Matthijs de Ligt | Bayern Munich

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Kostov

How exactly does it make sense to claim we overpaid for a player who hasn‘t even played for us yet? In what world can you seriously judge the value of something you haven‘t even used?
One of the dumbest takes on here that is. Everything has a value in this world, that's why you need competent people to not pay a price for a Fiat Punto when the neighbor buys a Merc for a slightly bigger fee.

Most other teams are. Bayern is just on another level.

But let’s not forget that they spent over 200 million on CB’s over the last 3 years (Hernandez, Upamecano, De Ligt). No other team on this planet did that.

At least they got some quality..
They have spent a lot of money on CBs, so have we. They have the trio you mentioned and we have Maguire, Varane and Martinez.

Gums

One of the dumbest takes on here that is. Everything has a value in this world, that's why you need competent people to not pay a price for a Fiat Punto when the neighbor buys a Merc for a slightly bigger fee.
Quality post, mate. Keep up the good work.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Any news on the wages? He was already on insane wages at Juventus, as per reports he was earning 8 million + 4 million net.
Nothing concrete, but the mentioned wages a week or so ago were €17m gross (around GBP 275k pw) if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Kostov

Quality post, mate. Keep up the good work.
I am sorry, did not mean to offend you.

My point about you naive take is this, there are lots of things in everyday life for you and me, which we haven't tried yes? But we do know the value. It's partly due to common sense, and then the circumstances and standing point from which you want to tale a look at it.

De Ligt is the biggest CB talents in the last 10-20 years, younger and more experienced, imo much better than Martinez and also bought from Juventus (who are not a selling club like Ajax, they are higher in the food chain) yet they get him for that fee compared to what we are paying for what potentially we are getting.

Then you have Kounde and the rumored 60m euros fee, PSG refusing to pay more than 50m for Skriniar, and Bremer going for less. These are all factors for the market.

Donut

He looks like a prettier version of the UFC fighter Gustaffson.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

But let’s not forget that they spent over 200 million on CB’s over the last 3 years (Hernandez, Upamecano, De Ligt). No other team on this planet did that.

Maguire vs Hernandez
Varane vs Upamecano
Martinez vs Deligt
Would be interested in knowing how their transfer fees compare

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I am sorry, did not mean to offend you.

My point about you naive take is this, there are lots of things in everyday life for you and me, which we haven't tried yes? But we do know the value. It's partly due to common sense, and then the circumstances and standing point from which you want to tale a look at it.

De Ligt is the biggest CB talents in the last 10-20 years, younger and more experienced, imo much better than Martinez and also bought from Juventus (who are not a selling club like Ajax, they are higher in the food chain) yet they get him for that fee compared to what we are paying for what potentially we are getting.

Then you have Kounde and the rumored 60m euros fee, PSG refusing to pay more than 50m for Skriniar, and Bremer going for less. These are all factors for the market.
This is not even remotely the same thing. The value of players reveals itself on the pitch. If De Ligt has a terrible first season, and Martinez is one the best CBs in the PL, then what?

This is Football Manager/FIFA logic at its finest.

Kostov

This is not even remotely the same thing. The value of players reveals itself on the pitch. If De Ligt has a terrible first season, and Martinez is one the best CBs in the PL, then what?

This is Football Manager/FIFA logic at its finest.
Then let’s go spend 80m euros on Tadic, his value might reveal itself on the pitch, since why the feck not he is also instrumental in ETH system? While City get Haaland for the same fee.

Chief123

We've spent virtually the same. Maguire, Varane, Martinez alone cost around 170-180m. Add Bailly, Lindelof and AWB and that's another 110m.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A ban for what? What is the quality of
the replies from the guy who quoted my reply? Quality control mate, fair play.
You've accumulated 6 warnings. 9 active warning points.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I bet you will make sure I get the 15 needed as soon as possible, mate.
The warnings given were spread amongst other mods. This was my first. No, I don't have an agenda. Reflect on your posting is all I am saying.

RopersReturn

We missed a valuable opportunity by not adding de Ligt to our shopping list. Terrifically talented individual.

Kostov

The warnings given were spread amongst other mods. This was my first. No, I don't have an agenda. Reflect on your posting is all I am saying.
I am sure I have done some bad posting and I have no problem admitting it. This one however is laughable.

TsuWave

We missed a valuable opportunity by not adding de Ligt to our shopping list. Terrifically talented individual.
We don’t have CL and have not won major trophies in a while. We’re a hard sell at the moment

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
We don’t have CL and have not won major trophies in a while. We’re a hard sell at the moment
You also have a comparable player in Maguire. In my opinion this type of CB (de Ligt, Maguire) needs to be partnered with a more agile (Hernandez, Martinez/Varane) one.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Then let’s go spend 80m euros on Tadic, his value might reveal itself on the pitch, since why the feck not he is also instrumental in ETH system? While City get Haaland for the same fee.
That's unrealistic, but we can use that as an example regardless. If United paid 80m euros for Tadic or any other player, regardless of how ridiculous you think the transfer fee is until he plays nobody can say United overpaid or underpaid. Like I said before, this is not FM or FIFA. There are no number ratings that you can immediately point to, so until a player exceeds or falls short of expectations, it's silly to make these claims.

Kostov

That's unrealistic, but we can use that as an example regardless. If United paid 80m euros for Tadic or any other player, regardless of how ridiculous you think the transfer fee is until he plays nobody can say United overpaid or underpaid. Like I said before, this is not FM or FIFA. There are no number ratings that you can immediately point to, so until a player exceeds or falls short of expectations, it's silly to make these claims.
We’ll that’s not true and here our opinions don’t match. If we let’s say pay 80m for Tadic, no way in hell he is worth to us even if he scores 20 goals. Why? Because you can get someone to score 20 goals but cost much less. And please stop mentioning that Fifa line, players have estimated value outside of Fifa, that is why they get different salaries and clubs pay what they pay to get them, the problem being we have failed in this regard countless times before.

Edit: For example, I often uste transfermarkt as a reference:

De Ligt is valued at 70m euros, Kounde at 60m, Martinez at 32m…

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
We’ll that’s not true and here our opinions don’t match. If we let’s say pay 80m for Tadic, no way in hell he is worth to us even if he scores 20 goals. Why? Because you can get someone to score 20 goals but cost much less. And please stop mentioning that Fifa line, players have estimated value outside of Fifa, that is why they get different salaries and clubs pay what they pay to get them, the problem being we have failed in this regard countless times before.

What's not true? You're just throwing out random, unrealistic scenarios. Well, what if Tadic scores 50 goals? That's as unrealistic as United paying 80M for him.

Transfermarkt is nothing but an estimation. It's not a stock market with an actual two-way price quotation. Even sillier to bring that up.

devil99

What did De ligt and Kounde achieve which is not achieved by Martinez?

TheReligion

Abusive
Aye, every thread these days, even ones that have next to nothing to do with United, has posters in them moaning about the club. It’s tiresome.
The mods are clamping down a bit I feel as it’s at the point you can’t escape it as you say.

I don’t really understand what people get out of it really.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The mods are clamping down a bit I feel as it’s at the point you can’t escape it as you say.

I don’t really understand what people get out of it really.
Aargh, happy to hear that the mods are doing something about it.

Anyway, not to derail this thread. De Ligt should be a good signing for them. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the champions league this season.