Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CG1010

Things change. Also, we're abit of a mess anyway. Say one thing, do another.
It was not known that Poch would be really keen to come immediately. I think the thought at the time was that Poch/Ten Hag would prefer to come in the summer.
Things can change quickly. Poch obviously wants to come here now. Its sensible from his point of view. He needs this season to evaluate the squad and have his transfer targets in place for Jan and the summer.
Hmm things could change. I assume the club wouldn't have specifically put in interim manager unless they were very sure as otherwise they didn't need to be specific at all. Let's see. Not very excited about Poch ( he has similar weaknesses to Ole ) but maybe he proves me wrong.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hmm things could change. I assume the club wouldn't have specifically put in interim manager unless they were very sure as otherwise they didn't need to be specific at all. Let's see. Not very excited about Poch ( he has similar weaknesses to Ole ) but maybe he proves me wrong.
Similar weaknesses in that he doesn't coach a team?
Also I wouldn't read into the interim manager statement. Something had to go out to shareholders and fans by way of a statement of next steps and the picture is dynamic, they didnt have all the info to hand (Poch's level of interest being so imminent for example)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Didn't you guys see that the club statement on Ole specifically said they will be bringing in someone INTERIM for this season. Kind of rules Poch out for now right? He can be in it for after end of the season though.
It was only after that that Poch's side seemingly briefed the media that he wanted to come now if possible, and finding an interim manager isn't that straightforward so it is possible the board may feel they may as well cut out wasting the next six months and bring him in now.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Hold on. Walker and Rose were not in any kind of form before Poch got there. Alder was brought in by him after he’d done well at Soton. Dembele was reinvented and his level was taken up by Poch. Son brought in and improved by him. Eriksen had been patchy in his season before Poch (and in his latter Ajax days), Ali was brought in by Poch. Kane was not rated as being anything like he became under Poch. There’s no way someone would look at that side on the day Poch walked in and would say that set of players was anything special.
Alderweireld and Verthongen were very highly rated at Ajax and so was Eriksen. All some of the biggest stars in the last 15 years.

Alli was a hot prospect that had just schooled United and could go anywhere he wanted. Didnt Kane emerge already under Sherwood? Poch did a great job mind to have them performing at their highest, but these were very very talented players even before he came.

Josep Dowling

Would love to have him but just shows the complete lack of foresight by the board. He was available when Ole was made interim manager, and remained available for another 12 months.

At the time we were told they wouldn’t rush into a decision then gave Ole a contract before the season had even finished (and our form had gone off a cliff at that point).

If they believe Poch is the right man they had so much opportunity to get him then, now suddenly they want to employ him when he’s managing PSG? I cannot understand how the board can make such costly mistakes time and time again and not be removed. Compensation to Ole, coaching staff and PSG (if we can actually get him) will be in excess of £10m at least.

Classical Mechanic

Alderweireld and Verthongen were very highly rated at Ajax and so was Eriksen. All some of the biggest stars in the last 15 years.

Alli was a hot prospect that had just schooled United and could go anywhere he wanted. Didnt Kane emerge already under Sherwood? Poch did a great job mind to have them performing at their highest, but these were very very talented players even before he came.
The truth about Kane and Poch is that Poch didn't rate him initially and only gave him a chance when he had no other choice. Kane took the chance.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At least not until Poch would eventually reach 86 points in 2017, which was and is the highest points total in their history.
Whilst true in a literal sense, their league winning 1960-61 campaign was better (but yielded less points, obviously, since you only got two points per win back then).

2017: 2.26 ppg.

1961: 2.30 ppg (translates to 88 pts over 38 games w/ 3 pts per win).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you see as similar weaknesses? Pochettino knows how to coach, he isn't tactically naive and he is supposed to be a demanding taskmaster.

romufc

Our board would probably bring Poch in ASAP because the media told them to.
I mean Poch has been admired by the United board for a while now, so clearly it is media pressure right?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Would love to have him but just shows the complete lack of foresight by the board. He was available when Ole was made interim manager, and remained available for another 12 months.

At the time we were told they wouldn’t rush into a decision then gave Ole a contract before the season had even finished (and our form had gone off a cliff at that point).

If they believe Poch is the right man they had so much opportunity to get him then, now suddenly they want to employ him when he’s managing PSG? I cannot understand how the board can make such costly mistakes time and time again and not be removed. Compensation to Ole, coaching staff and PSG (if we can actually get him) will be in excess of £10m at least.
We dont have 'football people' running the club. It's embarrassing yet that simple.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Mourinho sacked - December 2018
Solskjaer made caretaker - December 2018
Solskjaer made permanent manager - March 2019
Pochettino sacked by Spurs - November 2019

He definitely wasn't available when Ole was interrim. If he was, we would have gone straight for him. Instead, we got Ole, he took us to 3rd and 2nd and Pochettino was then snapped up between then.

KingCavani

He’s going to get them to run.

Given our performances of late that’s fun to think about. Penance for their sins. Conte is running the Spurs players into the ground and Poch will likely do the same. If players can’t handle it they can be moved on. A good way to filter out who fits in his long term plans.

Spurs were last in the distance covered metrics the season before Poch arrived (Southampton were first) and in the next few years they were always in the top 3.

United similarly always hover around the bottom of those stats but Poch will get these guys running so they can implement his pressing.

Ronaldo will probably be an exception but Rashford and Greenwood especially are going to have add serious nuisance factor to their game. They coast by way too often. Rashford got so lazt under Ole and I think the CR7 comparisons that Ole encouraged definitely didn’t help. Although when the club hands out 250k a week to a professional disgrace like Anthony Martial I can see how standards would drop. I think he’ll be out the door in January. Newcastle plz.

There’s a few players Poch will obviously love - Fred, McTominay, Cavani - They’ll be very receptive to his style and we may actually see a coherent unit pressing together rather than the shambles we’re used to. A lot of these players are going to improve, even some we may have written off and some may not be able to cope. I look forward to it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You really don't understand why spending £400M in 2 and a half seasons and spending £400M in 5 seasons arent the same thing?
If Ole had spent that much then it would be a genuine question, but he hasn't so not sure what you are getting at here?

Anyhow, I feel this has rumbled on too much, lets just see how this plays out and hope the board make the right decision, whatever it may be!

LoneStar

I would have preferred Conte if I am honest. But that ship has sailed. I’d be happy with either Poch or Ten Hag at this point. One offers proven reliability in the PL, and seems keen on joining us (big plus). The other is the more exciting, albeit riskier option. We have skipped the latest version of the top manager merry go round, so it is what it is.

With Ten Hag, there are definitely question marks since he doesn’t have experience with multiple clubs. We all know that our club is nowhere near Ajax in terms of structure and set up at the higher level. Can he easily translate his philosophy to a new club and to the PL seamlessly? While we are no PSG, the profile of players are significantly different, and so is the level of scrutiny here.

Also am I the only one who is surprised that Poch is the younger of the two? Quite a difference too!

LoneStar

It was only after that that Poch's side seemingly briefed the media that he wanted to come now if possible, and finding an interim manager isn't that straightforward so it is possible the board may feel they may as well cut out wasting the next six months and bring him in now.
The board should absolutely be happy if this is the case. The new manager would also get a very good amount of time to get to know the squad. We still have everything to play for this season. So much better for a new manager to assess the squad like this, rather than being in charge of the last month of games with nothing to play for.

KingCavani

Whilst true in a literal sense, their league winning 1960-61 campaign was better (but yielded less points, obviously, since you only got two points per win back then).

2017: 2.26 ppg.

1961: 2.30 ppg (translates to 88 pts over 38 games w/ 3 pts per win).
I have it on good authority that Football wasn’t invented until May 1992 so I respectfully disagree.

red_de_pologne

I reckon he will be here after the Chelsea game. While I have some reservations about Poch, I'll be happy to see our players under proper coaches, combine it with the fact the board considered Carrick in charge until summer, I'm quite excited and welcome Poch.

tomaldinho1

I don’t rate the job he did at Spurs that highly

I’m pretty sure most managers could take a top 6 side and make them a top 4 side if you give them a 30 a season striker
Yes because Spurs bought Kane as a 30 goal striker

Ludens the Red

My number one choice. I know lots don’t agree and point to lack of trophies but there’s only three managers out there currently who can boast trophy laden cvs and that’s Klopp, Simeone, Pep and Zidane. We aren’t getting any of them.

He has a record of getting his teams to play good, progressive and attacking football which feck me I feel we deserve after the last three managers and their atrocious football.
We use that as a starting basis and go from there….

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Now you see that's my point and where I disagree with some. People have actually insinuated that he transformed duds with a magic trick while I said that he didn't, he is a good coach that helped talented players achieve their potential. Why people see that as a criticism or underrating is a mystery, I simply don't think that he transformed anyone and I simply think that there is at least two tier of manager above him.
Hard to say though.

In my opinion, this is the case;

1) He plays a type of football I like (did with Spurs and Southampton anyway);

- High press,
- Well organized,
- Proactive football with focus on buildup and transition (possession a key part of it),

2) Have outperformed his resources (or what you would expect) over time with two different clubs in the PL. Looking at both Southampton and Spurs before or after he left, I think it is obvious he did well and that it is not easy being a manager/coach at either club

3) Gives young players a chance

His CV at the age of 50 (next march) is in my opinion impressive. What he did with Spurs is slightly below what we want to achieve. But I also think he has a better chance of performing better at Man Utd than he had at Spurs.

Among the potential managers, I dont rate anyone higher currently. Rodgers dont come close. ten Hag might be a better option, but might also be a worse option. Difficult to say.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hard to say though.

In my opinion, this is the case;

1) He plays a type of football I like (did with Spurs and Southampton anyway);

- High press,
- Well organized,
- Proactive football with focus on buildup and transition (possession a key part of it),

2) Have outperformed his resources (or what you would expect) over time with two different clubs in the PL. Looking at both Southampton and Spurs before or after he left, I think it is obvious he did well and that it is not easy being a manager/coach at either club

3) Gives young players a chance

His CV at the age of 50 (next march) is in my opinion impressive. What he did with Spurs is slightly below what we want to achieve. But I also think he has a better chance of performing better at Man Utd than he had at Spurs.

Among the potential managers, I dont rate anyone higher currently. Rodgers dont come close. ten Hag might be a better option, but might also be a worse option. Difficult to say.
Is it hard to say? Generally people have Guardiola and Klopp at the top with Simeone, Zidane, Tuchel behind them. I wouldn't have Pochettino in the same tier than the second group.
And there is nothing impressive in his CV at 50, if anything he is late compared to other top managers.

Devil’s Trident

So he doesn't have sources at PSG?
He definitely has sources at psg. He is one of most reputable journalists who is also a psg fan and isn’t known for bullshitting. Not only with the club but he also has connections with the players. He even gets invited to the parties. Neymar invited him multiple times himself. I don’t know why the other poster is hell bent on insisting he is a hack like ballbag which he clearly isn’t. He isn’t an attention seeker or bullshitter like him.

Rajma

I still remember that game at OT against Southampton under Poch where we were lucky to come away with a win. They have produced the type of football on the day that I wish he can replicate here on the consistent basis if we get him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Alex Crook on TalkSport says Pochettino's representatives have indicated to United he wants to make the move now and PSG is waiting for a formal approach.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I still remember that game at OT against Southampton under Poch where we were lucky to come away with a win. They have produced the type of football on the day that I wish he can replicate here on the consistent basis if we get him.
To be fair, over the last 7 years we've been outplayed more than once by every single shit team in the league.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Is it hard to say? Generally people have Guardiola and Klopp at the top with Simeone, Zidane, Tuchel behind them. I wouldn't have Pochettino in the same tier than the second group.
And there is nothing impressive in his CV at 50, if anything he is late compared to other top managers.
I think that is a very simplistic way of looking at it, and I cant bother to spend my time thinking like that. Would Pochettino be able to do waht Zidane did at Real Madrid? No. Would Zidane be able to do what Pochettino did at Southampton and Spurs? Probably not. Who would be a better fit at Man Utd, Zidane or Pochettino. In my opinion, probably Pochettino.

If you find nothing impressive in his CV you are as deluded as the people who think he performed some magic trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.