Matteo Darmian: 'Rashford can reach Mbappé level and win Ballon d'Or'

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyway, I am not saying Lewandowski and Haaland isn't great this season, but to draw conclusion based on 6 or 7 games is abit, you know.

And again, for the 3rd or 4th time today, I do think Mbappe is the best young player in the world, over past few seasons. But Rashford is great too, I mean, he is one of best best forward in Premierleague this season too.
The only reason I did that is because you have been saying how poor Ligue 1 is compared to the PL. I set out a scenario that shows that Mbappe is clearly capable of doing it at higher levels and his record is much better than Rashfords at that higher level.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The only reason I did that is because you have been saying how poor Ligue 1 is compared to the PL. I set out a scenario that shows that Mbappe is clearly capable of doing it at higher levels and his record is much better than Rashfords at that higher level.
Why does the bother you? Ligue 1 is poorer if compared to Premierleague, nothing wrong with saying that. If Mbappe wants to be the best in the world, just like Messi or Ronaldo, he has to play elsewhere. Just look at Neymar, he was among the best in the world in Barca, but ever since he moved to PSG (well along with his injuries), he didn't quite match the same height anymore. But yes back to Mbappe, he does shine at WC and CL too, no one question about his quality.

Stacks

No, I'm telling you that Mbappé goals in Europe follow the same trend, he is an elite goalscorer in CL too. I literally told you that you could dismiss is L1 goals.
So that’s literally what I’ve said too, majority of goals he scored this season is L1 goals. To compare this season, there not much difference between the two.
Fair enough, I know it is the french league but he does seem to love scoring goals.

Lets be honest, we all know Mbappe will score loads of goals whichever league he will play at and he will be a marquee player in every team.

I judge it this way, ask any fan of the top teams, will they take Mbappe, the answer will be a solid yes.

Ask them will they take Rashford? You will have Madrid, City, Pool fans all thinking hmm maybe not.
I think the bold bit sums it up. Its like the Neymar argument. People talk about him paying in a farmers league etc but the truth is Neymar has destroyed every level he has played in, from Brazil to France to international because he is a marquee talent. Neymar Barcelona goal contributions are actually higher in the higher standard Spainish league than in Brazil. He is just as effective in France as he was in Spain. with these players it doesn't matter where they play. You think Mbappe couldn't outscore Vardy? Kun has a goal every 88 minutes

cyberman

But whats a higher level? For Mbappe it is CL games but Rashford regularly plays against those top sides every week in England and has a fantastic record in doing so. Its not as if Mbappe is tearing Madrid and Barca a new one every tie. No PSG player covers himself in glory against the elite of Europe.
I understand the fact Mbappe is rated higher but Rashford has a ridiculous record in big games.

mancan92

Until this season rashford has been an up and down talent. One half a season of good form doesn't make him near mbappe who since he has entered pro football has been one of the best players in the world let alone one of the best young players. There's just not really a comparison really looking at both their bodies of work.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think the bold bit sums it up. Its like the Neymar argument. People talk about him paying in a farmers league etc but the truth is Neymar has destroyed every level he has played in, from Brazil to France to international because he is a marquee talent. Neymar Barcelona goal contributions are actually higher in the higher standard Spainish league than in Brazil. He is just as effective in France as he was in Spain. with these players it doesn't matter where they play. You think Mbappe couldn't outscore Vardy? Kun has a goal every 88 minutes
I think you miss the point. No one said Mbappe isn’t great, it’s just that his stats in Ligue 1 has makes the gap between him and Rashford appears bigger than actual this season, which is fair point.

There are players in premierleague who outscore him in CL and WC too (Salah, Kane, Agüero etc). And Rashford is playing at that same level this season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The basis for this Darmian quote is the season Rashford was having prior to the injury. But the stats tell you one thing, and actually watching the two player tells you another. Could Rashford be able to put up the numbers Mbappe does? Maybe, someday but even this season I don't think he's there, or the next. But I think he can get in that area of what Mbappe is doing now. But Mbappe is improving at a far quicker rate than Rashford, and the Mbappe of 2-3 years ago is better than the Rashford of today still. The thing with Rashford is that he is extremely dedicated to his craft, he finally has a coach who fully believes in him, and he is now the center focus of the team, and in Martial he has a forward that will put him in good situations, hence the season he had (especially when Martial returned). He's finally in good conditions to improve and this is where his career becomes exciting to follow.

Mbappe really has yet to have a team built around him, he almost never takes penalties or free-kicks, and for a solid half of his career at PSG he has been second to third fiddle at times, so whenever he does move to a tougher league, it will be by a select very few clubs who could afford him, and the team will most likely be built around him. That club will probably be one of the best clubs in their league, so I don't think his transition will be very difficult. It's easy to use examples of X or Y player moving to a tougher league and try to draw anything out of it, but I think special players like Mbappe (or Neymar) will always be on dominant teams and wreck wherever they go.

I fully expect Mbappe, barring injury, to have CR7/Messi like seasons stat-wise once he moves to a team and is the focal point of the offense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I fully expect Mbappe, barring injury, to have CR7/Messi like seasons stat-wise once he moves to a team and is the focal point of the offense.
I think it depends, when a player becomes focal point of the team, he will get more attention from opponents defenders and attracts more man marking too. It could work for him or work against him. Let’s see.

Rolaholic

Always liked this guy, Im glad he caught on at Inter and has done really well for himself back home.

He was spot on with his prediction here :lol:

Red Star One

If we anyhow win Premier League and Rashford scores another 10 league goals, he should be in Ballon d’Or top3

Remember the geese

1 - Mbappe
2- Haaland Lewandowski Kane
3 - Vinicius Jnr Mane
4 - Rashford

I'm not sure if Neymar and Messi should be in 2 or 3
Level 2 appears to be a centre forwards only club. From what you're saying, Rashford is two levels below Mbappe with only Vinicius Jnr and Mane above him. I haven't seen much of those two this season, but I can't imagine they have been better than Rashford.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The premier league is not the definitive decider of the Balon D'or
No it isn't but Rashford as 3rd is fair shout, we all know that Messi will win it and Mbappe will be second

Alek M

Da manic one
He has the potential. Two conditions need to be met:

He needs to show consistency for a whole season.

Dragging us this season to Europa win and top of the table by next December or

Us winning epl this season.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Mbappe is a class act but will he ever reach that truly great level hanging around at PSG, on a progression level i was disappointing in him not moving on last summer

IhabX7

On current form he’s up there with the very best. He’s scoring almost every match now, most of them cracking goals to boot.