Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don’t watch Serie A at all - my question to those that do is how would he adapt in the Premier League - see that average/decent defenders in Tomori and Smalling seem to be highly rated there
I think he needs to be paired up with a more pacey partner to cover some of his deficiencies but aside from that he should be fine( i expect some of the nativity that he currently has to beaten out of him in time).

He also has some very very nice performance here nad there so his top level shouldn't be questioned (he was the bedroom of that ajax side that reached the semi's and he was great in there).

In short we might face problems if we pair him up with Harry but a more pacey partner like peak varane and he should be sublime.

Godfather

Why not? If all we bring in is De Jong, Malacia and Eriksen on a free that's a net spend of 70m. I'd hope to god our warchest is bigger than that
Not if we are in for Anthony too. Plus I doubt we would choose De Light for 100 mill ahead of Martinez at what...40-50?

Kostov

Not if we are in for Anthony too. Plus I doubt we would choose De Light for 100 mill ahead of Martinez at what...40-50?
De Ligt is a talent worth overpaying, 100m euros is too much however and I don't think he is going to cost that. 50m euros for Martinez I think is just as stupid and rather we look elsewhere.

Widow

We're not in for him, I have zero knowledge of this but every fiber is telling me we're being used to raise the fee from Chelsea.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We're not in for him, I have zero knowledge of this but every fiber is telling me we're being used to raise the fee from Chelsea.
If all of our targets ETH has had first-hand experience with and he wants a CB he would surely be top of the list no?

izec

If all of our targets ETH has had first-hand experience with and he wants a CB he would surely be top of the list no?
Not for 100m

FDJ over De Ligt any day of the week. And i also think we can only do one such deal this summer, considering that we probably have another 2-3 players lined up.

prateik

Linking united is pretty common when a club is looking to sell a player..
Dont expect there to be any truth in it

Widow

No. He's not the best of the CBs we've been linked with and although our defence could use an extra body, I can't see us paying through the nose for one. 40/50 million of the budget max and I believe Juva will command more than that. We should look to a DM and a RW/LW (depending on the plan for Sancho) before we spend big on a CB.

We need an rvn

I think he's a good player and definitely has the ability and build to play in the PL, plus again another player who played under Ten Hag, but his isn't happening, he's definitely Chelsea bound. They've lost a number of key defenders, Silva is near retirement and they have a new owner itching to make some statement signings.

Back to the Martinez thread for me

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
They sold us Pogba in his prime. Not really their fault that we couldn't get the best out of him.
maybe we did get the best out of him, but his best is just shit

diarm

How long is left on De Ligt's contract?

It would feel quite satisfying to entice him to see it out and then join us on a free.

EtH

How long is left on De Ligt's contract?

It would feel quite satisfying to entice him to see it out and then join us on a free.
Yes. And pour one out for Raiola while we’re at it.

Teja

Has to be a huge contract on top right? Rather get some forwards in instead.

CB as a position is overrated.

TheRedHearted

But it's the one thing we've needed to fix for multiple windows.
Same. Even if it’s a 10 million dollar player for some lesser league, we need someone who actually plays that position. Even if garner is staying, at least one player who actually plays there. And I’m serious if he’s not a flashy big signing.
I trust that ETH knows what he's doing.
It seems there’s some curse with our managers, except of course Jose and I suppose LVG tried with Schneiderlin and he’ll if he worked out we would still have a DM all be it 32. But even look at both Matic and Schneiderlin, didn’t work out. Matic for longer but then just dropped off completely. Doesn’t seem like we’ve had two DMs are strong controlling midfielder’s for how many years ?

As a centerback who used to block about 6-16 shots a game, I’m stunned at this comment ! As basically the last line since goalkeeper is often so vulnerable I can’t understand that especially in the premier league

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Not sure if serious. Ever heard the saying, goals win games, defences win titles?

Defending is a team art for sure, but so is goal scoring. Having the best players in every position will always be an advantage if those players fit the strategy.

Just look at Liverpool with and without VVD.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There are rumours of Pavard possibly leaving. De Ligt would suit our style quite well and, in my opinion, is simply better than the defenders we already have.
Can you see your club breaking their transfer record and give him some astronomical wages?

Thought it's not your style.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Can you see your club breaking their transfer record and give him some astronomical wages?

Thought it's not your style.
We paid crazy money for Hernandez, too. So I would not rule it out. There also seems to be a strategic shift in our transfer dealings with Salihamidzic at the top.

DevilRed

I’d imagine we’d have to get rid of a fair few players to afford this transfer. Also, do you drop maguire? Varane?

de ligt isn’t anywhere near close to being the player he should be. A lot of hype but he hasn’t produced much in Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.