Matthijs De Ligt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
German Sky and especially Florian Plettenberg (he was the first one to report that Bayern wants to sign Mané) seem quite convinced that Bayern will go "all out" for de Ligt that he prefers a move to us.

If we can agree a transfer fee with Juve I think de Ligt will join us.
And they could be right. But what does “all out” mean for Bayern? What happens if Chelsea offer €80m and Bayern don’t offer near that?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
And they could be right. But what does “all out” mean for Bayern? What happens if Chelsea offer €80m and Bayern don’t offer near that?
What happens if the player says he only want's to move to Bayern?

Von Mistelroum

For me this, along with De Jong should bea huge priority signing. Even if we sacrifice attacking options.

So we signed Malacia= £15m
Erikson = £0
De Jong = £60m
De Ligt = £80m

Yes we've spent over the budget slightly and we have to rely on some pretty poor wingers and such, but we've a spine in place for the next 6-10 years of top class players who will set an example for the rest. We can always buy a decent winger next summer as let's face it, we're not going to be challenging this year either way.

Oh and if Ronaldo leaves then we make sure we trade for a striker because even that spine isn't worth having Martial as our main striker

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
German Sky and especially Florian Plettenberg (he was the first one to report that Bayern wants to sign Mané) seem quite convinced that Bayern will go "all out" for de Ligt that he prefers a move to us.

If we can agree a transfer fee with Juve I think de Ligt will join us.
Im taking it all with a pinch of salt as the likes of Romeo Agresti one of Juve's top reporters, claims its us who will likely get him. Not far off agreeing a fee after further talks yesterday. seems dimarzio has De Ligt wanting to come to the prem, too

GlasgowCeltic

Bayern would be a great move for him, few years there and then last stop Real Madrid

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is tapping up still a thing? Seems like nobody cares anymore.
That's why agents exist. They do all the talking and dealings in the background without needing to contact a player directly.

Can't get in trouble that way. If you meet in person like Klopp/VVD did though, then you could be.

The Viper

Some posters are giving him the "world class" tag. Is that potentially or is he currently playing at that level ? If he is that good why are Juve ready to sell him? Especially after Chiellini's exit. I've not followed him properly in Serie A but Juve haven't been the juggernaut they used to be after his transfer.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Some posters are giving him the "world class" tag. Is that potentially or is he currently playing at that level ? If he is that good why are Juve ready to sell him? Especially after Chiellini's exit. I've not followed him properly in Serie A but Juve haven't been the juggernaut they used to be after his transfer.
Because it seems he doesn’t want to extend his contract and Juve can maximize the price with two years left on his contract.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How does he even improve us, he hasn't got a ton of pace, quite slow from what I've seen of him, he's no upgrade on what we got in Maguire unless I'm missing something?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Regarding the tapping up stuff. As far as I can remember, Bayern basically always agree to terms with a player before negotiating with the club. It’s way easier that way. If you already agreed terms, you can pressure the current club better, because they can’t force a bidding war.
Wether this is ok is another matter. But we have always done it this way.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Regarding the tapping up stuff. As far as I can remember, Bayern basically always agree to terms with a player before negotiating with the club. It’s way easier that way. If you already agreed terms, you can pressure the current club better, because they can’t force a bidding war.
Wether this is ok is another matter. But we have always done it this way.
That's usually the way most clubs have been doing it. Barca had supposedly agreed terms with Raphinha months ago, and Chelsea agreed terms with Kounde last summer. Doesn't really mean all that much if the the two clubs can't agree on a valuation. It's done through the agent anyway, so whether that breaks any rules or not, I don't know but no-one speaks directly to a player a la Mourinho and Ashley Cole these days.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just what I was coming to post. I’m sure Bayern are genuinely interested in him but this just smells of Juve pressuring us into paying closer to the €100m price that they apparently want. Which we won’t go near, imo.
I think Bayern are genuinely interested. There's too much information coming out of there for it to be a Juve smokescreen. I doubt either club will be interested in bidding war though, was my point, so I think it'll be a case of both clubs offering similar bids with De Ligt picking where he wants to go.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Not even a single link to us?
Well that's a downer.
It's weird considering his age and profile. With Maguire and Varane turning 30 in the upcoming season, this is the type of long term investment you should make as a club if you want to rebuild properly and sort things out for the next five to ten years,

More so because Ten Hag worked with him before and it was sucessful. If he truly had carte blanche this summer I'd see no reason why he wouldn't very much want to add De Ligt to the squad, so it really is strange. Maybe it is a budget thing after all with us this year, but that makes no logical sense given De Ligt's age and the longevity of an investment like this. Wait another summer for a CB and we might get desperate and some midtable club will fleece us again for the next Harry Maguire.

If he goes to Bayern it's a fantastic transfer for them, and again a perfect example of them being a model club, making the exact right investments at the right time.

Henrik Larsson

How does he even improve us, he hasn't got a ton of pace, quite slow from what I've seen of him, he's no upgrade on what we got in Maguire unless I'm missing something?
It's fair to consider him to be at Maguire's level right now, or at least the Maguire that was half decent, so before last season. De Ligt's no ultimate pace merchant but a little faster than Maguire though, at least in terms of acceleration. He's also 22 years old, and it's looking like he'll become a better player than Maguire ever was or will be over the next two to three years. So he would very likely improve us over the next three to four years, which nicely coincides with Maguire and Varane turning 30 next spring and our club aspiring to have some kind of long term vision.

Natural born leader on top of that, whether it's Chiellini, Vidic, Ramos or Puyol, you can't really put a price tag on that type of personality, and De Ligt has it 100%. Unlike Maguire, who was given the armband to get more confidence and made us into a bit of a laughing stock. Just like De Gea or Shaw, I don't see real leadership in their personalities, unlike what we had with guys like Edwin, Vida or Rio or even Evra. Players with that mentality are fundamental if we're ever serious about winning the Premier League again, I would say 7-9 players in the squad with that natural leadership is as important as their pure individual quality.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's weird considering his age and profile. With Maguire and Varane turning 30 in the upcoming season, this is the type of long term investment you should make as a club if you want to rebuild properly and sort things out for the next five to ten years,

More so because Ten Hag worked with him before and it was sucessful. If he truly had carte blanche this summer I'd see no reason why he wouldn't very much want to add De Ligt to the squad, so it really is strange. Maybe it is a budget thing after all with us this year, but that makes no logical sense given De Ligt's age and the longevity of an investment like this. Wait another summer for a CB and we might get desperate and some midtable club will fleece us again for the next Harry Maguire.

If he goes to Bayern it's a fantastic transfer for them, and again a perfect example of them being a model club, making the exact right investments at the right time.
Yeah, I just kinda hope we swoop in and get him in the last minute, a man can dream.

Nicklas

Ten Hag probably rates Martinez higher/sees him as a better fit for this United side. Seen a few Ajax-supporters saying Martinez > De Ligt as well, for what it’s worth.

Henrik Larsson

Ten Hag probably rates Martinez higher/sees him as a better fit for this United side. Seen a few Ajax-supporters saying Martinez > De Ligt as well, for what it’s worth.
Martinez developed nicely, but having seen them both play for Ajax I would be very surprised if Ten Hag rates him higher than De Ligt purely as a CB.

Seems more like he's a lot cheaper, actually interested in joining us (which might not even be the case with De Ligt for all we know), and he's a nice left footed multi-functional option to have in our squad. I don't think he's ever going to be at a level where he's the CB that started 35-38 league games for a Premier League winning side though, whereas with De Ligt I think he has that potential for sure over the next few years.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why would he prefer United over Chelsea, if the Bayern move won't happen?
Chelsea offers champions league football, has been more successful over the last years, is the better team and I guess most players would prefer London over Manchester.
Only ETH might be an advantage for United. However, Tuchel is an excellent coach as well.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Chelsea offers champions league football, has been more successful over the last years, is the better team and I guess most players would prefer London over Manchester.
Only ETH might be an advantage for United. However, Tuchel is an excellent coach as well.
Ten hag but that's pretty much it at the moment.
And money as well I guess but Chelsea can probably match anything we could throw at him.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Martinez developed nicely, but having seen them both play for Ajax I would be very surprised if Ten Hag rates him higher than De Ligt purely as a CB.

Seems more like he's a lot cheaper, actually interested in joining us (which might not even be the case with De Ligt for all we know), and he's a nice left footed multi-functional option to have in our squad. I don't think he's ever going to be at a level where he's the CB that started 35-38 league games for a Premier League winning side though, whereas with De Ligt I think he has that potential for sure over the next few years.
I am an Ajax fan and have seen them both as well. Love them both as well. I really can't imagine many fans will really rate Martinez higher. Some might because they have short memory. Those people will probably rate the next one higher again. Martinez is better in possession, but De Ligt is also fine in possession and is a more complete defender. De Ligt's total package is definitely better and De Ligt is a year younger as well. That's why Martinez is a 50m euro defender and De Ligt is a 100m euro defender. I agree with what you've stated. Although I wouldn't say Martinez will never be a starter for a PL winning side. Laporte has been, Otamendi was. I think Martinez is already at around that level (at least Laporte's) and still has room to grow. But I agree De Ligt has more potential and already is better right now.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Want him at Bayern.

Edit: I just saw Juventus players market value on transfermarkt. It has been a massive drop in value on paper and on the field of course in the last few years. De Ligt, Vlahovic and Chiesa almost represent half the team worth. That's crazy. Feels like even 2-3 seasons ago they targeted the UCL, now I feel like they have to battle to get out of the groups.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ten Hag and a rapidly growing Dutch contingent? :)

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ten Hag and a rapidly growing Dutch contingent? :)
Yeah that's was also my only plus for United.

However just out of interest does ETH indeed has such a big pull on former players?

I never heard anything similar when a club signed a new coach. E.g. all ex players of Mourinho, Ancelotti, Poch or even Klopp and Guardia suddenly were jumping at the chance to join their new clubs.

To me the importance of the relationship between ETH and his former players is being exaggerated here. It's a secondary advantage at best, like the weather or the city.

bringbackbebe

That is a new tactics our board needs to learn.
The idea of playing against Heart of Midlothian and Dnipro-1 next season must surely appeal to anyone wanting a Ballon d'Or? Bayern on the other hand can offer no such opportunities.

cyberman

Chelsea are an institutional mess at the minute. I wouldn’t blame any player wanting to give them a season or 2 to see where they are before joining.
Is it even the same club anymore post Roman? They’ve basically lost their entire defence and are hanging their hat on stupid bids for De Ligt who they probably won’t get and 50m Ake!
Then it’s the playing side. The temptation to play under Ten Hag who knows how to deploy him is real. Then you look at Chelsea who play 5 at the back to cover for Thaigos lack of pace. Would adding another slow CB to that backline be the wisest choice?
It’s the same tempting question for De Jong. I’ve been slightly misused here at Barca / Juve and not quite on track to be the OMG he’s the future of his position in world football. A move sideways and the odds of being stuck in the same position is there or do I play again under Ten Hag who knows how I want to play and could propel me back on track.
Personally I wouldn’t join either English club and I’d stay well away from Bayern as well who are slipping from where they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.