Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Underwhelmed. He only underwhelmed if your expectation was that he would be insanely good every week. De Ligt may have been inconsitent at times, but many times he also got very positive critiques, acknowledging that he was the new leader of the team/defense.

Guess what, Sergio Ramos wasn't great every week when he was 22. He even kept getting stupid red cards when he was in his prime. I can't think of any defenders that barely make mistakes. Even the great PL is loaded with defenders that are prone to mistakes. Even VVD makes the odd mistake and De Ligt is a superior player to VVD at 22. De Ligt is not perfect, but makes few mistakes. Has been unlucky to concede penalties with unintentional handballs a few times, but what do you do about that? Above all he is a typcal PL defender. Has the energy, the physique, the leadership and unlike most PL defenders he can actually kick a ball.

You paid 80m for Maguire, so what are you on about with your inflated fee? Juventus paid a fair value and them selling for €90m now is actually cheap. As I said, you paid more for Maguire and he never was more than half the player De Ligt is. Liverpool paid €85m for VVD when he was 27 and didnt even have half the experience De Ligt already has at 22. De Ligt had more caps for the NT when Ajax sold him (at 19 y/o) than VVD had when Liverpool bought him (at 27 y/o). De Ligt below €100m is a steal. There are no 22 yo defenders with his experience and qualities. You are buying someone with experience of a 28 yo but who's still only 22, has major room to grow and easily has 10 quality years to go.
Ramos cost €25m. Give me a break.

Reiver

Isn't that Chiellini off now? You would have thought now would be his time to really step up and shine.

Stadjer

He’s a fine defender who will be a great singing for whoever gets him but the need to label him generational is just absurd.
He won the golden boy and i dont know many other defenders who are as good as he is at his age. If you have to label a young defender generational it would be Matthijs de Ligt. You dont have to be labeled a generational talent to be a fantastic defender. I dont think Rio or Vidic were named generational for example.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Underwhelmed. He only underwhelmed if your expectation was that he would be insanely good every week. De Ligt may have been inconsitent at times, but many times he also got very positive critiques, acknowledging that he was the new leader of the team/defense.

Guess what, Sergio Ramos wasn't great every week when he was 22. He even kept getting stupid red cards when he was in his prime. I can't think of any defenders that barely make mistakes. Even the great PL is loaded with defenders that are prone to mistakes. Even VVD makes the odd mistake and De Ligt is a superior player to VVD at 22. De Ligt is not perfect, but makes few mistakes. Has been unlucky to concede penalties with unintentional handballs a few times, but what do you do about that? Above all he is a typcal PL defender. Has the energy, the physique, the leadership and unlike most PL defenders he can actually kick a ball.

You paid 80m for Maguire, so what are you on about with your inflated fee? Juventus paid a fair value and them selling for €90m now is actually cheap. As I said, you paid more for Maguire and he never was more than half the player De Ligt is. Liverpool paid €85m for VVD when he was 27 and didnt even have half the experience De Ligt already has at 22. De Ligt had more caps for the NT when Ajax sold him (at 19 y/o) than VVD had when Liverpool bought him (at 27 y/o). De Ligt below €100m is a steal. There are no 22 yo defenders with his experience and qualities. You are buying someone with experience of a 28 yo but who's still only 22, has major room to grow and easily has 10 quality years to go.
This is not aimed at you particularly, it’s a common theme on this board, but when you make a confident statement like ‘De Ligt is a superior player to Van Dijk at 22’ can you explain exactly and specifically how you came to that conclusion? Because otherwise it might appear like you’ve just plucked a comparison out of the air to prove your point. So how many Celtic games did you see live in 2013, when VVD was 22? Which games (name the opponent) did you remember, and then hold on to that information for 9 years, that you then used to compare him with De Ligt at 22? Who I’m imagining you must also have seen live multiple times in order to be certain that he is better. Which opponents was he better against this season (name the opponent)? And how did you factor in the difference between the quality of opponents and the quality of team mates and the styles of play?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He’s a fine defender who will be a great singing for whoever gets him but the need to label him generational is just absurd.
He easily has the highest potential out of all the young defenders currently on the market (those that I know off at least) do it ain't that absurd.

But yeah the price tag us a bit too steep.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Also Rio twice broke records when he moved to Leeds and subsequently to us when he was 22 for the first and 24 for the latter so paying big bucks for exciting prospects is certainly not a new development.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is not aimed at you particularly, it’s a common theme on this board, but when you make a confident statement like ‘De Ligt is a superior player to Van Dijk at 22’ can you explain exactly and specifically how you came to that conclusion? Because otherwise it might appear like you’ve just plucked a comparison out of the air to prove your point. So how many Celtic games did you see live in 2013, when VVD was 22? Which games (name the opponent) did you remember, and then hold on to that information for 9 years, that you then used to compare him with De Ligt at 22? Who I’m imagining you must also have seen live multiple times in order to be certain that he is better. Which opponents was he better against this season (name the opponent)? And how did you factor in the difference between the quality of opponents and the quality of team mates and the styles of play?
Does it need to be so complicated? Or isn't it just common sense that a regular starter for a team like Juventus has to be better than someone playing at Celtic in the Scottish league?

worldinmotion66

The fact that we're pushing for Martinez suggests that we're not all that interested in de Ligt, unfortunately. He and de Jong are too good to be playing in the Europa league, but I genuinely think Ten Hag could have persuaded both to join us, and our spine would be vastly improved for years.

It looks like we're making similar mistakes, trying to buy mid range players, overpaying and hoping they'll be good enough to get us back into the CL straight away. I'd much rather buy top players that are somewhat less of a risk and put faith in our excellent youth products this season. We finally have a top level coach that develops and improves players.

AFC NimbleThumb

The fact that we're pushing for Martinez suggests that we're not all that interested in de Ligt, unfortunately. He and de Jong are too good to be playing in the Europa league, but I genuinely think Ten Hag could have persuaded both to join us, and our spine would be vastly improved for years.

It looks like we're making similar mistakes, trying to buy mid range players, overpaying and hoping they'll be good enough to get us back into the CL straight away. I'd much rather buy top players that are somewhat less of a risk and put faith in our excellent youth products this season. We finally have a top level coach that develops and improves players.
EtH would not choose Martinez over De Ligt. Look at the trouble we’re having persuading De Jong. The similar mistake is our fanbase still thinking it’s 10 years ago, you say both are too good for Europa league yet you’re convinced EtH could persuade them both why? Martinez is the level we’re at, we simply have to hope the coach can over perform & the next De Ligt chooses us.

Remember the geese

EtH would not choose Martinez over De Ligt. Look at the trouble we’re having persuading De Jong. The similar mistake is our fanbase still thinking it’s 10 years ago, you say both are too good for Europa league yet you’re convinced EtH could persuade them both why? Martinez is the level we’re at, we simply have to hope the coach can over perform & the next De Ligt chooses us.
I'm not so sure it's a case of Martinez over De Ligt. Think it's more the fact that Martinez is left footed. Almost as if he is in a completely different category.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Does it need to be so complicated? Or isn't it just common sense that a regular starter for a team like Juventus has to be better than someone playing at Celtic in the Scottish league?
Definitely not correct to say that. Do you think Kalvin Philips will have become a better player overnight now he’s gone from playing for relegation fodder to league champions? Because by your argument, last week Kalvin was a worse midfielder than player X, Y, Z etc, and this week he’s better.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Definitely not correct to say that. Do you think Kalvin Philips will have become a better player overnight now he’s gone from playing for relegation fodder to league champions? Because by your argument, last week Kalvin was a worse midfielder than player X, Y, Z etc, and this week he’s better.
I would say Kalvin Philips at 26 played well enough to earn his big move to Man City. VVD at 22, unlike De Ligt, had yet earned his big move to a big club.

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm not so sure it's a case of Martinez over De Ligt. Think it's more the fact that Martinez is left footed. Almost as if he is in a completely different category.
Part of the reason we are getting Martinez will indeed be his left footedness/balance. The post I responded to says the fact we’re going after Martinez shows we’re not interested in De Ligt which is ludicrous. I’d agree with you they’re in different categories.

Remember the geese

Part of the reason we are getting Martinez will indeed be his left footedness/balance. The post I responded to says the fact we’re going after Martinez shows we’re not interested in De Ligt which is ludicrous. I’d agree with you they’re in different categories.
Yeah, I agree that ten Hag would be all over De Ligt if we needed a right footer and money was no object.

Kostov

De Ligt will be the best CB in the world in 2 years time, we’d be foolish not to try and bring him in. Especially if we are ready to pay 50m for someone like Martinez.

Polar

de Ligt would be perfect for United. If he is available for <£75m it’s a bargain.

Four former Ajax players at United is risky business for ETH:nervous:

Last edited:

Zed 101

de Light would be perfect for United. If he is available for £65m it’s a bargain.

Four former Ajax players at United is risky business for ETH:nervous:
£65m would be about £30m too much given his football over the last couple of years

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

popcorn

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea

popcorn
I mean if I was De Ligt or Juve I’d happily leak these stories to get a better fee for player or club. Who knows if it’s genuine or agent work.

All transfers seem to conveniently have a third party get involved when talks start to get serious

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

popcorn
Seems like German and Munich based reporters are saying he prefers Bayern over Chelsea while Italian reporters are reporting the opposite, that he prefers a move to the PL.

Interesting to see how this one develops. Juve are hoping to spark a bidding war between our clubs and raise the price but I think neither Bayern or Chelsea will meet an asking price of over £80m.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Club A wants to buy a player from Club B. As soon as negotiations get serious around fees Club C appear which just helps Club B push the price up. The same goes for players too, the player gets inflated terms from Club A to stave off any competition, imagined or real.

Can also work the other way with Club A releasing stories of other targets they are after to drive down Club B’s asking price (if they need the money)

I like to think we’re doing this with Kounde, Sevilla are desperate for money but are asking a lot for Kounde. We’re playing the long game and going after other targets in the hope Sevilla soften

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seems like German and Munich based reporters are saying he prefers Bayern over Chelsea while Italian reporters are reporting the opposite, that he prefers a move to the PL.

Interesting to see how this one develops. Juve are hoping to spark a bidding war between our clubs and raise the price but I think neither Bayern or Chelsea will meet an asking price of over £80m.
Just what I was coming to post. I’m sure Bayern are genuinely interested in him but this just smells of Juve pressuring us into paying closer to the €100m price that they apparently want. Which we won’t go near, imo.

Polar

Is tapping up still a thing? Seems like nobody cares anymore.
I don’t consider the de Ligt situation to be “tapping up”, but maybe I interpret the term or situation wrong:confused:

Vapor trail

Not sold on De Ligt, he's a good defender but is error prone and wouldn't justify a hefty fee. Bayern is a good move for him, the tempo of German football would be a good match the lack of physicality could bring out his technical side more. Bayern just have to be careful not to end up with another Upamecano situation due to the hype of a player.

romufc

Not sold on De Ligt, he's a good defender but is error prone and wouldn't justify a hefty fee. Bayern is a good move for him, the tempo of German football would be a good match the lack of physicality could bring out his technical side more. Bayern just have to be careful not to end up with another Upamecano situation due to the hype of a player.
I am pretty much in this camp. 70/80m seems alot for what he is. I just feel he is slightly overrated.

He was in the brilliant Ajax team but hasn't really done much since, Juve have fallen off and he has cost them a fair few goals in his time.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don’t consider the de Ligt situation to be “tapping up”, but maybe I interpret the term or situation wrong:confused:
It is pretty obvious that Juve wants to sell with two years left on his contract to maximize the price since there won’t be an extension at Juve. Therefore, this does not qualify as „tapping up“ (which nonetheless happens all the time).

Apokalips

I guess he was referring to the fact that Salihamidzic has been in constant contact with the player despite him being on the books of another club.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I would not follow the bs about who is doing what… the line is €80m + bonuses or a player. And I’m not sure De Ligt would prefer one over the other option before seeing the cake they have for him. Mind, this is another 3-4 years stop before an even bigger move once he enters his prime. Of course, all parties want to extract the most.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just what I was coming to post. I’m sure Bayern are genuinely interested in him but this just smells of Juve pressuring us into paying closer to the €100m price that they apparently want. Which we won’t go near, imo.
German Sky and especially Florian Plettenberg (he was the first one to report that Bayern wants to sign Mané) seem quite convinced that Bayern will go "all out" for de Ligt that he prefers a move to us.

If we can agree a transfer fee with Juve I think de Ligt will join us.

Zen86

Any kind of contact with a player under contract elsewhere, without explicit authorisation from the club, would've landed you in hot water once upon a time. Nevermind "agreeing personal terms" with them. Either way, it doesn't really seem to be a thing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.