Matteo Darmian: 'Rashford can reach Mbappé level and win Ballon d'Or'

Stacks

In fairness, I think Rashford as a young kid had a lot of potential to at least be close to Mbappe level. He just developed pretty poorly.

When he first joined the first team he was a hard worker who couldn't stop running his arse off every game. He started sulking at the end of Mourinho's reign and our fans of course supported it, and blamed Mourinho for giving him defensive duties. Then Ole came and gave Rashford full power in the team, followed by him getting the number 10 for reasons I don't understand personally. That's when Rashford's ego reached the floor and it became impossible to control him.
At what ages was this? By 19 Mbappe was destroying the CL and his domestic league on course to a league title. Rashford always was a purple patch guy or "play bad but have good stats" through moments. I always saw him as a Pedro level potential as opposed to a great like Mbappe

Based Adnan

In fairness, I think Rashford as a young kid had a lot of potential to at least be close to Mbappe level. He just developed pretty poorly.
Mbappe was getting £30m bids for him at 16. Rashford wasn't close to that level of potential.

el3mel

At what ages was this? By 19 Mbappe was destroying the CL and his domestic league on course to a league title. Rashford always was a purple patch guy or "play bad but have good stats" through moments. I always saw him as a Pedro level potential as opposed to a great like Mbappe
Kinda an unfair comparison, considering Rashford started his career in a clusterfeck of a team under Van Gaal who were playing in EL, followed by Mourinho who was starting to rebuild the team in his own views. Meanwhile Mbappe started in a golden generation with Monaco before moving to a dominant force in their league (PSG).

Hoof the ball

Critical observers of Rashford were always able to analyse his game outside of his goals and make a distinction between his scoring feats and his general performances. That includes last season, for the record.

RoyH1

Agree. He's a very good player but never a great one. That doesn't mean a good player cannot have great games, but at the end of the day he's simply not a consistent forward threat.

Best thing for him now is to reinvent himself somewhere else where he doesn't have the pressure of being the "next big United product"

Stacks

Kinda an unfair comparison, considering Rashford started his career in a clusterfeck of a team under Van Gaal who were playing in EL, followed by Mourinho who was starting to rebuild the team in his own views. Meanwhile Mbappe started in a golden generation with Monaco before moving to a dominant force in their league (PSG).
that Monaco team is being overrated I feel. Their lead striker was our former player who was nothing here

el3mel

that Monaco team is being overrated I feel. Their lead striker was our former player who was nothing here
Falcao joined us just after recovering from an ACL team. It was the wrong time for him to join a league with such intensity.