Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't mind us giving Axel a big chance.

Great if we can get De Ligt but we shouldn't be comparing his situation with VVD or any other team trying to improve with lesser profile players with regards to LVG's thoughts on where de Ligt should go. Southampton weren't courting all the big clubs for VVD, it was a PL signing that Southampton rightly demanded a big fee for and turned out well for Liverpool, they did their homework.
I don't see any hype in Axel. Worried he's just bigged up on the caf because he's an academy lad. From what I've seen he's decent defensively but always looks terribly awkward playing out from the back.

MUFC OK

Why do people keep saying this? There are actually more rumors that he is coming to us than he isn't. And feck the tiers. They're all shots in the dark until it's already done.
Why would he? The challenge of taking a clueless sleeping giant back to somewhere near where it belongs? I’d love to be proven wrong but agree with some others that if the scousers came in and matched our bid, let alone any of the clubs I mentioned before, then you really couldn’t blame the boy.

nesty

I will be genuinely shocked if he signs for us. No Champions league. No identity. Squad full of average players. Clueless CEO. Glazers.

He will be off to Bayern or Barca.

#Believe

VanGaalEra

King muppet is back after a few days off this thread!

Expect mupperty news incoming :drool:

Fridge chutney

Liverpool will likely sign him.

Today Liverpool shot to 3rd favourite to sign De Ligt according to bookies while Barca and United both experienced worsening odds.

redshaw

We should exit the Harrods store, skip past Waitrose and have a look in Tesco, Aldi or Lidl, you sometimes see good stuff in there.

Irrational.

Seems like bullshit, but if he does end up at Pool, I think I'm going to call this transfer window, and possibly the next season a write off.

Just a slight exaggeration

Womp

idiot
Seems like bullshit, but if he does end up at Pool, I think I'm going to call this transfer window, and possibly the next season a write off.

Just a slight exaggeration
You would probably have to write off a few seasons after that too.

BlueHaze

Don't even want to think about him and Van Dijk together at that already super strong Liverpool side. Anywhere but there for christ sakes.

hobbers

I don't see Klopp pushing for a huge wack of his transfer budget to be spent on a CB. Not with Matip and Gomez there.

Sterling Archer

Why would he? The challenge of taking a clueless sleeping giant back to somewhere near where it belongs? I’d love to be proven wrong but agree with some others that if the scousers came in and matched our bid, let alone any of the clubs I mentioned before, then you really couldn’t blame the boy.
Liverpool , City, even Wolves I would believe based on what we've heard straight from De Ligts mouth.

The ones dismissing him coming to United were saying he's going exclusively outside the Premier League. I think the kid and Raiola both know that Serie A and France are well beneath him.

Scholsey2004

Liverpool , City, even Wolves I would believe based on what we've heard straight from De Ligts mouth.

The ones dismissing him coming to United were saying he's going exclusively outside the Premier League. I think the kid and Raiola both know that Serie A and France are well beneath him.
Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti didn't think they were too big for ligue 1. I'm not convinced he'd go to Italy though if he's turning down Barca for wages. I doubt Italian sides pay huge wages.

Sterling Archer

Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti didn't think they were too big for ligue 1. I'm not convinced he'd go to Italy though if he's turning down Barca for wages. I doubt Italian sides pay huge wages.
Neymar is an example of why the ligue 1 is a stepping stone for any professional with actual ambition. His career since joining PSG is an absolute joke. Likewise Verrati, who has the added ignominy of not even attending and showcasing his talent in the last World Cup.

Mbappe's move was probably timed okay. He is so young and has a big future ahead of him. If he stays more than another season then I'd question things.

I mean c'mon. PSG is just a graveyard of talent with a sprinkle of domestic titles. Their European disasters emphasize that. It's a bloody shame that such a ferocious striker from Napoli has spent the rest of his days there instead of spearheading one of the Spanish big two or even top 4 in England. Likewise Ibra wasted his chance at getting a CL by staying there...but that move was more about money than ambition. The global exposure in those leagues is just too far ahead and likewise the competitions themselves.

Jeez a team of kids from the eredevise just went further in the CL than and French side in over 15 years.

Serie A is ahead of ligue 1 for me, mostly from nostalgia. Again there's just not enough money there from broadcasts and I do feel like the match fixing scandals have a lingering effect.

Bundesliga I think is a much better option than those. But it doesn't seem like Bayerns in the mix.

Needham

If Liverpool were really serious about this being the start of a dominating era they'd be bidding hard for this guy.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Neymar is an example of why the ligue 1 is a stepping stone for any professional with actual ambition. His career since joining PSG is an absolute joke. Likewise Verrati, who has the added ignominy of not even attending and showcasing his talent in the last World Cup.

Mbappe's move was probably timed okay. He is so young and has a big future ahead of him. If he stays more than another season then I'd question things.

I mean c'mon. PSG is just a graveyard of talent with a sprinkle of domestic titles. Their European disasters emphasize that. It's a bloody shame that such a ferocious striker from Napoli has spent the rest of his days there instead of spearheading one of the Spanish big two or even top 4 in England. Likewise Ibra wasted his chance at getting a CL by staying there...but that move was more about money than ambition. The global exposure in those leagues is just too far ahead and likewise the competitions themselves.

Jeez a team of kids from the eredevise just went further in the CL than and French side in over 15 years.

Serie A is ahead of ligue 1 for me, mostly from nostalgia. Again there's just not enough money there from broadcasts and I do feel like the match fixing scandals have a lingering effect.

Bundesliga I think is a much better option than those. But it doesn't seem like Bayerns in the mix.
Please, Ibra's had plenty of chances of winning the CL before PSG, some great players just never get there, just like R9 or Henry. Neymar has been badly injured the last two seasons and is still not looking like he's out of the woods, he hasn't had an opportunity to be a disaster in Europe, unless you want to consider being injured a disaster which is just silly.

The CL is such an unpredictable tournament, and PSG have had rotten luck in it, but they're still a far better prospect each and every year than 95% of the teams out there. The fact that some of the great players I've mentioned above never won it shows you just how hard it can be, no matter if all your team's intention is to win it. At some point it will come to Paris if the owners keep this same ambition going. I think there's a lot more prestige in bringing a city like Paris its first European championship than adding another in a long list to a Barcelona/Real Madrid. The problem in Ligue 1 is that it develops a lot of young talents that get sold quickly, there's no consistency to keep a team going. Monaco gets to the semi final, half of the team is sold before next season (which btw, that was less than 15 years ago so no, Ajax didn't get further than a French side). PSG is the only team in France that can actually buy and hold its talent, and at some point it will pay off for them. I may be dead before it happens, but it will. ;)

BolehLand

Supports
Valencia
19 years old should not be a head of defend, no point of buying him at 80m at this moment.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Please, Ibra's had plenty of chances of winning the CL before PSG, some great players just never get there, just like R9 or Henry. Neymar has been badly injured the last two seasons and is still not looking like he's out of the woods, he hasn't had an opportunity to be a disaster in Europe, unless you want to consider being injured a disaster which is just silly.

The CL is such an unpredictable tournament, and PSG have had rotten luck in it, but they're still a far better prospect each and every year than 95% of the teams out there. The fact that some of the great players I've mentioned above never won it shows you just how hard it can be, no matter if all your team's intention is to win it. At some point it will come to Paris if the owners keep this same ambition going. I think there's a lot more prestige in bringing a city like Paris its first European championship than adding another in a long list to a Barcelona/Real Madrid. The problem in Ligue 1 is that it develops a lot of young talents that get sold quickly, there's no consistency to keep a team going. Monaco gets to the semi final, half of the team is sold before next season (which btw, that was less than 15 years ago so no, Ajax didn't get further than a French side). PSG is the only team in France that can actually buy and hold its talent, and at some point it will pay off for them. I may be dead before it happens, but it will. ;)
Pretty Certain he was a big part of Barca's treble in 09...

Treble

If Liverpool are a serious option, then de Ligt doesn't care much about wages. Surely, they won't offer him more money than Salah and VVD. I reckon City are more likely though. Barca 70 %, City 20 %, the rest combined 10 %.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If Liverpool are a serious option, then de Ligt doesn't care much about wages. Surely, they won't offer him more money than Salah and VVD. I reckon City are more likely though. Barca 70 %, City 20 %, the rest combined 10 %.
Percentages, nice. You’ll do well on reddit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Difference being many on reddit, especially the ITKs, don't have common sense.
Yeah, was just teasing :D.

You’re probably quite close, although I do think we’ve been linked a bit too much to be in the 10% bracket.

Treble

Yeah, was just teasing :D.

You’re probably quite close, although I do think we’ve been linked a bit too much to be in the 10% bracket.
According to Castles, our offer is huge but he isn't coming here. Think he is right. Most links are based on the offer, not on de Ligt's preference. His camp are using the offer to get a better deal out of Barca, City, PSG...Hopefully wrong.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to Castles, our offer is huge but he isn't coming here. Think he is right. Most links are based on the offer, not on de Ligt's preference. His camp are using the offer to get a better deal out of Barca, City, PSG...Hopefully wrong.
Castles tbf has been throwing alot of shit and hoping something sticks. Rakitic, Onana, Maddison and then linking Maignan first with Ajax and then United.

There's a reason he's tier 4 on reddit.

Treble

Castles tbf has been throwing alot of shit and hoping something sticks. Rakitic, Onana, Maddison and then linking Maignan first with Ajax and then United.

There's a reason he's tier 4 on reddit.
Most don't know what is really happening, but think he is right this time. Note that the links with United come mostly from Barca based journalists and they fabricate and throw a lot of shit too. Common sense says there is a small chance to sign him, and it is really small. I doubt that a top talent like De Ligt dreams about working with Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.