors came from Armenia some centuries ago but he's 100% Italian) was the right wing, covering the whole righr side of the pitch. Then Giampiero Ventura, Toro's coach and the man who created Darmian as an international player, moved him to the left, and Matteo didn't blink and barely noticed the difference.

Darmian is superb as a defender: it's very difficult to pass him, in the team he was nicknamed 'polipo' (octopus) because it seems he has many long legs stealing the ball from opponents. In the last 4 years he improved dramatically in the offensive phase: technically he's good but he's not a Brasilian, he can dribble, jump the defender, he's a fairly good crosser and sometimes scores. This season, among others, he scored the winning goals against Athletic Bilbao in Europa League (Toro won 3-2 at San Mames) and vs arch-rivals Juventus in Turin.

Tactically he's world class: I think he could play in virtually any position because he's an intelligent and versatile player, and he 'sees' the different situations very well. I am sure Mr. van Gaal will love his discipline and sagacity, and will make good use of it.

He is a very fit player: he has never missed a match for injury in 4 years, and being very correct he never had a red card and only a few yellows. He is playing in the national team since last year World Cup, always in the starting 11.

A number of teams were interested in signing up Darmian: Inter Milan, Napoli and Roma in Italy, Barcelona, Bayern and ManUtd abroad. ManUtd was more determined, and now he's one of yours.

All Toro's fans are sad to see him going away, but at the same time we are happy that he went to ManUtd. Another player passed from Toro to the Red Devils a few years ago: someone Denis Law, I don't know if you remember him ;-) I hope that'll prove to be a good omen.

Be good with Matteo, my friends. You will learn to love him, his stamina, his fair play, his professionalism, his low profile combined with his terrific performances. Those are the best spent €20m of the last 20 years, mark my words. All the best for your season, I'll try to watch all ManUtd matches.
Sorry for my bad english. I'm Torino supporter ... sure you have bought a great player , with experience in premier and champions league will become a champion . excellent technique , great race , able to cover both the offensive and the difensive phases .. and last but not least, he is a serious boy (not a Balotelli....). Go Matteo , good luck .. and when in CL you will play against Juv***us .. destroy, as you did already this year
The more I read from the fans there, the happier I am with our new (soon) signing.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups

The more I read from the fans there, the happier I am with our new (soon) signing.
Sounds very promising.

MDFC Manager

Promote them both, especially the first guy, for his articulation and using the word 'sagacity'!

Status
Not open for further replies.