Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It was pretty close to the second best squad. I really think that you guys are underrating that Spurs team. Just an example City had Clichy, Sagna, Otamendi, Navas starting and poor goalkeeping. Spurs arguably had their best starting eleven of Pochettino era.

---------------------Lloris
Walker---Alder----Vertonghen----Rose
-----------Wanyama--Dembélé
Son---------------Eriksen-----------All
----------------------Kane

The also had Dier, Sissoko and barely used Trippier. Again I insist he is a good coach but you guys are underrating what he actual had in order to inflate his resume. Liverpool and Arsenal had far worse teams, United underachieved and City were a mix of talented players and has beens.
Hold on. Walker and Rose were not in any kind of form before Poch got there. Alder was brought in by him after he’d done well at Soton. Dembele was reinvented and his level was taken up by Poch. Son brought in and improved by him. Eriksen had been patchy in his season before Poch (and in his latter Ajax days), Ali was brought in by Poch. Kane was not rated as being anything like he became under Poch. There’s no way someone would look at that side on the day Poch walked in and would say that set of players was anything special.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If you don’t rate Declan Rice then you should stop watching football
:lol:. That's great - I'll save a load on paying for Sky now :). Rice is another in the extremely long line of incredibly overrated English players that have hot air blown up their arse from the time they can kick a ball in a straight line. See : Dele Alli, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Tyrone Mings, Harry Maguire, Nathaniel Clyne, Fabian Delph, Andros Tonsend, Ross Barkley, Tom Cleverley, Chris Smalling, Danny Welbeck, Kieran Gibbs, Jack Wilshere, Adam Johnson, Phil Jones,Theo Walcott... I could keep going.

Interesting thread on reddit here about Poch. PSG fans are not too keen on him. Always think it's interesting to see the opinion of the selling teams fans. Sporting's fans really didn't want to let Fernandes go, Leicester fans thought £80mill was insane etc. Can be quite indicative of how they end up, though I don't think that's the case here.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just can't warm up to him likely being our next manager. I'll obviously support him.

But I just worry he won't be up to par. It's almost like us hiring Jose back in 2016. The obvious option when we should think with more foresight.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just can't warm up to him likely being our next manager. I'll obviously support him.

But I just worry he won't be up to par. It's almost like us hiring Jose back in 2016. The obvious option when we should think with more foresight.
I don't think Jose was an obvious option for many people. Poch has been an obvious option for a few seasons now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Talk about agenda posting. This is the transfer spending list from 2014 to 2020. (And it includes Bergwijn, who was bought after he left mid season).

And this was salaries from his final full year in charge (Salaries in light blue, turnover in dark blue)

Spurs were dwarfed by their rivals on both transfers and salaries, they were basically a mid-table club in terms of spend.
Wheres the agenda?

I stipulated he spent £400m plus, and you have confirmed my point, thank you!

If you want context - how about his last transfer window he didn't spend a dime, the Stadium costs had well and truly caught up with Spurs at that point, along with Poch spending over £100m the transfer window before.
This arguably was there best season under Poch however, ironically!

That makes his spending even more potent.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think Jose was an obvious option for many people. Poch has been an obvious option for a few seasons now.
The obvious option for the club then - He certainly was.

And most of the cafe wanted Jose too, I'm pretty sure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Reading your post, I get the impression he was victim of his own success.

How highly was a few of these players held prior to Pochettino? What have they done after Pochettino? Alli (25), Eriksen (29) and Rose (31), Alderweireld (32).

What had Alderweireld, Dembele and Vertonghen done prior to Pochettino? I remember the frustration Spurs-fans launched at the former two before Pochettino came in. Danny Rose was a midfielder, and did not look like he would make it. Dier looked better between 20 and 24 than he has done since. Same with Alli.

Hindsight is a bitch sometimes. In this case, not only the players started buying in to their own hype, but also fans.
They were all highly rated as prospects. And no Danny Rose wasn't a midfielder anymore, he had been moved to fullback several seasons prior to Pochettino joining. Alli had schooled us the summer of his move with MK Dons, he didn't magically turned into a great prospect when he met Pochettino. Alderweireld and Vertonghen were both highly rated at Ajax, they then moved to wealthier leagues, same for Eriksen. And Alli regressed under Pochettino, Rose had injury issues, Alderweireld had injuries in 17/18 and hasn't been the same while Eriksen finally won something starting for Inter.

Also how do your remember Spurs fans frustration about Alderweireld prior to Pochettino when he joined them a year after Pochettino?

JPRouve

Scout
Hold on. Walker and Rose were not in any kind of form before Poch got there. Alder was brought in by him after he’d done well at Soton. Dembele was reinvented and his level was taken up by Poch. Son brought in and improved by him. Eriksen had been patchy in his season before Poch (and in his latter Ajax days), Ali was brought in by Poch. Kane was not rated as being anything like he became under Poch. There’s no way someone would look at that side on the day Poch walked in and would say that set of players was anything special.
This post is about the 16/17 team punching above their weight, they weren't. No one is suggesting that Pochettino isn't a good coach and didn't help his team achieve its potential.

largelyworried

Wheres the agenda?

I stipulated he spent £400m plus, and you have confirmed my point, thank you!

If you want context - how about his last transfer window he didn't spend a dime, the Stadium costs had well and truly caught up with Spurs at that point, along with Poch spending over £100m the transfer window before.
This arguably was there best season under Poch however, ironically!

That makes his spending even more potent.
When you said

But he did spend a huge amount of money.

£400m, that's huge no matter which two ways you look at it.
it isnt.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How is that disingenuous? We are talking about his tenure at Tottenham not isolated events. I don't put an emphasis on some of their horrible results and I also don't put an emphasis on the one time they do something. And here is my point, they played in EL for three seasons under Pochettino and never went further than round of 16, they played 4 seasons in the CL 1 season they didn't go further than the group stage, two seasons no further than round of 16 and also one final. The final isn't representative of their European performances, he didn't had them punch above their weight.

If anything Pochettino is a manager that you can rely on to see your team achieve its potential but not punch above its weight.
That was punching above their weight unless you ignore where they were coming from. Which is why I said its disingenuous

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The obvious option for the club then - He certainly was.

And most of the cafe wanted Jose too, I'm pretty sure.
I wanted Jose but I remember a lot did not. And I remember a lot of eyebrows being raised generally at the time at the choice of him. Not just because of his style but also because he really imploded at Chelsea, and that the philosophy was a drastic change to what LVG was.

Poch has been a bit of an obvious shortlist in any season let alone this. I.E. even when other managers were in the conversation among fans like Nagelsmann or Tuchel, Poch was still carrying some credible argument to be considered among them. So I don't think any pursuit of him is because of lack of options and being the best in that window available (as it was with Mourinho). I think Poch is a target that we've obviously admired for a few seasons on the bounce now, and we should finally get him. Or if not him a manager who has a high potential.

KingCavani

he needed low 80’s points at spurs to beat leicester to the title. And didnt. He lost numerous quarters, semis and a final. He had a shocking record against big clubs. Will pochettino guide us to 90 odd points to win a league? No. Would you back him tactically 1 on 1 in a final against klopp or pep or tuchel? No. Hes a good coach for a leicester or aston villa type team. We’ve just sacked a manager who can get top 4 but will never lift a trophy, why appoint someone we know will achieve exactly the same? Hes not up to it
Genuinely among the most laughable things I’ve read on any forum. Has to be trolling.

All he needed was lows 80’s? All he needed was to get a points total that had never been reached in this history of the club? At least not until Poch would eventually reach 86 points in 2017, which was and is the highest points total in their history.

That really demonstrates how ridiculous some of these anti-Poch arguments are. He got Southampton to their highest ever league position and Spurs their highest ever points total. These clubs are nearly 150 years old and Poch took them to unprecedented heights. “But muh trophies”…Absolute nonsense.

This is beyond belief at this point, the agenda against Poch from some on here is bizarre. He’s not above criticism and certainly you can point to failings in the market and the issues he had towards the end but to act like it was a failing of Poch because he didn’t win the league at Spurs is just stupidly.

Champ

When you said

it isnt.
OK,

So in that case Ole didn't spend a huge amount of money at United then right??

£400m is a lot of cash, The only time Spurs really splashed the cash before Poch got involved was when they had the Bale money.

kerryman

Typical United - never went for him when he was free and available. Instead stuck with the P.E teacher. Always have to make it a saga and spend more £.
Nailed it...how could the board not see we were going nowhere under Ole, it was pretty obvious for a long time that he wasn't going to have us competing for titles. Did they think he would suddenly turn into a top coach/manager one day? Clubs need to pick up better managers when they are available if things aren't going as well as they could be. No way Chelsea win the CL last season if they stuck with our strategy. Fortune favours the brave!

JPRouve

Scout
That was punching above their weight unless you ignore where they were coming from. Which is why I said its disingenuous
They were favorite against Dortmund and Ajax, drew against City and qualified with an away goal. It's a cup these things happen, we are not talking about Partizan Belgrade. I wouldn't even make that point for Jardim at Monaco let alone Pochettino at Tottenham.

Champ

But Poch regularly stated he had little influence over transfers and that his job title should be changed to coach because of that (e.g. below post ndombele signings). Seems like levy was very much making the signings and the team he was left with was worse than the one he inherited. Levy chose a particularly poor time to be stingy because their squad was in dire need of refreshing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49175446
Defnitely the bolded part!! ,

Poch was originally involved in the transfer process at Spurs, however towards the latter stages of his tenure he was removed from the process, which led to the fallow period!

largelyworried

OK,

So in that case Ole didn't spend a huge amount of money at United then right??

£400m is a lot of cash, The only time Spurs really splashed the cash before Poch got involved was when they had the Bale money.
Ole was only here half as long, genius.

Cloud7

I feel like this might really accelerate after the City-PSG match on Wednesday and we might see him in before the weekend

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This surely has to happen :lol:

It’s done. Calling it.
I think this was said yesterday on 5 live. UnitedDistrict are a crafty handle, they space their updates out from all the sources so it looks like it's breaking news at the time. I don't think there is any new development from the smoke yesterday.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think this was said yesterday on 5 live. UnitedDistrict are a crafty handle, they space their updates out from all the sources so it looks like it's breaking news at the time.
Laurens is on Talksport discussing it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Laurens is on Talksport discussing it.
Yeah but that quote is from BBC 5 live Monday Night sounds

But the handle is posting it today to space out their nuggets and get clicks to make it look like "fresh" info

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Also how do your remember Spurs fans frustration about Alderweireld prior to Pochettino when he joined them a year after Pochettino?
Ment to write Vertonghen and Dembele.

I agree they where highly rated prospect, but thet had not done much at all at a high level. No one is trying to argue that they were players without potential that Pochettino somehow transformed by a magic trick.

And quite a few of them did not look good at the point when he came in. Eriksen looked slow and weak in 13/14. Pochettino playing him wide, where he got more time and space, helped him alot. While you are right about Rose, he had approx 2 000 minutes in total at left back in the PL at the age of 24 when Pochettino came in.

I think it was a similar story at Southampton where Liverpool somehow ended up buying Lovren, Clyne, Lallana and Lambert. He made them look better than they were.

JPRouve

Scout
Is this new or just a rehash of what Simon Stone already said yesterday?
It's new but not really a strong link. It's from an article talking about all options and how United may be thinking.

Cloud7

I like him but I just want us to show some patience and wait for Hag.
See the issue with this is there is absolutely nothing that has come out anywhere that says Ten Haag wants to manage United. It's literally just wishful thinking on our part. Maybe he wants to stay at Ajax. Maybe he wants to go to Barcelona or City, which are clubs that top to bottom have a similar ethos and direction to Ajax. Maybe Bayern fire Nagelsmann before the end of the season and he prefers to go there, or perhaps Dortmund.

The point being, we are in November, and we're looking at waiting to see if he's interested next June. Even if he's interested now, who's to say something more interesting won't come up between now and then? We cannot put all our eggs in this one basket for the future, as the eggs could end up scrambled by then.

Champ

Ole was only here half as long, genius.
Ole spent a lot less and that wasn't the question, Genius...

Its a simple fact, Poch spent a lot of money at Spurs, isn't a bad thing, but he didn't win anything despite the spending,

Yes that spending is dwarfed by Chelsea, United and City, but Leicester also managed to win the Premier League spending similar amounts to Poch's Spurs above said clubs.

I don't think what I am saying is controversial in any way really.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I just realized he's two years younger than Ten Hag. For some reason I expected Ten Hag to be in his late 30s or early 40s.

RUCK4444

If he’s willing to leave PSG mid season for his opportunity here then I respect that, not that it’s good to leave a club mid season but you just know how awful it must be to work there in that environment, every manager is on borrowed time there and he doesn’t want to miss the boat on his chance at United, so I give him credit for that.

I’d prefer Ten Hag but I’ll give my full backing to Poch if this goes ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.