Matthijs de Ligt | Bayern Munich

lex talionis

We’ll see how much or little De Ligt is utilized by May. Unlikely he’ll rot on the bench but you never know.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's funny about De Ligt. Outsiders (i.e., people that don't really follow the clubs he plays for) often talk of him as he's a bit of a failure and really not living up to his potential; but from what I understand fans at Juve were really happy with him (after a slow start), and so apparently he's been great at Bayern as well (which I think also took a little time at the start?). I think I'll trust those clubs' fans, and will agree with @bosnian_red that he'd be great for United if he can play in Varane's position.
He settled in rather quickly and by the time the WC rolled around he had cemented himself as a leader and one of our top performers.
This season he missed a chunk of pre-season with injury and looked horribly slow in the Supercup, but that alone is hardly reason enough to only play him like half an hour in total over the following 6 matches. I really don't get it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've never been impressed by him.

At Ajax, de Jong was the only world class talent, and, as far as their defence went, Blind was carrying him.

At Juve, he was a disaster. I watched every game Arthur played and he made routine mistakes.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Who would this guy replace of you bought him? Varane or Martinez?
Varane, although i suspect it'd be easier for him to play alongside the Frenchman than Martinez. Similarly, i suspect that him stepping into the spotlight in the season where Blind was his partner at the back wasn't a coincidence.

FriedClams

At Ajax, de Jong was the only world class talent, and, as far as their defence went, Blind was carrying him.

At Juve, he was a disaster. I watched every game Arthur played and he made routine mistakes.
This is revisionist nonsense. There were times when he was sensational.

RVN1991

Opinion on him seems to be all over the place, some claiming he was Bayern's best player last season, others claiming he's been shit since leaving Ajax, which one is it? Not going to pretend to have watched much of him other than the odd CL game since he left Ajax.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Truth lies neither here or there, he hasn't exactly fulfilled his potential but he's been pretty decent, both for juve and for bayern too from what I've seen.

Stadjer

Everything in this post is wrong.

De Ligt was very young and a hugely important part of Ajax almost reaching the CL final. That did make him a world class talent at that point. No defenders of his age were as good as he was at that time. Blind is slow and weak, he isnt very good at defending at all. He isnt carrying anyone in defense. Blind is fantastic on the ball. The real defending was done by de Ligt. Blind and de Ligt had the type of partnership that Blind also had with Smalling. One (de Ligt/Smalling) is good at defending and taking a striker out of the game. The other one (Blind) is smart and good at starting an attack.

He had a unlucky start at Juventus with all the hand balls. After that he became quite good for them. He didnt become ''best defender in the world' but he also wasnt a disaster.

The only time de Ligt is a disaster is when he is playing in a back 3 or 5.

Doesn't this young man have dead pace though, an obvious problem for him in this league of ours.
It was never really an issue at Ajax and Ajax players are known for, and supposed to, play with space behind them. He seems to have become slower and less agile though, maybe he 'bulked up' too much? De Ligt isnt at Harry Maguire levels of immobile and de Ligt certainly is smarter at picking positions but he doesnt really have great pace and agility anymore.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Astounded Upamecano gets in ahead of him. He always seems like an accident waiting to happen when I ever watch him, is Upa just faster? I saw an tweet saying the issue is with De Ligts lack of progressive passing, but never thought that was ever Upa's strength.

The_Midfielder

Is he better than Varane ? Martinez? Lindelof ?
Can we get anybody better than him ? How much will he cost ? Do we have the money ?
Can we buy him after selling Maguire and lindelof? Is he an upgrade on what we have ?

Rome wasn't built in a day..
We need to make these kind of decisions

Stadjer

Astounded Upamecano gets in ahead of him. He always seems like an accident waiting to happen when I ever watch him, is Upa just faster? I saw an tweet saying the issue is with De Ligts lack of progressive passing, but never thought that was ever Upa's strength.
Upamecano had some mistakes at bad times, that kinda ruined the perception of him but i dont actually think Upamecano is a bad defender. Even as a Dutch person, im not suprised or find it strange that he does keep de Ligt out of the team.

jesperjaap

I havent seen enogh of him at Jiventus to judge him there, when I have see him for Bayern he ha sbeen good but not exceptional....so maybe he hasnt quite fulfilled the initial talent so far...and that intial talent was being a world class teenage centre back that everybody wanted to sign. DeLight ad DJong were both exceptional at Ajax, wold agree that others there were massively over rated, but not DeLight at the time, sorry that is nonsense, especially beign carried by Blind....like....what?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Upamecano had some mistakes at bad times, that kinda ruined the perception of him but i dont actually think Upamecano is a bad defender. Even as a Dutch person, im not suprised or find it strange that he does keep de Ligt out of the team.
Fair enough, I probably don't know enough about either and a little biased based on those mistakes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair enough, I probably don't know enough about either and a little biased based on those mistakes.
That's because you saw him have absolute nightmares with France. :lol:

Whcih if we are honest were likely caused by nerves, Saliba has done mistakes and he is a pretty good player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That's because you saw him have absolute nightmares with France. :lol:

Whcih if we are honest were likely caused by nerves, Saliba has done mistakes and he is a pretty good player.
Leipzig too and the odd one for Bayern!

But you're right, I've seen way more of Saliba, so can let him off more. Bit of a negative bias with Upa.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
sign him up and he can eventually replace Varane

Laurencio

It was never really an issue at Ajax and Ajax players are known for, and supposed to, play with space behind them. He seems to have become slower and less agile though, maybe he 'bulked up' too much? De Ligt isnt at Harry Maguire levels of immobile and de Ligt certainly is smarter at picking positions but he doesnt really have great pace and agility anymore.
I hate to point this out, but this is exactly the reason why our recruitment department advised against signing him from Ajax in the first place. They claimed that he was bound to become slower and less agile when he bulked up.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-missed-out-matthijs-15063828

GueRed

He was my first choice Centre-Back to replace Smalling back in 2019.
How has he fared since then? Still a transfer option? Apart from the Champions League I barely watch any European Football these days

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I loved him at Ajax and desperately wanted us to sign him before he went to Juve. I thought he was the statement signing we needed, a brilliant, commanding leader to build around. Now? Not so much.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Everything in this post is wrong.

De Ligt was very young and a hugely important part of Ajax almost reaching the CL final. That did make him a world class talent at that point. No defenders of his age were as good as he was at that time. Blind is slow and weak, he isnt very good at defending at all. He isnt carrying anyone in defense. Blind is fantastic on the ball. The real defending was done by de Ligt. Blind and de Ligt had the type of partnership that Blind also had with Smalling. One (de Ligt/Smalling) is good at defending and taking a striker out of the game. The other one (Blind) is smart and good at starting an attack.

He had a unlucky start at Juventus with all the hand balls. After that he became quite good for them. He didnt become ''best defender in the world' but he also wasnt a disaster.

The only time de Ligt is a disaster is when he is playing in a back 3 or 5.

Nice analysis

Re: Maguire, SlubHead's main problem, as a defender, is not just that he is slow (albeit it is a problem in EtH system) but he is a disaster that he is because he has zero awareness of what is going on around him. Zero.

De Light doesn't suffer from being a virtually "blind" defender, as far as I know.

That said, I don't like him for us at all. Kim was ideal for us, but we had no money to sign him :(

izec

He is still a good defender, but he definitely bulked up too much and lost some of that agility and pace he had at Ajax

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Probably telling that we were after Pavard this summer rather than him
Pavard wanted a new challenge, de Ligt wanted to further establish himself as Bayern's defense leader. It was pretty clear who was open for a transfer and who wasn't, also it was pretty clear that the transfer fee would be 50-60m higher IF Bayern would have been willing to sell de Ligt.

Not being after de Ligt doesn't mean that United doesn't rate him, as there are these factors to consider when thinking about a transfer.

JB7

I hope we stay well clear. I’m getting bored of this ‘Ajax only’ transfer policy.
Is that the same "Ajax only" policy that has seen 3 of the 16 players we've signed over the past two years previously play for Ajax?