Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

We are not getting him. There's literally no chance.
There is always a chance where Raiola is concerned. We are that leaches meal ticket. He probably looks at us smells the desperation and fear and knows he can milk us for more than any other team whilst getting a massive bonus for his work and then try and move him on in a few years to a Barca, Madrid, PSG or something where he can get another tidy bonus of like 30mil.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If his heart isn't set on us then it will be a bad move and another player moving for the cash.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Raiola sending him here is just a way of ensure he can make more money when he tries to engineer a move to Barca in a few years time

It could be worth the risk though as CB's are never going to be a high priority to the big Spanish sides, they'll always try and sign players in those positions for 'peanuts' so they may have moved onto other targets by then

I still expect him to go Barca now though, we're not allowed nice things at Man Utd :(

Wallez

Surely we have to do anything possible to land De Ligt this summer. He will probably move on to Barca in a few years, but if we can get 3 years with a fantastic CB and move him on for profit it would still be a great deal for us. De Ligt is no primadonna, he is self-motivated and will work 100% to perform at his top level and develop as a player, even with inevitable rumors of Real and Barca if he comes to United and develop into a world class CB. He is a natural leader and has a mentality we need more of in the squad. He would also set an example to our academy players of the dedication and hard work that is needed to make it at the top level.

Robertd0803

Do whatever it takes to sign him now. And on the grounds he will end up at Barca at some point in minimum 2 years anyway spend that time scouting and signing up a replacement.

At least if hes with us he may end up wanting to stay longer.

(Talk about grasping at straws)

BlueHaze

Surely we have to do anything possible to land De Ligt this summer. He will probably move on to Barca in a few years, but if we can get 3 years with a fantastic CB and move him on for profit it would still be a great deal for us. De Ligt is no primadonna, he is self-motivated and will work 100% to perform at his top level and develop as a player, even with inevitable rumors of Real and Barca if he comes to United and develop into a world class CB. He is a natural leader and has a mentality we need more of in the squad. He would also set an example to our academy players of the dedication and hard work that is needed to make it at the top level.
Obviously. But it's getting his signature that will be the problem. With Barca wanting him there is literally no reason to join us ahead of them except if we offer significantly higher wages but I don't think he's that type of person. He said himself he lives for the big games that comes with CL football..

Wallez

@BlueHaze We can provide him with a better chance of playing time. He would instantly become our nr. 1 CB, but I am not so sure that he would in Barca. They already have fantastic CBs in Pique, Umtiti and Lenglet, and I think they see him as a long-term replacement of Pique who is still going strong. Similarly, I don't think Frenkie De Jong will walk into the starting 11 as he probably is a long-term replacement of Busquets. In addition, we would be more willing to give Raiola a solid piece of the cake than Barca. I am not saying that it will be easy to land the deal, but signing the biggest talents in the world will never be an easy task. For instance, I think it would be more difficult for us to sign Sancho than De Ligt this summer, and a lot of people seem confident that we will sign Sancho.

sp_107

Riola wants to sell him to UTD, as he wants more agent fees and on top of that he doesnt want to sell his client to Barcelona based on wrong statements about Riola by Barca in the past

Same time Ajax coach want him to choose EPL over Laliga as the league is competitive and he can become a better defender

I was irritated when you guys on redcafe still want him despite Barca's interest and player too interested but now I genuinely believe we got a chance as Ed has good relation with Riola and he might get more money on Pogba(If Pogba wants) too by shipping him to Madrid by being nice to UTD

Only question is how much player will be motivated by coming into a place he didn't want in first place ?

Di Maria springs into my mind

What you guys think ? Half hearted Delegit OR a somemone decent who is fully turned on by UTD?

Isn't like dating second best by thinking about missing your first choice all the time?

Last edited:
He seems more of a Bayern player than a Barca one,to me.
Still,he's a absolute monster of a CB and shows maturity way beyond his age.
Instant captain material too.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Riola wants to sell him to UTD, as he wants more agent fees and on top of that he doesnt want to sell his client to Barcelona based on wrong statements about Riola by Barca in the past

Same time Ajax coach want him to choose EPL over Laliga as the league is competitive and he can become a better defender

I was irritated when you guys on redcafe still want him despite Barca's interest and player too interested but now I genuinely believe we got a chance as Ed has good relation with Riola and he might get more money Pogba(If Pogba wants) too by shipping him to Madrid by being nice to UTD

Only question is how much player will be motivated by coming into a place he didn't want in first place ?

What you guys think ? Half hearted Delegit OR a somemone decent who is fully turned on by UTD?
I think of the Dutch posters has been saying for a while that De Ligt loves English Football and studies a lot of the great PL defenders and does not have much interest in Spanish Football.

Zes

I was irritated when you guys on redcafe still want him despite Barca's interest and player too interested but now I genuinely believe we got a chance as Ed has good relation with Riola and he might get more money on Pogba(If Pogba wants) too by shipping him to Madrid by being nice to UTD

Isn't like dating second best by thinking about missing your first choice all the time?
Errr... you know Raiola doesn't just get to decide where De Ligt goes? :lol: Only De Ligt himself does. Besides he's not even his agent.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why the feck didn't we buy this lad three years ago when we played them in the EL?

I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason - but i'll still be irrationally annoyed by it.

Wallez

@Zes I am pretty sure that Raiola is his current agent, replacing his former agent Barry Hulshoff. In an interview with Tuttosport before their game against Juventus he said "We’ll see at the right moment, but now I am focused on Ajax and not my future. My agent Mino Raiola is taking care of that". https://www.90min.com/posts/6332365...ecide-his-future-as-barcelona-juventus-circle

Of course De Ligt has the final decision in where he eventually goes, but Raiola will have the communication and negotiation of his personal deal with the buying club and will hence have a strong saying in where he goes.

soapythecat

Top player who has all attributes to become a really top class player. That said, I doubt United under this current climate would/will get him.
He looks set for a club in the CL who will be challenging for honours - we won't for some time.
He would cost a huge amount (Lets say, 80m). United need to spend what we have wisely - not big outlays on one player. We need to build, not be stupid. I can't see us spending more that 100m this summer.
And, i doubt he would want to come to us at the moment. A club that struggles to get top 4, is way behind the top teams in the league and got embarrassed by Barca in the CL. And to play for a manager who has no credible experience - who are we trying to kid?
There are many good young players we should be looking at to get us out of our rut before this lad, unfortunately.

A-man

@BlueHaze We can provide him with a better chance of playing time. He would instantly become our nr. 1 CB, but I am not so sure that he would in Barca. They already have fantastic CBs in Pique, Umtiti and Lenglet, and I think they see him as a long-term replacement of Pique who is still going strong. Similarly, I don't think Frenkie De Jong will walk into the starting 11 as he probably is a long-term replacement of Busquets. In addition, we would be more willing to give Raiola a solid piece of the cake than Barca. I am not saying that it will be easy to land the deal, but signing the biggest talents in the world will never be an easy task. For instance, I think it would be more difficult for us to sign Sancho than De Ligt this summer, and a lot of people seem confident that we will sign Sancho.
I was thinking about that as well. Could Barca have four CBs of that high level and think they would accept to sit on the bench? And would that be good for De Ligt? He is already at the level where he should start every match.

If they get De Ligt there might be possibility to buy Umtiti from them.

Bloedrood

I think of the Dutch posters has been saying for a while that De Ligt loves English Football and studies a lot of the great PL defenders and does not have much interest in Spanish Football.
He does study Ramos aswell, said earlier this season he really likes watching him and considers him to be the best defender and a role model. But also Piqué, also calls him one of his role models and likens himself to him in style. Also studies and really likes some Italian defenders. I think his comment about English football might be blown out of proprotion a bit. I think if you ask him about preferred clubs instead of competition there's little doubt that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus will be among them too, but he has said that Barcelona is his favourite club in Spain and suits him most because of the way they play. With De Jong also going there, there's no doubt he'll seriously consider going there if he can.

Last edited:

Pav1878

Top player who has all attributes to become a really top class player. That said, I doubt United under this current climate would/will get him.
He looks set for a club in the CL who will be challenging for honours - we won't for some time.
He would cost a huge amount (Lets say, 80m). United need to spend what we have wisely - not big outlays on one player. We need to build, not be stupid. I can't see us spending more that 100m this summer.
And, i doubt he would want to come to us at the moment. A club that struggles to get top 4, is way behind the top teams in the league and got embarrassed by Barca in the CL. And to play for a manager who has no credible experience - who are we trying to kid?
There are many good young players we should be looking at to get us out of our rut before this lad, unfortunately.
I agree we are not the most attractive option at this stage but if it is the 80M you stated then that is a bargain for this player and one I think we should jump on if we have a chance.

We will definitely spend over 100M in transfers this season. Ole has already said we need serveral first team players and these days you don't get several players for less than 100m

soapythecat

I agree we are not the most attractive option at this stage but if it is the 80M you stated then that is a bargain for this player and one I think we should jump on if we have a chance.

We will definitely spend over 100M in transfers this season. Ole has already said we need serveral first team players and these days you don't get several players for less than 100m
I love your optimism pal, but I don't see us spending much more than 100m. If we do, we will have to sell and aside from Pogba and DDG, I don't see how we can raise much. Our players stock is pretty low I would have thought and interest will be minimal due to wages.
Let's see - I'd love to be proved wrong.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I love your optimism pal, but I don't see us spending much more than 100m. If we do, we will have to sell and aside from Pogba and DDG, I don't see how we can raise much. Our players stock is pretty low I would have thought and interest will be minimal due to wages.
Let's see - I'd love to be proved wrong.
Why?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
@Zes I am pretty sure that Raiola is his current agent, replacing his former agent Barry Hulshoff. In an interview with Tuttosport before their game against Juventus he said "We’ll see at the right moment, but now I am focused on Ajax and not my future. My agent Mino Raiola is taking care of that". https://www.90min.com/posts/6332365...ecide-his-future-as-barcelona-juventus-circle

Of course De Ligt has the final decision in where he eventually goes, but Raiola will have the communication and negotiation of his personal deal with the buying club and will hence have a strong saying in where he goes.
He didn't replace him

"Barry is who I confide in, a sort of football father. Before, he mostly helped me on a football technical level and he was my only agent, now he's more of a mental mentor. Now Mino Raiola is also my agent, together with Barry. They're opposites. it's nice to have advice from two sides."
so yeah Raiola is more involved than I think most would have liked. Doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on De Ligt's decisions or behaviour so far though

Bwuk

He'll end up at Barcelona but I'd be happy to chuck 100m at Ajax to get him.

He's the real deal. He'd improve our defence leaps and bounds. He's the sort of player who raises everyone around hims level.

steakpie

£175m on him and Sancho, and a couple of other young talented cheaper signings. And clear the deadwood. Then we would be ready for next season.

ravi2

I was thinking about that as well. Could Barca have four CBs of that high level and think they would accept to sit on the bench? And would that be good for De Ligt? He is already at the level where he should start every match.

If they get De Ligt there might be possibility to buy Umtiti from them.
I think this is the best case scenario for us, it makes zero sense for De Ligt to choose United over Barca at this stage. Umtiti would do the job for us I reckon

Roboc7

There’s no chance of this happening, same with Sancho, even if they did want to join it would be our whole budget on two players and you’d still have Young at RB.

We’d be better off spending 200m on 4-5 players rather than 2, in our current situation at least.

Shame because he looks like a special player, expect he will go to Barcelona but have a horrible feeling could end up at Liverpool.

nycender

Any chance he ends up at Pool to pair VVD? That is the stuff of nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.